Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is there really that much more money in this than CL/Europa league. I get that for the English teams it's nice to know they'll always have a spot but Barca, Madrid and PSG already have such unfair advantages with regards to domestic league that it's not like their spot was ever at risk. Or is the plan to do this AND Champions League, in which case, who the gently caress wants to watch that much? Although I guess with all the extra games they can finally have game time for all the talent everyone hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Apraxin posted:

their press release is vague in where the gently caress it's coming from, but apparently yes
https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1383912453054947335

Gotcha. Ok that makes much more sense then from their perspective and I guess they will could even sell future "franchise" slots to enterprising billionaires who buy other teams. What a mess.

e: lol just saw that Florentino Pérez is the chairman. This is just money laundering.

BWV fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 19, 2021

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I mean if they really get kicked out of their domestic leagues (which I doubt they will) then they might as well have a salary cap and tie player salaries to revenue like other north american leagues. actually i guess that would probably need a bunch of other crazy things to happen first so forget it. just thinking about other ways this might lead them to cutting costs now that the threat of being replaced is no longer on the table.

e: guess we have to see how the payouts will work .

BWV fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 19, 2021

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

still laughing at this

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Thank you mr Perez for saving football.

Also I 100% think expansion slots will be opened up the next time Barca or Milan gets into financial trouble again.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I've already seen the tide turn a bit with Barca fans online who are buying into the narrative that they were forced into doing this and that they don't like it but understand how it was inevitable. My instinct is to say it's all bullshit and they would do this even if they weren't so in debt, but I also see how scared some people are of Madrid getting a leg up and loving them on the next tv deal the way the two of them gently caress everyone else at the moment. Personally, I think they are gutless and wish they stuck to more moral behaviour like human trafficking and embezzlement, but such is life. Either way, it sucks seeing one of the grossest parts of North American sports (empathizing with the owners/executive class) become more popular amongst fans.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Super League loving owned

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Perez sure was right about shortening the length of things. Having a rise and fall in 48 hours is my type of drama.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

shame on all the new money fans who ditched on the Super League when the going got tough. As a legacy fan and licensed subscriber I look forward to watching all the Premium Content and welcome more synergized consumer opportunities." mes que un club " I say!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How does Barca have that much debt

it's mostly from transfers, wages and from other earlier debt.They also I think used to have a lot easier access to domestic money (loans) but now even that isn't enough. They typically make a ton of money too though, so in the board's minds they probably think they just need to get past this. Probably also why the guaranteed money sounds appealing.

Now the new extra-online Barca theory (that in no way is designed to make them look as least bad as possible) states that Barca actually want to leave but they would have to pay a penalty to leave, so to avoid it they need to have it put to a vote so the club supporters can say no.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Super League 2.0 just never had the same staying power as the original.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Pretty funny 48 hours for Florentino Perez.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The next ESL should have a Seppuku clause for the chairmen if they decide to leave.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

He's completely right. Barca keeps on acting like their debt issue is a revenue problem when it's so clearly a spending issue. Even if they sold half the team, they[d still have enough money to place 3/4 which is exactly where they are at the moment.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

You do get to a point where player wages need to take a cut (or at least their rate of growth really needs to slow down). I don't think that's all on the clubs because players and their agents have a role in that too.

That being said, I'm a bit conflicted because if anyone deserves to make money off of the game, it's the talent on the field.

I agree completely. The current wages are insane, but a big part of that is because the board kept on buying players they didn't need so they could keep their job. It's not like they didn't know that their core players were expensive and aging,. And trying to replace them with even more expensive players without cutting cost was always going to be hard. Hell, even Madrid has been tame on the transfer market compared to Barca,—although I think that has to do with all the money laundering they are doing with their supposed stadium rebuild.

Also, the whole point of all these stupid rules about board members all needing to have money is based on the fact that they can cover excessive debts. But the second the bill comes they immediately cry poor (the Arthur transfer) or join dumb ideas like the ESL. E: #capitalism

BWV fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 22, 2021

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Grimson posted:

best break out your newspeak dictionaries for this one

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1385277517347672065?s=20

Thank you Barcelona for seeking new formulas for solidarity with the football family as a whole, which as we all know, is one of FC Barcelona's most inalienable principles,

"New formulas for solidarity" Xavi mutters while standing over Cruyffs grave.

I, for one, am back to supporting the Super League (but only if it has 5 teams who play against each other every weekday for 9 months a year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

need to start dumping Coca Cola in the Thames

e: or whatever river is in Manchester. Thought the video was Arsenal fans at first.

BWV fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 24, 2021