Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

this is exactly what it is. aquilini is one of those idiot message board posters who projects the latest crop of draft picks into being "solid 60pt 2nd liner" based on the 2g 1a game they had against north dakota. the canucks are gonna dominate once rathbone, juolevi and pod mature into superstars alright?

Or we could just trade them for other teams first line star, Ive thrown in a 3rd and a 5th to balance the trade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Don't cry for me, I'm already dead

At least you've got Pettersson and Hughes to watch

granted they'll be squandered but imagine how much worse it'd be without them

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

At least you've got Pettersson and Hughes to watch

granted they'll be squandered but imagine how much worse it'd be without them

Actually it makes it way worse because I know something is being squandered. At least from 2014-17 it was just a generic rear end zero talent dumpster team. Now they're a two talent dumpster team who'll give me that slight glimmer of hope while the Oilers and Leafs trade cups over the next five years.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Well, if Vancouver is becoming the 2015 Oilers, that means they're only six years away from respectability.

The only other thing they need is the best player on the planet.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

The amount of reaction this single tweet has gotten in 15 minutes in all corners of the canucks internet is hilarious

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Actually it makes it way worse because I know something is being squandered. At least from 2014-17 it was just a generic rear end zero talent dumpster team. Now they're a two talent dumpster team who'll give me that slight glimmer of hope while the Oilers and Leafs trade cups over the next five years.

I saw a tweet today asking if you'd rather Aquilini or Melnyk.

The thing about Ottawa is that besides Melnyk trying to spend below the floor every year they're a reasonably managed team. They're stuck in a perpetual rebuild due to ridiculous budget constraints but they generally make shrewd moves for a rebuilding team.

For Benning's entire tenure they've not only not made any progress towards rebuilding, they're perpetually several years deep in a hole due to multiple boat anchor contracts and a failure to acquire draft picks. They're net minus picks in that time, somehow.

If Melnyk suddenly hosed off one day, Ottawa would have a clear path to contention. Vancouver on the other hand would need years just to get back to normal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What's the play here? You can't sell hope anymore. There aren't any notable prospects left on the horizon. Tossing management might actually buy the team a couple years good will. Instead they're going back with the same failed group and same poisoned management that even reddit turned on. How do you market this? If they're concerned at all about the brand, this is not the way to fix anything. They've squandered so much good will under Benning. The fans will see right through any shameless attempt to buy credibility by slapping a famous face in front of the cameras. I get that Aquillini is a terrible businessman, but this is something else.

fisting by many posted:

The only other thing they need is the best player on the planet.

The two best players.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I cannot imagine the reaction in the arena will be anything but embarrassing for the franchise unless Covid return somehow overshadows this. I guess this is what we get for daring to hope.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I've been doing a lot of thinking on this subject in recent years and came to the conclusion that I, and many others, actually deserve it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 19, 2021

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol nucks

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

What's the play here? You can't sell hope anymore.

The worst part about it? The fans havent been able to boo in person. Quickest way for a fan base to tell mgmt they blow is to stop going to games. The problem of course being that theyre arent any tickets to not buy. Id ask when the media and fans just turn on the team, but I feel like this has probably already happened and the team is just so out of touch that nothing will change.

Its a lot different than the Canucks teams I remember hating so vividly with the Sedins. I honestly want something to hate so that the PNW rivalry with Seattle can be something awesome.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Sedins should know better than to blow all their goodwill with Vancouver fans for a few million bucks. If they take jobs from Aquilini and start trying to defend him and Benning in public the fans will turn on them fangs fully bared in approximately 0.8 seconds

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

fisting by many posted:

I saw a tweet today asking if you'd rather Aquilini or Melnyk.

The thing about Ottawa is that besides Melnyk trying to spend below the floor every year they're a reasonably managed team. They're stuck in a perpetual rebuild due to ridiculous budget constraints but they generally make shrewd moves for a rebuilding team.

It's hardly a perpetual rebuild. Ottawa made it to game seven of the conference finals in 2017 and looks to be turning the corner now, winning 10 of 14 in the last month of the season, with their top six scorers being ages 21, 27, 21, 22, 24, and 19. That 24-year-old has also been a #1 defenseman for the last six years. They'd be looking pretty good if Matt Murray wasn't the worst non-Flyers goalie in the league, and he's signed for 3 more years at 6.25m, oof.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I used to think that Aquillini just took the path of least resistance but the easy, crowd pleasing choice was firing the GM this time so I have no idea what he's going for here.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

"i'm right and you're wrong"

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/1394797677401972737

How do you commit 25 million and then not sign the guys preferred coach..

If Clark wanted to leave Im sure he would have told Demko and he wouldnt post this, so really wtf. I kinda cant wait till Clark leaves and then Demko lets in a few softies first game back - Twitter will go wild.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

The meddling owner needs a weak and stupid GM to push around, and the stupid GM needs the puppetmaster to remain employed.

