Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

But did she need any of us at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I want to hear Tucker's story.

Plus he has a background in collegiate wrestling and did quite well for himself there, so I can see this becoming another Tay Conti situation where "he doesn't show much" with the WWE, and improves considerably elsewhere.

Also, KC Cassidy is married to Shawn Spears, so yeah, the IIconics are probably headed to AEW soon enough.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Bo Dallas can go suck in Cyber Fight as long as he stays out of Dragon Gate my new favorite promotion as of May 1st. Do not ruin Dragon Gate Bo Dallas.

Open that gate of dreams, Bo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I just wonder "who the gently caress OK'd that spot?" Jesus gently caress.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah but even then, the primary focus is still on Kross, even if he is bland as gently caress.

Hell, both Kross and Raquel are massively underwhelming choices as champion right now. Putting aside both of their lovely politics, neither one has set the world on fire since they won the title. Kross has always been disliked by NXT audiences, and Raquel has pretty much lost all of her momentum from beating Io because they can't decide on her alignment. She's about to feud with Mercedes Martinez, but it's not a highly anticipated matchup either, and expectations are incredibly low.

Hell, they could have thrown another woman onto the NXT banner at the very least (one that actually wrestles), considering the NXT women's division is incredibly strong. Way more than the men.

Putting Raquel Gonzalez into a programme with Martinez is a pretty good idea - Martinez is a veteran, and a solid hand, and she can probably get something decent out of Gonzalez. But that poo poo should have happened before they put the title on her.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1386840595134656512

I say this a lot but it really can't be overstated how painfully uncool this company is

I mean, at least they followed the 180-degree rule in this clip, so there's that, I suppose.

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/SkullsMedia/status/1386876323772067841?s=20
It's not even that. He calls practically nothing by name, just 'big move' or 'what a move'. Him screaming in excitement he sounds like a grade schooler.

You know what? I'm loving fuming about this. WHAT IN THE gently caress DOES JAWS HAVE TO DO WITH A MOTHERFUCKING TRAIN!? Using that line in that context makes about as much sense as just straight up shouting "CLEAR THE TRACKS! MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!" It seems appropriate, but it falls apart after even just a few seconds of thought applied to it.

I'd originally typed "CLEAR THE TRACKS! I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!" but that actually kind of works, so...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Enjoy some reddit clips of RAW!

https://streamable.com/psft8a

Alexa Bliss needs someone to sternly, and disappointedly tell her she looks like a badger. Does she really think she can meet the Russian delegation looking like that?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

davidbix posted:

OH! I remember this now. Context was very obviously "What the gently caress?" at the time.

It's a book about poo poo invented in Nazi Germany. The title basically translates to "The Nazis' inventions."

Probably not the best cover they could have gone with, mind.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I actually kind of like this.

Was this showcased on the WWE twitter account?

Also, lol, 2 former world champions.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Good to see WWE have not neutered Sareee yet

Give them about a month.

Have they done any of the usual "lol foleigner with accent, sushi sushi sake sake" bullshit they usually do with Japanese talent already?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

That only happens when you hit the main roster, NXT's never gone there

I’m giving the WWE the exact amount of benefit of the doubt they deserve. Your response is missing one key word: “yet.”

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Eva vs Charlotte in a "Loser must dye her hair the color of the winner's" match

Pay me Vince you son of a bitch

Asuka ends up leading a growing faction of women who were forced to dye their hair to match hers, only to find that they actually quite like how it looks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Big Poppa posted:

But maybe we can get a FIIST?

FIIST or YOUR FIRED

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Just look at the success stories they have, like Shinsuke Nakamura, Finn Balor, Aleister Black, Asuka, Kairi Sane, Apollo Crews, Bobby Roode, Ember Moon, Ivar & Erik, Keith Lee, Kevin Owens, Killian Dain, Oney Lorcan, Nikki Cross, Ricochet, Sami Zayn and Ruby Riott - all of whom were trained and only trained at the WWE Performance Center, and absolutely nowhere else ever.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pylons posted:

This kinda reminds me of those dipshits at the beginning of the pandemic that kept saying things like "it's your own fault if you don't learn a new skill during this pandemic now that we have plenty of free time".

Yeah, I learned how to work remotely.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

the one i see brought up is Bianca Belair which I want to agree with but I also don't watch WWE but i liked her at mania!

