Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As far as is being reported today, a Syrian SAM fired at an Israeli plane, missed, and it landed near an Israeli nuclear site.

that sounds less than good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ded posted:

Math. Math says it would not survive.

Unless that boat was made out of materials that are normally used in certain russian sub construction and it went that deep its gone.

edit :
I didn't realize the test depth was so deep for that class. 500M is pretty deep.

It would be possible to be alive then yes. But I do not remember how deep our rescue craft can operate.

Test depth is the the deepest a sub can go and be able to emergency blow and get to the surface without propulsion. Crush depth is always deeper than that but not by a huge amount.

The biggest problem they will have is freezing to death if the pressure hull is intact.

They may also be running low on oxygen depending on how many crew members survived the impact, severity of damage control operations, what means of secondary oxygen production they have, etc etc. That's assuming they survived whatever casualty caused them to go deep and not blow to begin with.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/04/22/business/biden-taxes.amp.html

Surprising nobody health csre expansion was left out of stuff we can tax the rich to pay for

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

RFC2324 posted:

that sounds less than good

These situations are impossible to figure out because everyone in the region is oscillating between WE OWNED THEM and THEY OWNED US and THEY OWNED US BUT WE OWNED THEM HARDER and nobody tells the truth about any of them. Yesterday an Israeli military spokesman did the "we owned them, their missile wasn't even close" door #3 kind of press release.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ded posted:

Math. Math says it would not survive.

Unless that boat was made out of materials that are normally used in certain russian sub construction and it went that deep its gone.

edit :
I didn't realize the test depth was so deep for that class. 500M is pretty deep.

It would be possible to be alive then yes. But I do not remember how deep our rescue craft can operate.

Test depth is the the deepest a sub can go and be able to emergency blow and get to the surface without propulsion. Crush depth is always deeper than that but not by a huge amount.

The biggest problem they will have is freezing to death if the pressure hull is intact.

Thats why I was asking if there was better info, theres other sources about that specific sub that claim only 250m but also had it changed pretty greatly after a recent refit. I don't know much about subs but is it possible that the base hull is significantly stronger than say all the sensors and everything it was outfitted with? ie, the German shipyard had this great sub down to 500m but Indonesia didn't need that so there was a cost down option for a bunch of stuff yet the main pressure hull is still the 500m one?

idk, just seems like theres an outside chance the math lines up for them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, unfortunately the big Achilles heels is, ironically, because this isn't a nuclear sub, it cannot continuously generate more electricity to make more oxygen, so yeah assuming they are still running on batteries and their endurance on battery is maybe a day or two at best....that's gonna be the killer.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Grip it and rip it posted:

They may also be running low on oxygen depending on how many crew members survived the impact, severity of damage control operations, what means of secondary oxygen production they have, etc etc. That's assuming they survived whatever casualty caused them to go deep and not blow to begin with.

o2 is very easy to produce. they should have lots of o2 candles on hand. lack of power however means no way to heat so they will freeze. this is all of course assuming that the people tank is not full of water.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Have any of these lost sub events ended well?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats why I was asking if there was better info, theres other sources about that specific sub that claim only 250m but also had it changed pretty greatly after a recent refit. I don't know much about subs but is it possible that the base hull is significantly stronger than say all the sensors and everything it was outfitted with? ie, the German shipyard had this great sub down to 500m but Indonesia didn't need that so there was a cost down option for a bunch of stuff yet the main pressure hull is still the 500m one?

idk, just seems like theres an outside chance the math lines up for them.

If the refit reduced test depth from 500m to 250m it may just be that too much extra weight was added for it to reach the surface with an emergency blow. It may have had no effect at all with the actual crush depth.

edit : it was probably a bunch of hull cuts and modifications tho from the refit. if they are alive I hope a rescue is possible.

CainFortea posted:

None that I can remember.

ded fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 22, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Deep water terrifies me and submarines are like the delivery vessel to my nightmares for these specific reasons.

