Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I play this game almost every day. It's got a learning curve, but it's better than almost all these new FPSes that are battle royales or whatever. If you used to play Tribes or Tribes 2 it's got the same feel with multi crewed vehicles, large numbers of people to fight with for base control, and adaptable load outs for your character (although the gunplay was lifted from BF:BC2 which I didn't like at first but have gotten decent at). You can also do a lot of different activities because there's no one way to play it. You can be the heavy guy gunning down everyone, a medic supporting the front line, sneaky infiltrator stabbing the enemy medics in the back, vehicle guy gunning down a bunch of gathered opponents, or whatever strikes your fancy.

In 2011 my PC could barely handle it and most of my upgrades have been for PS2. CPU is more important than GPU past a certain point as well (GTX 1080 runs 1440p just fine but the CPU can't keep 100+ FPS when the fights get big enough). The game is badly optimized but new hardware from the last five years or so can handle it decently.

If you're new you should probably join up with goons. I play lone wolf style, single person outfits. It's not for everyone and if you're new you'll have a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Could we maybe get a more focused explanation on why this is getting a new thread in TYOOL 2021. What has changed, specifically, recently, that's worth getting hype about.

Not doubting you but that part seemed a little light on the details.

At the end of last year they added a campaign story. The northeast warpgate on Esamir (the ice continent) exploded and there was mysterious stuff going on with hints about the alien technology that creates the warpgates (these are the big domed areas each faction enters a continent from). In practical terms this meant that there were missions to work through for the campaign that would get you some campaign bucks and tell a story.

Chapter 1 of the campaign was kind of bad with some stupid MMO style quests like collecting 50 fruit from a plant that was impossible to find until the fervor for harvesting them died down. They seem to have learned from the feedback that people do not like that boring "find me 50 bear asses" tedium in their shootermans game and things have improved.

Chapter 2 was a lot better, most of the campaign quests revolved around building bases or destroying bases around uncontained energy areas on Esamir. There was a little tedium but they seem to have realized that people are more interested in doing missions if they actually involve playing the game where you shoot people.

Chapter 3 is beginning on May 5th and the patch that includes a lot of the set pieces (new bases and continent redesign) it will take place on went live yesterday. It includes three new large bases on Esamir called Containment Sites which are big bases with new designs for indoor areas to fight in and new tactics are required. Not sure what the missions will be for the campaign yet but just having a new kind of base that's been designed decently to fight in seems like a good thing. I messed around in the containment sites for a couple of hours last night and despite a couple of small bugs they were pretty good.

edit: they've also spoken about future plans after this campaign finishes up. There's a new continent that's been in the works for a year or two that we may actually see before long. NSO access will be available for everyone, it's been a paid account perk only since it went in (I like NSO despite some equipment deficiencies, I'm about to aurax my third Naginata variant).

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 29, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LiberalExtinction posted:

Time for Planeside 3 then?

It kind of feels unlikely. Sony Online Entertainment got sold off to form Daybreak games a few years ago. Recently Daybreak split off the PS2 developers to Rogue Planet Games which I guess is owned by Daybreak. They've always done poorly with monetization for this game since almost everything in the cash shop is too expensive if it's not on sale. I think having everything be cheaper would probably let them sell much more quantity. The membership can be worthwhile if you play a lot but I've seen folks just opt to buy 30 day nanite or xp boosts to get what they want out of membership at a lower cost. I've honestly just done membership for years and usually get an anniversary bundle every year if it's got stuff I'd like, but I play often. I think the Halloween event in 2019 got me re-addicted to shooting planetmen.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I forgot to mention that a year or so back they added a bunch of perks for Outfits (guilds/clans/whatever). On the one hand they are annoying as a lone wolfer but they're also kind of cool since they tend to be BIG. The main ones that make a difference to the front lines on each continent are the Bastion, a huge air fortress that rains death on everything, and the second is the Coloussus, a big tank that can transform into a mode that shoots giant death beams that can badly hurt the Bastion (and pops a lot of other vehicles).

I've only got a couple of old screenshots of Bastions but they're pretty impressive in game (and they'd look better if I turned up my graphics but you know, gotta get those high framerates for infantry shooting). I've landed on enemy bastions and tried to C4 them but there's point defense turrets if someone notices you so it didn't go so well and I didn't take screenshots. Also while they're mostly meant for big outfits since they take multiple people to crew I've totally got a couple ready to spawn in my one man outfit armories because they're not that hard to unlock, it's just slower and more pointless than if you're in a big outfit. Most of my outfit resources go to ANVIL (dropping a vehicle where I am instead of having to go to a base to get one) or doing orbital strikes which are both terrible and funny.

