Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Lladre posted:

These people really believe that sock Teslas can magically propel themselves at twice the speed of sound on road tires?

you need a firmware upgrade first

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

a real blunder

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
i'm sorry that Elon is Brave enough to Dream

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

a.lo posted:

how am in getting to new york from la in two hours

Easy. Just watch them in order...

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

make an aqueduct from NY to LA where you can hyper-jet ski in 2 hours

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DryGoods posted:

make an aqueduct from NY to LA where you can hyper-jet ski in 2 hours

traveling at the speed of fun!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
lol I started typing in words to explain why I think the stoner fantasy of ultra high speed vacuum tunnels is impossible

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Still, if you want to believe in something bigger pick a deity or the inevitable singularity or transhumanism or loving aliens or anything but a bloated idiot who failed up to divine richness because his family owned blood mines

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

this is my life... this is eternal(how did i ever end up here???)

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Forseti posted:

Did anyone talk about Taum Sauk in Missouri yet? They built a giant reservoir at the top of a mountain and pumped water up during the night when power was cheap, then released it during the day to power a hydro generator to sell back that power when the rates were higher.

Then they ignored the safety features until the dam burst, releasing all the water down the mountain at once and creating the "scour". The area where the water came crashing down the mountain got blasted away such that the rocks you can see in that part now are like a few million years older than the stuff around it. Ooops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taum_Sauk_Hydroelectric_Power_Station#2005_upper_reservoir_failure

at least with pumped hydro the concept is sound, though the execution here was somewhat lacking

quote:

A combination of design and construction flaws, continuing to operate the dam when the primary system for gauging the water level was known to be inaccurate (gauge pipes had become detached), moving the "failsafe" secondary gauging system above the actual height of the dam to avoid false positives, and operating the dam in an unsafe manner by routinely overfilling the reservoir caused the upper reservoir dam to overtop.[22][3] There was no overflow spillway in the original reservoir.

it's amazing nobody died despite the best efforts of brain geniuses all around

quote:

No one was killed by the failure. The superintendent of Johnson's Shut-Ins and Taum Sauk State Parks, Jerry Toops, his wife and three children were swept away when the wall of water obliterated their home. They survived, suffering from injuries and exposure. The children were transported to a hospital in St. Louis and later released. One child was treated for severe burns which resulted from heat packs applied by rescue workers as treatment for hypothermia.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
what if we build two big ramps between ny and la, then we could just coast our razor scooters down them. energy efficient!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Britain pretends to be a real country but then goes into eight days of mourning because the queens consort died.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a.lo posted:

how am in getting to new york from la in two hours

It's 2800 miles from LA to NYC.

Google says an SR-71 can do 2200 mph and has the range, but I don't know if it could do takeoff to landing in 2 hours.

If all you wanted to do was take off in NYC and blast it until you passed LA then crashed into the ocean ... probably.

e: Assuming the fuel range accounts for also going max speed.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

what if instead of vacuum we filled the tunnel with superfluid liquid helium

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

you can’t gently caress a hyper loop tunnel

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Can't wait for Elon to invent the transportation system used in The Jaunt and for every dipshit fan boy to excitedly talk about how clawing your eyes out from insanity is what he meant to have happen and why can't you see what a genius he is.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Britain pretends to be a real country but then goes into eight days of mourning because the queens consort died.

beats thinking about brexit i guess

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

brugroffil posted:

horny is prohibited

no it’s not

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Huxley posted:

It's 2800 miles from LA to NYC.

Google says an SR-71 can do 2200 mph and has the range, but I don't know if it could do takeoff to landing in 2 hours.

If all you wanted to do was take off in NYC and blast it until you passed LA then crashed into the ocean ... probably.

just like visiting alpha centauri, still counts as a trip if i fly at full speed through my destination without bothering to decelerate

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
DMX being overshadowed by pedo prince

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I don't understand this tesla thing

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Dustcat posted:

how about instead we get universal healthcare in this country

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also assuming you can google "SR-71 maximum range" and get anything close to a real number.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

use the tiny subs Elon

fill the hyper loop with water and use the subs.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a.lo posted:

that wouldn't be very dystopian

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Crusader posted:

just like visiting alpha centauri, still counts as a trip if i fly at full speed through my destination without bothering to decelerate

I guess you could also technically crash INTO LA. That would stop you under the clock.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

a.lo posted:

another classic a.lo knee-slapper

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

not with that attitude

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

a.lo posted:

no it’s not

:mods:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Dustcat posted:

superfluid liquid helium-4 is loving weird because the spin in those atoms is such that they can collapse into one another the way matter normally.. well, doesn’t

Crusader has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Apr 9, 2021

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

sorry your dick is so small

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

oxsnard posted:

now I know why my boomer parents are always saying so-and-so "whips the llama's rear end"

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

it’s too late

a lo is the mods now

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Dustcat posted:

at least with pumped hydro the concept is sound, though the execution here was somewhat lacking

Oh yeah, it's a sound and good idea for building a big rear end battery, it just fell victim to :capitalism: here

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Crusader posted:

superfluid liquid helium-4 is loving weird because the spin in those molecules is such that they can collapse into one another the way matter normally.. well, doesn’t

Look nerd, turmpo!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Elon Musk, thinking strongly:] what if, hear me out... children build the hyperloop network? they have fantastic low-light vision and after all it’s a heck of a line on the ol’ resume. Hell, with time, I’d even consider hiring a hyperloop mole child to shoot at Mars

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Crusader posted:

superfluid liquid helium-4 is loving weird because the spin in those atoms is such that they can collapse into one another the way matter normally.. well, doesn’t

good, figure out a way to put it on the blockchain, here's a billion dollars

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
America's infrastructure is crumbling. Turmp knew.

We need hyperloops connected to our toilets to suck our big american logs away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
maybe the johnson shut ins people wanted more natural waterslides