Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Rad Russian posted:

World Cup bans are a threat of a Mexican standoff that won't last. Why would a country refuse to have their best players there while dealing with a significant fan backlash? People will literally get politicians supporting this out of power and then get the person in that lets their country actually compete. Even if that policy somehow goes through, all of these countries will change it immediately after their first embarrassing WC performance, and then everyone will play just the same as before.

the point is to pressure players to not support it/not play in it, as most grow up dreaming of playing in the world cup and champions league, beyond just their domestic leagues.

ffs haaland sings the CL theme in his car, when you are already making good/fantastic money (depending on if you're talking just about superstars or really good players who you also need on the team) that isn't the motivation anymore, it's more personal for most people which is why not many players have hosed off to china/middle east.MLS before retirement age

Pook Good Mook posted:

On the other hand, there are probably going to be a large number of players who would be thrilled to be paid the same amount (or more!) to play fewer games. Does anyone really think that most players have loyalty to anything other than money? Some might leave very publicly but it's pretty telling we haven't had any player reactions in the press yet. They're all greedy pieces of poo poo and are the direct causes of why so many leagues are losing money.

never ceases to amaze me how many idiots will bitch about millionaires who have a limited career length instead of the billionaires who siphon money from others' talent and work, gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

greazeball posted:

will the ESL have VAR?

or will it be SUPER VAR???

it'll be american idol/etc. style text in voting while commercials play, with texting fees applied

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

greazeball posted:

this is why they will have 5 whipping boy teams promoted "on merit" each year so none of the world's "legacy fans" will have to suffer the disgrace of a bottom finish

implying those 5 won't still beat arsenal/spurs

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

like do you guys really think leicester or everton would say no to a spot in an expanded super league?

are we assuming jp morgan will cough up as much as they did now in that future when it very well might not be going as well as they predicted?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

yeah i'm assuming the super league does very well

i think that's part of my cynicism

i think idiots with too much money right now will not make good decisions for long term success

on another note, from someone's point itc, has anything been mentioned yet about how they're going to cater to both north american and asian audiences w/r/t match times?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

cadfael posted:

I dont see how this would financially save leagues/clubs, is he having a laff? https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano this guy kindly did some transcipts of that interview

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384276887761940489?s=20

lmao football would DIE if jp morgan didn't give a few clubs a bunch of money

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Scotlander posted:

Not that this year has been terribly exciting, but imagine the Premier League if this shite was already in place for this year. City have had the league sewn up for ages, leaving themselves, United, Pool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal with nothing to play for for the past couple of months (not that Arsenal's had anything to play for since then anyway). Leicester and West Ham have 2 of the CL spots cemented with the only thing left to figure out is which 2 of Everton, Leeds and Villa fill in the other 2 spots. People would have stopped caring completely long ago.

that sounds interesting as an american who isn't really tied to one team

i know i'm weird in general, but i'd personally take a PL, or any league, that has less talent than it might be able to if it means there's a possibility that most of the clubs in the league could win the title

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384271559548801026?s=20

we are NOT closed, there is a tiny crack you may enter through if we allow it, but only for a bit then you're back out

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Vando posted:

This already exists and it's called the Championship

yeah and how the gently caress am i supposed to watch that?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Vando posted:

I suspect you'll find a similar issue with any post-SL Premier League

okay? but the person asked if anyone would want to watch the PL without them, i said i would in fact like to

how does my access to it affect what i would prefer??

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Vando posted:

yeah, everyone thinks this angle means greedy players but it's actually greedy owners aiming for unsustainable glory, fuelled by the teams at the top who can pump the most money in

come to think of it the end result of this being the nuking of the Big 12 and the realisation amongst owners that you actually can't grow revenues indefinitely is something that might help the game immensely, but then again the world is cursed so that's never going to happen

bawfuls posted:

the original post that got "cspam people" replies literally said greedy players

even without those literal words, it's about the framing of the issue

if you say "players salaries are to blame" the only subject in that is the player, so the fault is linked to them

you could easily frame it more correctly as FLJ's longer part of the post didn't make a single mention i caught of player agency, purely about the club owners/fans deciding to spend too much money

i mean that and recently you have oil money club specifically driving up player prices/salaries so lol

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

uXs posted:

That is most certainly the goal. Why would they keep playing their weekend games against Stoke when they could, well, not play their weekend games against Stoke? They don't want to play against smaller clubs, they only want the big games for the most money.

The sooner they can ditch the domestic leagues the better. Because that also means their SL games can now take place on the weekends, which is worth even more money.

