Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You know you wanna jump through the window, Stabler. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Timby posted:

Shadow, in Vanilla season 8, has McCoy setting up a sham prosecution in order to trap an ADA who was on the take. I don't know if SVU has done that specific plot, per se, but I do recall they have done storylines about the prosecution colluding with defense attorneys for a particular outcome, I'm just having trouble remembering specific episodes.

Jack also did a sham arraignment to try and get a plea bargain out of a guy connected to Borgia's death much later on.

I don't remember if it was SVU or vanilla the other time they did it as part of a mob storyline, but I remember because the mob defense attorney cause he was that big, fat John Goodman lookin' dude that they only trot out when they need a really, REALLY contemptible defense attorney.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ha, Gina planted the bug. She's so dead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fartknocker posted:

SVU, I think his name is Callahan or something. IIRC, that guy only started showing up once Benson was in command.

https://lawandorder.fandom.com/wiki/John_Buchanan

This dude.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Huh.

That's.

Actually a pretty interesting wrinkle.

Also, both Gina and foreign guy made it to the end of the episode! :toot:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, that guy!

Anyway, next week we’re gonna find out Kathy Stabler was secretly a drug kingpin or something.

At that point go full insanity and just have her still be alive because they induced fake death and then swapped her body out or something and have her be like, the secret boss above Dylan McDermott.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just had TURN ON THE SUN on Ion. :allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lemme put it this way.

Organized Crime will not scratch your Law & Order itch. But it will scratch your Elliot Stabler itch, if you happen to have one, with all the good and bad that entails. The bad mostly being his horrible family.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh, is there no OC this week?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Robin Williams Supervillain episode is on Ion right now. He is so, so, so great in this whacky-rear end episode. :allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fartknocker posted:

The last few episodes of that season are nuts between that, the defense attorney throwing herself and the client she’s obsessed with off the roof of the DA’s building, and then the last episode with Lake shooting people and Novak getting in trouble.

In the world of goofy-rear end one-season detectives, who is the champion, Lake or Cassidy?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

raditts posted:

I haven't watched SVU in years since I stopped getting cable, I miss the absolute insanity that show descended into and I really need to catch up since they gave Stabler his own show. Is it bad in a bad way, bad in a good way, or Actually Good?

Even funner fact, Diane Neal was two different characters that were both on SVU, first as a rapist and murder accomplice, then a few years later as ADA Casey Novak.

Rollins was a rape victim, Carisi did something and Sisto was a defense attorney one episode before he became a detective!

Hand Knit posted:

I am mildly impressed they managed to make this episode of Law and Order (S20E20, "The Taxman Cometh") about the Bush tax cuts. That's a level of contrivance that's worth appreciating.

That's one of at least two episodes where the DA has to accidentally blow up gay rights to make a case. :lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

HOLY gently caress posted:

Speaking of Raul Esparza, the episode that they're rerunning tomorrow on NBC during OC's usual timeslot is the Barba vs Carisi courtroom showdown one. :siren: LAWYER FIGHT! :siren:

I miss Barba :sigh:

Also where are people watching original L&O at the moment in the US? I looked at Netflix and Hulu and over-the-air tv just seems to have constant NCIS on at all times but no L&O :(

It shows up on weird times at Ion TV and season 13-20 are on demand on Peacock if you have Peacock Premium (4.99).

fartknocker posted:

Ice-T was in Exiled as a pimp or something.

Maybe he was just playing Finn in that one. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It was intended to be Van Buren's write-off, though, right?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm watching old Classic episodes now, does SVU still use "B-Frendz" as the universe's all-purpose off-brand social network or do they actually just call stuff by name nowadays? :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ran into maybe the best example of re-casting in Law and Order, possible even better than Casey Novak: murderer and rapist. I'm watching the episode where a bunch of guys beat each other up in a public park and Jack charges them with terrorism and one of the main guys involved is the dude who becomes a loving supervillain and kidnaps Benson. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I just realized the very easy way to avoid tying yourself to tropes of dangerous cities is to do L&O : FBI so they can just set the story wherever they want and have the FBI investigate crimes the local PD can't then have a federal prosecutor do the trial part.

I think it would also lend itself p well to the original format, cold open shows the setup or the arrival of our FBI detectives to handle this tricky case, then by the halfway point you can do the arrest and the prosecutor working with multiple FBI evidence teams to put them away.

Plus we've had a number of former ADAs head to the federal offices so its a ripe area to mine for nostalgic call back apperances.

Hey, it could be like Criminal Minds, but good!

I think Connie becomes a fed post-Classic, right? Anything that gives us more Connie, I'm on board for.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm offended that Sisto isnt playing Lupo in that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I fell off in the middle of OC and never caught back up and each time I've tried, I just watched episodes of Classic on Peacock instead.

Who wants to talk about the episode where Not Wal Mart bought a bunch of poison Chinese toothpaste?

Also, was the rest of OC any good?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Digital Jedi posted:

And surprisingly this was in Oct 2020 not right after 9/11 as I figured it would have been

I know you mean 2000 but Rudy showing up on Law and Order 2020 would be pretty wild.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Timby posted:

NBC has decided not to move forward with Law & Order: For the Defense (which will be fairly costly for the network, as they didn't order a pilot and instead gave it a straight-to-series order).

That's kinda wack. I was looking forward to that.

Hand Knit posted:

I guess the verdict is in on Organized Crime.

Didn't they already order a second season? Geez, wonder if most of it gets burned off on Peacock.

