Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Schremp Howard posted:

Kind of crazy to think how Marleau hit this record while losing a a season and a half to labor disputes and a global pandemic. I’d love to see a huge book of “what if” that just explores stats and records when the last of these players retires.

Jagr alone is fun to speculate, especially if he never left for Russia.

The wildest what-if is if Gordie Howe didn't retire for two years and play six seasons in the WHA. If he scored 25 goals per year over those eight seasons, he'd have 1000 goals and 2300+ games played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

The wildest what-if is if Gordie Howe didn't retire for two years and play six seasons in the WHA. If he scored 25 goals per year over those eight seasons, he'd have 1000 goals and 2300+ games played.

Gretzky probably still catches him but takes until his time in St.Louis

For points anyway

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Inaugurate a new special wing of the hall of fame for complete dickheads with Roenick as a founding member. There are plenty of Ulf Samuelssons to add from the past, and Brad Marchand and Corey Perry and Dustin Brown et al for the future.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Harrold Ballard wing?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Can't wait for the Rangers to get loser pointed out of the playoffs this year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Schremp Howard posted:

Kind of crazy to think how Marleau hit this record while losing a a season and a half to labor disputes and a global pandemic. I’d love to see a huge book of “what if” that just explores stats and records when the last of these players retires.

Jagr alone is fun to speculate, especially if he never left for Russia.

Imagine if OV hadn't missed time with the lockouts/COVID. I mean, there's still a chance he beats Gretzky but with another 100 or so games?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/greggkrupa/status/1384299730578989060?s=20

ahahahahaha :suicide:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Imagine if OV hadn't missed time with the lockouts/COVID. I mean, there's still a chance he beats Gretzky but with another 100 or so games?

Didnt Gretzky lose 2 seasons as well to lockouts?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also I think Ovechkin was planning on playing in Russia for the 2004-05 season regardless.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

Also I think Ovechkin was planning on playing in Russia for the 2004-05 season regardless.
No chance

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Why aren't you guys talking about Luongo being the gm of team Canada? I hope he does good and sticks around. Hockey is better when Bobby Lu is involved.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Koopa Kid posted:

So David Rittich is in fact starting tonight, which wouldn’t really be notable except after Sunday’s debacle when Keefe was asked what Campbell needed to get through his stretch of terrible play he said “get back in there and play” so this is a change of plans.

Ilya Mikheyev has some sort of injury but William Nylander won’t be scratched for missing a team meeting after all so good and bad news. With Hyman/Mikheyev out and Foligno still in quarantine the Leafs will probably have some interesting lines as the game goes on.

Rasmus Sandin is also playing tonight :hellyeah:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

God willing, Uncle Vova will call him back to the motherland to play for St. Petersburg before it even gets close.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Furnaceface posted:

Didnt Gretzky lose 2 seasons as well to lockouts?

Not two full seasons, in 92 and 94 games were still played...78 altogether so he missed just a bit over 1 full season with those two labor disputes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

Why aren't you guys talking about Luongo being the gm of team Canada? I hope he does good and sticks around. Hockey is better when Bobby Lu is involved.

He was also named assistant GM for the 2022 Olympic team.

e: He will be in charge of goaltending and twittering.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Mikko Rantanen was added to the Covid list, the day before the Avs come back.

Cool, super neat.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

fancy stats posted:

This is awesome work, thanks. I remember the Suzuki/Anderson/Drouin line was kicking rear end at the beginning of the season, probably worth it to see if they can capture lightning in a bottle again.

No worries. I like digging into these kinds of things and I find Drouin's rise/fall/story as a player interesting. So I kept poking around a little bit and the only determination I can really make is that sorry Montreal traded for a pretty meh player.

