Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why do people care more about "people being driven out of their homes" than the fact that they are living in abject poverty (i think this is the question the game wants you to ask yourself)

the community youth centre that will render them all homeless, including the three little kids that could benefit from it, is not going to magically fix their abject poverty. the way he goes about it is also incredibly scummy

i’m unionised irl, and trade unions are good, but gently caress Evrart Claire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s like everyone is ignoring that Claire is directly responsible for importing hard drugs into Martinaise, the same hard drugs that Cuno, a literal child, is addicted to

he is no better than wild pines

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Turpitude II posted:

eh, i'm not an expert, but i thought the thing about drugs is that if you want people off drugs, you don't get "rid of drugs", because prohibition doesn't really work, they will get and do whatever substances it's possible to do. if you want drugs to not be a problem, you establish support systems to 1. remove the dire circumstances that cause people to fall into a drug habit (bad home life, poverty, homelessness, lack of education, etc), and 2. allow things like decriminalisation and regulation of supply, so the people who are on drugs aren't in danger while they're on drugs (from the black market street supply of drugs, OR from law enforcement) and have safe methods of getting off them and staying off them.

if you give cuno a stable home life and a future that doesn't just look like "running away from home to join the child-scavenger-occupied catacombs" or "fed into the legal system, either as a junkie criminal or as an officer in an organisation that is known for doling out fines as demands for bribery, excessive violence and murders in enforcement, etc" then maybe riding the lightning might not look so necessary. :shrug:

this is moving the goalpost in this particular instance though. just because social welfare, security, healthcare and any hope for a real future are lacking for many of the people, doesn’t make Claire morally neutral or even good for actively profiting off of the grim chain of illegal drugs.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the funniest line in the game is cunoesse going “gently caress your poo poo back to normal!” when you select the “i’ve got a pig face, it’s poo poo” line after looking in cuno’s shack. she is seriously weirded out by that. it owns

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Hot take: Disco Elysium is a video game and none of the choices the player makes in it are reflective on who they are as a person.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

he’s also similar to Armstrong, in that he’s a piece of poo poo that weird nerds like because they think he’s right

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the short novel The Moscoviad also has a similar energy to Disco Elysium

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I had trouble putting how I felt playing it into words in that other post but you hit the nail on the head here. The first half of that paragraph is how I felt starting the game, then after a certain point it clicked and I learned to embrace the stupid and just go 'Yes this is the most ridiculous thing I could say right now, lets see where this goes' and then the game starts rewarding you by going along with it.

And then it transpires in later dialogue like the 'human can opener' that this is exactly what you're supposed to be like. Electrochemistry was wrong - it was never the drink and drugs that made you awesome, it was you all along. The fact that you can switch styles and forget thoughts in the cabinet meant I went through a sorry cop phase at first, and then became a sober legend for the rest of the playthrough.

Everything about this game should be crushingly depressing, but it just has an incredible way of showing you that even in the bleakest situations there can be moments of hope, laughter, love and joy.

there’s also the part where, if you discover your case folder, it becomes clear that HdB is at root actually pretty drat good at his job, he’s just tremendously messed up.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Crippling that flasher was perhaps not an *ideal* bit of police work, but it was effective

westernJamrock district way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Animal Crossing with Evrart Claire as Tom Nook