Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fisting by many posted:

So, we're looking at 2024 now for the bad contracts to be over. Assuming Benning isn't extended after 2022-2023 he probably won't be able to sign any more anchors past 2026 at the latest. In 2027 Petey, Hughes and Boeser will be 29-30, just past their primes. So that's our contention window.

If we're lucky we can tank the '22 and '23 seasons and maybe draft a couple of core pieces too.

He's gotta lock up Sutter and Vesey at 6x6 a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Here it is. Matt Martin officially on the Drai/McD level. Time to pack it up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hockey is my favorite sport because even the shittiest players can do stuff like this

except jack johnson

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That's not at all what I meant. I'm talking about the play McDavid/Draisaitl make when there's a bunch of other things that most players/teams would do on a 4on3. Firing a one-timer from the corner is about at the bottom of the list and its clear that's their play all along.

Throwing a wrister from the corner when the goalie misplays is not what I'm talking about at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The worst player in the NHL is still one of the best hockey players of all time.

Except John Scott. John Scott was never good at any level.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aphrodite posted:

The worst player in the NHL is still one of the best hockey players of all time.

I think a player that makes an all star game worth watching, regardless of how they do it, deserves some degree of respect.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

That's not at all what I meant. I'm talking about the play McDavid/Draisaitl make when there's a bunch of other things that most players/teams would do on a 4on3. Firing a one-timer from the corner is about at the bottom of the list and its clear that's their play all along.

Throwing a wrister from the corner when the goalie misplays is not what I'm talking about at all.

Wrong sport to move those goal posts.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

That's All-Star Game MVP John Scott to you :colbert:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Wrong sport to move those goal posts.

I said McDavid and Draisaitl so it's pretty obvious I'm not speaking about just the shot but the play itself but keep on keepin on!

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Jim Benning is just so unbelievably loving stupid

Edit: actually at this point it's entirely believable and unsurprising

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I said McDavid and Draisaitl so it's pretty obvious I'm not speaking about just the shot but the play itself but keep on keepin on!

I take your point but again that specific example doesn't really hold because as someone mentioned, Guentzel and old man Crosby do that combo at least once a season and while cool goal-line shots and behind the back no-look passes are not exactly examples of otherworldly skill anymore.

Now it's all about lacross goals

goldrush posted:

be glad it's not 6 years, $3.5 million my friend

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

goldrush posted:

Problem is the ownership are so onboard with it all. If Benning was going to be not resigned because of his terrible terrible contracts then they wouldn’t have let him sign another. So that probably means he’s also getting an extension.

That said, I don’t think this one is as bad as others, I think Pearson will provide decent (slightly overpaid) value for the contract. He’s one of the few guys who can actually play defence, provided he doesn’t slow down too much I don’t think he will become a liability.

The problem is after all the other dead weights adding in even another 500k -1 mil of lost value is really limiting.

Let’s just hope now he doesn’t run out of time to sign petey and Hughes...

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Oh wow a no pressure zone entry against a bottom 3 team in the league leading to a goal that Sid, Byfuglien, Girox I think has a few, and Matt Martin scored. Yeah definitely something only Drai and McDavid could do.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

VOTE1 posted:

Problem is the ownership are so onboard with it all. If Benning was going to be not resigned because of his terrible terrible contracts then they wouldn’t have let him sign another. So that probably means he’s also getting an extension.

That said, I don’t think this one is as bad as others, I think Pearson will provide decent (slightly overpaid) value for the contract. He’s one of the few guys who can actually play defence, provided he doesn’t slow down too much I don’t think he will become a liability.

The problem is after all the other dead weights adding in even another 500k -1 mil of lost value is really limiting.

Let’s just hope now he doesn’t run out of time to sign petey and Hughes...

He really, really can't afford to slow down
my biggest knock against his Pens tenure was that he was already just barely keeping up with the play
Great hands, smart enough, slower on the rush than Patric Hornqvist

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aaron Portzline says David Savard is being held out of tonight's game vs. Tampa.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He really, really can't afford to slow down
my biggest knock against his Pens tenure was that he was already just barely keeping up with the play
Great hands, smart enough, slower on the rush than Patric Hornqvist

Yeah agree and that’s the variable between slight overpayment and loui is. Normally I’d say I’m sure the team has done their analysis with fancy science stuff to track his skating technique and have determined he’s a lower than average chance to drop further (given the large amount of money they have thrown at him), but yeah I suspect the vibe of things has more to do with it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Give up assets for Toffoli then let him walk and sign 4.25 x 4 so he can be almost a PPG player in Montreal and then turn around and lock down Pearson 3.25 x 3. Toffoli literally has 3 times the amount of points. Was the 1 mil and 1 year savings worth it Jim? Toffoli doesn’t even have trade protection!