And the threat of not allowing their players to compete in international tournaments is not a threat at all, because why would they want their players to go off to play qualifiers and tournaments that doesn't earn them any money? And risks them getting injured to boot? So they couldn't be happier if their players can't play for their country.

once again, removing all player agency from the equation which is silly

the club may not want the players to play for their country, but considering players do that as a choice, they clearly want to

the question is after this what can non SL clubs offer the top top talent and is that enough for them to live a good life and also fulfill their dreams?

the notion that it's all money for the players is weird since if that were true you'd have loads more top level players going to china/middle east/MLS clubs (the latter a bit less so) for the paycheck before their retirement age

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

tbh i'm curious to see the possible effect of having only SL games for a club would be

do they pretend to care and try to play their best XI at all times and run them into the ground? do they rotate just against spurs and arsenal like they would for burnley or whoever and not really care if they lose cause can't get relegated and you get plenty of money just from being in the league than from position at the end?

yes there will be less games, but also more intense games if every week is against CL caliber clubs

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Why would the game between Spurs at 14th and Inter at 8th on the table be more intense if there's no relegation or competition to qualify for at the top of the table? Hoping to get into the playoffs?

i mean i am aware of the no stakes, which is why i specifically worded it into the post thanks for reading?

i can spell it out more for you, if they play at the same intensity that they do in the CL or against title rivals every week, that will be harder on the players than playing bottom half clubs most weeks

i said if, which means i am not saying they will, or will have to, but if they do

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

uXs posted:

Sure, most want to play for their country. But do they really care enough? Or do they care more about earning a shitload of money? You'll notice there have been (close to?) zero player reactions so far.

Really top players close to retirement have mostly earned enough money that a china paycheck isn't really worth it anymore. A lot of them have families as well that they may not want to uproot. Or they want to stay here and become managers or pundits.

i'd be careful to rail against my current employer too based on news that just happened a day ago tbh

and my point was players who arent close to retirement, like what oscar did for example, you don't see that happening very often

fair point on the families thing to a degree, but i still keep noting the lack of any player consideration here as if they are all money grubbing people who want the absolute maximum amount of money at the expense of nearly everything else

i def will want to see what the TV/streaming revenue actually will be since there is a huge time difference in their two "future fans" markets

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

sassassin posted:

10 years ago the PL TV deal was half what it is now and the domestic game was fine. Costs have risen out of control in England simply because there's that £100m/year pot of gold sitting at the end of the rainbow. Players are getting 5 figures a week in the Championship and League One and it's not because the PL is so generous in trickling down its wealth, or the quality of player is much better. Everyone's either going for it or simply trying to keep up with the Joneses and avoid relegation.

Kick out the 6 if they think they'll be better off, let a few clubs with unsustainable debts go to the wall. The EFL TV deal is tiny already so it barely effects the most at-risk. Sky made a load of unfashionable shite popular in the 90s, they can do it again.

yeah i think it's a bit overdramatic/silly to say the pyramid will collapse because of 6 clubs leaving, yeah things will need to be adjusted/restructured but not like all the other fans will stop caring

Gigi Galli posted:

But seriously other than the guy who was unaware of the existence of Portuguese this thread has been good. Thank you everyone.

you're right, that part was not good

it was great

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

My Portuguese reading ability is limited but lol still

it's just spanish with a hard j

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

I'd just like to thank everyone for being a part of this frankly fantastic experience.

RIP European Super League

2021-2021

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

I'd just like to thank everyone for being a part of this frankly fantastic experience.

rename the forum to the ESL

Everyone Sucks League

:twisted:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

biglads posted:

Lmao Woodward has resigned

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

bawfuls posted:

these plans won't stop being devised and anyone who thinks just dumping the American owners will put an end to it is delusional

has anyone said that?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

the best genre of poster, saying "anyone who thinks [insert thing no one thinks and most people think the opposite] is an idiot!!" to no one in particular

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

Woodward resigning is so funny

Board room was like oh, just pin it on the guy who comes up with all the terrible ways to get lots of money

i wonder if the glazers are going to get any stick from this, like serious stuff, since they put their name on the line too

i'm not hopeful, but it'd be an immense lol

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

gonna get this uploaded lol, gimme a day and I'll hand em out to the super posters

pls sir

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

me stakeholders

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

what court decision?