Changing gears slightly I started looking at powerplay stuff. In the first 2 years Drouin was in Montreal he had 38 of his 99 total points on the powerplay. I find this is particularly weird since in '18-'19 Montreal had a 13% powerplay on the year. Of 31 powerplay goals Drouin scored 3 and assisted on 13 (8 primaries). Drouin leads the powerplay in assists with 3.37/60 and primary assists of 2.07/60 and a 4.14 point per 60 which is best on the team of the main PP players. This is a big drop off from '17-'18 where Montreal put up 52 powerplay goals on 244 chances. That year Drouin was playing 3 minutes + on the powerplay per game and the combination of Drouin, Petry, Alex Galchenyuk, and B Gally appear to be supremely effective. If I remember Weber was out a lot of the year with a leg injury. Well he returns and sucks all the air out of the room with 3:36 of powerplay time per game over 26 games. A Galy gets traded and Weber becomes the main powerplay man. Drouin and Montreal go from 21.3% PP to 13% and 5.23 points per 60 to 4.14 per 60 respectively. From 3 minutes per of powerplay Drouin falls to 2nd most at 2:24 per game as Montreal moves to a pretty even distribution in powerplay time across their units. Kovalchuk leads the team in powerplay time at 2:26. Kovy puts up 2.23 points per 60 for 4th worst of the 10 powerplay players. Drouin is 5th with 3.7 points per 60 on the powerplay. Tatar and Suzuki lead the team with ~5.5 points per 60 on the powerplay. The very 50/50 split in powerplay time continues this year and Drouin is ticking along at a disappointing 3 points per 60.

Now lets go back to Tampa. '16-'17 Drouin has 25 of his 53 points on the powerplay. Turns out playing 3 minutes a night with Stamkos, Kucherov, and Viktor Hedman is really good for your totals. Drouin isn't a slouch either putting up nearly 7 points per 60 for 4th best on the unit, but provides a bit of everything finishing at the 3rd best rate and racking up plenty of first and 2nd assists. '14-15 is when Drouin sort of bursts/appears on the scene. Spends most of his time with the 2nd unit gets 3 goals and 3 assists. Ranks him 11 of 14 on points/60 with that Tampa powerplay, however, players like Brett Connolly and Alex Killorn are getting more ice time producing very little.

So far this is appearing to be a masterful pump and dump by Tampa. How about the 5v5 numbers Rex? In actual results 2014-15 Drouin puts up 25 points at 5v5 for 8th best forward on the team and on a per 60 basis Drouin is 6th best on the team. He does this playing a bit with everyone. Drouin drags up most everyone he plays with and looks like he could be a good top 6 player putting up shot splits, xG, and goal splits among the best Lighting forwards. We're skipping '15-16 for obvious reasons I guess, but the numbers are about the same so still looking like a potential top 6 forward on a really good team. 2016-2017 is where the ground gets shaky. At 5v5 Drouin becomes a coin flip player instead more of a 55% leaning player. He plays mostly with Killorn and Val Filp, but tons with everyone else as well. He doesn't really seem to mesh very well with most players and flat out drags Tyler Johnson down. He and Kucherov seem to put up decent numbers together along with Boyle.

REEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXX GEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT TOOOOO THE FUCKKKKIIINNNNNN POINT!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah sorry uh what was my point? poo poo. Oh right. The player Montreal thought they were getting doesn't exist. Sorry. RIP. Outside of his first and partially 2nd year in the NHL Drouin has never driven play. Maybe the Micah Charts say something different. Idk. His expected numbers at 5v5 aren't that great. He gives up as much or more than Montreal creates while on the ice. There is likely still powerplay value with him on the ice, but with the iffy special teams coaching that occurs in Montreal along with letting Weber do his thing I think it's unlikely it happens with the Canadiens. I would he's a somewhat offensive upside defensively weak middle 6 player. If you can afford to have an offensively minded 3rd line he could fit in there. As it is he has 2 more years at 5.5 million per after this one. That's going to be rough to continue to carry for a 40ish point player.

Kale
May 14, 2010

fancy stats posted:

Honestly, Drouin is having a tough go at generating offense (who on the team isn't?), but I have a hard time putting too much blame on him. He's working hard and generating chances, and its not like he's actually taking up a top-6 spot. He played the 3rd least minutes last night (admittedly, that probably has a lot to do with the fact that he's not on the penalty kill). He's not playing well, sure, but like nobody is.

