Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
Hey all, I got linked this thread as I'm knee-deep in my own pre-debut mess, so I thought I'd just drop in and awkwardly namedrop myself?

I've been streaming for a good while now and I don't know, the idea of having an anime girl in the corner during streams appealed to me so I decided to just go for it. Don't really have any big expectations, I'm not trying to become famous (people have already made the very true points of market over-saturation, being internet famous needs luck, being Vtube famous needs you being part of a big group, etc etc), just in it to have fun. I only really have experience with streaming games for now, I don't really have anything else planned yet. I might do some language themed streams in the future but that's just a thought for now?
But yeah, going to start using my model this Saturday, wish me luck!

And before I forget, my Twitch account in case you want to come dunk on me.

Sundae posted:

FYI, if you are considering starting up VTubing, please please do your homework first. Unless you already know you're into streaming and will stick with it, don't spend insane amounts of money on this poo poo. Like any hobby, VTubing has a wonderfully low cost of entry but a hilariously high ceiling of expenditure. I see far too many people who slap down thousands of dollars on gear / models / music / art / whatever for their streams, do it for two months and then either realize it's not for them or give up because they aren't growing exponentially. I also see people who spend a lot on a model and then realize it isn't the right model for them, and then spend even more to get what they really wanted now that they realize it.

If you aren't sure what you want to do, come in as a PNGtuber or something and try it out for a bit. See if you even like the idea once you're doing it. Plus, it's way cheaper to ask some artist on DeviantArt to make you a different character for PNGtubing than it is to pay someone to draw/rig up an entirely new Live2D or do another 3D model.

Can't emphasize this enough. I've sadly seen a lot of people around me do this and it always breaks my heart. Now they're sat there with a 2k model they could use if the fancy strikes them but very likely never will.

Pollyanna posted:

To change gears a bit: what needs to be done about pre-existing online identities and accounts if someone wants to set up a Vtuber character or similar personality? Cause it’s a sad fact that people love to creep on past identities and such. And I got to thinking, is your best bet to wipe the slate clean with your existing identities (e.g. wipe Twitter posts, YouTube channels, etc.) if you’ve used it for personal/close-to-RL stuff and continue using it? Or make an entirely separate identity and try your damndest not to let the two get correlated?

Personally I worked off the assumption that in my situation it would be fine, sadly I do have some personal stuff that I had attached to this name, but since I'm so small-time, you know, should be fine. I only choose to keep my current identity because I just restarted everything a few months ago and restarting again just didn't seem that appealing to me. I'd still say "make new accounts" for anyone else though, because yeah, creeps like to creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU