Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I think the problem people have with that People Make Games piece is that it puts the credible allegations of Actual Crimes by management the accusations of unprofessional conduct and vague allegations of toxicity by the founders on equal footing, when really the only pertinent thing in the story should be 'they had their work stole' and they're basically carrying water for management by running 'Kurvitz was burnt out and didn't manage his team well after DE released' so prominently
IDK, I think it did a decent job of presenting the two issues separately. The issues with Kurvitz as a leader don't in any way justify Havel's crimes but I do think it's useful as context to explain why the staff weren't all resolutely behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think the one conclusion the documentary came to that seems kind of correct is that they didn't know what they were signing up for at multiple stages of the process. I don't mean they were naïve or stupid, I just think they trusted the assurances of people Kender introduced them to who were like 'trust me bro,' who then went on to let them down or step aside for someone less trustworthy.

They signed up for the corporate structure because they were told it would be a good way of raising funds, without realising that makes them beholden to the investors. They placed ownership of the IP with a legal entity which was later sold out from under them. They hired a game studio thinking that those people would just be doing the boring legwork for them, as opposed to wanting their own creative input. They stepped down from managerial roles, but thought they would be able to keep creative control.

For all that the documentary allowed its subjects to imply a LOT of things about Kurvitz's behaviour, the worst hard accusations against him seem to boil down to the fact that he still thought this was his thing and that he could overule everyone else, even when the formal stuctures he'd signed up for didn't really allow for that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The book goes into some of that detail too. iirc, the game wouldn't have happened without them getting more people with backgrounds in project management and money and they say as much. They were self aware enough to know they had "sold out" in order to get it made, and borderline encouraged doing so to the extent that it's how you can get poo poo done in this world. Lord knows if they'd still say that today granted.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There's a genuine possibility that this game would never have been made had they not made this Faustian bargain. They lost the rights to it, but at the same time, they were able to get their message out to the world at least once.

How does that come out in the balance? I don't know; there may not be a correct answer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It died in the most disco possible way: murdered by capitalism

They couldn't have written it better

I thought the most disco way to die was being being exploded at a baseball game.

Basically the same thing I guess.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
remember the tv show lol

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's no way it wouldn't have been bad.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Goodbye my sweet prince, please take good care of Harry.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
No amazon show, but at least we have youtube shorts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9JYDs46sLg

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

christmas boots posted:

There's a genuine possibility that this game would never have been made had they not made this Faustian bargain. They lost the rights to it, but at the same time, they were able to get their message out to the world at least once.

How does that come out in the balance? I don't know; there may not be a correct answer.
It's the most leftist thing ever honestly, where you get a message out and then completely lose.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Can’t wait for ZA/UM to auction off the IP in a bankruptcy fire sale and have Epic Games buy it for pennies.

We could see Harry DuBois doing a Fortnite dance and selling Mountain Dew VBucks during the Pepsi Nickelodeon Skibidi Toilet MLK Jr. Memorial if we’re very lucky.

Empathy [Easy: Failure] - Ultraliberalism is the best. The market identified a failing company and is now serving us more heaping helpings of our favorite alcoholic detective! Thanks Epic Games!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've been trying and failing to start a new game out of a bit of despair. I know I've asked this in this thread before but to be clear: how does the emotional prefab build jive with the communist sidequest?

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Propaganda Machine posted:

I've been trying and failing to start a new game out of a bit of despair. I know I've asked this in this thread before but to be clear: how does the emotional prefab build jive with the communist sidequest?

there's an early required check that its weak at, though its a white check that can be retried. there are also important but optional checks during the quest that sensitive is weak at. if you're not too familiar with this game, then be assured that, as is the case for most of the game's content, failing the optional checks enables deeply funny and character-revealing dialogue

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fabricated posted:

It's the most leftist thing ever honestly, where you get a message out and then completely lose.

"Failure. It's about failure... Abject failure. Total, irreversible defeat on all fronts! Absolutely vanquished, beaten, curb-stomped and pissed on -"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
alternate universe Harry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lfq3auK808

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Sindhu World might be the closest thing we've got to a portal to Revachol

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

The Northern Boys are so good and have exactly the right kind of divorced dad energy for DE.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Railing Kill posted:

The Northern Boys are so good and have exactly the right kind of divorced dad energy for DE.

I mean come on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qMM5XkMQw

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I saw this shortly after I started playing the game for the first time. I think my YT algorithm got wise to it. "Party Time" is so on the nose for Harry that a friend of mine thought the song might be written for/about DE. It isn't, but goddamn could it be.

Every single Northern Boys track on YT is a banger. Highly recommended.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Today I discovered that despite me asking after it as a joke, the legendary meltdown cop copotype was, in fact, a thing. You can find remnants of it in the games code: apparently composure was the associated skill.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

NewMars posted:

Today I discovered that despite me asking after it as a joke, the legendary meltdown cop copotype was, in fact, a thing. You can find remnants of it in the games code: apparently composure was the associated skill.

