Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Favorite tours?

I'm partial to Summer 97 in Europe. Something special about hearing them start to perfect the phunk at all these tiny clubs, the vibe at those shows must have been absolutely incredible. One of my highlights is the 7/9/97 YEM that features the Flecktones, in particular Trey's solo with the jazzy clean tone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

They’re better now cause they play more songs and they’re not as long.

:mods:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

clean jazz trey at 5 mins, one of my favorite treys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-2EZXOoFt8

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C16C6QszLGI

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Trey rarely comes off well when he’s speaking. This video is no exception.

I think this is from 2005, and he's pretty obviously gacked out in this vid. I never thought he comes across poorly when he's not strung out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSQtTcmObc

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

this man comes across as a perfect god and would very likely be my best friend if i ever got to know him, actually, the more i think about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHhgG3vTqk

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Each member’s individual musical peak

Trey: 97. Machine gun + whale call
Mike: 93. But the peak has been sustained for 30 years
Fish: 99. Mastered all styles
Page: new peak every tour. Thank you Page

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Page is such a dork but when he’s on he’s what makes them special.

Agreed for 3.0

Anyone listen to any phish podcasts? Analyze Phish is pretty funny, though I wish it was more Harris (RIP) and less Scott. I’m listening to Long May They Run now, pretty enjoyable to hear some stories about the heyday, from the band themselves as well as various associates. Probably nothing that an obsessed fan doesn’t already know, but still a fun listen.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Or rather

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

My first phish show was in 09 and spent what felt like hours trying to find my friend in the lot by triangulating our locations based on the hiss of nitrous tanks. Lost in the lot

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

What do you guys think about Thread? When I saw it live I thought it was really cool but the album version is clunky.

Eh not a huge fan, little too proggy & plodding for my tastes. In general I'm not a huge fan of Trey's new chonky delay sound that features heavily in the jam outro here. That said I could see the song going in interesting places if they keep working on it

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Did I mention that I think Time Turns Elastic is one of their best songs? I like proggy and plodding.

It’s definitely a top 5 track........ on Joy :mmmhmm:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

algebra testes posted:

PHISH, TUESDAY 09/14/1999
BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY PAVILION
Boise, ID
SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, The Sloth, The Curtain > Waste, Loving Cup > What's the Use?, Wading in the Velvet Sea > Farmhouse, Nellie Kane, Taste, Rocky Top

SET 2: Peaches en Regalia > AC/DC Bag[1] > Gumbo, Down with Disease > Frankenstein[2]

ENCORE: Simple, Hello My Baby

[1] Trey on keys and Fish on vacuum for part of the jam.
[2] Fish on vacuum

Peaches was played for the first time since February 28, 1997 (162 shows). This long AC/DC Bag featured Trey on keys and Fish on vacuum for part of the jam. Gumbo included an Another One Bites the Dust jam. Fish again grabbed the vacuum for Frankenstein and quoted One of These Days (Pink Floyd). This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.
PHISH, SUNDAY 09/12/1999

Just listened to this, solid recommendation. 25 minute Bag. The Sloth, Curtain, Loving Cup, Taste and Rocky Top big props. The only bummer is i've never been a Velvet Sea fan.

I actually just listened to this show a few days ago too. The whole second set is absolute fire, definitely a must-listen

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Listening to 8/9/98 encore on full blast on headphones ftw

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Karl PerrazZo

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Question for the thread that I couldn’t answer with a quick google

What show did Trey first do a whale call?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

Phish.net says mid-1995 for the first funk siren https://forum.phish.net/forum/show/1376637697

Sweet, thanks

Good call out in that thread — proto-siren in the YEM off ALO right before the bass n drums section! That’s late 94 IIRC

Something that still doesn’t get old for me — when the band comes to a clearing in a big jam in 97-00 era and the whale call rises up in the mix and you feel like you’ve been out wandering in the woods, getting hopelessly lost which is enjoyable but in the back of your head you know it could spell trouble, but then you coincidentally just stumble right back to your home. Love that poo poo

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Any goons have any luck with tickets?

