Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m just glad Conor is back on the blow and is hyping his fights again. That nice guy stuff was no fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I'm not surprised motherfuckers.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Wow Conor made it a whole like three months of not being a total piece of poo poo, he must have been chomping at the bit (blow) to get back to the old ways lol

e: If the cancellation sticks book him versus Calm "Punished" Gaethje, dude seems like he could use a pay day

rideANDxORdie fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 12, 2021

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/hektic_one/status/1381260912615698433

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KELpa9yQo

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Masvidawwwww :3:

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

can't stop looking at the hand in that pic. why is the ring finger extended instead of just flipping the bird?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

lmao top tier reply.

Also it sucks to realise but of course Pat Barry's child bride turns out to be crazy.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Nis posted:

can't stop looking at the hand in that pic. why is the ring finger extended instead of just flipping the bird?

my best guess is that old timey conservatives counted on their fingers really weird. Like, saying "first of all..." and then deciding to account for your first point with your ring finger. Although I have no loving clue

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I too am mad at Rose for not liking totalitarian regimes that are currently committing genocide.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

:mrgw:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Also it sucks to realise but of course Pat Barry's child bride turns out to be crazy.

On the one hand Pat Barry came up in the sanshou circuit and he should have defended the sport over the government.
On the other, he started dating her when she was 17 and he was 35.

BlindSite posted:

I too am mad at Rose for not liking totalitarian regimes that are currently committing genocide.

I think going after a Chinese fighter over everything is pretty narrow minded, especially since she hasn't been noted as vocally pro-government or pro-genocide.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

BlindSite posted:

lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is fantastic, and also man that was such an amazing fight. :allears:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

On the one hand Pat Barry came up in the sanshou circuit and he should have defended the sport over the government.
On the other, he started dating her when she was 17 and he was 35.

I think going after a Chinese fighter over everything is pretty narrow minded, especially since she hasn't been noted as vocally pro-government or pro-genocide.

She specifically said she doesn't have ill will toward Wei Li. Not wanting there to be a champion who can be used for propaganda purposes within a brutal regime isn't crazy.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

BlindSite posted:

Not wanting there to be a champion who can be used for propaganda purposes within a brutal regime isn't crazy.

Can we not talk about Colby Covington right now?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlindSite posted:

She specifically said she doesn't have ill will toward Wei Li.

In this climate, though, her words do have a negative effect on Zhang. It's easy for a lot of people to conflate communism with individuals, same as happened for Covid.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

BlindSite posted:

She specifically said she doesn't have ill will toward Wei Li. Not wanting there to be a champion who can be used for propaganda purposes within a brutal regime isn't crazy.

Saying she represents communism is pretty weird and personal sounding though even if it wasn’t intended that way.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

Can we not talk about Colby Covington right now?

lol

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

It is an especially bad time in this country to stoke Anti Chinese bias and to do that for a loving fight is abhorrent.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

In this climate, though, her words do have a negative effect on Zhang. It's easy for a lot of people to conflate communism with individuals, same as happened for Covid.

Fair enough, but Rose isn't responsible for how others perceive Wei Li as an individual in any context with her comments at large about her motivations against representatives of communist regimes.

She was directly asked her motivation for the fight ahead and she gave an honest answer.

Rose has always been a little... unique in how she sees the world, partly because of past trauma. It's a little harsh to get the pitchforks out for her because she says communism is bad.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

weili: i hope we can have a great fight and then become friends

rose: through christ and the american dream i will smash the red menace

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

BlindSite posted:

"I dont have any ill will towards you personally. but none of your people should be champion"

this is an insane thing to say

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ringo Roadagain posted:

"I dont have any ill will towards you personally. but none of your people should be champion"

this is an insane thing to say

Not at all what she said. Not at all what I was saying but go off king.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

BlindSite posted:

any fighter from china can be used for propaganda. if you dont want that to happen then yes, you dont think people from china should be champion.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

double negative posted:

weili: i hope we can have a great fight and then become friends

rose: through christ and the american dream i will smash the red menace

This is what is confusing for me. As an American, I'm like "woah woah hey don't tell me what my dream is, lady". Does she live in the states now?

The Colby Covington comparison feels about right.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Even though the Reebok deal is done, looks like Dana brought some of the name spell check guys onboard to help run the youtube:

rideANDxORdie fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 13, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BlindSite posted:

Noted government official of the Peoples Republic of China Zhang Weili vs Rose Namajunas for the UFC title.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I guess they're trying to create a kind of Rocky IV vibe maybe?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

BlindSite posted:

she seems like a big fan of the usa though?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

BlindSite posted:

shut up you tedious loving pussy. take your Ben Shapiro semantics and inability to make a simple inference elsewhere

Namajunas has always been stupid and crazy. I doubt that what she’s saying is sincere or well thought out. but she’s also mentally ill and traumatized so I have a hard time being mad over some dumbass gotcha take on the eve of her execution

artism fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 13, 2021

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

I would root for Zhang if she were vocally anti-USA and the imperialist capitalist state. As it is, I'm rooting for Rose because her past ten youtube videos are her earnestly spending 20 minutes reading bible passages aloud front of her webcam.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

I’m glad she’s receiving consolation from religion. hopefully she gets to the part where Christ is explicitly anti-property and egalitarian soon, but it’s a long book

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Noted government official of the Peoples Republic of China Zhang Weili vs Rose Namajunas for the UFC title.

It's hard for some people to separate "citizen of country" from "supporter of the policies of the government of country". I'm guessing the fact zhang weili has brought out the chinese flag after fights (iirc?) doesn't help make that distinction.

This is not an endorsement either way.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

it’s incredible to me that citizens of one of the most callous empires, one that has recently backed and continues to back several totalitarian regimes that have carried out genocide, not to mention our own genocides, are so concerned about what another hosed up empire is up to.

wild that Weill, unlike every other fighter, drapes herself in her flag after fights. completely unprecedented and suspect, you’re right

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

This thread is Wild ride :munch:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Cyber Dog posted:

I would root for Zhang if she were vocally anti-USA and the imperialist capitalist state. As it is, I'm rooting for Rose because her past ten youtube videos are her earnestly spending 20 minutes reading bible passages aloud front of her webcam.

i'm still secretly rooting for rose because i like her style more than zhang's. and you can't really blame americans for being really loving dumb, i've seen what american education is like.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I always liked Rose as she and Pat were both very nice when I met them (they lived one apartment complex over and I'd run into them at Walgreens sometimes) but uhhh this is a bummer

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
anyway uh, shout outs to the ATL crew, had some good memories at this one with yall

https://twitter.com/SweetPmemories/status/1381879548833374208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Much like how Mike Perry can say the n word because he has black parents, Rose Namajunas can stoke McCarthyism during a meteoric rise in anti-Asian rhetoric and violence because she has Lithuanian grandparents