Anyway, I'm out. There's no hope following this sad poo poo franchise until the dunces leading it are turfed.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

It's hardly a perpetual rebuild. Ottawa made it to game seven of the conference finals in 2017 and looks to be turning the corner now, winning 10 of 14 in the last month of the season, with their top six scorers being ages 21, 27, 21, 22, 24, and 19. That 24-year-old has also been a #1 defenseman for the last six years. They'd be looking pretty good if Matt Murray wasn't the worst non-Flyers goalie in the league, and he's signed for 3 more years at 6.25m, oof.
They were a rudderless team in the 2010's and making the conference finals in a flukish run didn't change anything about that. They also have to commit to spending money soon since a lot of guys on entry level contracts are relied upon, and we're still talking about a team that has to make significant improvements to be a 1st round exit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Zodijackylite posted:

Only thing worse than overpaying a guy for a Cup he helped you win in the past is overpaying a guy for a Cup he helped somebody else win in the past.

And then there's what the Ottawa Senators did, which is overpaid a guy for a couple Cups he helped somebody else win three poor and injury riddled seasons ago.

Really weird move for such a notorious cheapskate team.

e: while typing this I just realized Frederik Andersen is probably going to be the Penguins goalie next year

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Neither Benning or Treliving getting fired fuckin rules

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They were a rudderless team in the 2010's and making the conference finals in a flukish run didn't change anything about that. They also have to commit to spending money soon since a lot of guys on entry level contracts are relied upon, and we're still talking about a team that has to make significant improvements to be a 1st round exit.

I'm not saying they were good, but it seems like it's only been the last few years that they were really rebuilding.

I definitely won't dispute that Melnyk will probably gently caress it up, though.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://twitter.com/MrBooth_7/status/1394850930353344513?s=20

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm not saying they were good, but it seems like it's only been the last few years that they were really rebuilding.

I definitely won't dispute that Melnyk will probably gently caress it up, though.

Ottawa's last decade is really weird. They had stable, above-average goaltending for most of that period, plus 2 of the best players in the league at their position in the prime of their careers (Karlsson/Stone), and they spent that whole time wallowing in mediocrity because they had no ability to build around them. They traded away promising young players for peanuts (Zibanejad), and then decimated the farm for overrated and overpaid stars (Bobby Ryan, Matt Duchene).

It's... almost like the current Vancouver Canucks?

e: Dorion gave up and fully committed to the rebuild in ~2018, and I think he's done a decent job of it since then, Matt Murray trade notwithstanding. The Karlsson trade seems to have made up for the godawful Duchene fiasco.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 19, 2021

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks season mercifully dies this afternoon. The next 48 hours are going to be hilarious. Cmon Aquillini man, gently caress me up I deserve it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

P sure owners and management just think it's a good team going in the right direction. Maybe needs a tiny adjustment, but that's mostly a PR thing.

lol

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I think it isnt that hard to make the Canucks a fun competitive playoff team. What I dont see is the path to them being a cup contending team, there just isnt the pipeline of talent left in the system, which is really damming.

Part of me thinks they dont need that much more to get to the bottom half of the playoffs. Right now can you imagine doing opposition research on the Canucks, ok so top line (pretending Petey is in) yep we need to not give them lots of space, they are legit. Horvat line, well they are forced to spend the whole time hard marching against our top line so thats not a huge issue. Ok now lets look at the threats on the third and fourth line... and done. Lets look at the defensive guys in the bottom six who could tie up our key scorers... and done (maybe Motte I guess..) net result is team that is super simple to match up against.

The Canucks have some good attacking defenders, obviously Hughes, but Myers and Schmidt are all guys who can spring a forward/jump up on the rush, and Rathbone looks to be the same. Obviously all of them have issues in their own end. However all can help an offence, but right now for most the game the guys they can spring are either playing conservatively (Horvat line) or have literally no ability to generate offence (bottom six). Canucks have some of the most attacking minded defenders in the league as a group but get gently caress all out of it. The amount of times Ive noticed a Canucks defender make an aggressive pinch or nice breakout pass only to realise the outcome is more ozone time with almost zero prospect of a goal because of who the forwards on the ice are.

Having a legit 3C who can actually play tough minutes would do so much to fix the balance of the team. Motte and Highmore (or sub in your favourite member of the sea of granlund) is fine as a 4th line, Canucks just need a couple of pieces to push guys down to where they should be playing, half the lineup is playing above their level and it makes everything look 10 times worse..

Still need to fix the defence, maybe pump Rathbone with PP1 minutes next year and see if his trade value can be increased, he might develop into a fun player to watch, but hes one of the few expendable assets as everything he (projects to) do well Hughes does better. There isnt much else to trade..

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Having a legit 3C who can actually play tough minutes would do so much to fix the balance of the team.
[/quote]

Can I interest you in one Brett Howden? He's tough, smart, has grit and amazing character. Everything you want in a third line Center, and he even blocks shots!

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Dusting off the ol' account to express my distaste for this lovely team owned by idiots. You'd think that with Seattle entering the league there would be some impetus to finally admit that Jimbo is an idiot, but Franky the Water Boy will never admit that he's wrong.

Go Kraken!

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks season mercifully dies this afternoon. The next 48 hours are going to be hilarious. Cmon Aquillini man, gently caress me up I deserve it.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/05/nhl-announces-canucks-current-season-will-still-be-happening-at-beginning-of-next-season/

Best part:

quote:

This has been a bit of a tough stretch for us, said Canucks captain Bo Horvat. Most of us got a potentially life threatening disease, then we had to play an exhausting amount of games in a ridiculously short time span. Now it looks like well be playing this season forever, in a meaningless Sisyphean struggle where we slowly get our souls crushed and bear witness to the true banality of capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The last game has finally started so I say good riddance to this stupid scheduling contrivance.