Not luck, but I’d basically entirely forgotten that I had tickets to a couple shows in 2020 so getting the update about the tickets being valid for this tour was awesome.

quote:

This show fucks. Second set is incredible. That slow tease of Mike's before slowly speeding up to full tempo gets me every time.

Bookmarking this to listen to this weekend. That 2nd set list looks hot. Will report back

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Omnikin posted:

I denied Phish for as long as I could. Friends and co-workers would chat them up as Phish fans tend to do, I'm sure (heck one of them plays League as Weekapaug Groove). My dad who's a major goober who has never been to a Phish show (and hasn't been to a jam show in twenty odd years) loves to talk about "THE GREAT GLOWSTICK WAR" at SPAC, our local big venue, that happens "at every Phish show, thousands NO MILLIONS of glowsticks flying through the air, it's crazy my friend told me about it!!". I made an earnest effort to expand my musical tastes in the last few years and knew it was only a matter of time before I worked my way through enough genres to arrive here

Per thread rec I listened to A Live One, appreciated it, tucked it away. I think about two weeks went by. Had major Friday vibes before a big work event so threw on a random live set from Spotify. Last week the same. Today, the same. Back on 12/31/91, pretty late in the show now and just bangin' my head a little bit to Mike's Song

can't believe I've missed dozens of area shows of this while complaining about how my area never gets good shows, gently caress

Hell yeah, what are your fav songs/shows so far???

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Went to a small town park today and saw two guys wearing phish gear. Wish I’d been wearing one of my shirts too :(

algebra testes posted:

This show fucks. Second set is incredible. That slow tease of Mike's before slowly speeding up to full tempo gets me every time.

Listened, so good. Very solid first set too, and agree with the Vultures love. And yeah the DWD -> Mikes was incredible.

One of my favorite and IMO underrated phish moments is the start of Simple jams from the 94-97 era in particular. Even just the first couple minutes while they’re basically sticking to the song, the groove has such a nice airy bounce. One of my favs:

https://youtu.be/-7t7t7yiUe0

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The jam scene at large doesn't really do anything for me. Had fun at Moe, Umphrey's, Strangefolk, and STS9 shows when I was a kid, but the music was kind of secondary to the fun.

I don't really see much in common musically btw Phish and most other bands in the jam scene. I guess maybe more like Flecktones & MMW, but the reason I enjoy Phish has very little to do with anything I'm going to get out of WSP or Umph.

This is why I enjoy Phish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MGWHZC0xHU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Yeah but the rest of it is pretty lame

Fly away troll

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Phish’s good music is their proggier songs, and there are a lot of them and they keep writing them, and they write pretty nice ballads. They write good little songs, like Halfway to the Moon.

Every once in a while a jam goes somewhere interesting, but it’s rare and that’s not just a 3.0 phenomenon. They are very talented at ensemble improvisation, they just rarely do anything that interesting with it. Sometimes they do! But not often. But I will be psyched to see a Strange Design or
lifeboy or Time Turns Elastic or Mercury at the next show I go to. Even Petrichor, though I don’t think that’s a great song. I’d rather see that than a paint by numbers 10 minute antelope.

Bookmarking this post, you better watch your back in QCS motherfucker

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Well excuse me for liking Phish the right way. Going to write Billy Breathes in my diary 100 times so they play it the next time I go. See you when I’m done.

Man I’m all in on some Billy and Lifeboy. But then you bring TTE and Petrichor into the conversation? NO - I won’t be trolled!

The Billy from Amsterdam 97 is soooo good

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I guess if you like the long proggy/classical songs, you like the ballads, you like the little songs, then what's left not to like? I feel like that covers 90% of Phish songs. Please answer carefully, ideally without any reference to 3.0 songs :smugbird:

Here's my favorite little song of theirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFklxPjuv4

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I like Phish a lot, so yeah. It doesn’t cover the straight ahead rockers, the chalk dust/tweezer/frees, which I also like. But I’d take a tight free over a sloppy jammed out tweezer most of the time. There are exceptions. Also missing are cover songs which are a mixed bag but generally fun.

