Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

(Edit: CPL not CSL.)

(Edit: Added UPSL.)

USL, CSL CPL, NISA, NPSL, UPSL, etc.: lower league soccer 2021.

I'm too lazy and underinformed to do a new write up for 2021, but am also tired of waiting for a new thread. Here's Edward Mass from last year instead!

quote:

Not MLS but still professional leagues in the US and Canada thread for 2020

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913602&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Edward Mass posted:

Like video streaming services, soccer leagues in the United States and Canada are popping up all the time! This is the tread to discus all the professional leagues that aren't Major League Soccer.

Tier 1 - Canadian Premier League
Canada has their very own tier 1 league, and you Canuck assholes haven't made your own thread. For shame. Defending champions are Forge FC.

Tier 2 - USL Championship
The grounds where MLS expansion eyes sit. Defending champions are Real Monarchs SLC.

Tier 3 - USL League One
More than half this league are reserve squads for bigger clubs. Defending champions are North Texas SC.

Also Tier 3 - National Independent Soccer Association
The disruptive league, playing fall-to-spring. No champs yet, since it's their first season.

Tier ? - Wherever the New York Cosmos play
They played in the NPSL Members Cup last year, and I don't know if that's leading to anything.

If you live in a town with a club in one of these leagues, go to a match! Have a beer, sing a song, punch a child in the face (valid only in Orlando). You never know which guy playing soccer on a baseball field will sign a deal with a big club!

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies got a new logo.

Here's the old Ralph circa 1975:

Here comes the new Ralph, not quite the same as the old Ralph:

Ralph 1975: cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Ralph 2021: hipster Ron Swanson does not approve of your choice of football club or craft beer.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
After many years of supporting Detroit City FC, I’m now officially one of the team physicians. I’ll be on the sidelines for most of the home games this year and away for the shorter road trips.

Currently watching them dominate Chattanooga on their home field and about to win the NISA Legends Cup with zero (0) goals conceded. It’s real nice to watch a Detroit team actually win something. City may win more games than the Lions this year.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

looks like its team write-up time!

Let me introduce those of you new to minor league soccer (probably no one reading this) to Louisville City FC.

A team which is exceptionally popular in the not traditionally soccer-friendly lands of kentucky due to the potent combination of being

a. the only professional team in town (bats don't count)
b. winning

of the last 3 USL championships played, Lou City has played in 3 of them and won 2. they currently play in Lynn Family Stadium,

the largest stadium in the USL which is beautiful, modern, and smells terrible as it's lovingly sandwiched between the interstate and a literal pork-processing plant. fortunately no homes were demolished to make way for it though as is often the case in these big development projects as its built on land the city forbade building on 60 years ago due to constant flooding.

Its women's affiliate is Racing Louisville whose first season is this one and actually plays in the Women's majors. Lynn Stadium was built with the vain hope of Lou City one day moving up to MLS despite there being no chance of this ever actually happening due to potential markets being evaluated first-and-foremost on profitability, market size, and interested billionaires rather than petty things like on-field performance and fan support.

Their biggest rival is FC Cincinatti which moved up to the MLS 2 years ago and still regularly loses to Louisville by multiple points in friendlies.

Pros of supporting Lou City:
An independent club in a league full of MLS affiliates. Lets you feel like an underdog while winning all the time.
Lets you complain about the lack of promotion/relegation in MLS. Excellent if you're a European fond of sports arguments!

Cons:
False hope of joining MLS every time they discuss expansion (every year)
Smell

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 26, 2021

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Anyone wanting a quick history lesson on the Tampa Bay Rowdies can see my effort post from last year.

The coof robbed the Rowdies of a chance to win USL Championship last year; I'm not following very closely so I don't know how the new team is shaping up for this year but hope springs eternal.

One major change for Al Lang Stadium this year, a new standing section on the old berm (now the kids will have nowhere to play and rough house and tumble down the berm during the match, alas; many kids and parents will be disappointed). Does this replace the standing section built last year but never used due to the pandemic? Locals please report.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 26, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You're doing God's work, Do over ham, even if you just used my OP from last year.

I MIGHT go to an ABFC match, depending on circumstances regarding the pandemic.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Cons:
False hope of joining MLS every time they discuss expansion (every year)
Smell
To be sure there will be some ripe days, but I honestly have only even noticed it once or twice so far. It's a small price to pay to go from one of the worst venues in the league to one of the best.

Do over Ham posted:

The coof robbed the Rowdies of a chance to win USL Championship last year; I'm not following very closely so I don't know how the new team is shaping up for this year but hope springs eternal.
They kept almost everyone and made a few new pickups. General opinion seems to be they're the easy favorite to win their division.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Still no word of a CPL season. On the one hand, teams are back to training; on the other, holy moly are Alberta and Ontario loving everything up.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Shade thrown at NYCFC and RBNY

https://twitter.com/USLChampionship/status/1387060330648510470

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Stiev Awt posted:

Still no word of a CPL season. On the one hand, teams are back to training; on the other, holy moly are Alberta and Ontario loving everything up.

actually it's CSL now *taps the thread title*

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

New York Cosmos could have done something like this by now if they had not been owned by a series of rich blowhards. :rolleyes:

Technically I think there were SSS in NYC back in the 1920s and 1930s but no one remembers the Brooklyn Wanderers or the original ASL.

Edit: Ah yes my memory has not failed me, here we go:

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Wanderers

During its years in the ASL, the Wanderers played at Hawthorne Field, a dedicated soccer stadium owned by Agar.[7]

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 28, 2021

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Azerban posted:

actually it's CSL now *taps the thread title*

Crap! That's what I get for half-assing it. I was thinking CPL but typed CSL. Oh well.

CSL is a thing too, especially if you like leagues kicked out of FIFA for connections to organized crime, severe gambling and match fixing problems, etc.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 28, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Do over Ham posted:

New York Cosmos could have done something like this by now if they had not been owned by a series of rich blowhards. :rolleyes:

Technically I think there were SSS in NYC back in the 1920s and 1930s but no one remembers the Brooklyn Wanderers or the original ASL.

Edit: Ah yes my memory has not failed me, here we go:

the only OG soccer clubs i remember are the ones whose nicknames were just random ethnic groups that exclusively won the open cup for 60 years. I await the day an MLS team takes the branding of the Philadelphia Ukranians or the Pancypriot-Freedoms for its fake hipster history instead of just throwing a dart blindfolded at a list of euro clubs they've heard of

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the only OG soccer clubs i remember are the ones whose nicknames were just random ethnic groups that exclusively won the open cup for 60 years. I await the day an MLS team takes the branding of the Philadelphia Ukranians or the Pancypriot-Freedoms for its fake hipster history instead of just throwing a dart blindfolded at a list of euro clubs they've heard of

Wanderers is a very traditional name, not a random ethnic group nickname, yet seems to still be completely alien to the superficial soccer knowledge of the MLS marketing people (ditto Rovers, Rangers, etc.). When it finally got through their thick skulls that "United" or "FC" was a thing, next thing you know half of MLS is United and/or FC.

As to corporate sponsor names, Red Bulls are in good company in US soccer history: the Ben Millers (St. Louis hat company), Boston Wonder Workers (named after a tug boat), Bethlehem Steel, St. Louis Scullin Steel, Indiana Flooring, J. & P. Coats (British textile company), Clark O.N.T. (Our New Thread = textile company), Todd Shipyards, Brooklyn Robins Dry Dock, etc. I think Brookhattan were named after a sponsoring company too, although I can't seem to find that info now with a quick Google search; the original Brookhattan FC were based in the Bronx, not Brooklyn or Manhattan.

Not all of the ethnic clubs had obvious ethnic names: back in the 19th/early 20th century naming sports clubs after the ancient Greeks was very much a thing:

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Sparta

Chicago Sparta

The Sparta Athletic and Benevolent Association Football Club, better known as Chicago Sparta, is one of the longest continually established soccer clubs in the United States. Founded in 1917, it was one of the dominant teams from Chicago, Illinois from the mid-1920s to the late 1940s.

History

In 1915, immigrant Czechs living in Chicago, Illinois formed a social sports organization which they named the Sparta Athletic and Benevolent Association. In 1917, several players from Chicago Slavia joined Sparta A and BA to form the core of Sparta’s soccer club. This team, known at times as Sparta A and BA or Sparta ABA, is best known simply as Chicago Sparta. In 1922, Sparta joined the Chicago Major League. However, up to 1923, Sparta had remained an undistinguished amateur recreational team. That year, it signed several Czechs who had recently immigrated to the United States. These proved to be exceptional players and they quickly brought Sparta to the top of the city’s soccer hierarchy. At the time, Chicago was dominated by ethnic British leagues, but during the early 1920, several new leagues were formed to meet the needs of other expatriate teams. There are no records of which of these leagues Sparta played in, but in 1926, it joined the St. Louis Soccer League which was attempting to expand throughout the Midwest United States. Sparta played only four games, a 2-1-1 record, before withdrawing on November 16, 1926. It then joined Chicago's International League, winning nine titles before moving to the new National Soccer League of Chicago in 1937. It won that season's title, then no more. However, by that time, it was gaining attention at the national level, winning the 1938 National Challenge Cup and earning a co-championship in the 1940 National Challenge Cup. In 1938, Sparta rejoined the St. Louis Soccer League. This time, it won the league title, their last in team history. In 1969, Sparta tied for the Peel Cup title with Chicago Kickers, never to win a national or state competition after that year.

I suppose we should be wary of putting too many ideas into the heads of the MLS marketing people however.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 28, 2021

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Please, Mr. Shipyards is my father. Call me

Do over Ham posted:

Todd Shipyards

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

biggest crime of lack of promotion/relegation in US soccer is that we would have had the craziest loving team names in the world if they had just implemented it. A world in which the MLS championship is between the Pancyprian-Freedoms and Indiana Flooring is too beautiful to imagine.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I'm still heartbroken that Ottawa went with Atletico; if Red Bull had got their grubby little mitts in soon enough we could have had RB Ottawa and everyone could laugh at the new RedBlacks.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Clanachan announced the season will not be starting on May long weekend and more details are coming May 15.

My guess is another season spent at a neutral site.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

John Hackworth left Louisville yesterday via "mutual consent". Sounds like fun times there.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 29, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

John Hackworth had his contract left Louisville yesterday via "mutual consent". Sounds like fun times there.

either o'connor wants the job back now that hes back from MLS or there was a scandal brewing that they somehow completely kept the lid on. Leaving mid-season with a winning record and no job offer is inexplicable otherwise.

EDIT: The press release spends 1 sentence saying he's leaving then 6 paragraphs effusively praising Cruz. James O'Connor apparently has no interest in coaching again and is happy staying in charge of development/building out Racing. Several tweets keep stressing that its mutual. None of this makes any sense and we'll probably never learn why. Why is this minor league soccer team suddenly filled with palace intrigue.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 29, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Renaissance Spam posted:

I'm still heartbroken that Ottawa went with Atletico; if Red Bull had got their grubby little mitts in soon enough we could have had RB Ottawa and everyone could laugh at the new RedBlacks.

you misspelled REDBLACKS

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

knew this was happening for a while as it made its way through the Detroit city grapevine, but ugh:

https://twitter.com/atletiOttawa/status/1387829142633201668?s=19

SCL was a brutally efficient super sub for DCFC last year, has been with the club for nearly its entire history, leading goal scorer, and an all around really lovely dude to talk to. I’m incredibly sad to be losing him but also obviously very happy for him.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Slotducks posted:

you misspelled REDBLACKS

You're right, I did not mean to disrespect the REDBLACKS in such a way.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

knew this was happening for a while as it made its way through the Detroit city grapevine, but ugh:

https://twitter.com/atletiOttawa/status/1387829142633201668?s=19

SCL was a brutally efficient super sub for DCFC last year, has been with the club for nearly its entire history, leading goal scorer, and an all around really lovely dude to talk to. I’m incredibly sad to be losing him but also obviously very happy for him.

I haven't been keeping up with a lot of the NGS grape vine for a while so this was news to me, sad sad sad news. Still excited for the home opener on Saturday though!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Phoenix Rising FC is good now, and I don't know how to comprehend this.

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1388179688108044292

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

just got back from the first home detroit city fc match in… gosh, 18 months? and it felt incredibly good. a remarkably well behaved crowd, only saw one single person that didn’t initially appear interested in wearing their mask properly but was fine after a talking to.
obviously didn’t feel normal but i hope that everyone in here will have the opportunity to experience something similar this year.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

just got back from the first home detroit city fc match in… gosh, 18 months? and it felt incredibly good. a remarkably well behaved crowd, only saw one single person that didn’t initially appear interested in wearing their mask properly but was fine after a talking to.
obviously didn’t feel normal but i hope that everyone in here will have the opportunity to experience something similar this year.

I was there too! Everyone was insanely well behaved and actually seemed interested in following the rules. And that goal to win it in stoppage time??? Yessss!

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

oh speaking of the us open cup, apparently the winners from 1955, S.C. Eintracht , are still around???

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

David Bulow, who was part of the Richmond Kickers for about 15 years as a player, then a coach, then as the manager, died yesterday due to complications following a stroke. He was only 41. He had three young kids too.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

biggest crime of lack of promotion/relegation in US soccer is that we would have had the craziest loving team names in the world if they had just implemented it. A world in which the MLS championship is between the Pancyprian-Freedoms and Indiana Flooring is too beautiful to imagine.

