Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
These are the same people who don't get flu shots because it made them* feel "icky" once.

* it made someone ELSE feel "icky" and they've purloined the story as a self-justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

I vaguely remember a story about some Canadian burger chain that tried to expand into the US with a promotional third pounder the same price as a McDonalds quarter pounder. And Americans got pissed at the company for ripping them off because three is less than four.

McDonald's actually had "Angus Third Pounders" somewhat recently and they didn't last. Pretty sure it was the price that killed them off and not 'Murkans not bein' so good with the math.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I mean, lol and all, but Boehner can still get hosed.

"I spent my whole adult professional life stanning for a political party that said weed was as dangerous as heroin! Now that I'm retired, though - 420 smoke trees e'eryday!" :troll:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-18/ex-speaker-boehner-can-score-big-on-pot-deal-with-weed-legalized

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 2, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

As someone who has to use an Oracle product to do their time sheet, let me just state that I support Oracle getting hosed hard by regulators, courts and the market.

Google can be next.

I'm pretty sure it could come out that Google's predictive algorithms are powered by the hearts, brains, and souls of third-world orphans like Doctor Venture's "Joy Can" and people would collectively shrug because NOT having said algorithms would moderately inconvenience them.

Wasabi the J posted:

I thought we knew Bannon and Co were the online disinformation dept for Trump. Also wasn't there a video where someone hosed up by entering the password for Q's trips or whatever a couple years back?

Like anyone can reverse the trips but it's loving ridiculous people think it's real.

Giving Bannon a seat on the NSC was probably the worst loving self-own security breach of all time. I envisioned him sitting in archives gobbling up dossiers like DeVito's Penguin looking up first-borns to kidnap in Batman Returns.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 6, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This is a metastasis of the old "the flu shot makes you sick/gives you the flu" bullshit.

Every time I've gotten into this argument with anyone, pre-COVID, that is, they always front as if it was *them* who "got really sick once," but if/when you press, it always becomes "a friend of a friend of a friend" or some horseshit like that.

There's also a healthy amount of "them doctors think they're so smart," too.

But you also can't discount the worst anti-vax motivation, which is "people give me attention when I say I'm not getting the vaccine. If I get the vaccine people will stop trying to convince me to get it."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

It gets better - the internet tracked down his desk.

https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/1379229163769405440

There's so much to digest there.

First, I'd guess the main reason he's been so quiet is that it gave him time to get four years' worth of bronzing, chin liposuction, and a Devil-grade facelift done.

Second, the subtle jab at Papa Fred by putting his picture behind everyone else's.

Third, I'd bet cash money the paperclipped papers under the paper he's clearly not reading is part of his daily intelligence briefing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Clear: https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/04/08/fbi-lake-county-bomb-squad-perry-power-plant-ongoing-law-enforcement-situation/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, I sometimes drive that stretch of road between VA and the NC border and you better believe I drive the speed limit and make sure all of my lights are working before I get south of Richmond. I’m a white dude with a clean record but know I’m more likely to have a bad encounter with a bored cop on a power trip there than just about anywhere else I visit.

Don't speed (but keep pace with traffic) through Caroline County. The VAStaPo is especially active and lovely along the stretch of I-95 that goes through there.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 10, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

~24h since Pfizer #2 and other than a persistently sore upper arm and some joint/muscle aches, nothing too weird.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's depressing that there is never a time when this isn't relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEMIUy_ySA4

Especially 1:32.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The thing I hadn't seen yet was the black guy who refused to leave the convenience store because he knows horny-for-murder cops when he sees them.

"There's nothing I can do for your eyes."

Horseshit. They just took water from the convenience store less than 50 feet away that almost assuredly has milk and Maalox in it. There's also no way that rig doesn't have some kind of Maalox in it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 12, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Just finished watching the video in its entirety. IANAL, but it was very "nice" of those two loving pigs to say all of that legally-actionable poo poo at the end, trying to cover their own asses by using implicit threats to his career.

I hope he bankrupts that loving department.

Unfortunately lovely cops also learn things from situations like this, and what's going to be collectively drummed into their heads is "don't make small talk when you know you've hosed up, make sure they're still scared of you because, remember, you're GOD."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 12, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PeterCat posted:

For people who act like every day is like going on patrol in Fallujah, once they've got the LT in cuffs they seem to lose all worry about any other threats.

The only thing that matters to them is their *inflicting* themselves on whatever target "Other" they've decided is worth their attention and ire at that particular moment.

Something else happens? Meh, that's someone else's problem and paperwork. Besides, they were also in a well-lit area. :troll:

You could almost make a drinking game out of the amount of times the word "minority" was said. I'm still getting over the bootlicking EMT who was stanning for the cops, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

And let's be honest: We need to remove guns from normal police. They've proven they are incapable of having the discipline or self-control in handling a firearm.

This won't happen without open and concealed carry going away, and that won't stop criminals and mass shooters from breaking the law and using guns anyway, and as the response to protests nationwide have proven, when you remove lethal force from the equation and provide LEO with an abundance of less-lethal options, they use the less-lethal options to lethal extents and extremes, like braining someone with a tear gas canister at close range or purposely shooting pepperballs and rubber bullets at no-go areas.

This is a Pandora's Box that cannot be closed by one single action.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 13, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's not a violin small enough to convey my feelings about this.

Not even *this* small?

violin

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m sure we’ll keep bombing Afghanistan regardless of whether or not there are troops stationed there.

