Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

If I were MacKinnon, I'd be budgeting out how many times I can toss a helmet at a dude per game and still live in my mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

In a surprise multiball draw, the Rangers will select first in the 2021 draft!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

I don't follow non-Rangers teams very much, does Brady Sjkei still kind of suck now that he's on the Hurricanes?
Also lol at Dubinsky. I hate Torts but I do like some of the Torts lifers (Dubinsky and Fedotenko come to mind).

He's been pretty okay in Carolina. Probably not five and a quarter okay, though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The climate meant they weren't able to celebrate in the traditional Missouri way and now they have a serious case of the thin blue balls.

But I was reliably told that policemen don't have balls.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

At what point does Benning skip the preamble and start strangling his players?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Benning rules because he makes me feel good about the Predators, and that takes some doing these days.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Thufir posted:

In the running to get stomped by Tampa or Carolina in the first round

It could be Florida!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Imagine if OV hadn't missed time with the lockouts/COVID. I mean, there's still a chance he beats Gretzky but with another 100 or so games?

God willing, Uncle Vova will call him back to the motherland to play for St. Petersburg before it even gets close.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

What a good night for hockey it was.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Wonderllama posted:

They don’t call much in canes/lightning games presumably because they are letting two good teams “decide their own fate” but it’s hard to be sure without Tim peel announcing it over the arena mic

It's definitely swingy and it definitely depends on who's playing. The NYR/CAR set of the play-in last year was the strictest reffing I've ever seen in NHL games, and it immediately evaporated the next round.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

Same with goalies, you don't need more than 2 because there's no way they'll both break or start sucking at the same time.

Simply have both of your goalies suck to begin with and you'll never have this problem.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I thought Nashville was looking pretty solid in the standings but digging deeper it looks like its mostly just been stomping Chicago (6-0-1), Columbus (5-1-0), and Detroit (6-2-0) while getting blown out by every other team in the division. If they make the playoffs they are going to get wrecked.

Any other teams going to scoot into the playoffs in a similar situation or is the Central just that lopsided?

Central Division has an extreme divide between the really good teams and the really bad teams. Nashville is riding some incredibly lucky circumstances in other teams slumping at really opportune times to be where they are - the Preds absolutely should have more losses against at least Chicago and Columbus, and probably Detroit if I'm being honest. If everything was proceeding normally, I think Dallas would have them neatly put away by now.

It's just absolutely fantastic to see Carolina escape the meatgrinder of the Metro.

I think the closest comparison is the Western Division, with whoever comes in fourth place getting eaten alive by Vegas. I assume it's going to be St. Louis when the dust settles.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Carolina delivers stunning defeat to the referees, and also the Panthers were there.

14 PIM in the third alone, come on.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Also two shorthanded goals from Aho, including this Mighty Ducks kinda bullshit.

https://twitter.com/NHLGIFs/status/1385394358644523014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Aho owns. Definitely underrated for playing on a nothing team.

Hey, Carolina's not a nothing team. They're a group of plucky underdogs, a batch of scrubs and schlubs with heart, and they're absolutely going to get murdered by the rich kids at Camp Tampa.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Turner acquiring the broadcast rights is just step one in the surprise return of the Thrashers to Atlanta. The only question is which underperforming Canadian franchise gets reassigned this time.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Looking forward to him stewing in his coaching job after nine seasons of poo poo.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Hockey... good??

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Vasilevsky has been outright absurd all year. Even with recency bias against him, it's hard to say he doesn't deserve the trophy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

The contrast between Vasilskiy (.929) and his backup (.879) is astounding. In contrast, the Oilers backup has an above-average save percentage.

For context, the backup here is Curtis McElhinney, a goalie who was actually too sucky for Carolina. Tampa is a land of contrasts.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Wilson sucks and nothing will be done about him because this league is a joke, an unending parade of clowns, and just as funny as a man in too much makeup screaming at you in a dirt lot that stinks of elephant feces.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Suspend DPOS, from a lamppost.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

How many multiples of $5000 will the Rangers be fined for that statement?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/Skillsy75/status/1389722566273687559?s=19

I don't have an opinion on his actions but I like his actions

It takes some doing to stand out as a moron among the Nashville broadcasting staff, but Gill sure manages it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Does Kuznetzov actually have any trade value

Dangerous question for a Canucks fan to ask, imo.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Cartoon Man is extremely disappointed that New York Rangers forward Pavel Buchnevich was not suspended for his horrifying act of violence last night at Madison Square Garden. Buchnevich is a repeat target of the Washington Capitals with a long history of violence due to his recent head trauma and I find it shocking that the NHL and Department of Public Relations failed to take the appropriate action and suspend him indefinitely. Buchnevich's dangerous and reckless actions cause Tom Wilson to look bad and will prevent him from knowing the taste of human blood for the rest of the season. I view this as a dereliction of duty by all teams in the NHL, and also I guess Mantha was there too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

lol this league sucks

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

There is essentially no trade you can make out of prospects and picks that provides anything close to a reasonable return for Jack Eichel.

Edmonton has a guy who'd be worth their while.

It'd be amazing. Two franchises with generational talent that absolutely cannot loving win, again.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Carolina's had their best season in a decade and they're going to get swept by the Preds first round, who are in turn going to get utterly atomized by whoever survives Tampa/Florida.

At least it was a good game to probably end Rinne's regular season career on. :unsmith:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Flyers should absolutely trade Hart, and I have a recently renovated Petr Mrazek to give them in exchange. Great deal, best price, only one left.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Do Canadian courts punish frivolous lawsuits/can the captain/company counter-sue in such a way that perhaps this sea captain becomes the senators' owner

Vexatious lawsuits have pretty strict standards for penalizing the person filing suit, and the captain's best bet would be to file a defamation claim before Melnyk does. Canadian courts and Commonwealth courts in general are wildly, absurdly in favor of plaintiffs in defamation cases.

So no, Ottawa will continue to suffer until the NHL decides it's time to take ol' Yeller behind the shed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

If there were ever a time for multipuck, it's now.