Anyway here's a little gallery of seeing bastions in game (and one exlpoding):
https://imgur.com/a/V4FtYGd

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nightwisher posted:

Oh nice, I haven't played this in years. Sadly, looks like the oceanic population is dead and buried and the asian servers have worse latency than america (I'm in australia). Is it worth trying to play with 200ms ping?

Yeah, it gets called Clientside a lot since it has a lot of client side prediction. Basically, if your client thinks you landed shots on someone you do. You'll only be at a reactionary disadvantage because there's pretty low time to kill in the game but people will be calling you a lag wizard when you get final shots on them after they thought they ducked behind a wall or whatever. Even with a 25 ms ping I get killed behind things a lot due to this. The other thing is that they added a death screen showing your killer and because of the small delay between your death animation and showing the screen people will often call others out on shooting them through walls or whatever even though they just hopped back into cover right after the kill. There are hackers now and then in the game but they seem to be rare and almost none of them are doing that kind of basic "landing shots in what's a fair fight but sometimes seems sketchy" thing, they're mostly teleporting around or always landing headshots from a mile away with an inaccurate gun, and seem to get caught pretty quickly when mass reported.

I see a lot of asian players on Connery (the west coast server) so that may have a better ping for you, but I don't know if there's any big goon presence there. In fact I doubt there is since GOKU and their alt faction outfits on NC and TR on Emerald (east coast server) are the only actual goon organizations I know of. There is a GOON on NC Emerald but I don't think that's been goons since The Drama of 2013 or whenever that all went down.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 30, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arghy posted:

I just realized there's that ASP system haha i was wondering how the hell people were equipping the thumper and their main.

Yeah it's pretty neat. I'm a fan of shotgun secondaries for engineers as well as LMG or assault rifle mains on Engi as well. I play engi a lot. SMG secondaries for lights are good, too, as well as the aforementioned heavy weapon secondary. I've been trying out different ones as I unlock them on different characters but for infantry fighting the weapon variety is always pretty good. I almost never play medic so I just unlocked assault rifles for the engi on my VS guy at ASP 75. The worst one I've picked so far is probably smoke grenades on every class. It isn't useless but it's probably the one I use the least. It's only kind of strong with infravision implant, which I like to use, but infravision lets infiltrators get the jump on you a lot so it can be really hit or miss.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Some recent changes I didn't mention earlier are the Utility slot. It gets used for special items in the campaign, but there's also utility items you get from outfit Loyalty levels and spend your Merit on. There's tank traps (they called them Caltrops, the big X things you can drop outdoors), a deployable small umbrella shield that you can fire through from below (Hardlight Canopy), a one man flash you can just pop out anywhere and ride off on (Flash XS-1), the Ordnance Dampener which lowers explosive damage in an area, and the Cortium bomb, which is a really strong explosive that takes 20 seconds to go off but really wrecks stuff. The latter is a favorite of infiltrators for destroying player bases. It's difficult to defend against because you'll run up and try to defuse it and that's when the infiltrator shoots you.

They're unlocked in the drop-downs at the outfit merit vendor on sanctuary. There's also outfit decals for players and vehicles and cosmetic decals, armor, and vehicle accessories. It's a good idea to unlock the utility items first since they are the most useful and your outfit loyalty decays over time so if you rank up to loyalty 6 now and get everything through the cortium bomb you're set for everything except the cosmetics. The Coloussus tank also uses outfit merit to upgrade its utility, defense, logistics slot, as well as guns and attachments. After you buy everything you can with Merit there's an unlimited stock of hour long XP or nanite boosts so it's never useless. You get merit when you get loyalty for helping take or defend a base.

