Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I was randomly messing around with the perpage url tag just now, and found out that I can set any number from 1 to 40 (31 posts per page? no problem. 1 post per page? also works.), but it ignores anything over 40. Why is that?

As an aside, with less than 40, it's hilarious seeing posts talking about 'page sniping' halfway down the page. I've never understood why some goons feel those posts are extra special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ambaire posted:

I was randomly messing around with the perpage url tag just now, and found out that I can set any number from 1 to 40 (31 posts per page? no problem. 1 post per page? also works.), but it ignores anything over 40. Why is that?

As an aside, with less than 40, it's hilarious seeing posts talking about 'page sniping' halfway down the page. I've never understood why some goons feel those posts are extra special.

Let's say some goons are discussing something, and the last post on the previous page was a very thoroughly thought out post about how to best cultivate chilis at home, which sort were the best under which circumstances, what to do about aphids munching on your plants, etc. Then the next post, first on the new page, is "I don't like chilis". That's a terrible page snipe, and it's right to point out to folks that if they somehow landed on the next page without seeing the previous page's post, they ought to go back and read it.

Or it's an LP and the update was the 40th post, or the big movie review, or the thoughtful legal advice, or whatever. I think it's good to draw attention to those posts, to mention the page snipe if the circumstances warrant it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Torrannor posted:

That's a terrible page snipe, and it's right to point out to folks that if they somehow landed on the next page without seeing the previous page's post, they ought to go back and read it.

Yeah, if someone was totally new to these forums and didn't know how they worked. It's just a natural consequence of that working that ~2.5% of all posts will be the first one on a new page. If a new page post doesn't make sense out of context, I take it as 'go back a page, hit End' to see if there was relevance there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ambaire posted:

I appreciate that this was a page snipe

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The whole problem would be nicely solved if there was some alternative way to view these forums. Maybe scrolling up on a new page could somehow load posts from the last page?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

imo just add all new posts to one giant thread that auto-loads as you scroll down. add thread star ratings to each post and then elevate the posts by rating. i guess add 'sub-posts' so you can reply to particular posts, where it's relevant. probably should rank those by rating too

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Chadzok posted:

imo just add all new posts to one giant thread that auto-loads as you scroll down. add thread star ratings to each post and then elevate the posts by rating. i guess add 'sub-posts' so you can reply to particular posts, where it's relevant. probably should rank those by rating too

No, gently caress Reddit. Somethingawful's 'every post is equally important' is rather nice.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Ambaire posted:

No, gently caress Reddit. Somethingawful's 'every post is equally important' is rather nice.

absolutely. this is quint-essential to the forums being good. ratings will increase the circle-jerkiness and introduce "gaming the system" bullshit.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

no, stop, please stop killing my totally serious idea you guys

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

don't worry I just onerated this thread, no one will see it now

astral
Apr 26, 2004

slowly lowering the "break glass in the event of infinite scrolling" emergency hammer

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Please no post ratings, I can't deal with finding out everyone actually hates everything I say

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

astral posted:

slowly lowering the "break glass in the event of infinite scrolling" emergency hammer

I am very glad this hammer exists.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Turn on rating for everyone who wants it, but the only ratings are "poo poo" or "1"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Rarity posted:

Please no post ratings, I can't deal with finding out everyone actually hates everything I say

Yeah no I already have enough issues seeking validation from the internet I don't need it also to show me how much people despise my posting

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
As for the front page, personally I think it'll be good to get some writing up on there again. People still want to read poo poo, it's just that every site that got successful got bought and stripped.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ambaire posted:

That's as high as Lowtax could count

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Dark mode is good but the colors for read and unread replies is too similar.

Came here to post this, can we increase the contrast more? Other than that I'm loving dark mode.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DEAR JEFFREY,

I really don't like the red text staring at me on the top of the page and the Donate on Patreon button forcing an extra line up on the purchase bar thingy please fix tia

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

quoting this 5 day old post I just saw to say I appreciate this post

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
if you get a page snipe that makes no sense or loses something good just go back and edit a quote in and don't apologize tia

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Youth Decay posted:

DEAR JEFFREY,

I really don't like the red text staring at me on the top of the page and the Donate on Patreon button forcing an extra line up on the purchase bar thingy please fix tia

Idk they should add the blink tag

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The "(New! Dark Mode)" next to "Edit Options" has caused the "User Control Panel" link to get shifted left and I keep opening my messages instead of my control panel. So many years of useful muscle memory down the drain.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What is the forums purchase or patreon amount to disable darkmode for specific users, or site wide? Like I'm in for :10bux: to turn it off for someone for a month.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Rarity posted:

Please no post ratings,

This is, imho, how this site survived the early 00s. This is how DIGG (lol how long did we have that button?) and reddit became poo poo tier sites.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Youth Decay posted:

DEAR JEFFREY,

What red text?

I used uBlock Origin's element picker mode to hide the offenders.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

H110Hawk posted:

What is the forums purchase or patreon amount to disable darkmode for specific users, or site wide? Like I'm in for :10bux: to turn it off for someone for a month.

That would suck for people who use dark mode because of eye problems.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Dark mode causes eye strain for me. So do pro-glare lcd screens such as modern Mac laptops in most lighting situations such as outside. Proper lighting solves a lot of this by reducing glare.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

H110Hawk posted:

Dark mode causes eye strain for me. So do pro-glare lcd screens such as modern Mac laptops in most lighting situations such as outside. Proper lighting solves a lot of this by reducing glare.

I've got a dumb degenerative eye problem that's only getting more irritating to work around every passing year so I feel your pain.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

im glad its hard for you to read because im extremely hosed up

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

HopperUK posted:

So it's a "kill goons"-button, then?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I mean when you put it like that :10bux: :10bux:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

H110Hawk posted:

I don't give a poo poo about titles or avatars because those can be disabled in the options. Suggesting actively loving with other users, though? Shame on you.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Desert Bus posted:

The "(New! Dark Mode)" next to "Edit Options" has caused the "User Control Panel" link to get shifted left and I keep opening my messages instead of my control panel. So many years of useful muscle memory down the drain.

came here to post this. Please take it off from the bottom(leave it on at the top so people see it)

low key sex master posted:

Yeah no I already have enough issues seeking validation from the internet I don't need it also to show me how much people despise my posting

the fact that I am constantly bemoaning to myself that there is no like so I know I'm a good poster tells me that the lack is good for my mental health

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Every once in a while I find myself wishing there were some way to express approval of a post without posting, but I just don't really need to do that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

RFC2324 posted:

came here to post this. Please take it off from the bottom(leave it on at the top so people see it)

wtf

i don't think i've ever clicked the buttons on the bottom banner before, ever

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Every once in a while I find myself wishing there were some way to express approval of a post without posting, but I just don't really need to do that.

Have you heard of the Empty-Quote?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RFC2324 posted:

the fact that I am constantly bemoaning to myself that there is no like so I know I'm a good poster tells me that the lack is good for my mental health

Empty quoting is our version of a like.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Zil posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zil posted: