Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!
The portal and NIL stuff along with the grind of the job wore him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Felt like the guy was coaching years ahead of what everyone else was scheming the past few years. He'll definitely be missed, and I say that as someone who groaned inwardly all the time at even the thought of playing 'Nova.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Felt like the guy was coaching years ahead of what everyone else was scheming the past few years. He'll definitely be missed, and I say that as someone who groaned inwardly all the time at even the thought of playing 'Nova.

Same. I hope he retires for real though and not do something stupid like take a boatload of cash to coddle the Lakers' egos

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

kiimo posted:

Same. I hope he retires for real though and not do something stupid like take a boatload of cash to coddle the Lakers' egos
I would be stunned if he did. He just doesn't seem like the type. The only thing close I could see is maybe him taking some advisory role with the Sixers, but nothing further.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/__RHJR/status/1518355897021521921

lol

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Nur_Neerg posted:

Former 5* C Efton Reid and former 4* wing John Camden OVing to VT this weekend, along with high 4* high school recruit Tyrell Ward from DeMatha. Reid and Camden transferring from LSU and Memphis respectively. Huge recruiting weekend in Blacksburg, fingers crossed.

Update; VT landed Camden from Memphis, Tyrell Ward is going to Georgetown by all accounts, as one of his AAU coaches that got him to commit to Xavier previously as a recruiting coordinator has been hired on as a full-time assistant by Ewing, and Tyrell's expected to follow him again. VT seems to be the leader for Reid at the moment, hoping we can pick him up as Keve Aluma is headed to the draft and signing with an agent. Imagine he'll carve out a nice European career for himself, super proud of him.

Edit: Is it basketball season yet =(

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 26, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1519079584154546176

parting shot at Kansas on the way out I bet

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Antonio Reeves is transferring from Illinois State to Kentucky. Shoots 39% from 3, so much needed replacement after losing Grady and Mintz.

Also, Shaedon Sharpe declared and has been ruled eligible for the draft, and is likely to stay as a top 10 projected pick. Fans are not happy with the "none and done" player, made worse by his camp being adamant all year he was going to come back. There's a lot of ire towards Cal for it, but he's been told he was coming back all along too, and as a coach do you really pass on taking the top rated player in his class? Cal has plenty of flaws but I don't put this on him. Or Sharpe really, go get paid kid.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, posting this here because I'm fairly sure he meant more to Mizzou fans than he did to any NBA team, I had absolutely no clue he was so involved in the NBAPA.

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/1519438663549026304

quote:

Dooling, officials said, "allegedly engaged in the scheme and recruited other co-conspirators to join the scheme."

All were charged with health care fraud and wire conspiracy for a fraud that authorities say spanned from at least 2017 to 2020.

In October, a prosecutor said each defendant made false claims that ranged from $65,000 to $420,000.

The updated indictment Wednesday said Dooling pocketed about $350,000 of plan proceeds illegally. In all, it said about $5 million in false claims were submitted, though claimants did not receive as much in proceeds.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can tweet Keyon Dooling is a fraud freely now

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Paging Ross to the thread to tell me about this guy

https://twitter.com/FansOfKU/status/1519417845263872001

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wrong SDSU if that pic is him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

man named Baylor transferring colleges, Baylor not on the short list of recipients

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Grittybeard posted:

Wrong SDSU if that pic is him.

South Dakota is the San Diego of the upper midwest.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, posting this here because I'm fairly sure he meant more to Mizzou fans than he did to any NBA team, I had absolutely no clue he was so involved in the NBAPA.

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/1519438663549026304

sounds similar to this case:

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/12/787390966/former-nfl-players-hit-with-federal-charges-over-alleged-health-care-fraud

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech gets a commit from Oregon (formerly OU) guard Da'Vion Harmon, who is an OK guard, plus Fardaws Aimaq who is a very similar player to outgoing Bryson Williams.

With 3 players already added, that might be all for the TTU transfers this offseason if the team stays as is. But McCullar did declare for the transfer portal, so there are still a lot of moving parts.

I've also been hearing that there's a good chance that Shannon stays with TTU afterall?

Been a wild ride.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

kayakyakr posted:

Tech gets a commit from Oregon (formerly OU) guard Da'Vion Harmon, who is an OK guard, plus Fardaws Aimaq who is a very similar player to outgoing Bryson Williams.

With 3 players already added, that might be all for the TTU transfers this offseason if the team stays as is. But McCullar did declare for the transfer portal, so there are still a lot of moving parts.

I've also been hearing that there's a good chance that Shannon stays with TTU afterall?

Been a wild ride.

Shannon is going to Illinois.

Your coach blocked him from completing courses so he can graduate and go to Michigan.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Regnevelc posted:

Your coach blocked him from completing courses so he can graduate and go to Michigan.

Was trying to figure out what the hell that was all about - so reading between lines, Michigan has a NOTORIOUSLY stingy transfer admissions process. A lot of other schools' credits simply can't transfer to Michigan for ~~~reasons~~~. So Shannon probably wanted to transfer as a grad student (thus not losing credits) by taking those summer classes and getting the degree. TTU coach apparently was able to go LOL NOPE somehow.

I'm not sure admissions comparisons between Michigan and Illinois, but Shannon eventually ended up going to Illinois. Illinois did recruit him in the past, so it's not a huge shock one way or the other. Lot of between-line reading though.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

facialimpediment posted:

Was trying to figure out what the hell that was all about - so reading between lines, Michigan has a NOTORIOUSLY stingy transfer admissions process. A lot of other schools' credits simply can't transfer to Michigan for ~~~reasons~~~. So Shannon probably wanted to transfer as a grad student (thus not losing credits) by taking those summer classes and getting the degree. TTU coach apparently was able to go LOL NOPE somehow.

I'm not sure admissions comparisons between Michigan and Illinois, but Shannon eventually ended up going to Illinois. Illinois did recruit him in the past, so it's not a huge shock one way or the other. Lot of between-line reading though.

Dickinson and Jace Howard laid it out clearly.

Also.. gonna be wild for Michigan it’s looking like.

Collins and Williams (and maybe Bufkin) May be out with Emoni Bates and Luewellen (horribly misspelled) coming in.

Weird.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

guy transferred to Northwestern named Tydus Verhoeven.

Also presumable starting center and Classic Big Ten Lummox Ryan Young is transferring, Pete Nance is entering the draft but announced that if he plays college again next year it won't be at Northwestern. Program is absolutely cratering, anyone with even vague ability is getting the gently caress out of here.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Nevermind

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hooray
https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1520480272357146625
Real easy to see him functioning in the manner of a Walker Kessler with the dial turned more towards shot creation than rim domination as I understand it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Regnevelc posted:

Collins and Williams (and maybe Bufkin) May be out with Emoni Bates and Luewellen (horribly misspelled) coming in.

Transfer portal's deadline is apparently tomorrow and there goes Frankie Collins:

https://twitter.com/ByAZuniga/status/1520511412275195905

It's really surprising, since Frankie just simply can't shoot worth a drat and Michigan would seem to be the place for that kind of thing, based the Xavier Simpson past history. Guess the rumors about "Michigan losing a guard" were true after all!

Fun dude though, at some point he's going to Ja Morant dunk on some motherfucker.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For all you portal-watchers:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1520905568885563393

That means if you don't hear about transfers by the end of Tuesday, you're likely safe, as the quick-transfer is no longer an option.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Regnevelc posted:

facialimpediment posted:

Yup, saw this after posting.

Shannon's scholarship ended at the end of the semester. He asked Adams to stretch his scholarship into the summer so he could graduate via summer courses. Don't see any reason why Tech should pay for his summer school when 1) the athletic scholarships at TTU run June-May, and 2) he's no longer a TTU student-athlete at TTU as of the end of May.

Shannon was welcome to stay and pay out of pocket like any other student, but didn't want to spend any of his potential Michigan NIL money on that.

Anything else is just sour grapes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

kayakyakr posted:

Shannon's scholarship ended at the end of the semester. He asked Adams to stretch his scholarship into the summer so he could graduate via summer courses. Don't see any reason why Tech should pay for his summer school when 1) the athletic scholarships at TTU run June-May, and 2) he's no longer a TTU student-athlete at TTU as of the end of May.

Shannon was welcome to stay and pay out of pocket like any other student, but didn't want to spend any of his potential Michigan NIL money on that.

Huh, didn't think about scholarship duration/timing! That definitely does change a whole lot, especially since probably extending his scholarship into the summer could end up limiting TTU in anyone else that they wanted to sign.

Just goes to show that poo poo's always complicated and it's not just the TTU coach not doing the kid a solid or whatever.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

kayakyakr posted:

Yeah fair enough.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

VT picks up 6'9 transfer Grant Basile from Wright State, will likely slot in as our starting 5 for the year. Big need, good pickup, shoots well from outside and should help us space the floor even more.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Regnevelc posted:

Dickinson and Jace Howard laid it out clearly.

Also.. gonna be wild for Michigan it’s looking like.

Weird.

Turns out Bates was trying to speak Michigan's interest into existence and they wanted nothing to do with that circus.