Codes for free stuff (I got these from https://levvvel.com/planetside-2-codes/):

quote:

Code Unlocks
PS2Escalation Platinum NS-11A variant assault rifle for all factions and Salvaged Platinum Compound Helmet (VS/NC/TR only)
PSUARMORDECAL PSU themed armor decal
PSUVEHICLEDECAL PSU themed vehicles decal
5YEARSPS2 5th anniversary special PlanetSide 2 decal for vehicles and armor
6YEARSPS2 6th anniversary special PlanetSide 2 decal for vehicles and armor as well as NSX-P Naginata LMG weapon
NSOPS2019 NSX Tengu weapon
MLGREPORT MLG themed decal for vehicles and armor and 50% boost in XP and resources for 1 hour (only works for one character so use on main)
PS2WelcomeBack Platinum NSX Tanto weapon and platinum NS helmet

There's some tips and tricks to learn for new players or even returning players. You can get really far down a rabbit hole on tips but here's a few quick ones. This isn't basic how to play stuff but things you figure out by doing or being told.
General:
To get to another continent quickly from Sanctuary or a different continent, open the map, drop down the top map name to World Map, select where you want to go on the left and hit Warp. No need to wait 10 seconds for a redeploy.

If you're hitting up an equipment terminal while reloading something slow (LMG, launcher, etc), switch to your pistol and then double tap the terminal so you won't get stuck in a reload animation after you get off the terminal.

You can use the equipment terminals (or a deployed sundy) to refresh your energy or shield and tool cooldowns, but not health. Engineers emergency repairing sunderers can use this to not have to wait for their tool to cool down or get more energy. In that situation you can also have a loadout with repair grenades and optionally the NS-66 Punisher SMG which has an underbarrel launcher that shoots repairing splashes.

After taking a elevator pad up or down you've got a couple of seconds of fall damage immunity. You can use this to hop off towers quickly or do whatever.

Infiltrator recon darts can be shot and destroyed. So can enemy engineer ammo packs (although you can reload from them so it's mostly just done by friendly engineers who want points). I think a lot of people don't know that.

One mine usually won't kill anyone (except TR mines but they're directional) so always use two if you want to get a kill from them. You can also set off other explosives with mines so you could drop a tank mine and regular mine together for the same effect in a couple of spots, but that's a lot of setup so it'd have to be for a base you're prepping expecting to be attacked and pretty situational.

Darklight flashlight is a little bit bugged right now so it has both a maximum range (expected) and a minimum range (not expected and probably broken but it has been for months). They're good to put on your pistol so you can check if you think there's an infiltrator around.

If an opponent drops an ANVIL so they can pull a vehicle you can shoot it before they use it and pick their vehicle, wasting their outfit's armory points. They don't have that much health.

ANVIL lets you put vehicles in weird spots like on top of trees on Hossin. You can camp a tree without even using a router if you drop a heavy anvil on it and spawn a sunderer. It's a little precarious but it seems to happen a lot.

Missions tips:
For all of the class specific missions, the main thing you need is to be that class when the action occurs. So if your mines go off from when you were an infiltrator earlier, but you're a heavy now, those count as heavy kills.

The AOE healing from the medic Triage passive ability works for their daily mission healing or shield points (you can sit in a vehicle and heal people around it).

If you're doing daily missions, enemy items count as "player kills" for most weapon eval missions and class missions. You can shoot enemy mines, sensors, beacons, etc.

If you get an NSX weapon eval for the Masamune launcher to kill five vehicles you can destroy base turrets since they count as vehicles. I have a lot of characters and if I get that one and the reward is A7 I'll sometimes just fly to an empty amp station or tech plant and hit the turrets with a vehicle damaging knife. Knife a turret 25 times or so, then shoot it with the launcher. If you play late it can be hard to find big fights and lots of vehicles.

NSX weapon eval for the Yumi is miserable because it's a bad gun, but it can be equipped with a grenade launcher if you really want to do it.

The Cortium Run, Surveying the land, or Message Courier missions are a fast way to get a little xp if you're busy and just logging in for a few minutes. I run through my alts every day and sometimes I've got time for some extra missions (usually I just stop for ones with A7 rewards).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LeninVS posted:

I only play alone since everyone left NC.
I cannot give up the gauss Saw. I am the saw

Well after ASP 100 play your VS guy.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wow I am mediocre but I’m getting back in the swing. Any recommendations for good Medic weapons? Close to mid range I guess since that seems to be where most engagements happen for a Medic. Using a Terminus right now but not 100% sold on it.