I thought they shortened Benning’s leash...I’m so sorry Vancouver

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The biggest thing for me is not Pearson's contract value as a player, but his value as an asset in the current cap environment.

Guys like him making 3m are negative value right now. Yes, he can help your team, but there are many other Pearsons. 3m in cap space is worth substantially more than one Pearson. Teams will pay you to take their Pearsons.

There is zero upside to this move and no urgency to make it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fisting by many posted:

The biggest thing for me is not Pearson's contract value as a player, but his value as an asset in the current cap environment.

Guys like him making 3m are negative value right now. Yes, he can help your team, but there are many other Pearsons. 3m in cap space is worth substantially more than one Pearson. Teams will pay you to take their Pearsons.

Yeah it’s not a massive overpay it’s just horrible cap management when you let better players walk and the players you actually sign are not good enough to justify taking cap space from a team that has a very large bill coming it’s way in regards to its young stars. Also can’t fathom why they felt the need to give him trade protection.

The classic lose lose contract. I love it

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Pearson was worth significantly more as a rental player than whatever the gently caress he is now.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

fisting by many posted:

Exactly. I don't mind Pearson, but he's easily replacable.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

WeaponX posted:

Give up assets for Toffoli then let him walk and sign 4.25 x 4 so he can be almost a PPG player in Montreal and then turn around and lock down Pearson 3.25 x 3. Toffoli literally has 3 times the amount of points. Was the 1 mil and 1 year savings worth it Jim? Toffoli doesn’t even have trade protection!

I thought they shortened Benning’s leash...I’m so sorry Vancouver

The Oilers lets Chiarelli sign Koskinen to that funny contract like a week before they fired his rear end, who knows

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

The Oilers lets Chiarelli sign Koskinen to that funny contract like a week before they fired his rear end, who knows

It was literally the day before he got fired, but from what I recall that was an entire management decision (so Keith Gretzky et al.) rather than just Chiarelli going rogue as a last "gently caress you"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

:sigh:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gimme that Hall news already. I wanna see him for for a 3rd and a bust then put up $GOALs

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks news cycle is so depressing.

Media: "We're hearing the Canucks are going to do something that makes no sense for them whatsoever, instead of the obvious move that does."

Fans: "Wow that makes sense, don't do that."

*two weeks later*

Media: "Well they're about to do that stupid thing and it's going to be way worse than you expected."

Fans: "Oh God please don't."

*two days later*

Media: "well they did the stupid thing and it still makes no sense but it's not quite as awful as we said two days ago so actually it's quite astute."

Fans: "it still seems like a ba-"

Some idiots: "WOO YEAH GREAT DEAL LET'S FUCCKING GOOOOO"

This repeats forever until you die.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That 7-8 year stint where the Sedins were both super good was pretty neat to watch though, eh?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That 7-8 year stint where the Sedins were both super good was pretty neat to watch though, eh?

Those were good times.

Ah, if only losing to Boston and LA didn't give Aquilini brain poisoning.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

fisting by many posted:

Those were good times.

Ah, if only losing to Boston and LA didn't give Aquilini brain poisoning.

The money did that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

VOTE1 posted:

Yeah agree and that’s the variable between slight overpayment and loui is. Normally I’d say I’m sure the team has done their analysis with fancy science stuff to track his skating technique and have determined he’s a lower than average chance to drop further (given the large amount of money they have thrown at him), but yeah I suspect the vibe of things has more to do with it.

the canucks entire front office is 3 people. their in house counsel is also their advanced stats guy

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1380310538404696065

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I stopped following the Canucks after Benning hosed up the 2014 draft trades and honestly it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Guess he should have used his elbow

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Bought an Aho jersey tonight, he scores the first goal. Kismet.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Podkolzin now has to come in on an ELC next year and be a middle six hit for Vancouver without question. There is no margin for error now. No pressure, Vasily!

This team has no plan

goldrush fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 9, 2021

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Edmonton Oilers swept the Ottawa Senators in their 9 game season series, all wins in regulation no less.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nocheez posted:

Bought an Aho jersey tonight, he scores the first goal. Kismet.

Aho is cool and good

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Canucks haven't lost a game in over 2 weeks, Benning is a genius for not selling at the deadline

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/1380331486423945216

I was waiting for a stat like this :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am very curious what happens with Vince Dunn using the n-word.

I mean we all know what's gonna happen but