Any associated lore to go with it?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Samovar posted:

Something about acorns. :blastu:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

It would, apparently, make your breakdowns so, so much worse. Including one with the girl on the ice where your espirit de corps would chime in to note that people literally miles away are able to hear your breakdown.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NewMars posted:

It would, apparently, make your breakdowns so, so much worse. Including one with the girl on the ice where your espirit de corps would chime in to note that people literally miles away are able to hear your breakdown.

A little... ice-cop-hat-gently caress show?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbPNys71pY

In case anyone else didn't actually bother with the stickers mode there's a few bits of lore added, quite interesting how the revolution is defeated by corpos after Kurvitz et al. leave the team :'(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
TBF I think the eventual nuking of Revachol was always canon

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's interesting, because the pale implies a lack of useable land, so you'd think that the last thing the moralintern would want to do is render a perfectly useable tract of land ininhabitable. .

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's interesting, because the pale implies a lack of useable land, so you'd think that the last thing the moralintern would want to do is render a perfectly useable tract of land ininhabitable. .

The alternative would be allowing capitalism to end.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Yeah. Given how rapacious capitalism in our reality is destroying the environment for short term gains instead of slowing the gently caress down for long term survival, I'd say that squares.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

By the time of the nuking of Revachol, the book makes it pretty clear that there's only a couple years left before the Pale devours everything, so the Moralintern isn't really thinking straight. Especially since the innocence of that era is a nihilist.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Mind you, the stuff in that stickers is by admission not really canon, and part of disco elysium is that the future, no matter how bleak it may seem in the moment, is not set in stone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That just means that the land that's left is more valuable.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

NewMars posted:

Mind you, the stuff in that stickers is by admission not really canon, and part of disco elysium is that the future, no matter how bleak it may seem in the moment, is not set in stone.

Realism and Optimism haven't been defeated. The future can be an improvement on how it's been seen *prays in Sarah Connor voice from T2*

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I started a lets play of DE for my buddies over Zoom. I'm at the controls for moving Harry around and pickup up poo poo, but otherwise I'm letting them make all the decisions be simple consensus. We're having a great time with 5-8 people at any given time being the voices in Harry's head. So far, they are absolutely committed to appearing to be a normal cop, while running around personifying neckties and mailboxes in his rich, imaginative interior life. They refuse to admit to anyone that they are amnesiac or that anything is wrong. They chose two 1's (in intellect and physique :ohdear:) and have 6 in psyche and 4 in motorics.Harry is an adept liar but doesn't understand anything regardless. He is a stupid coward and we love him like a son. :allears:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Railing Kill posted:

I started a lets play of DE for my buddies over Zoom. I'm at the controls for moving Harry around and pickup up poo poo, but otherwise I'm letting them make all the decisions be simple consensus. We're having a great time with 5-8 people at any given time being the voices in Harry's head. So far, they are absolutely committed to appearing to be a normal cop, while running around personifying neckties and mailboxes in his rich, imaginative interior life. They refuse to admit to anyone that they are amnesiac or that anything is wrong. They chose two 1's (in intellect and physique :ohdear:) and have 6 in psyche and 4 in motorics.Harry is an adept liar but doesn't understand anything regardless. He is a stupid coward and we love him like a son. :allears:

GOD this sounds like fun

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

GOD this sounds like fun

You should record an episode if your buds are up for it, it sounds extremely entertaining

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Railing Kill posted:

I tried doing something similar with my roommates but they weren't interested. :smith:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i know we all had a good chortle at the dude who posted their novella about the best way to spoil DE for a new player, but a friend of mine who has no more video game experience the last 20 years than random phone games and zero PC experience got gifted a copy for her birthday and wants to try it out. does anyone have any recommendations for like, the most barebones useful tips? strictly stuff like shortcut keys or UI things that would have been useful to know, like "you can press B to open your inventory" or whatever. i dont remember the game having particularly good tutorialization for that sort of thing but maybe I'm not remembering, it's been like 2 years since I've played.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 2, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Disco_Elysium is a pretty good list imo, omit the ones you think are too spoilery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Countblanc posted:

i know we all had a good chortle at the dude who posted their novella about the best way to spoil DE for a new player, but a friend of mine who has no more video game experience the last 20 years than random phone games and zero PC experience got gifted a copy for her birthday and wants to try it out. does anyone have any recommendations for like, the most barebones useful tips? strictly stuff like shortcut keys or UI things that would have been useful to know, like "you can press B to open your inventory" or whatever. i dont remember the game having particularly good tutorialization for that sort of thing but maybe I'm not remembering, it's been like 2 years since I've played.

You have to actually put tools in your hand to get their benefit.

Fast travel exists but you need to get a map from the bookstore first (I wouldn't consider this a spoiler).

The game doesn't autosave like you would assume it would, you can easily lost many hours of play. F5 is your friend, also save before anything that looks like a big conversation.

e: Time only actually advances in conversations or when performing actions, you are not on a timer every day when just running around the map.