I don't play medic as much as the other classes, but I play a lot and I have a few days of playtime on it on all the factions. The Terminus is similar to the H-V45 in that it's pretty good for close fights since you can put on soft point ammo and the advanced laser sight. Use a 1x scope and flash suppressor (they don't affect bloom any more, just minimap visibility). I'd use whichever feels better, the H-V45 fires faster and has a little more accuracy from the hip but has slightly lower muzzle velocity and a longer reload time. CME and Corvus I don't see used very often since they're more geared towards longer range but they're not bad, just more for a particular kind of load out. The NS-11A is decent all around because you can kind of gear it either way with attachments (grip and compensator for longer range, laser and flash suppressor for closer). The Equinox and Pulsar are similar all-rounders in that you can kind of gear them either way.

Oddballs that are still good would be weapons like the Equinox burst which can be setup to really destroy heads if you want. I'd hold off on that until you aurax some other ones, the rapid clicking to spam bursts can be a little to get used to. If you want to try it there's burst modes on a lot of the other guns as well. Also, the medic can use battle rifles so the Eidolon and Obelisk are available (as well as the Yumi but it's ugh). The Obelisk has a heat ammo mechanic and is really good for playing sniper with almost every class. The Eidolon can equip a grenade launcher now, but I've found if I save a loadout with a grenade launcher on the faction battle rifles, even though it's been available for years, it will reset my weapon to the default one when I log out or change continents because it's just been bugged for a long time. Happens to me on all three factions.

I've been enjoying the weird new AR which is the Lacerta, too, although it's very situational. It's from the series of burst ARs that each faction got a little while back with a little faction trait on them. The NC got the Vanquisher which is really good, the TR got the Arbalest which is alright, and the VS got the Lacerta which is not as solid as the other two but you can put Lashing Ammunition on it. I like to hang back and use a grip and pop folks that think they're concealed enough it with since I can spot an exposed head or limb hiding behind something. I'll fire off three or four bursts and they'll take some damage and try to move and it still gets them. Again, situational thing, not really a recommendation.

In addition to familiarity, your general load out for gear will affect how well you survive things. I used to just run grenade bandoleers full of revive grenades and implants to heal everyone around me (plus carapace which replaces your shield with more health). That's great for big fights where I'm getting resses. In small fights, or if I'm trying to make sure the enemy is dead before I revive anyone so we don't just both get wasted immediately, I decided to change some load outs and re-gear a little for damage reduction with Nanoweave or an implant that reduces incoming damage or something (symbiote or whatever). Medical kits are also not just for heavies.

Oh and the VR is open all the time if you want to go over there to try out any weapons, it can be really handy to get an idea of what things handle like and how attachments change it up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yumi is the burst AR right? That thing rules, it just takes a ton of getting used to because it's very unlike every other weapon. You have to predict where people will be, but it deletes people from the game when you get it right.

Makes a good noise too.

If Mustarde is allowed to say the Nyx is good because it's good getting headshots, then I'm allowed to say the Yumi is.

Yeah that's fair, there's really no guns that are flat out bad, just some have gimmicks that are hard to get used to. In my case the firing delay is a thing to get used to (kind of like the NC Railjack). If you land headshots it will just vaporize someone. The faction burst ARs are a lot better due to the lack of delay, IMO. I just don't like the Yumi because I've spent hours some nights trying to get a 30 kill mission done with great difficulty because I'm an A7 addict. I'm looking forward to the NSX Kuwa which is a NSO weapon directive reward. It has the same spin up time but just shoots for as long as you hold it down instead of bursting. In some ways I'm sure it'll be frustrating too, but at least it'll be different, which is kind of what all the NSO directive weapons are like.

As a side note, if anyone hasn't looked in a couple of years they changed the Rocklet launcher ammo for the light assault. It used to have typoon (more damage but no flak explosion) and locklets that would lock on and were hard to be effective with. They removed the locklets and added Sabot ammo which is legitimately good. It lets you burst 3 rounds and they fly straighter with very little spread. If you haven't checked it out in a while it's worth a look because it feels more effective than any other choice for that thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LeninVS posted:

im sitting on 7000 certs and a boatload of currencies.
do the NC have any dumb OP stuff these days?

where can I read about the "meta" loadouts and whatnot

It depends what you like to play but for heavy infantry IvI the meta loadout you want is:
Adrenaline shield, Nanoweave armor, medical kit, your LMG of choice, your launcher of choice (I mostly use the decimator), Commissioner. I use the ancient psykinetic blade on my heavy loadouts for stabbing vehicles and turrets and stuff (there's two or three knives that can damage heavy stuff now) but the NSX Ameratsu knife is probably my next favorite since you can wield it and shoot it out at people. The NS Icebreaker axe which was a reward from the campaign is apparently capable of one-shotting an infiltrator in the head so it's a good choice if you have it but I'm not sure if you can get it any more.

