Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

“Jeff Yospos” posted:

Our cloud provider has informed us that, on April 25th, 2021, they will need to shut down our servers and move them to another data center

thanks for keeping us safe radium :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i cant believe he's stealing all our valor like that

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

having paid $10 to a different guy 16 years ago im going to have to veto this

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

more like clown host imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol that this runs on literal hardware

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
isn’t the point of cloud poo poo etc that this kind of stuff happens quietly in the background

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cloudy with a chance of downtime

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
there is a reasonable chance that the spit-and-scotch-tape structure of the somethingawful forums will not survive this move.

it's been an honor posting with you all

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

whoa whoa whoa don't say anything you can't take back

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

carry on then posted:

more like clown host imo

SO DEMANDING posted:

cloudy with a chance of downtime

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

isn’t the point of cloud poo poo etc that this kind of stuff happens quietly in the background

it’s a very small cloud :yaycloud:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

there is a reasonable chance that the spit-and-scotch-tape structure of the somethingawful forums will not survive this move.

o7

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we’re probably still running on those servers that had to be physically driven out of New Orleans after Katrina

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i thought we moved everything to the cloud but its steadfast so perhaps

carry on then posted:

more like clown host imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

we’re probably still running on those servers that had to be physically driven out of New Orleans after Katrina

100% certainty

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lowtax was doing the 20 year depreciation schedule

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just these screaming dust caked northwood p4 servers lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

lowtax was doing the 20 year depreciation schedule

I mean it was that or give up the leased GTRs and physical office

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

physical office

:rip:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wonder how it felt, waking up at home, driving to work in your GTR just to get into the office and start hitting the bottle so you can pass out on the couch and make sure today is another unproductive mess

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

wonder how it felt, waking up at home, driving to work in your GTR just to get into the office and start hitting the bottle so you can pass out on the couch and make sure today is another unproductive mess

yeah i guess a gtr would make a nice change

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

wb echi

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
love a good cloud tbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

just these screaming dust caked northwood p4 servers lmao

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rotor posted:

yeah i guess a gtr would make a nice change

heh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eighteen rack units of the finest ebay poo poo one could buy in 2004, a phalanx of 40mm grime-covered fans all groaning in unison and spinning up at power-on at the same rate as an old-timey water wheel

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
loving power switches hanging loose out the front with the 2-pin header cord snaking inside

at least one server that is sharpied DB - DO NOT JIGGLE - DRIVES WILL CRASH but it's actually been a load balancer since 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

how hard can it possibly be to image everything and move it to a cloud that actually is other peoples computers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

how hard can it possibly be to image everything and move it to a cloud that actually is other peoples computers

56k no

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I don’t even know wtf that is supposed to mean

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

physical office

lmao forever

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

for years after you could still see the sign in street view but I think it’s been updated

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

I don’t even know wtf that is supposed to mean

"people still using dial-up modems should not load this thread, because it has a lot of images that will take you forever to download"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

"people still using dial-up modems should not load this thread, because it has a lot of images that will take you forever to download"

assuming that everyone could afford a 56k modem was classist

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

no i meant my post in general

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

we are yet to see a net benefit

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

echinopsis posted:

we are yet to see a net benefit

we havent seen netpositive in over 20 years

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im over here lolling at the “cloud provider” hosting your physical servers that you own. great cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i hope it’s cheap at least