I haven't watched WWE since Mania 36 but as I recall, Bianca Belair is good. Honestly, I'd say it's in spite of the WWEPC.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pylons posted:

It endlessly amuses me that Regal chose to send his son to the NJPW dojo rather than the PC.

Pretty sure that was Dave Finlay, not Regal. And he was right to.

Looking at the improvement and success of other developmental wash-outs like Juice Robinson or Tay Conti, I wonder how Fred Rosser'll go in NJPW.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I would be embarrassed as hell if anyone walked in on me watching this show.

Which would be worse? Being caught watching Raw, or being caught having a wank?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Harold Meij is the reason that Kenny left NJPW, he's on record as saying that he would never do anything with New Japan as long as Harold was there.

What's the issue with Harold Meij?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Kross is boring. I was hoping he was one of the rumored call ups but guess not

He’s a generic henchman who should be standing behind the champion or a manager acting as a mouthpiece for a stable, nodding along while flexing his arm muscles.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Imagine a bunny. Picture it.

Now imagine that bunny is bad.

Is he badder or gooder than the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Michael Cole will say Wet rear end Pussy so many times that the words will lose all meaning.

She calls this the W.A.P., King: the Wet rear end Pussy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

We're gonna need a bucket and a mop to wipe these superstars off the matt, Michael Cole.

This Fiend is a certified freak, seven days a week, Michael Cole!

Roman Reigns is going to beat it up, catch a charge, extra large and extra hard, Michael Cole!

Braun Strowman is running like a big mack truck, and is going to park right in his little garage, Michael Cole!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

coconono posted:

ok so now Nikki has wins over both Rhea and Charlotte. So does she get a title shot, is this how this works?

Remember when she was feuding with Shayna Baszler in NXT, and Shayna once threatened to gently caress her up, and Nikki was like "Do it," and Shayna backed down because it's Nikki loving Cross, and how awesome that was?

gently caress this loving company, and Nikki Cross and Killian Dain deserve better than this poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You know, of all the people that would eventually take Undertaker's place as the resident Spookums Wrestler on the roster, I don't think any of us thought it would be Alexa Bliss.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

JBL went from being in a well-protected and over tag team to world champ over like 4 months. Jinder went from being a literal jobber to world champ in like 3 weeks.

JBL was also pushed to the top of the card at a point where there was a dearth of viable main event talent at the time. Angle seemed to spend a fair chunk of time on the sidelines because his neck was hosed half the time, Brock had hosed off to the NFL, Orton and Batista were still underdone during HHH's reign of terror on RAW. At least JBL could talk, had a great finisher, and some degree of credibility as someone who could hang with the main eventers from his APA days, even if previous attempts at turning him into a singles guy hadn't panned out.

All Jinder brought to the card was a tepid mixture of foreign heel poo poo and bargain-bin JBL. There were plenty of guys around Jinder that could have served as a foil to Orton (or Bray, if they hadn't cut the legs out from underneath him for the umpteenth time), who's careers were stalled for quite some time to try to get Jinder over as a champion, when there's no loving way they wouldn't have known it was a doomed venture to begin with.

Lamuella posted:

I had fallen away from watching WWE already by this point but the moment I entirely accepted that WWE was in actual free fall rather than just slowly getting worse was October 6 2019 at Hell In A Cell.

This was about four days after AEW had done their first ever episode of Dynamite. It was a show that was generally well received, had a strong story hook in its ending and crowned a new women's champion. There was competition in wrestling again.

And WWE'S big pay per view main event, in their ultimate "no rules, just bloodshed" match, Seth Rollins lost by disqualification. For using a hammer. After The Fiend had hit him with a hammer in full sight of the ref.

It was clear then, if it hadn't been clear before, that WWE had no ideas and didn't care.

HIAC 2019 is a fascinating PPV, because if you just took the first hour or so has the makings of one of the best B-shows the WWE had put on in quite some time. Like, the first 3 matches on the main card (Banks v. Lynch, D-Bry and Reigns v. Rowan and Harper, Orton v. Ali) are actually worth going out of your way to see. And then the wheels go flying off in all sorts of directions, closing off with a 3-match sequence where each match just seems to get worse with each one.

First, you get the debut of "Shorty G," where he's given the sysyphean task of getting something good out of Baron Corbin in a match that goes almost double the length it should - the way the storyline went, it should have been Gable beating the piss out of Corbin, immobilising him and making him tap out, and then getting the announcer to declare, I dunno, "Bitchass Loser Corbin is the loser of the match via tapout" or something like that. How in the hell is "Shorty G" supposed to get anyone over? Obviously, it's not.