For implants there's a bit of variety but on a heavy Assimilate 5 is good to get shield back on kills, Battle Hardened to reduce the flinch from being shot. I see people running Sidewinder, Symbiote, Regeneration, Mobility Mesh, and/or Survivalist sometimes, but they seem to have really specific ideas of what they're doing. There's some combos like Bionics (drops your hp to almost none but gives you extra shield) and Assimilate for shield regen that could be argued for but when I've tried them I find they can be really hit or miss. I personally like infravision for some loadouts because I like to pick people off who think they're hidden but like I said in a previous post it makes you more vulnerable to infils since they're totally invisible with it on. It also makes it hard to find cloaked sunderers. It's also an Exceptional implant so it's hard to get. I like it so much I've been dumping certs into implants for like three years and I've managed to get it on 6 of 9 characters. I bought the anniversary pack that included it to get my first one (four or five years ago now?) so I've got 7/9 characters covered for infravision which is honestly ridiculous luck.

If you haven't tried it, the Promise LMG is one of my favorite on NC. I usually run it with the 1x or 2x scope, Flash suppressor, laser, and Smart Feeder. It's pretty accurate and has a lot of ammo so I've managed to aurax the normal one and the AE version just bullet hosing people down, and I don't even have the godsaw yet. I like the Naginata, too. It has a gimmick where moving increases your bloom but it fires very fast and accurately, so you'd think you HAVE to stand still to use it. I've found however that a little strafing doesn't seem to cause it to bloom too badly as long as you're not trying to sprint or moving forward or back. I've auraxed it a couple of times now and I'm on the "networked" variant on my NSO guy.

If you like medic the Vanquisher is good. People hate the Charger carbine but I'm a fan of it since it does more damage up front, so it feels like you can really power people down quickly. The Razor is still a good accurate gun, the AC-X11 hits hard, and the Gauss Compact S on 3x burst mode is a favorite of mine. It feels like spamming burst weapons can really output damage over automatics in some situations, but I mostly use it on LA so I can get the drop on people and dump a bunch of rounds into them before they know where I am. GD-7F is still strong if you can get the drop on people since it spams out rounds so quickly. After using it so much with the NSO I really like the Tanto and managed to aurax both the regular and -P variants playing mostly light assault. It's got super good accuracy that blooms heavily if you fire it sustained.

For infiltrators the cyclone is still one of the best SMGs, although the NS-66 Punisher is very good as well. The Gladius is really nice, too, but I wouldn't buy it until you aurax the cyclone. For close range bolting the SAS-R with a 1x or whatever you prefer scope is still great. The Daimyo is a headshot only killing machine and can fire three rounds before reloading so it can be extremely good if you can get those headshots.

NC Maxes got un-nerfed a couple of months ago so their shotguns can delete people again (there were a couple of years where they were a joke). They all had Slug ammo removed as an option, though, so you're still relying on getting close.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 1, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I reinstalled the game mostly because of this thread. Eleven minute wait to deploy to either of the two continents aren't locked. Impossible to recommend this to friends

Yeah that's one of the things the membership price helps with. It's definitely got some freemium stuff going on with that kind of thing. If you have membership and make an NSO character they can always get in but get put on the least populated faction.

The recent popularity seems to be because some streamers have been playing it and getting their fans into platoons with them to do events. Also, it's Friday primetime on a double XP weekend since it's the end of the month, and the new stuff just dropped. So it's definitely going to be busy for a little while.

I've noticed more new players in the last couple of months, I assume due to streamers playing it. The recursion mod likes to tell you when you kill a new player who doesn't have much of the way of stats in the API. It says "welcome to planetside."

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arghy posted:

Wtf i was wondering what the hell merit and loyalty was, it kept popping up.

