Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

*checks gog*

oh my

hardcore aesthetics blazed through with the update

something's wrong with your screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Still don't get it. The game explains numerous times how Revachol was unfairly and cruelly hosed. Yet the thought to stand for Revachol, and Revacholiere, the soul of it - is hatered of women and gays which I am just not seeing the connection.

I think I'll try fascist playthrough will PSY cop, maybe I'll get it.

Sometimes the abstraction of a fictional gameworld alienates us from the real-world roots of themes, like the connection between fascism and hypermasculine behavior. There's a lot of scholarship on that topic -- you could start with this wikipedia article about explicit policies under Mussolini and here's a scholarly article that more broadly documents the patriarchal policies and social norms of fascist societies. If you're really really interested in this topic, I'd recommend the book Imperial Leather by Anne McClintock -- it traces the connection between colonialism and patriarchy and it is dense.

I don't think there's anything specific about male sexuality in the history of Revachol, and even if there was, it wouldn't be the biggest part that backs this up. In all languages, we use language of conflict and battle when talking about ownership of female bodies -- in all cultures, there's a sense of sexual virility that comes with military power. It's not the only thing that a man might fall back on, when feeling powerless in his own personal life, but there it is.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I mean, I don't think we need to stop having conversations about the connection between fascism and male sexuality, it's part of what this thread's about?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

sean10mm posted:

e: I'm surprised there isn't an achievement for avoiding the final nightmare with Dolores Dei/your ex.

I’d imagine it’s the same reason that you don’t get an achievement for knifing a reaper to death in Subnautica — it helps you move forward with your life, but it isn’t engaging with the main themes of the game.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

A couple days late but I thought about this costume a whole drat year before I got to do it. As an immigrant, a binoclard, and a perennially-patient man with a small notebook, I cannot tell you how important the character of Kim is to me.

"Every school of thought and government has failed in this city, but I love it nonetheless. It belongs to me as much as it belongs to you."

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

It’s just all noise from the pale

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

roomtwofifteen posted:

I know The City and The City has been brought up multiple times as having a DE vibe, but I just started it and it's so good. Thanks thread for the recommendation

China Mieville fits at least three copotypes

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Two recent separate discussions in this thread: "how bad a person is Joyce, really?" and "could we have saved more people?" I agree with what MeatwadIsGod said:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Nah, having a certain level of inevitable violence baked into the scenario is a strength of the game's writing. The game takes great pains to establish that individual actions and beliefs are, in and of themselves, very limited in how much they affect things. It would be disingenuous to leave the reader/player with a sense that they could have steered events completely away from a violent outcome. The class contradictions in Revachol were deepening for decades, and the spark was lit before we got there.

because this understanding of individual limitations is a central theme in DE... but the same language when employed by people in power is also what rationalizes colonialism.

Joyce sends in Krenel because she, as an individual, believes that she can't affect things very much, it would be disingenuous to pretend that someone else at Wild Pines wouldn't do something worse if she didn't make the call, and Martinaise is hosed one way or the other, etc etc. Eventually, you talk yourself into the position where hiring a rapist death squad is like, the best choice? What the gently caress? Normal people don't hire rapist death squads.

edit: I guess what I'm talking about here is power differentials. "My ability to affect things is ultimately limited" is a healthy and sane response to a situation where you can't control everything.

Harry, however, is given some opportunities to have control over others: arresting Klaasje or not, how he breaks the news of the dead guy on the docks to his widow.

Harry COULD think "oh, the way I do this doesn't matter, these people are hosed anyways," as both of those situations are secondary/unimportant to his main objectives. From the position of power it "doesn't matter" how those situations turn out, the same way it doesn't matter how many people die in Martinaise. But it's possible to have discretion, to suspend the apparatus of power in order to be humane. Doing that might not matter to Harry but it matters to Klaasje and to the widow and to anyone else that you could conceivably gently caress over during the course of the story.

Roctavian fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 15, 2022

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Noooo, Joyce actually understands she does, she downplays it but she doesn't shy away from her position and class role. It's not explicitly stated how it went down, but putting the pieces together (which is why playing it again can be very fun - other skills can pick up things that were previously missed in failed passive rolls), it's more or less like this: Joyce comes in after the initial negotiations failed - Claire feels bad for having to resort with "gently caress off midget" with the previous negotiator because the guy is too nice - because the board of Wild Pines or another important director hires Krenel without Joyce's consent. Understanding how incredibly loving stupid that was, she decides to personally come in as negotiator in the hopes of also reigning in the mercenaries and have a speedy resolution.

Of course, she didn't realize how woefully unprepared she was until the endgame when she realizes that Evrart and the debardeurs outmaneuvered Wild Pines entirely when the mercenary got shot. She doesn't understand that the terminal is undergoing a literal takeover until Harry spells it to her.

CLASS RESENTMENT (Normal: Failure) -- There's no difference between any of those rich fucks. Burn them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

For me that Authority portrait is more like, "Authority lives in the minds of those it oppresses"