Then you get the typical Charlotte wins lol match against Bayley because if they have her beat someone that the crowd actually likes clean just one more time, maybe finally audiences will stop resenting her being rammed down everyone's throats as the greatest great that ever greatly greated or something. gently caress off.

And then it finishes off with the HIAC match. By the time we got to that match, the show was on a hiding to nothing, short of delivering something that could compare favourably against the Taker-Brock HIACs at least.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 12, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Minidust posted:

What often gets lost in the shuffle here is that the previous year's HIAC had also ended in a no-contest!

And this was all after a bunch of schmozzy bullshit with Moxley, Rollins and Ziggler apparently. It's quite amazing what they book, on purpose.

At least it makes more sense than "oh no please don't do a thing that happened earlier in the match."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

No. No! This will not stand! As someone who was there, JBL's push came out of nowhere, was baffling at the time and it loving sucked! It sucked. He sucked. Dearth of talent when you had the Smackdown Six there. Gimme a break!

Benoit was on RAW, Angle was on and off the shelf with a hosed neck if I remember correctly, Chavo was Chavo, Edge wasn't really connecting as a face (and was on RAW) and there was no way Mysterio was going to be a heel world champion.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

I think you will find that JBL is not "trash," JBL is in fact

"JBL, I spoopy."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I don't know how you would advertise a free HIAC match on TV, do a gently caress finish, and expect THAT to motivate people to pay money to watch the exact same match on PPV where nothing would be different.

I feel like this conversation could have happened just before SummerSlam in 1998.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

is being out for 15 months the regular for a shoulder injury?

Depends. Richard Kahui, who played rugby union at the international level for New Zealand effectively sat out half of 2009 and almost all of 2010 due to a shoulder injury, while Paul Williams, who played for Samoa, broke a leg in 2003, and didn’t return to the field until 2006.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Should've covered Sex Dwarf by Soft Cell instead. That song rules.

Goes on for too long.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Brock and Roman recreate the plot of Kramer vs Kramer, but with Paul as the kid.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

shiksa posted:

this is why i appreciate guys like chuck taylor who just posts about his dog and the philadelphia 76ers

I initially misread "philadelphia" as "paedophilia" and it gave me a fright.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Drakkel posted:

One of the saddest things about WWE booking these days is the wrestlers having to go on twitter to desperately try to make it work because they aren't allowed to on television.

Or the unused people doing their promo work on social media. Like, what, you couldn't spare a couple of minutes in the 12000 hours of content you already have on TV to let someone cut a promo? Is Mumbly Joe against Dickface Splashwater for the 118th consecutive loving week in a 50/50 Booking 2-minute Match which can only end in a roll-up from a distraction that important?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wait, there's a PPV?

Dacap posted:

Joaquin Wilde? He’s a goon for Santos Escobar in NXT now

Does he still at least get to wear this ridiculous outfit?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Just so that we’re clear: Blandy McChudbland, who had been getting pushed as an unbeatable beastmonster bastard and had been undefeated on NXT got beat on his first match on Raw by a guy who’d been getting his head kicked in by loving Jinder Mahal on his first night proper on the main roster?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

Allowing women to wrestle for WWE in their country lets Saudi Arabia tell the world they're progressive while they continue to deny women of their own country basic human rights

Reminder that as a company, the WWE pressured one of their talent to stay silent after she was drugged and raped on tour at an American military base.

The perfect company to use to try to gaslight the world into thinking you're not a bunch of misogynist shitfucks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Drakkel posted:

They literally had no idea that Aleister Black was cleared to compete for several months. I don't think there's any exaggeration when people say this company is as much of a clusterfuck shitshow backstage as it is on screen

Can't wait to read about a former WWE performer talking about receiving an empty FedEx box sent from Hartford one day.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hefty Leftist posted:

that's the quality i think makes it bigger in some ways. Adam Cole is one of NXT's biggest stars, assets and longest reigining champion throughout the period where NXT was directly competing with AEW. it's a really huge sign that WWE is just completely failing to the wider public

Nah, I'd say it's more along the lines of Sean Waltman or Chris Jericho leaving WCW for WWF during the Attitude Era. Neither were Hogan or Savage level big name departures, but ended up being pivotal defections more for what they represented.

Christ, it's like TERFs and their one joke.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Everyone who likes or dislikes the Adam Cole jokes needs to post how tall they are for a project I’m working on

Jokes? Didn't realise there was more than one.