Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
My college roommate has made nearly $400k off selling his digital art on the NFT markets. Of course, he has reinvested half of that in NFT's, so I expect that he will actually have made $200.001k. Regardless, man is making money.

Fan fact: he was a goon for a week but used the account to promote his YouTube videos and got laughed off. His new work is legitimately good, though. Not $400k good but good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Foxfire_ posted:

Is he making money, or is he getting etherium tokens with a nominally high paper value, but aren't readily convertible to USD?

Yeah, he has already converted 200k to cash. He's still figuring out what the taxes will be, though, so I imagine he will lose a good chunk of that.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

GlyphGryph posted:

Everyone knows the secret to being a successful (read: well compensated) artist is finding the right suckers, so congrats to your friend. Is he actually selling the art in any way (rights or anything) or is it just the standard "certificate of authenticity and a link to the artwork" thing?

I believe it's just NFT blockchain tag. Yeah, congrats to him, but I wish he weren't "reinvesting" and would just take the money and run. He's a believer and keeps going on about how much money the NFT's he bought will be worth later.

Also, his wife is an antivax amateur spokesperson, and I don't like the idea of her getting her fingers on money.