Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

The US really decided to make up for lost time huh? Though it is wild how it seems to suggest a bunch of people were sitting around respectiving Covid restrictions and stuff and are now going "Finally, the lockdown is lifted, I can go on that shooting spree I've been planning for six months!".

"I would go on a shooting spree, but the gun store has a mask requirement"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there anything... that can be done about his attitude? Literally, in any other job this kind behavior would not be tolerated.

He can be removed from the committee by the Democrats, same as happened with MTG. He can be censured by a majority of the whole House and ejected from the House with a 2/3 majority

e: and yeah you could go fishing in his closet for skeletons and turn up a lot, but in terms of pure congressional procedure in absence of pressure from Republicans the above are the options

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

universal pre-k feels like it would be such a sea change moment. my mother in part chose her career path based on which employers provided low cost daycare, because it was the only way she would be able to work. and that was decades ago, i have to imagine the situation for parents is even worse now

NYC got universal pre-K not long ago and while I'm not in a position to benefit from it it's been really good overall

cr0y posted:

What's the new flag gonna look like

:ussr:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really think at this point it's going to take a big thing for Tucker to get fired. He's had other scandals that have gone away when he took a 'vacation'. He also regularly regurgitates Alt Right talking points on air every night without an issue.

Isn't he Fox News's #1 draw by a wide margin? If he goes the entire business goes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

pretty impressive, really, what with the revenge shooting being half an hour before the verdict announcement

They were hoping those jurors glued to the news would see it, clearly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A big flaming stink posted:

seriously, you all think them saying "blue lives matter" was not motivated by the chauvin trial???? im frankly at a complete loss if that's what you actually believe :psyduck:

It was very likely motivated by the trial but suggesting it was motivated by the verdict seems a bridge too far

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Also speaking of the flag; who in government decides the new one? Like say DC gets its statehood: is it congress, Biden, or a constitutional congress or what that decides upon the new flag?

The overall design of the flag (13 red and white stripes, blue rectangle with a white star for each state) is set by law; the president selects the layout of the stars by issuing an executive order

Also part of the law: Flag updates take effect on the subsequent Independence Day :911:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

"We rise from the ashes" is a badass thing to say on your city flag. Boston's is some bullshit about loving god.

I just like how Detroit invented the Drake no/yes meme 70 years ago

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A recent surge of Republicanism is definitely why NYS has democratic supermajorities in both chambers for the first time in forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Orthanc6 posted:

That's... very surprising. I realize drones can be tiny, but we've known for years now that drones of any size can be used for reconnaissance and attack. And heck, airports have developed a bunch of methods for getting rid of drones in their airspace. Keeping the airspace directly above a CVN clear of enemy aircraft of any size should be top priority, I think a lot of people dropped the ball on this one.

Weird world where a toy from Best Buy can interfere with operation of a state-of-the-art, multi-billion USD war machine.

They probably were fully aware of the drone and had something aimed at it or easily could have. But if they were reasonably sure it wasn't going to initiate hostilities shooting it down would have been more trouble than it was worth diplomatically.

Of course if it actually did drop something on the carrier, poo poo would have gotten real fast and both sides know this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It'll be the Trump plan of giving a bunch of tax cuts to corporations and asking nicely that they please spend the surplus on infrastructure

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even if we allow for the sake of argument that Republicans that pledged to vote for the bill would actually do so, any bill capable of attracting 10 Republican pledges is probably one that at least 10 Dems should drop off on general principle

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Self-abolishing police are the best kind

Space Gopher posted:

When one line really just shows the speaker's entire rear end

The cop's complaint isn't that they think the defense did a bad job, or the jury was tainted, or anything like that. Just that Chauvin got a fair trial.

To be fair, I think he's trying to say "no chance of getting a fair trial". Of course to them the fair trial is the one that acquits him so it does still show a lot of rear end

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

I agree with you on all counts. But gently caress do I feel like a patsy for not figuring it out and getting some money out of it.

You'd feel even more like a patsy if you'd sunk a ton of money into it and still not figured it out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Blockchain does not have any applications that cannot be done better by an existing mature, efficient technology (except crime)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Mine ancient pc is making like $2-3 net every day and gave me free heating in the winter. Bitcoin is a dumb ponzi scheme at this point but doesn't mean you can't make money on it.

How much has it pushed up your electricity bill? And are you going to turn it off in the summer or run the AC more?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

Which Senators intern is tasked with putting those lovely charts together?

Like do they draw straws, or does one senator have a reputation for always having a kid who's good with MSPaint?