For me it's how often he noticeably botches golden chances that bothers me the most. I guess the fact that he gets them at all shows that he's doing some work but I don't get why he can't convert basically ever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It usually looks to me like most of the chances he gets happen because of a combination of him floating around just behind the play and cherrypicking, and the other team just not being too worried about him.

It's not like this stuff is new, Tampa held out for a sucker and found one in Bergevin but they determined pretty quickly to get rid of him due to his charming combo of bitching about money/PT while not really giving a poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Well, they didn't finish last in division this season*, so clearly it was a success and they should bring Jeff back!

Who was it that was insistent that Gallant was probably going to wind up the coach because he had a connection with Yzerman?

*- the season is not over, but Columbus is trying their damnedest to out tank and outsuck Detroit.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

No worries. I like digging into these kinds of things and I find Drouin's rise/fall/story as a player interesting. So I kept poking around a little bit and the only determination I can really make is that sorry Montreal traded for a pretty meh player.

Yeah, that checks out.

Kale posted:

For me it's how often he noticeably botches golden chances that bothers me the most. I guess the fact that he gets them at all shows that he's doing some work but I don't get why he can't convert basically ever.

I won't argue that he can be a frustrating player, because he is. I just think he gets a disproportionate amount of blame for the team's performance. Especially when you have your captain out giving out such incredible lines like:

https://twitter.com/HabsInHighHeels/status/1384583025300738049

That's some good leadership.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

At one point this season, I was hoping Torts would be able to catch and pass Mike Keenan to get another spot on the all-time wins list but, right now, I seriously question if this team has two or three wins left in it.

Beginning to wonder if Jarmo had some sort of instruction from ownership to not hire a new coach in an effort to not add additional costs this season.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Torts also has to do some work to do to catch up to Mike Keenan on the all-time huge rear end in a top hat list, though not as much as you might think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Beginning to wonder if Jarmo had some sort of instruction from ownership to not hire a new coach in an effort to not add additional costs this season.

Pretty sure several coaches who in a normal season would have been fired months ago kept their jobs for this reason this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Not two full seasons, in 92 and 94 games were still played...78 altogether so he missed just a bit over 1 full season with those two labor disputes.

The 1992 strike lasted ten days. The season wasn't affected. The only shortened seasons were 94/95 which was 48 games, the 2012/13 season which was also 48 games and this one. Gretzky only missed 34 games due to labour issues but also played several 84 game seasons too.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jamwad Hilder posted:

100 more games played? He’d be 61 goals closer

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
How have I not seen this before? Stumbled on it on reddit and it's almost a decade old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0dfLkzLMoU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Stretch Marx posted:

How have I not seen this before? Stumbled on it on reddit and it's almost a decade old.

That has to be accidental, and yet he skates halfway down the ice before driving his forearm through the kid's brain. Even DOPS would have given him a game.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sullivan better be throwing things in the locker room because that was loving embarrassing from the Pens.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Stretch Marx posted:

The best comment there too.

quote:

Note: Sidney Crosby was not hurt during the play.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

fisting by many posted:

That has to be accidental, and yet he skates halfway down the ice before driving his forearm through the kid's brain. Even DOPS would have given him a game.

Hey I didn't mean to hit him in the head! He's only as high as my elbow! This is bullshit.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Sullivan better be throwing things in the locker room because that was loving embarrassing from the Pens.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/s...h-nhl-pens-game

SHAME

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It was awesome

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I took my skate off and tried to stab somebody. I was the first guy to ever do that.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

actually I think you'll find this loving rules

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Penguins Hockey at its best

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Penguins setting records
:cool:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They're pretty much in the same place they were late in the Bylsma Era, which is super fun for everyone involved and even Penguins fans should be able to enjoy the ride this time.

Here's hoping they get Washington in the playoffs, that could be a super fun series whereas the Islanders would probably just be a dull 6 games and the Bruins would just effortlessly crush them like they always do.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs are gonna lose to the Canucks again, I wonder wh-

https://twitter.com/tictactomar/status/1384705293213388801?s=21

Oh yeah. That’ll do it.

E: WAIT HE LET IN AN EVEN BETTER ONE

https://twitter.com/tictactomar/status/1384708844136411138?s=21

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003