Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Are the maps endless or does the planet loop around? I’ve been running in one direction fir a good 10k tiles so far; long way back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

How do you get the researcher without admin commands? Is it just random chance? Also are liquids in yet?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yeah, there will be crash landings or colonists that spawn near you over time with a chance of one being a scientist. You also need an armorer to craft weapons.

We have it built in rn that if colonists run into convenient "accidents" they'll be replaced by further spawns so you can game that.

Failing that, the debug menu can force spawn a scientist for you.

Eventually we're going to figure out ways you can better get the right colonists you need.

Is there max amount of natural spawns currently or is it just X time until another one spawns?

Edit* I like the game so far!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

One of the biggest gripes I have is inability to build platforms on the tiles you are in. Either increase vertical jump height to 3 tiles or allow me to place a platform behind my head, this is slowing down helevator builds considerably.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

The vertical pathfinding of the AI is very dubious and limits basebuilding more than anything else. This gane needs a direct traverse way down and up; think terrarias rope system. Ofc later in tech tree it could be elevators. Or ladders. The AI gets stuck on platforms all the time
Also quitting and re-loading a game reboots the AI which fixes some of their Jank, But doing that Also resets the research tree.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

10c up on steam. Freezes on loading player If hardmode selected, new Ai configs look neat will check more on them tomorrow.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Infinite 2d map where you have a base to return to sounds... not-good idea,to be honest. Not looking forward to walking back 50 minutes to empty inventory and then treking forward another 50 to Keep finding new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Ben Quebec posted:

I'm not going to lie, I'm not a giant fan of it myself but as far as consensus is concerned I'm outnumbered on this one.

Part of the reason building helevators and underground highways in terraria is satisfying is that you know the destination is known distance away (and that you will be using them to go to the same area on a later date thanks to hardmode world transition) but building for example a road or a railway to an infinite planet with only 2 axis... yea.

I Honestly feel that Starbound had the right idea with circular worlds; and If you give each world 2 or 3 Z- levels you still have humongoys maps with the added benefit of accessing the different Z spaces from multiple locations allowing faster exploration with ”home” still remaining accessible distance away.

This ofc depending on travel modes and overall game area; if there is only one world where the whole content needs to fit versus multiple worlds and space travel.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 8, 2021