So glad I couldn’t join the navy because (of all things) my driving record. I was going to go nuke.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

CainFortea posted:

Das Boot did if you turn it off in the last 15 minutes.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

boop the snoot posted:

Deep water terrifies me and submarines are like the delivery vessel to my nightmares for these specific reasons.

So glad I couldn’t join the navy because (of all things) my driving record. I was going to go nuke.

Deep sea gigantism is the stuff of my nightmares. Sharks terrify me as well, what demon spawn is just a tube with a razor sharp tooth lined mouth?! I will stay here on the land or maybe some lakes thank you.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Reading the casualty response cards for situations like these was always pretty terrifying.

ded posted:

o2 is very easy to produce. they should have lots of o2 candles on hand. lack of power however means no way to heat so they will freeze. this is all of course assuming that the people tank is not full of water.

I don't disagree, but when I read "Indonesian Navy" I don't have any references to draw any conclusions from. I don't think my boat ever did any kind of exercises or anything with Indonesia when I was there. It looks like their Navy made an announcement that the ship would only have sufficient O2 to last until Saturday, and I don't see anything at all about what they would or could be doing to prevent CO2 buildup.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ded posted:

None that I can remember.

A small Russian research sub sank or got tangled up in underwater netting for several days but was freed and the crew saved a couple years after the Kursk was lost. Apart from that you have to go back to before WW2 to find a peacetime sub loss with a remotely happy ending: the Squalus, where most of the crew survived.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
There was the USS Squalus in 1939 that had a successful rescue!

https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20190519/squalus-sinking-tragedy-and-triumph

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In my estimation, the luckiest bunch of bastards on a fouled up submarine ever were Savvy Cooke and the crew of the S-5, who went "To Hell, by compass" and survived. Why this hasn't become a movie I don't know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In 2012 and 2016, the SCOTUS set up rules for when someone could be sentenced to life without parole as a juvenile. Today, in a 6-3 decision, that is overturned and we're essentially back to previous regime of states being able to lock up minors until they die without any special findings or restrictions so long as it is not mandatory that they sentence someone in that fashion.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1385241031038410753/photo/1

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Iain posted:

Deep sea gigantism is the stuff of my nightmares. Sharks terrify me as well, what demon spawn is just a tube with a razor sharp tooth lined mouth?! I will stay here on the land or maybe some lakes thank you.

I've got some bad news for you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

In 2012 and 2016, the SCOTUS set up rules for when someone could be sentenced to life without parole as a juvenile. Today, in a 6-3 decision, that is overturned and we're essentially back to previous regime of states being able to lock up minors until they die without any special findings or restrictions so long as it is not mandatory that they sentence someone in that fashion.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1385241031038410753/photo/1

This was basically expected. This is what the GOP wanted was rulings like this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Iain posted:

...maybe some lakes thank you.

Brain-eating amoebas: https://www.insider.com/rise-of-brain-eating-amoeba-naegleria-fowleri-in-us-waters-2020-7

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Iain posted:

Gators are amphibious, so, uh, go north, young human.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Tuesday night there was apparently a gigantic explosion in New Hampshire and they just figured out what caused it.

80 pounds of Tannerite used in a gender reveal.

https://twitter.com/Schreibernews/status/1385342004666765319

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/god-awful-blast-that-rocked-nh-towns-was-gender-reveal-explosives/2361205/

CONGRATULATIONS, IT'S A REPUBLICAN

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Why is that poo poo legal again?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Like bump stocks and arm braces, they thread the loophole of Technically Not Illegal.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

How much tannerite can you buy at once? Is there even a limit?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's not. Setting off 50+lb at a time is considered misuse and can be prosecuted. It's meant to be used like a quarter pound at a time at a distance of hundreds of yards.