And I'm sure the next Republican president will find a reason to send an "exploratory force" there to keep the cash register ringing. If there were Burger Kings and Subways on bases in Vietnam in the 60s we'd probably still be there.

There's too much money to be made ensuring are truups have the "comforts of home" in the purest :capitalism: way possible.

"We won't pay *you* any more money for risking your life, but we'll subsidize fast food companies out the rear end to serve you $1000 burgers for MSRP in a warzone."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

READ THE ROOM :colbert:

https://twitter.com/JATayler/status/1382730113444372481

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Itchy posted:

I will probably regret asking this, but why would anyone oppose this?
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1382886393156878338?s=19

Notice something they both have in common?

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/lauren_boebert/456805

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/marjorie_greene/456814

My guess is they're both intending to vote "nay" on loving *everything* and play the "we didn't vote for ANYTHING the liberals wanted because we're badasses" angle when it comes time for re-election.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

stealie72 posted:

More inequality than the gilded age, but this time the peasants are armed to the teeth...

We can't have a mass uprising, that might jeopardize our pensions/retirement accounts! :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

We need to pull out every interpreter, Afgan govt worker, ANA SOF, or Afghan intel person that wants to leave.

Those poor loving people are going to be massacred and lose the civil war against the Taliban.

Take it further and offer no-questions asylum for girls who are old enough to make rational decisions for themselves and women of child-bearing age.

Get Canada in on it as well. Any country that's had boots on the ground in Afghanistan for the past TWENTY loving YEARS should offer to take in people who are going to be brutally murdered and/or subjugated when we leave.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the dmv

District Maryland Virginia.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blue Angels are about to do their first program of the year with their new jets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDf0-IHkqg

It's a low program, though. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I don’t have a masters in security studies or anything but uh... are y’all having a little civil war?

Technically...not yet.

When people who've never known hunger other than "I skipped lunch" in the US start going hungry for the first time...all bets are off.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I wonder what’s going to happen when the statewide moratorium on evictions expires 45-60 days after the pandemic “ends.” That kind of seems like the “Wiley E. Coyote running off the edge of the cliff but not falling until he looks down” moment except with people shooting at sheriffs deputies coming to evict them.

I can't help but hope/think this might be what deep-sixed the fifty grand of student debt relief thing. They just can't say it outright because THE ALMIGHTY NUMBER hates presidents and policymakers doubting it.

The banking industry :hmmno:-ing it is far more likely, though.

Abongination posted:

American insurgency

Everybody gangsta until the thermobaric Hellfires pop their buddies like human water balloons.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I haven't deleted my vaccine appointment confirmation emails simply for an additional layer of proof.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hillorifying.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Elijah McClain was murdered by cop administered ketamine, so gently caress that excuse

Yeah, that's what I worry is the "next step" after all of this. Cops routinely calling in EMTs to chemically restrain/sedate "difficult/resisting" suspects with Ketamine or Haldol. Then they'll probably figure out a way to bill you for the EMT visit and dispensing of drugs.

"NON-LETHAL RESTRAINT!" :troll:

To say nothing of whether or not you say something self-incriminating while under the influence, they'll claim you said it BEFORE they spiked you up with :catdrugs:.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

They already had one incident where they killed a kid doing so.

I know, that's why I worry that it's "the future."

Imagine cops with tranq darts. "Well, he didn't go down with just one, so we shot him with 53 of them. He went down then!" :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That Works posted:

Woulda been nice if he died painfully and slowly of it.

There's a "Stranglehold" joke to be made somehow/somewhere...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm surprised they didn't make it 88oz. Christ.

They probably would have if it didn't mean paying for custom bags.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Looking forward to calling all District dwellers "Dougies."

(this'll never pass)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

They should have to call in trained killers who are held to a professional standard if they want to shoot their guns. No more of this reasonable officer bullshit.

Eric Prince just got an erection and doesn't know why.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Iran simply didn't take existing overhead footage from YouTube, grainy it up, and add a bullshit overlay.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anxiously awaiting the "completely unprovoked hostile action" taken by totally Ukrainian troops and not Russian mercs that reverses this and "justifies" the invasion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Iain posted:

...maybe some lakes thank you.

Brain-eating amoebas: https://www.insider.com/rise-of-brain-eating-amoeba-naegleria-fowleri-in-us-waters-2020-7

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, the next big crash will likely be engineered to double-kneecap the middle class. They learned something from 2008, alright - that crashes can be leveraged as a "nuclear option" in class warfare.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Light beer is the original hard seltzer and just as goddamned disgusting.

If you're gonna pay someone to give you bread and water in a can, get the most bread and the least amount of water possible.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Here's a link about it.

https://fireaviation.com/2021/04/23/the-747-supertanker-is-ceasing-operations/

Incredibly dumb move by the government to not offer a blanket contract to keep them afloat.

FREE MARKET :capitalism: :downs:

The better question should be whether B-52s could be rigged with water tanks. Talk about good low-level real-world precision drop training.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 26, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I remember reading somewhere that the 747 wasn't as good for precision dispersal as the DC-10 because of vortices scattering the drop.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They were certainly good at PR, though. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Expected to be worse for Democrats than it turned out. NY juuuuust missed!

https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1386764332218912769

I'd imagine the DNC is already considering ways to alter/redistrict NY-14 to gently caress over AOC.