Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

victrix posted:

Wait what

"It is possible to soft lock the game"

Is this just odd phrasing of 'there's a game over state here early' or is it actually some sort of endless loop of failure with no possible progression?

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Ah, that's better than nothing.

This may have been updated in this version, but originally, you have to have enough money to pay for your hotel room by the end of the night, you can't progress to the next day without falling asleep in your room. It is entirely possible to reach a point where you can't afford the room and there is no way for you to get enough money to pay for it because all the stores are closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Which skills will give me some kind of high level knowledge of what's REALLY going on in the world?
Like how do I gain an understanding of the political stuff, the pale or spiritual realm. How do I get into the deep political and philosophical debates?

Also on a more general level, is there a way for me to a competent cop who gets his poo poo together and goes through a redemption arc? Mostly I just want to be like "I know what's really going on and you can't fool me"

It's really, REALLY hard to be a competent cop, and those moments are a struggle, which is honestly what I love about the game so much. Your redemption doesn't come from you putting all the clues together and being smarter than everybody else, your redemption is "You know what? You actually managed to not gently caress up that particular thing you were just trying to do", and going from there. And trying to do it again. You hosed up, you will continue to gently caress up, but every so often, you manage to be the right person in the right place at the right time.

Somebody who thinks you're a fuckup will realize that maybe somewhere deep down, you just might have what it takes.

(That somebody is you.)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Chainsawdomy posted:

Taking the opportunity of the final cut to play this through again with my wife, letting her choose everything without putting my thumb on the scale (the only thing I'll intercede on is if it looks like she's going to miss the phasmid). Obviously, this means I'm seeing all sorts of new little lines and combinations, but there's a couple of things I'm surprised NOT to see. The opening conversation with Klaasje can go so many different ways, but I definitely thought her filling you in on your behavior was a pretty set part of it. I went back myself and tried to trigger it, but now I can't seem to. Does anyone know what choices lead to her telling you about your breakdown and screaming 'I don't want to be this kind of animal anymore'?

If I remember right, there's a Reaction Speed check when she's heading back into her room for your cop instincts to kick in and ask her some more questions. Slow reaction speed means she just goes back into the room.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's no real "builds" in this game, only different kinds of loser that you play.

Your're best off spending points when you really want to pass a check and otherwise keeping them in stocl. Though there are a ton of hidden interactions youll miss out on.

Yeah, it can't be stated enough how often the game rewards failure and low skills. Like, there are whole thoughts and stuff like that hidden behind checks that you'll never see if you're too good. Somebody calls you a cowboy, and you start to think "Hey, maybe I AM a--" until your rational brain kicks in and shuts that down, preventing you from exploring that any further. Sometimes you lose by winning, and sometimes you win by losing.