He looks to be going to Louisville.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Let's loving go

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1522289842394120199

If Evansville can't be good, at least they can be hilarious

Also, Thomas, lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

well evansville just fired their entire coaching staff this morning so they're free
https://www.courierpress.com/story/...aff/9417014002/

quote:

Two weeks into his tenure as the University of Evansville's new athletics director, Kenneth “Ziggy” Siegfried has made his first major decision. He fired men's basketball head coach Todd Lickliter and the entire coaching staff on Thursday. Stadium's Jeff Goodman was the first to report the move. Lickliter, 66, went 15-53 in two-plus seasons since taking the helm in January 2020. He told the Courier & Press during an exclusive interview in April that he would keep coaching the Aces until "they tell me I can’t."

edit in case you're wondering how bad Licklitter is they went from upsetting #1 Kentucky right before he took over to this in like 2 years:

quote:

The Purple Aces completed a 6-24 campaign this spring with the fewest wins and most losses in their Division I program history. Six players have entered the transfer portal, which closed on Sunday so the timing is unfortunate for the four remaining scholarship players as well as the four signees.

UE went just 2-16 in MVC play and ranked last in almost every statistical category. It played the second-slowest offense in the country and averaged the fifth-fewest points among 358 D-I schools.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 5, 2022

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Peanut President posted:

well evansville just fired their entire coaching staff this morning so they're free
https://www.courierpress.com/story/...aff/9417014002/

edit in case you're wondering how bad Licklitter is they went from upsetting #1 Kentucky right before he took over to this in like 2 years:

McCarty imploded and took the program down with him. The cupboard is beyond bare and honestly I'm surprised the athletic department had the money to buy out Lickliter. As of now they have 4 remaining scholarship players and 4 incoming recruits.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I mean everyone transferred out when Linkletter came in and changed the entire team to boring rear end big ten tempo basketball. The Aces haven't made it to the NCAA's in over 20 years (1999) so its not like there was a lot to destroy, but it's whatever.

edit: Like you're not gonna keep a roster together when you're literally the second worst team in d1.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

the real problem Evansville is facing is the fact that Southern Indiana (their crosstown neighbor) is going D1, has 5 times the enrollment of UE, and is on the up and up program wise. They don't want to compete with UE for the heart of the city (yet) being content with their new on-campus arena instead of the downtown arena that the Aces play at, but it's only a matter of time. If they go on a run and get a lucky break into the Big Dance by winning the abysmal OVC they could quickly overshadow the Aces and take the city. So I wouldn't be surprised if they buy some big fancy name coach who sucks just for the celebrity appeal.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Butler is getting a real good one in Manny Bates, I don't think NC State would have been tournament material even without him getting injured early on but they wouldn't have been that completely abject.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This is gonna sound really weird, but the day of the championship, I was having a really poo poo day, had lost my credit card almost magically, had a dental appointment the next day I was dreading, just was super messed, and when things started going south in the game, like when Kansas first went down 7 and more, I just had to stop watching. I checked the halftime score, got even more screwed up, checked again later and Kansas was only down 7 and I had talked myself down enough to watch the rest of the game. But even watching the end, I just felt... nothing. Just was completely emotionally burnt out after the largest championship game comeback in NCAA history. Felt a lot of regret over that, but just couldn't process things until today, when I watched some footage of the final minutes, with the crowd cheering, McCormack doing his thing... and it finally broke through the burnout barrier and I finally felt joy over this year's team doing the drat thing. They really did it, didn't they? Likeable guys at that. Weird thing to share, but I dunno, basketball is cool sometimes. I hope the best for the UNC kids next year though, glad they're mostly returning, because those guys are cool too.

Anyway, back to the important programs, yeah, USI could be a basketball powerhouse especially since nearby Kentucky Wesleyan has been in a downturn and people who might've wanted to stay local might go to USI over them now, though there's probably not that much overlap, wouldn't know. Evansville should try for someone who's got some connection close by, to IU or WKU or something, getting some random person could end up like when Kansas hired Charlie Weis in football, which... yeah.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was also a little subdued but my reason was I was still hungover from the final four game lol

Also this

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdOI-5JgS3u/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Probably Magic posted:

They really did it, didn't they?

they really did. We stole one when a lot more talented teams in the past fumbled them away.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 6, 2022

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I regret to inform you that Mike Brey has a good take on something https://twitter.com/adavidhalejoint/status/1524071293917835265?s=21&t=nm2t-ENAlwILv0I93z1g1Q

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

VT gets a commitment from transfer 5 Mylyjael Poteat (Muh-LIE-juhl apparently). 6'9 260, should be the backup 5 this year with three years of eligibility remaining. Most mass we've had in a center in quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Julian Phillips picks Tennessee.