The explosion in question happened at a ready mix concrete supplier. Not sure what the justification is but I would guess it was an industrial purchase.

e: It also probably helps that no one that has failed a paper bag test has hurt anyone with it to date.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 22, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HEY BOSS YOU EVER READ THE SECOND?! sHaLl NoT mEaNs ShAlL nOt!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

e: It also probably helps that no one that has failed a paper bag test has hurt anyone with it to date.

This and the fact that no one has gone full McVeigh with it. You used to be able to buy bulk amounts of ammonium nitrate until ol' Timmy went all tugboat at the Murrah building.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The explosion in question happened at a ready mix concrete supplier. Not sure what the justification is but I would guess it was an industrial purchase.

https://giant.gfycat.com/OrganicSilverEft.mp4

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

For the same reason that you can sell grape juice and yeast to minors. Its not legally an explosive until mixed.

Tannerite is prilled ammonium nitrate, oxidizer, and aluminum powder which is extremely similar to fertilizer (ANFO) bombs.

"Ammonium nitrate is a common commercial fertilizer that can be used to
blast potholes. The prilled form (spherical pellets) mixed with No. 2 fuel
oil is the most satisfactory type and is classed as a blasting agent (Mathisen
et al. 1964)"

from ARTIFICIAL. POTHOLES--BLASTING TECHNIQUES US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS WILDLIFE RESOURCES MANAGEMENT MANUAL
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a213541.pdf

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Binary explosive. It's safer to transport and handle than even fireworks. Being an impact explosive, it's not terribly easy to set off. Knocking it off a post or dropping from relatively decent heights won't set it off, it's very stable. They had to change the formula so it'd work with rimfire ammo, standard tannerite needs something like 5.56 to set off, higher velocity, harder impact.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's not. Setting off 50+lb at a time is considered misuse and can be prosecuted. It's meant to be used like a quarter pound at a time at a distance of hundreds of yards.

There's literally tons of videos of people using 100+ pounds of the poo poo on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edRbcTXAijY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4MeBBphPi4

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Also simply possessing ammonium nitrate in Afghanistan is going to send you to forever jail in gitmo even if you don't possess any of the other precursor chemicals. Unlike in the US where we bundle all the precursor chemicals together.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I didn't realize that tannerite was mostly ammonium nitrate.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

PookBear posted:

Tannerite is prilled ammonium nitrate, oxidizer, and aluminum powder which is extremely similar to fertilizer (ANFO) bombs.

Holy poo poo, i never realised that Tannerite was ammonium nitrate

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/equalityAlec/status/1385222123598274564?s=20

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Holy poo poo, i never realised that Tannerite was ammonium nitrate

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6848366?oq=inventor+daniel+tanner

"said oxidizer composition including ammonium nitrate in an amount between about 50% and 100% by weight, and ammonium perchlorate in an amount between 0% and about 50% by weight;
said catalyst composition including aluminum powder and minor amounts of titanium sponge and zirconium hydride;"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jesus Christ we're hosed. This is so jacked up.

Biden's pick for us attorney in Louisiana was jailing people who could not pay illegally collected debts and was in judged to be violating people's 14th amendment rights.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Well she's a woman of color so good news lib Twitter will be saying you're a racist sexist for opposing this any minute

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm more surprised about the other half being aluminum powder, that's usually a good a way to get a visit from ATF all by itself. I guess they're able to slide because it's in some kind of binder?

E:

Wasabi the J posted:

Jesus Christ we're hosed. This is so jacked up.

Biden's pick for us attorney in Louisiana was jailing people who could not pay illegally collected debts and was in judged to be violating people's 14th amendment rights.

Jesus Christ what's next is he gonna put the Kids 4 Cash guy on the high court?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 23, 2021

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
All of these moves make complete sense if you view Biden as a republican from 1994, which he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Bad Poster posted:

All of these moves make complete sense if you view Biden as a republican from 1994, which he is.

Wanna feel really depressed? Compare Republicans from 1994 with Republicans from 2021.