Man, they don't even wanna make For The Defense as like, something to drive subscriptions to Peacock? What a waste.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If the returns on Organized Crime are as, uh, not good as they look to the point where they're just not even doing For The Defense, I just wonder if we're gonna get a repeat of TBJ or LA, here.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fartknocker posted:

Watching reruns on USA, I forgot someone tried to kill Benson with a bomb in a pizza box.

Season 9 is full on insane and it’s hilarious.

Is that the same one where they went to the place, thought it was a dead end, looked at the door from the other end and OH MY GOD IT SAYS OLIVIA :stonk:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hand Knit posted:

RIP Detective Tamin, suffered the same fate as Detective Lake (death by insufficient popularity with the audience).

Hey, Lake isn't dead. He's just in jail. :v:

Actually I wonder if they drag him back out someday. Been almost 15 years, he could've served his sentence by now!

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 5, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Coxswain Balls posted:

Watching an episode from 2003 about a carjacking which turns out to not be the main plot because they find vials of coronavirus in a cooler in the trunk. I know the original SARS epidemic was a thing back then but it's funny and quaint to run into the 'rona in a pre-Covid world.

Yeah I never forgot the SARS episode per se, but rewatching it and hearing them say coronavirus is a big "whoa, what" moment.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh wow, Classic is coming back. Huh! :stare:

Guess I should update the OP. While I'm at it, would anybody mind giving me a rundown on all the wacky two hour crossovers between OC and SVU so I can put together a viewing guide, both for myself and the OP? :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hooooly smokes Sam looks old.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hand Knit posted:

I was never much of a fan of the late season episodes where murders got tied into 'big politics' issues, especially when it led to things like Bernard and Lupo having an incredibly superficial thematic argument over unions. But, even with that, vanilla never got half as bad as the very special episodes we get out of SVU.

Lupo being anti-union because the police union didn't do anything to help Green when the whole point of that episode was that Green didn't want the truth to come out was, uh, a choice. They had equally weird arguments about abortion and immigration. Those scenes were extremely distracting and out of place and felt like something straight out of SVU where the episode would stop for about two minutes so the squad room could argue about the issue of the episode.

Having said that, 18-20 are still my favorite seasons. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I honestly couldn't stand Fontana. There's an episode where he basically bribes a witness into committing perjury and when Jack calls him out on it, he just comes off like such a no account tool. Relatively, Cassidy was also kind of a tool, but I thought that was kinda the point? She was a green hothead and I kinda liked how that forced Green into the role of being the cooler head for once.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's Benson, she's just all over this show too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think with Cassady they wanted to show growth, but it was too little too late. In the finale, she really screws up and Van Buren goes off on her, but later in the episode, she does very well on the witness stand and doesn't go for Defense Attorney Sisto's bait and even gets an atta'girl from Connie, but like. It's the finale. Too little too late.

Cutter was a huge shot in the arm for the show because it had the side-effect of kicking Arthur Branch out (I know it technically happened in reverse with Thompson loving off into politics, but you know what I mean). As good of a dynamic as Jack, Cutter and Connie had, holy poo poo did the Branch/Serena shtick suck the air out of that side of the show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, it's not airing on Peacock. Guess I gotta wait for the upload.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
- Coming out of the gate with a Cosby episode was something. Dick Wolf, always swinging for the fences.
- I liked Bernard quite a bit. He feels like a decade-older version of his character, I liked the aura around him of "man when did I turn into Lupo?"
- Detective Burn Notice suuuuuuuucked. All the bad qualities of a Stabler with none of the charisma. The Judge just being like "well, I'll just give a jury instruction, it's fine." was kinda wack.
- I liked Price a lot too. Him asking for low bail and then deciding to toss out the bogus confession was a good establishing moment for him.
- Jack looked so old. I kinda didn't like seeing him so wheezy and tired. Also, his line about Defund the Police stunk. This may turn into a leave the memories alone thing.
- I appreciated that they stuck in the line about requesting a short sentence at the end, but was it weird to anybody else that nobody ever even brought up the idea of a plea?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Timby posted:

Sam Waterston is now three years older than Steven Hill was when he left the show following season 10.

Yeah. I get how you have to have Jack for this (I even said in the OP, they had to do this before Waterston retired for good) but man, I dunno.

I wish they'd just done this revival like five years ago.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fartknocker posted:

McCoy retires, leading to new DA Michael Cutter :getin:

Cutter being his same crazy self and Price having to try and be the cooler head to him would be a delightful inversion of the usual DA-EADA dynamic.

Timby posted:

Waterston only signed for a year (as did Anderson; everyone else in the main cast signed deals with options for more seasons), a "McCoy dies" storyline isn't out of the question.

One episode in, I kinda hope they manage to keep Anderson long term, he was like the only part of the Law side of the show I actually liked. :v:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 27, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If there's a way for the OP to change the thread title, I will, but the last time I tried I couldn't find any way to.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

HootTheOwl posted:

The thing about Detective Burnnotice is he spends the first half of his screen time being like "I can't hold my tounge and have to speak my mind always" even when it pisses off people he needs to help make his case.
And then as soon as they think it's her he just lies to her to get her to confess. If he's smart enough to know lying to her and being kind will get her to confess then he should also know to do that for other people while he's investigating.

Yeah, his character isn't a principled jackass like a Stabler or an unscrupulous douchebag that is at least internally consistent like a Fontana, it's just "do whatever will annoy the audience the most at any given time without actually suffering any consequences for it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I didn't watch much of New Classic besides the first couple episodes and he just seemed like a mean kinda racist prick in those, what've they been doing with him?