Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
So glad this is finally out. I got almost to the end on the version I played on Mac but never quite finished it. Such a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I love this game, the new additions that came with the final cut, and the ability to play it on my ps4, finally, BUT...

It'd be really great if it'd stop crashing so much. Last time, I lost a TON of progress cause it happened at the end of a rather long and revealing stretch of dialogue and stuff that brought with it a good chunk of experience, several full thoughts, etc. Sucked to have to go back through all that, cause I am doing my best to stick with whatever happens and roll with the punches. So when I did all that a second time, I had to be careful to pick the exact same stuff, and fortunately both dice rolls came out the same as they did the first time. Anyway. It's just pretty annoying, and I thought maybe the patches fixed it but nah.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Mandrel posted:

yeah it seems like the patches have fixed most everything except the persistent crashing. I’ve developed kind of a sixth sense for it though, multiple times I’ve consciously stopped myself before a doorway and manual saved then entered and immediately crashed on load. wonder what voice that is helping me dodge progress loss, shivers?

If that's how it works, I guess my shivers are getting a little better, too, cause I just did a save before leaving the Whirling and wound up being right about an eminent crash, too.

The biggest pain in the rear end regarding the repeating of lost progress due to a crash that I've encountered: the first time I went through, I failed an easy dice roll, and because I wanted so badly to eat all the consequences I got the first attempt, I wound up repeating it like seven times just to fail a dice roll. I feel like doing that may have made me lose a little more of my mind, lol. Just gonna have to start saving after, like, every serious interaction or bit of progress, I 'spose.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Maybe a dumb question, but because I have a horrible migraine right now and can't really get into playing, myself, I am more interested in watching someone else play. Are there are suggested LPs for this? Don't wanna wind up watching a total idiot (of any sort, idiots with bad politics, included)

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Thanks. I saw that one but wasn't sure. It's probably better than the one I chose, lol. One I chise, I watched her play for two hours just to see her hit Cuno after calling him a little poo poo, so I abandoned that one. I love Cuno (and hate/have a bad history with child abuse (as the victim)), so gently caress that.

Gonna go watch Pat, now.

Edit: the other one suggested I might check out, too, but I was really wanting it to be a Final Cut one, cause my headache has me light sensitive and I'm listening a little more than watching (I am familiar enough with the game and its events and stuff to where this doesn't bother me). I know it might sound stupid, lol. I just hurt too much to play, but am too in love with the game to get my mind off it, so I thought I'd just experience how others play this marvel (which is neat, even if some people wanna hit my sweet bebe speed demon Cuno)

Edit 2: Help! Somebody cut my head off! It's trying to murder the rest of me! (Quoted for how painfully appropriate/fitting that line is for me rn)

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 17, 2021

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Lt. Lizard posted:

His absolute refusal to click on any dialogue option with the word "communism" in it, regadless of the context in which it comes up is completely hilarious and I would be almost sure its just a comedy bit, if I didnt know its 100% genuine.

Sounds funny but also annoying and ignorant af to me.

Guy I'm watching rn is alright so far. He's doing a totally blind playthrough. I dunno anything about him though, never watched him before. Hoping he isn't some shitheaded chud and I just haven't seen the evidence of it yet. Mad Matt Lugos?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Anyone have any idea why Kim isn't offering to pawn the spinners for the cash I need to give Garte? I had to start a new game on my PS5 cause the save data wouldn't transfer, and I've been having a great deal of fun playing radically differently from usual, but now I'm at the end of day 1 and might be fuckin' stuck.

My best guess as to what may be causing this issue is I ran from Garte at the start(e) and into Lena, and as a result Garte agreed to bump what I owe him down to 100 real.. I really hope this isn't what's causing the problem, but I'm almost willing to bet it is.

I spoke to Kim when it turned 21.00 and then spoke to Garte. Did things like I usually do them and all, but then after the conversation with Garte, I'm still not getting any prompt from Kim about pawning them drat spinners.

If anyone can suggest a fix where I don't have to basically start all over, or can tell me if there's a way to come by like a hundred real after midnight, please for the love of god, do.

EDIT: FORTUNATELY, I figured it out. Had to go look in the car is all. Jesus loving Christ, I was nearly panicking because I'd been having so much fun and most my rolls were surprising me in good ways for a change. Didn't wanna have to start over.

Edit 2: lmao, I can't believe the "the man from hjelmdall is a superstar and so am I, so you should give me this tacky tshirt for free" worked. gently caress I love this game sl much

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Here's my input on why I think Disco Elysium is so good despite having a fairly basic and cliche narrative (esp. for the protagonist's development) :

In short, it works because of how well the execution's done--the complexity of the story and its elements, and the way traits and skills and gameplay and player choice can bith drastically AND SUBTLY alter the plot in ways we haven't seen much in games. And all of those positive things link back into how stellar the writing for this game is, and how they're unafraid to try new things and go in new directions. All of that elevates the simplicity of the base concept. It sort of negates the whole sad man misses lover, gets self-destructively hedonistic to numb self and also winds up with retrograde amnesia to justify delivering exposition to the audience because of how obliterated he got being pretty basic.

Edit: also, it's set in a well-built world that actually feels alive thanks to things like shivers and esprit de corpse and inland empire and encyclopedia, etc., which all give you exposition and bits of the story you don't get otherwise. The setting dies a good job at being an original fantasy world that still has plenty of aspects that carry over from reality. It is neither as detached nor as samey as a lot of high fantasy and sci fi fantasy type stuff. Not to suggest there is nothing at all even vaguely like it, but that there isn't much.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 20, 2021