I think most of the time the jams are boring if you don’t have lights to watch. With lights they’re better. I also don’t think they do country/bluegrass songs very well. Stuff like Rocky Top always sound like novelty songs to me. Same with reggae-ish songs, probably even worse. NICU has a little reggae beat and that’s a good song, but it’s subtle and sounds more like a Phish song with a reggae beat than Phish trying to play reggae. I ALSO don’t think they’ve ever been particularly funky (although I just listened to a Sneakin Sally that was good, and kind of funky). Moma dance is a head to the bathroom song for me.

In short, Phish is a band of contrasts.

Interesting. I agree with some of this but not all of it. I definitely am not a believer in long jam = better by default, and agree that a tight Free can be better than a long sloppy Tweez.

I like their country/bluegrass songs, I can see the novelty aspect, but Phish has a lot of goofy novelties that I enjoy. Rocky Top is kinda like Sleeping Monkey -- find that in an encore and you know it was probably a good show, love the energy Fish brings, always feels like that song is about to break apart at the seams. Fuckin love Trey's solo in Uncle Pen btw

Phish not funky? Buhhh? Would you say that they're groovy? Not in like the AUstin powers sense but to me they're funky in that the whole band gets into the pocket in a way that's pretty unique. IMO they don't have a ton of funk songs, but they do have a ton of funky songs

Anyway hopefully it's clear that I'm just shooting the poo poo and not actually heated up about any of this

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

They’re about as funky as 4 dudes from Vermont can be I guess

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Great show: Gin opener is the standout, perhaps my favorite Gin ever. Buried Alive also gets jammed out which is a treat. Love that summer 98 sound

quote:

WEDNESDAY 07/29/1998
RIVERPORT AMPHITHEATER
Maryland Heights, MO
SET 1: Bathtub Gin, Dog Log, Foam, Fikus, Farmhouse > Vultures[1], Glide, Birds of a Feather

SET 2: Buried Alive -> If You Need a Fool[2], AC/DC Bag > The Lizards, Tube > Kung > Run Like an Antelope[3]

ENCORE: Waste > Golgi Apparatus > Bittersweet Motel

[1] Debut of new arrangement.
[2] Phish debut.
[3] Fish on vacuum for portion of intro.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Thats loving rock n roll right there. None of that pansy rear end dick tugging smile for the camera bullshit. Musicians puke, musicians poop on the stage, wooks deliver their new born baby on the rail. loving hard core dick in the rear end butterball jam band gently caress it chuck it party time poo poo. Phish is back baby.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

She’s a big TTE fan I hear

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I heard she bugged out to limb by limb. She likes the part about the Chinese wall

Lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

gently caress BURIED ALIVE OPENER

Absolutely the best opener

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ada shatan posted:

I'll never understand the hate

100% agree

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Everything’s right is a bad song.

It’s not great but it’s a fun dumb sing along

Kvlt! posted:

Limb by Limb sucks

What the gently caress

Ungratek posted:

Phish has plenty of dumb and bad songs it’s nuts to pretend otherwise

Post your list punk

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Starting a months long clandestine campaign to become a NMD mod so I can go back and chain probe you for that list :blastu:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Ah, the rare Jennifer Dances fan in the wild

Im Jennifer you ashsole

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

My list, only including 1.0 because after that there are more bad songs than good ones:

- Lawn Boy
- Glide
- Wilson

Everything else is good to great

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Poring over Phish's catalog trying to find songs I don't like, smiling a little bit more with each title I read thinking "nope, that one's good too", remembering some epic jams along the way, coming back to this thread excited to "share in the groove" :D

BigFactory posted:

I like about 25%-30% of Kasvot Vaxt. Maybe a little more if I’m in a good mood. There’s a reason they shelved half of those songs.

I don't go back to listen to the KV stuff much, but couch-touring that show was so fun. And the clip of them workshopping the "over here, over there" part of Stray Dog from Between Me & My Mind makes me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Hey man, I didn’t say it sucks (unlike you vis a vis limb by limb, sicko :redass:). Just kind of bland imo

I really don’t think there are many truly bad songs from 1.0. Plenty of goofy and dumb songs but that’s part of the appeal. But I did forget about Fikus and Shafty from SotG which I skip basically every time and are truly bad