Bape Culture posted:

I still have no idea how they can say with a straight face that a cartel in a padlocked league will support lower tiers somehow.

because they said they're gonna throw some money at the leagues they leave, but ofc lmao at the idea that'll make up for what is lost and will exist forever

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

The crowd of supporters outside Stamford Bridge cheering like everything was magically alright again once the Chelsea announcement came through is good proof of that.

"you cannot be momentarily happy when a good thing happens if there are other bad things happening"

what a way to view the world

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

Some court in Madrid said that fifa couldn’t bar players from the World Cup.

maybe it's trump poison, but all of these sorts of things i ask "okay, and what if they just ignored it?"

i mean that seriously, is FIFA not in the "too big/important to fail/be killed" category? what court would rule hard enough if they took a stance that was publicly popular but legally questionable?

Crazy Ted posted:

Did anything good happen though? At the end of the day all Abramovich and Buck did was timidly climb down from a position that first made Chelsea like supervillianous scum and then like an international laughingstock within the space of two days.

the european super league dying is good, i'm not afraid to say it

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

The super league wasn't replacing domestic games

nah you're right, they were totally going to do midweek matches that give them waaayyy more money than the domestic ones or even the previous CL ones to show to both north american and asian fans at the same time

just me turning on my SL streaming service to watch SL matches at 4PM while i'm working with my buddy in the phillipines waking up at 4AM to watch the same match

all while they are incentivized to not play their strongest side for domestic matches throughout the entirety of the season

why would they want these matches with more money during the weekend instead of united playing fulham at a good time for the "legacy fans" they don't care about? that's just greedy

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Javier Tebas, the head of La Liga, has been having his say.

https://twitter.com/dermotmcorrigan/status/1385222571147333636

tangentially related and not trying to american capitalism it up much, but i think i know where the money is really coming from

https://twitter.com/alex_sammon/status/1385244101042442241

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Rangers and Celtic would be relegated the first year they were in the PL/whatever super league

should def let them in then to watch their hopes immediately get demolished

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

https://archive.ph/LKvCQ

quote:

In a corporate statement rare for its contrition and self-criticism, JPMorgan admitted it had been a mistake to finance the proposal without considering its effects on others.
“We clearly misjudged how this deal would be viewed by the wider football community and how it might impact them in the future,” a company spokesman said. “We will learn from this.”

lol why even bother tbh

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

Burning American flags in your streets??? You had better thank your lucky stars you're white or we would bring you some fresh new democracy for this outrage!!!!

nobody tell biden how much oil is in the fish and chips

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

would love to see them actually try to press that in court, i mean you're basically a handful of people vs the entirety of the public opinion of this regardless of the legality so gl with that

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Public opinion doesn't really matter here

it does though, judiciary systems are, despite what people want to think, ultimately political bodies in some sense and subject to pressure if it is overwhelming

like in the end, which path gives you more resistance? telling the ESL people to gently caress off (some of whom have already done so because of said public opinion) or telling the clubs who have fans and gov'ts essentially supporting their decision to pay a bunch of money for doing the right thing?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If there’s a contract that the various entities have signed, public opinion literally does not matter.

if you assume it was so well written there's nothing to challenge

which given how well this whole thing was set up, lol

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Spurs were selected because of their insanely rich owner. Nothing else.

pffft, he's only worth four billion, he's basically poor

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Renaissance Spam posted:

Mostly just gleaned from too many podcasts but my theories:

Juve: I think it's a game of chicken for them; Juve has always been antagonistic to UEFA and they might see the ESL as a nuclear option to force UEFA to change things up. to be clear while almost everyone think UEFA needs drastic reforms, those reforms aren't want Juve want, but they have been able to convince their fanbase that they are fighting for them whenever they clash with the organizing body

yeah but how can they still see it as a nuclear option? it's like a nuclear option that can't be launched anymore

here i plug "well there's your problem" a podcast of engineering disasters, latest ep is about a soviet ICBM that exploded on the launchpad due to the army general pushing them to work for days in a row, he dies sitting in a lawnchair watching them work on it

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I feel like since it's pretty accepted that you can't be in multiple competing competitions at once (for example, a team can't play in both La Liga and the Premier League) it probably doesn't violate antitrust laws to say that if you join a competition that conflicts with one you're already in, the existing one can kick you out.

esp since they said it was supposed to replace the CL

have a better shout arguing with the national FAs, but UEFA? nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Syncopated posted:

Some swiss court had decided that UEFA aren’t allowed to ban the SL clubs from champion’s league so they’re all back in apparently. They based that on a spanish court decision, who I’m sure are very good friends with Perez.

what would happen if they just did it anyways? financial penalties? some sort of license revoking?