As I understand it there is a permanent Congressional graphic design department that makes all these charts for everyone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ryde posted:

Is it possible for the republicans to sabotage DC statehood by delaying until the midterms or undoing it?

The Senate resolution will be filibusterable, so unless the filibuster is modified it's dead. If it passes there is no procedure for eliminating a state without the consent of that state so it's effectively permanent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But how mad will Ben Shapiro be that this lunatic gets a debate first

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Space Gopher posted:

There will not be a debate. That post is about as legit as "hey, @JeffBezos, nice running into you, thanks for the offer to give me a billion bucks worth of Amazon shares, hope to see them in my account soon!"

I know, I just wanted to think about Shapiro being mad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Abner Assington posted:

Mutually Assured Dadstruction.

Dadman Theory

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The pollster asks you a simple yes or no question, you can't answer that with a detailed, nuanced diatribe about how Biden's unprecedentedly leftist incrementalism, while an objective and tangible improvement over Trump, is inadequate to address American's trajectory unless he or someone else proceeds to more radical upheavals of the social order. Or at least if you do he's still going to mark you down as a simple yes or no (or "did not answer"). It's an opinion poll, not an open call for editorials, it comes up with one number that tells you very little about the individuals and their rationales for declaring approval.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 23, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, it's a shame Biden left office having never addressed those things

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If we made Brazil a state, would its senators be democrats?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vasukhani posted:

what is his argument lol, property rights?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/22/why-i-support-reparations-all-conservatives-should/

quote:

But in the current drunken haze of government spending, appropriating trillions for the noble purpose of bringing Black Americans who remain economically penalized by the enslavement of their ancestors closer to the fiscal universe of White citizens surely seems less objectionable than some recent spending proposals.

I guess that means reparations are better and more conservative than unemployment insurance, universal health care, infrastructure, etc?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 25, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lil Nas X, Colin Kaepernick, and the head of the NCAA sitting in a boardroom laughing like Captain Planet villains

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Same to some extent.

If you went to a school that wasn't terrible you probably became aware that we treated the natives very poorly but "genocide" is a big symbolic word and mental leap that most people don't make

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wizzardstaff posted:

and the punchline:

You... can't do that, right? Don't the electors explicitly vote for the presidential and VP candidates in those roles?

I mean, it's easy enough to make the VP become president after the election, but you can't make the president become VP without Congress approving it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So really it's beer flavored with chicken broth, which is both technically beer and technically non-vegetarian. This is going to become a fixture at right-wing events, isn't it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If AOC's district is punitively removed she's more than capable of moving to one of the remaining ones and knocking out the incumbent. New York will inevitably have multiple deep blue districts just because NYC has almost half the state population

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why would anyone shake when they spot a maskless person? If they take covid seriously they're either wearing a mask themselves or already got vaccinated

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

snorch posted:

He's going to Nunberg through this isn't he?

Can't, he's too old to do that much coke

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Oh, no, I know Bong Hits 4 Jesus, it's a classic. I was asking why it's relevant right this second. Was there some news item in the past day or so where a school did something horrendous to another kid minding their own business or is this about, say, the kid who got "expelled" from online school for having a BB gun in the background of his Zoom meet?

The court is preparing to rule on a similar case, where a kid posted a snapchat (after hours and away from school property) and got disciplined after it was brought to the school's attention

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/mahanoy-area-school-district-v-b-l/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TulliusCicero posted:

It's pretty much been that since Disney World and Epcot

The question is what's the experiment?

In how many ways can the land itself try to kill people before they give up on living there? Trials are still ongoing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
RIP Elizabeth City tonight

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best analogy I've seen is that NFTs are literally a villain scheme from Captain Planet. You turn the system on and it produces nothing but pollution and cash in a rich guy's pocket.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Psychologically, sure, but it's a lot harder to die from complications of video gaming (carpal tunnel can't get that bad)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How does he feel about the DC statehood plus ten billion for West Virginia bill?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

1. How do you efficiently tax people in this globalized era where it’s trivial to hide your money off shore. Or create legal entities that exist out of US tax jurisdictions despite the bulk of their revenues coming from America? It seems to me that if you raise taxes they’ll just find new ways to make their tax liabilities go to 0. At best you can try to eliminate tax credits so you aren’t paying Amazon to be rich.

The Biden administration is already working on an international initiative to counter this sort of thing by aligning taxation worldwide and applying multilateral pressure to tax havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In which occupation is it the most appropriate to knee a teenager in the balls? Asking for a friend