Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

From yesterday.

quote:

Today it was announced by the Canadian Premier League that Winnipeg, Manitoba has been selected as the single-city location for the start of the 2021 CPL season.

The Kickoff, presented by Volkswagen, will commence on Saturday, June 26 with the League’s 2021 regular season’s first two matches and scheduled to conclude on Saturday, July 24. Schedule announcement to come on June 9.

All eight (8) Canadian Premier League Clubs will play: HFX Wanderers FC, Atlético Ottawa, York United FC, Forge FC, Valour FC, FC Edmonton, Cavalry FC and Pacific FC.

The season will begin with each club playing eight matches (32 games total). All games will be played without fans in a sequestered environment at IG Field, the home of Valour FC in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

The Kickoff Weekend gets started at 2:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 26 with FC Edmonton vs Atlético Ottawa followed by Pacific FC vs HFX Wanderers FC at 5:00 P.M. ET. The doubleheader matches continue Sunday, June 27 with Forge FC vs Valour FC at 2:00 P.M. ET followed by your Cavalry FC vs York United FC at 5:00 P.M. ET.

The League is committed to delivering a full 28 regular-season match season this year.

The CPL will continue to monitor health and safety protocols in all our Club’s cities at which point the potential of clubs returning to their home markets in front of supporters will be re-evaluated. We look forward to coming back home–to all of you–and finally playing once again at ATCO Field.

Playing the first chunk of the season entirely in the only major city of the province with the worst case rate in Canada seems not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Just taking a cue from the MLS staging a mini-season/tournament in Florida last year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/RochesterRhinos/status/1404793467730108424

*looks on in confusion*

Alte Kraehe
Oct 31, 2011
So are the Rhinoceroses going to Championship, League One or what? Do I have to call Vardy on the phone to find out?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/USLChampionship/status/1405356527041589251

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

Aggro posted:

After many years of supporting Detroit City FC, I’m now officially one of the team physicians. I’ll be on the sidelines for most of the home games this year and away for the shorter road trips.

Currently watching them dominate Chattanooga on their home field and about to win the NISA Legends Cup with zero (0) goals conceded. It’s real nice to watch a Detroit team actually win something. City may win more games than the Lions this year.

Congrats!

Looking over the DCFC schedule and its nice that they keep moving up in leagues (maybe? its hard to tell) but I do miss them playing more local teams like Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids. Playing against local cities felt like playing in a more "real" league as it played up local rivalries between the cities and also made away game travel a little easier and realistic. I know MI Stars are the schedule but it just doesn't feel the same.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

dadjokes posted:

Congrats!

Looking over the DCFC schedule and its nice that they keep moving up in leagues (maybe? its hard to tell) but I do miss them playing more local teams like Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids. Playing against local cities felt like playing in a more "real" league as it played up local rivalries between the cities and also made away game travel a little easier and realistic. I know MI Stars are the schedule but it just doesn't feel the same.

I am extremely sad that we won't get to taunt Lansing about the fact that they blew a 3-0 lead anymore :(

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dadjokes posted:

they keep moving up in leagues (maybe? its hard to tell)
yeah, their new league is DIII pro, though turns out running a mostly hands off league means you get the same sort of NPSL-esque clownshows popping up (MI Stars, NJ Teamsterz, etc)

bagmonkey posted:

I am extremely sad that we won't get to taunt Lansing about the fact that they blew a 3-0 lead anymore :(

there’s always the lansing united women’s team! but i suppose the real comedy is the men’s side getting shut down while the owner joined the lansing ignite usl franchise that folded after a single season. who would’ve thought “we’re anticipating attendees to spend $100/head” with overblown attendance expectations would end poorly…

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
that's a lot of $1 beers.

Alte Kraehe
Oct 31, 2011
https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/gold-cup/2021/6/18/22540070/usa-usmnt-gold-cup-provisional-roster-released

Jonathan Gomez is the only USL player on the roster, and the third Louisville City alum to appear on the roster.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alte Kraehe posted:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/gold-cup/2021/6/18/22540070/usa-usmnt-gold-cup-provisional-roster-released

Jonathan Gomez is the only USL player on the roster, and the third Louisville City alum to appear on the roster.
Pretty sure they did that because he was invited to a Mexican NT training camp not too long ago.

Alte Kraehe
Oct 31, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Pretty sure they did that because he was invited to a Mexican NT training camp not too long ago.

Yes, and?

Alte Kraehe
Oct 31, 2011
https://youtu.be/c-qhgjq4nxs

Olimpico!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For degenerates like me, the CanPL is on Fox Soccer Plus right now.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i saw shawn claud lawson got some time as a sub for ottawa, hope he does well, he was great here in detroit.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

i looked away for a few minutes and the HFX coach got stretchered off.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I'm surprised at two things for the Forge vs Valour game.

1. Valour looks legit good.
2. The virtual stadium is so badly calibrated that it feels like the pitch is on a boat.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

CommaToes posted:

I'm surprised at two things for the Forge vs Valour game.

1. Valour looks legit good.
2. The virtual stadium is so badly calibrated that it feels like the pitch is on a boat.

I feel like it’s better than it was yesterday but ah well. Valour do look good - they also have some serious names not in yet (mainly Bouka Moutou, Reyes and Galhardo).

Also our kits are so nice.

Wippersnapper fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 27, 2021

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Escalante still owns

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Well at least it looks like the Rochester Rhinos will be back in some form? We shall see.

A little disappointed to hear that the Rochester Lancers brand will possibly be disappearing soon:

quote:

https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2021/07/01/under-a-new-brand-lancers-lady-lancers-teams-likely-to-be-absorbed-by-flower-city-union/

UNDER A NEW BRAND: Lancers, Lady Lancers teams likely to be absorbed by Flower City Union

Under the general category of "Do over Ham exercises his weird soccer club name autism", I've daydreamed about both Rochester clubs merging and combining their nicknames: the Rochester Lancers & Rhinos. Their club crest could be an armoured knight, with lance, mounted on the back of a rhino instead of a horse. These are the type of things I think about. Yes I know I'm weird.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/ngsdetroit/status/1411697883833847813?s=21

Detroit City FC has won all four NISA competitions since 2020 started and have not lost in 2021.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can we take a moment and appreciate the fact that LA Force lost to DCFC on an own goal??

https://twitter.com/beINSPORTSUSA/status/1411491644457820160

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Canadian Championship just got announced. Pretty good bracket setup, but we need to get the USL L2 clubs & a League 1 BC rep in there IMO.

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1417231826637238277

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Meanwhile in the US, this year's Open Cup has been cancelled.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
In USL/NPSL/etc news, Lansing United has finally succumbed to the wound that was blowing a 3-0 lead. Sad to see them go, mostly because they can't blow a 4-0 lead now, but glad they are being replaced by a much more community oriented team, Lansing Common FC.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
skip to 15:30

pro/rel coming by 2026

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

lol whitecaps

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

I was listening to Jason Davis on Sirius XM while driving long distance on vacation (checks wristwatch) today.

The new ownership of Rochester Rhinos are rebranding as Rochester New York FC so as to become a "global brand."

Apparently the new co-owner was tired of having to explain to his friends back in England that this Rochester place is actually located in (loudly) NEW YORK...(quietly) state...? :ninja:

So now Rochester, with over half a century of pro soccer history, has lost both of its historic brands, Rhinos and Lancers, in the same year.

Way to go MLS/USL/etc. marketing geniuses and/or foreign/non-local ownership. Just keep rebranding until you've uprooted and erased every bit of soccer history that we've managed to create in this country that is older than your marketing degree/MBA/personal fortune, etc. :argh:

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 2, 2021

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Yeesh. Dont want to get mixed up with Rochester Minnesota United.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Starlight Stadium's logo is distracting from the actual stadium.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Canadian Championship quarterfinals get going in 2 days. Forge already advanced past Valour last week, so we get a triple header. Matches look like this:

HFX Wanderers vs. CF Montréal - Halifax nearly choked against AS Blainville last round, and are the biggest longshot IMO. Winner faces Forge.

Toronto vs. York United - TFC sucks, and York has improved a bit this season, so they're my dark horse pick to advance. Winner faces Cavalry/Pacific.

Cavalry vs. Pacific - First and second place in the CPL duke it out. Pacific won the most recent matchup convincingly, but both clubs have been in a slight slump since then. Pacific has the more dynamic offence, so advantage goes to them. Winner faces TFC/York.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Spanish-language color commentator for Austin FC scored the match-tying goal against El Paso for the Bold:

https://twitter.com/USLChampionship/status/1440875541549051909

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Yesterday, I met Kieran Baskett, the backup GK for HFX Wanderers, at Pin Bar in Calgary after he put up a clean sheet with 5 saves against Cavalry. We talked about playing goalie in handball and visiting Halifax. That's my story.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Stiev Awt posted:

Yesterday, I met Kieran Baskett, the backup GK for HFX Wanderers, at Pin Bar in Calgary after he put up a clean sheet with 5 saves against Cavalry. We talked about playing goalie in handball and visiting Halifax. That's my story.

Being a handball goalie sounds like an exercise in frustration.

Meanwhile the race to see who has rights to host last year's covid cancelled final continues:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies defeat Las Vegas and clinch best USL Championship regular season record (and home field advantage in playoffs); looks like both of my teams (Rowdies and Revs) were top of their tables this year.

I'm not used to my teams doing well like this. Don't want to jinx anything. Feels nice though.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

So NISA's not been paying refs, denies they've not been paying refs (which refs have privately disputed), got the Detroit City FC front office ask that the SG remove a very tepid banner about the situation, and is denying they did that... https://www.protagonistsoccer.com/coverage-blog/theotherstory

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

So NISA's not been paying refs, denies they've not been paying refs (which refs have privately disputed), got the Detroit City FC front office ask that the SG remove a very tepid banner about the situation, and is denying they did that... https://www.protagonistsoccer.com/coverage-blog/theotherstory

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVtiTwDPryz/

Insta post for reference.

I was at the game! We broke the NISA table and won the Fall Championship outright. Wonderful feeling, as we've won every piece of hardware NISA has created. But the ref thing loving sucks and even though we loving hate the refs, they deserve to get paid. The capos in our supporter section egged on the crowds and got a few "PAY THE REFS" chants going. I'll see if I can find the time stamp in the stream, it was pretty hilarious. NGS is absolutely not happy about NISA censoring us, so expect to see some salty tifos and probably a few shirts/stickers to come of this.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Same, was there too! If NISA continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the other dirt on the league start making its way to the public. They have absolutely no leverage against anyone involved in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Queesnboro FC is now going to start USL-C play in 2023 due to what are apparently supply-chain related venue construction delays. Don't know why they don't just ground-share with a local college team for a year.