That's not even close to my favorite ye olde time American soccer club name; allow me to introduce the Uhrik Truckers.

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhrik_Truckers

Uhrik Truckers

Philadelphia German-American was an American soccer club based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that was an inaugural member of the professional American Soccer League.

Before the 1941/42 season the club became known as the Philadelphia Americans. During the 1953/54 season, the franchise was bought by a trucking magnate and renamed the Uhrik Truckers.

The team earned a "mini-double" in 1955 winning the league championship and league cup (the Lewis Cup). The club also won the National Amateur Cup in 1933 and 1934 and the Lewis Cup in 1941, 1943 and 1958.

In my fevered imagination some rich hipster is going to do a Metalocalypse tribute and bring back this club as the Ührik Trückers.

quote:

"We're here to make association football metal. We're here to make everything metal. Blacker than the blackest black... times infinity."

Doctor Teeth posted:

oh speaking of the us open cup, apparently the winners from 1955, S.C. Eintracht , are still around???

A lot of those old ethnic soccer clubs are still around in some form, hanging on here and there; for instance Milwaukee Bavarian was founded in 1929 and is still around; they play in the United Premier Soccer League (oops; forgot to include UPSL in my OP):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Bavarian_SC

St. Petersburg Kickers were founded in 1957 and won the US Open Cup in 1989 (the only Florida club to do so) and are still around too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Petersburg_Kickers

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

in the end the New York Red Bulls were actually the most authentic team name

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

I'm sure this has been discussed to death in the past but I really want to express how much I enjoy the CPL's club names. Like not only do they either have history to build off of (Edmonton FC, York United) or tap into a cultural identity (Cavalry, Forge, Valour, HFX Wanderers), but they leave room for other local clubs to build their own identity that doesn't require fighting over the municipality should the league grow enough.

There's a bunch of discussion surrounding the new Saskatchewan franchise and I love the fact that there's a genuine debate around the name, specifically how large in scope they should claim with the club moniker; do they focus on the province as a whole to draw in fans throughout the region like the Roughriders, or do they go smaller so that should another club be formed there isn't toxic overlap?

I'm obviously approaching this from a place of idealism and romance but looking at the drama surrounding MLS rebrands it really feels like the CPL has found a solid middle ground when it comes to club identity.

Still miffed that Ottawa is Atletico rather than Red Bull, but at least they didn't try to pull a Salt Lake and claim the Real moniker.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oh, hey, we're finally getting the 2020 USL Championship Final this Saturday.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Canadian season is starting at a neutral site on mid-June at the earliest, with the intention of moving back to stadiums at a later date. Probably wishful thinking, i dunno.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Oh, hey, we're finally getting the 2020 USL Championship Final this Saturday.

Tampa Bay Rowdies 2-1 Phoenix Rising.

That missing 2020 USL Championship trophy is going to haunt me for the rest of my days. Curse you covid! :argh:

Also Phoenix should have listened to me and named themselves the Phoenix XI. :colbert:

Edit to add tifo:

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 17, 2021

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
this zlatan by our new guy triggered landon donovan so bad he got sent off lmao

https://twitter.com/loucityfc/status/1396278069250469892?s=21

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

Philadelphia German-American was an American soccer club based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that was an inaugural member of the professional American Soccer League.

Before the 1941/42 season the club became known as the Philadelphia Americans. During the 1953/54 season, the franchise was bought by a trucking magnate and renamed the Uhrik Truckers.

Just realized this is sort of the story of German-Americans in capsule form.

Philadelphia German-American circa 1933: [draining beer stein] "Guten Tag!"

Philadelphia Americans circa 1941: [sweating nervously] "Henlo mein fellow Americans!"

Uhrik Truckers circa 1953: [putting on trucker hat] "Yeehaw! 'Murica!"

Anyway I don't know what Neill Collins put in the water this year, but hopefully the Rowdies can keep it up.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 2, 2021

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Crazy Ted posted:

David Bulow, who was part of the Richmond Kickers for about 15 years as a player, then a coach, then as the manager, died yesterday due to complications following a stroke. He was only 41. He had three young kids too.

Yeah, that is horribly sad. He was a good guy.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Well all winning streaks have to come to an end sometime.

TBR still top of the table, but the differences in games played is quite insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrxqGFU5TQ

:eyepop: