Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rarity posted:

"Nothing works out for me. It even rained the day I was born"
"You got it wrong, you were the lightning in that rain"

What the gently caress even is this

it's like that song about rain on your wedding day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

No Mario, only Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DIP7BiaB1Y

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's extremely "wild west showdown" and I love it

Go up to him and spin your revolver during the fight

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Will you be live posting through that? There's a lot less "Wow!" story revelations than MGS 4 but it's a beautiful game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Zero Time Dilemma has one of the most intensely stupid storylines I've ever seen in a videogame, and I don't mean that in a good way.

There's an idea. What game has a stupid storyline in a good way?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

That game is the definition of good stupid. The president of America suits up in a giant mecha and Fight Terrorism! Or a coup, or something. Look, there's lots of shooting going on, that's the important part.

The Vice President is the coup leader. Good answers all around to the question :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Naming the main character of Persona after yourself has a pretty good payoff near the very end where the main character gets to have a conversation with the "You"

Reminds me of Earthbound

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Disaster Report 4 second report

Lol what the heck is this game! It's like a cross between Deadly Premonition and Shenmue, only instead of kung fu or alternate dimensions there's falling buildings, and most of the time you're just involved in banal and absurd side stuff

I dunno who these games were made for other than me and, presumably, some segment of Japanese gamer

The Black Stones posted:

I’m pretty sure I put Disaster Report 4 in my top 10 for GOTY.

So there’s a small section of us who realize its brilliance. The amount of dialogue options you get for responses is good, and the absurd but mundane stuff is fantastic. Like the game completely flip flops between “ah, we’re just trying to get back to our normal lives after this disaster. Buildings have toppled over but we are okay, wow look at this wacky situation” and “THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE AND YOU’RE ALL GONNA DIE”

A+ hope there’s a Disaster Report 5 coming.

The Disaster Report games have just the right amount of jank to entertainment ratio that if it hits for you, it HITS. I compare it to the EDF series or Deadly Prem. I still need to pick up DR 4.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanna play video games
all the time and every day

:yossame:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Looper posted:

please look forward to my rom hack of yoshis island that replaces the crying baby noises with gex one-liners

"It's Tail Time!"

-Gex

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

It's my birthday :kiddo:

:comfyoot: Happy birthday :toot:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Rarity posted:

Wait was that just the end of Act 1 what :psypop:

:bisonyes:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Fantasy Life is insanely good

Like, for real

:rip: to that game. Too bad there wasn't a sequel. Yep. Tooooo bad.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

stev posted:

Just copy and paste TLOU with TLOU2's assets. I can't think what in that game actually needs to be remade.

Jak & Daxter is right there if they want to do something new with a Naughty Dog property. :negative:

Jak and Daxter X: Combat Racing Remastered

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

I watched YouTube video about a football jrpg and now I'm like "well it is only 20 bucks..."

Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxFEuCgYhpQ

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Haha yep! I like that guy's stuff, he's funny =D

lol yeah. I watched his entire Metal Gear Retrospective. You might know already but for the benefit of anyone that doesn't, he did the music for Umurangi Generation and it has an aesthetic

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1223500/Umurangi_Generation/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ7CFN2ZPZc

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

homeless snail posted:

but most of them are harmless

harmless in a non physical way maybe

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Walla posted:

I never understood why it was called the PSX. What's wrong with PS1?

Allegedly the prototype was called the Playstation X. Here's another. Why is the Gamecube abbreviated to GCN

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

:wrong:

It's the Game Cube Nintendo, we've been mispronouncing it the entire time. Yes even Nintendo has been mispronouncing it. FOOLS!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

I randomly found Stroopwafels at a gas station, first time I've had them since coming to America, they're sooooooo goooood omg

They are toooooo good. I'd eat them all day if they wouldn't kill me

Convex posted:

This Q guy looks kinda burned out tbh

:same:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

i'm actually only half-joking. this is fuzzy due to the mists of time but i recall the first two dungeons siege, at least, being a good sort of trash. it was basically a party-based hack and slash, and they were very long, so if you wanted a slower diablo where but you get to manage 4 or 5 characters (and maybe a donkey?) it was an alright time.

no clue how well or more likely poorly they hold up. I vaguely remember 3 trying to be a much more serious RPG that, among other things, labored under the delusion that anyone cared about the story or setting of dungeon siege.

Dungeon Siege 3 is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExeoT_jZHA

Dungeon Siege 1 has a mod that turns it into Ultima 6, iirc

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Depends how much tolerance you have for jank. Ultima 7 is like...pretty close to an isometric Elder Scrolls game and is considered the best in the series, but I know it can suck to play the best one first and then go backward. 5 is the last one that is in full 2D, but the UI is pretty bad. Up until then though, the series is much more akin to like, a Dragon Quest 1 sort of experience. On GOG, my recommendation would probably be the 4/5/6 bundle and then 7, pick whichever of the first bundle looks the most interesting, then play 7 when you want the game that everyone talks about when they say how good Ultima was

e: I remember in high school I watched some LP of Ultima 7 and I wanna watch another one, but I hate how tough it is to find commentary-less Longplays of 40+ hour games. If there is one thing I have grown out of in my life, it's people who read dialogue out loud in a made-up character voice

World of Longplays has multi hour commentary free playthroughs of games if you're looking for that. Despite the name NintendoComplete do the same BUT neither of them have Ultima 7, yet.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoFX6Cwgiow

That's all I know or care about wrestling contained in one cartridge

this game was dreadful

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

Every time I look up the Japanese title of something I learn that it’s actually like three different puns at once

Japan loves its puns

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Xenogears remake like the FF7 Remake

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Just like Nier Replicant, they had better leave in the only-text dungeon

ALL of disc 2, though? Can't we get some proper dungeons, you know, as a treat :(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Xenogears remake but it is VR and also only the parts involving the chair

It is worse than that. It was originally meant to be 6 games, but the idea was that each 2 games would be their own little duology with their own cast of characters and taking place in their own special place in time separate from the other duologies. Overly ambitious development resulted in the first Xenosaga game not even covering all of the content they wanted to cover in the initial planned first episode, then the 2nd game was just trying to catch up to the rest of the planned first episode but it was such a bad game that the project head was swapped out so that 3 could be made and wrap everything up however they could.

So initially they were going to do 6 ps2 games but of the initial 6 planned games, the first game ended up being split into 2 separate games and the 3rd game had to wrap up everything the first 2 actual releases had built up while not getting into anything that was planned for the planned later games. Actual released Episode 3 ended up needing to wrap up both the planned plots of planned Ep 1 and planned Ep 2 while also dealing with the actual Ep 1 and actual Ep 2 and also dealing with anything that would have likely been planned for later games.

I recall one of the project lead's interviews where he talked about Xenoblade's development and how Nintendo taught him to not work on story before gameplay, to actually come up with some working game mechanics first and then build the story around that later. I think it really shows considering how complete Xenoblade feels compared to previous Xeno games.

First of all :lol:

Second, Tetsuya Takahashi, the director of the Xeno- games has always wanted to make a sprawling multipart epic since Xenogears with it being labeled (spoilers for the literal last line of the game) Episode 5 Not sure if he'll ever be able to get it all together though. Maybe Xenoblade will be it. Seems to have a scattershot approach to directing, as evidenced by your anecdote.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Oh man classic Metal Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srTqxL_6Ysg

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

looks like he couldn't...

get over her

:piss:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

absolute legend

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

The company is called blockchains, they have created no actual products, and according to their website "Blockchains is dedicated to innovating with unlimited velocity" :lol:

During some hearings here in Nevada the head of the company couldn't answer even the most basic questions about how any of this would work, who would pay for it, or what qualifies him to build a city or run a government but our governor is ready to just hand this dude his own autonomous county because blockchains sounds like a tech word and that must mean we'll get jobs from big important job creators and become the new california

Fake it till you make it

Rinkles posted:

gears pop servers pop today :rip:

Pouring one out.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

"Playtesters were too dumb to use the cube on the puzzle so we tricked them by painting a heart on it" is one of my favorite pieces of valve commentary. Top three with Left 4 Dead's "Playtesters didn't know you could duck so we have you autoduck at points" and Half-Life's "Playtesters couldn't figure out this path went in a circle so we got rid of it because they got trapped in a circle forever"

Also "players never look up"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

I got my car :) it's a 2009 Camry. Seems pretty decent.

Camrys are super solid cars. Good choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

stev posted:

make ludicrous bank and hope the situation will be infinitely sustainable.

:capitalism: in a nutshell