Yeah, they added a bunch of new currency for outfit stuff so it's confusing at first. But it's not too complicated since loyalty is just a number that ranks you up in the outfit, and merit is points you spend on the stuff from the merit vendor (or to outfit your colossus) that's your own stuff. Merit is also spent to reload the utility items but they're all 20 or less per item so it's pretty cheap. Base caps seem to give 50 to 150 depending on size of the base. Being the outfit in control of bases give the outfit the green, blue, and purple resources for the stuff in the outfit armory which is separate from merit or loyalty. The map shows what each base produces. If you're high on the scoreboard when you take a base you can earn your outfit the 5 green (or whatever that base has) resource for your outfit when it flips as well, even if your outfit doesn't end up the controlling one. I forget what the cutoff is for earning it, maybe it's 1000 score or top 20% of attackers or something. I could look it up but I'm trying to kill 30 people with a Daimyo.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arghy posted:

Bah thought merit bought other stuff but it's those stupid weird deployables that are too complicated to use half the time. Bought 3 months of membership so i can get that asp stuff, holy gently caress thumper in secondary is so goddamn amazing. How do i get more asp points--do i gotta level up to 100 every time?

Every 25 levels gets you one ASP point to spend, so the maximum is 5 (since they give you one when you turn on ASP leveling as well). The first three are pretty fast. If you don't like what you picked there's an ASP reset token in the boosts section of the store. It's not cheap but it's probably not something you'd change a lot, 5k certs or 1349 DBC with membership.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The bounty system was redone a couple of years ago. It used to be a dumb cash grab where you could pay 50 DBC to put a bounty on someone who'd killed you. Now, if you get a kill streak of 7 without dying you'll get a 3 stack of bounties and the next three people that kill you get a bounty kill. There's some xp bonuses for killing someone with a bounty and if you kill more people while bountied you get a little bonus (I think it's +25XP for being Hunted). Also the main reason to pay any attention to it is that the bounty directive reward includes a title and a NS-15 Gallows when you finish it, and there's a daily bounty hunter mission that often has 200 A7 as a reward.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

playing this at 144hz is basically cheating and I love it. Couldn't figure out how to walk up walls so hopefully someone can illuminate us

Hey folks, Wrel here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CCpQ4h5sGA

This dude is the lead designer now because he made videos about the game.

In the last few years they've done passes on some bases with critical walls to make them not climbable/sticky like in the videos so if you find one you can't climb it's probably that, but generally the large facilities and random trees are still climbable. Also if you just have to get on top of a building fast the Icarus jump jets are good.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mercury_Storm posted:

does this game still have russian mob connections

Not sure, they got bought by EG7 last year who have been buying established game developers including Piranha who makes Mechwarrior Online. The article says EG7 is Stockholm-based but that doesn't mean it's not Russians behind it, although I think the previous owners were the ones people were suspicious of.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-02-planetside-developer-daybreak-bought-for-usd300m

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The monetization has always been bad, but it also used to heavily favor sales. I remember the first few black friday/cyber monday weekends they've have discounts on store cash and it was big, like half off or something. Plus, the first Christmas season had sales where a lot of cosmetics would cost 1. They don't do that now but there's daily sales and bundles when new stuff comes out that are usually when I pick up most things, or in anniversary bundles which also give heroic boosts which last 6 months (or some are a year) with 50% bonus XP. I didn't get any of the player base Construction stuff until like 6 months ago since I disliked player bases and avoided them entirely until the campaign. I have most of the guns at this point but there's definitely a thing that they're all balanced with overall damage output in mind so there's no need to buy any particular one unless you like it. Also I hop around and do different things so despite playing for years I still have very few auraxed because I change up what I'm doing too much. I've been working on being focused more recently, but some days you just feel like player a stalker infil with a crossbow and a power knife.

Leal posted:

Can player bases still be completely obliterated by a single esf?

You can't kill a player base with a single ESF easily (the air turrets on them are brutal and the sky shield prevents a lot of that), but you can often do it as an infiltrator with a cortium bomb. If you can get into their Sunderer garage and leave the bomb in the middle of the spawn tube and essential modules it takes them all out. Also if they made a bunker you can hack the equipment terminal to resupply. I've made huge bases and left for 10 minutes and they've been totally wrecked by the time I get back.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arghy posted:

Where the hell is this merit market menu? All i could find was buying colossus poo poo.

You have to go to the Sanctuary space station, which is where you start out when you log in now. There's three spots with two vendors in each. The right one has the outfit armory on the right and merit vendor on the left (hit the arrows to expand the menu, Deployables is the bottom one).

Middle vendors are to pick up your outfit's expeditions (they turn the green resource into blue and blue into purple for outfit armory stuff), and to sign up for outfit wars. Left vendors are the implant guy and A7 guns.

I think the right one also has the campaign item vendor on the left side, which mostly has unlocks from the campaign but also some cosmetics. Most of the stuff available for the campaign currency (silver icon thing) expires at the end of the campaign except for the cold weather gear helmet which is kind of neat.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thom12255 posted:

I saw some talk of a new continent being released this year, is that true? I played a bunch last year when Bastions came out and it was fun, might go back for a bit.

It's on the horizon but there's no guarantee that it'll be this year. The original release date for chapter 3 of the campaign was January. They did keep the release dates for the first two chapters but they reworked this one with the new bases and hopefully some better missions this time, we'll find out on Wednesday.

e: the campaign redid Esamir so they've probably been working on that for most of the last year, but they hinted at the new continent a couple of years ago and it's been on the horizon ever since. I know the NSO rework is on the horizon soon so they'll give access to everyone to play NSOs. I think members will still get a benefit of being able to prefer a faction when they use their NSO but I don't know the details. I just play mine on whatever faction I end up on but I play them all normally, anyway.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 4, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Since I'm in my 40s I like to use infravision sometimes, especially on Hossin where there's so much stuff around to obscure vision. It's an exceptional implant so it's a pain in the rear end to get. It's either in the 5 year anniversary commander's bundle which is $80, randomly gotten through buying implant packs and/or using the recycler, or the implant vendor on Sanctuary will let you buy exceptional implants for 45k ISO-4. I got the one from the anniversary bundle on my NC guy like, four years ago and have been dumping certs into implant packs on all of my characters since then but still only have it on seven of the nine, and even that is very lucky. My NSO guy on Emerald might his ASP 100 before he gets it but oh well, doing that has gotten me a lot of other exceptionals even if I don't use most of them.

The Warmachine's Six-Year Anniversary bundle comes with Logistics Specialist, Disengage, and Firewall exceptionals. I didn't buy that bundle.

The Ancient's Seven-Year Anniversary bundle comes with Bionics [Perfect], Carapace [Perfect], and Counter-Intelligence [Perfect]. The Perfect versions of these implants are identical to the normal versions. It just means that it unlocks for all characters on your account, unlike the previous bundles.

If you haven't tried it before, here's a little video from a couple of nights ago. You can see how when infiltrators cloak they just completely vanish and your vision is limited to 125m so there's some real downsides when dealing with enemy vehicles, but it really makes people obvious if you have a small fight. I've noticed that the 125m vision range seems to be in a square instead of a circle so often you can see further by turning 45 degrees to what you're trying to spot which seems silly.

I'm bad and old but just to give you an idea of what playing with infravision is like, clip 1 is using the Lacerta with lasher ammo to pick off people who aren't expecting it and then getting jumped because I overstayed my time after the base flipped, and clip 2 is the Polaris with a close range loadout and playing current meta heavy (well the implants aren't meta but it's fine). There's some issue with the audio where it's got a little delay but I'm not a video professional and it's just to show the implant really. I know I'm bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i84smtPbGmg

edit: couple of other downsides to infravision. Flash grenades white out your screen for a long time, people shooting flares fucks with your vision a bit, and people with Sidewinder 5 implants don't illuminate so they're hard to see.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 4, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

So I just tried to buy some implants for the first time and

Nice! I find the best uses are open areas that aren't too open and counter sniping. It really lets you spot enemy infils at a distance easily.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, it's generally not worth worrying too much about ISO at first, at least in terms of buying implant packs to break down to recycle in hopes of getting exceptionals. First you want to buy stuff that helps you not die and will pay for itself by helping get more certs like upgrading the tools on the support classes, armor, getting grenades, etc. It kind of depends what you like to play but stuff like upgrading engineer ammo boxes and infiltrator recon darts or the sensor stick will pay for itself if you play that class. Often the top tier is a lot more expensive but you can usually skip it until everything else is at 4 out of 5 or something and you're finishing up since it doesn't make a huge difference for most of those things. Implants are one of the few things where tier 5 will sometimes add a little benefit that takes a mediocre implant to a good one, but not all of them are that way and implants are generally still a bad system that they seem to have been forced to put in so whales could spend cash on them.

Now that I've gotten infravision on a lot of my dudes I'm upgrading anything I might want to use at some point when I get ISO-4 but it's not a high priority except for a few. For example my Connery NSO only has Safe Fall 5 for my light assault and piloting builds even though there's a few that could benefit from hitting 5, I just am going to hold off until I finally get infravision and then upgrade if I can. That's a personal goal though and you definitely don't need to do what I'm doing unless you want to.

Once you've got most of the classes kitted out and the sunderer deployment shield and stealth (and/or whatever vehicles you like kitted out) then you can focus more on implants. But you definitely need to be able to participate and earn certs easily before you can burn them on implant packs. It is a dumb waste of certs (750 certs for 225 ISO-4 after breaking them down) and for the most part they're small sidegrades. The infravision one of the few where it makes a big alteration to things and if it's worth it is even questionable. They did add an infravision injector for 3500 A7 but you'd need to use a slot for it. I might try it now that my NSO guy has the four A7 guns but it's not high priority.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 4, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a reliable way to get A7? I've never seen it as a mission reward and also never seen any of those consoles that you're supposed to be able to download it from.

The Bounty Hunter mission will often give 200 A7 as a reward and the NSX Weapon Eval mission will often give 300. They don't always, though, maybe once a week or less. The little intelligence glowy dots do show up on consoles here and there but I think I find about one or two a week since I'm not really looking for tiny glowing balls on random tables and I think they give 25-50 or something. Wrel said that A7 distribution isn't in a great place since they removed it from alert rewards and wants to do a pass on it, but like a lot of things it's not new or exciting so it has to wait until they get around to it.

The A7 weapons aren't that amazing either, I just like weird stuff even if it's hard to use. The shortbow anti-material rifle isn't really better than the main AMR which made me pretty sad, it just can take 1x and 2x scopes (Archer AMR is 4x at lowest). It loses the straight-pull bolt option and flashlight option but gains a grip option as well as still having the laser. Having a grip for a single shot that you have to load between shots seems like a weird choice. It's just a slightly different AMR but very much a sidegrade. Killing MAXes with it isn't that much different (they run for their engineer buddies or kill you half the time) and the loss of the straight-pull bolt kind of sucks, although the scope options are nice. The Tranquility rifle is a Vandal that does less damage and puts a slowing debuff on people. It does turn it from a Scout rifle into a Battle rifle which lets more classes use it, so that's nice, but it does less damage. It also doesn't feel like it slows people down that much. The NS-357 IA is an underboss that shoots 2 rounds at once, but they each do 250 instead of 375 that a single shot from the regular Underboss does. It does have better hip accuracy but you better not miss because with six rounds firing two at a time only gets you three chances. The Showdown is neat but also kind of challenging. I buy this one first when I get alts to 4k now. It's like the Blackhand in damage and ammo capacity (4 rounds) but it has no scope and gives you 1x irons with 0 aimed accuracy (perfectly accurate basically, similar to the Tanto). Because you have to aim to take advantage of that it's challenging. You have to let the bloom settle for your second shot most of the time and at range most people have moved because you just hit them very hard. Close range it's better but still an odd thing.

They put some vehicle performance stuff (harasser and flash daredevil chassis that let you roll more in the air) on the A7 vendor as well as Burlap camo and Havoc missiles for ESFs. Those missiles are A2A and do a little damage but prevent the target from getting repairs for 5 seconds. Feels a little underwhelming but might be good in big air fights.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rexicon1 posted:

I love to be murdered by old men with perfect aim and Ultimate Tank Instincts

I love being run over by friendly harassers blowing past the only sunderer at 100kph honking their toilet flush horn.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

On my TR guy last night I ran into TheVanuHuntress a few times. She's up to BR63 and solely uses the power knife. Annoying to fight against but I appreciate the dedication to the gimmick.
https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5429026007682674257/killboard

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Ever run into someone using the Sidewinder implant at level 5 who are apparently hidden from infravision? If so, does that throw you off much?

Yeah, it can. It's often like one person in a fight, so if they're good then it can really suck because they'll get close before you notice them and get the drop on you. If they're bad you notice being shot and can evade and spot them. The old PS2 ADAD serpentine is silly effective while you run around a corner sometimes. Most of the time people don't put it on reactively if they see you with infravision after you've killed them but it's happened once or twice where I started to suspect they put it on in retaliation. It's funny though because you can always just change out infravision in the next respawn like they changed to sidewinder, so it's not that big of a deal.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you didn't play the earlier campaign chapters, there's a few things that will help. The first is that you have a lot of time so don't stress about getting it all done at once. This chapter ends July 1st and they usually just take a few hours to run through, the limiting factor is usually just limited resources or people to meet a specific objective. For example in chapter 2 you kept having to go observe these fissures on Esamir and build bases on them (they've become the containment sites) and also complete an Alert at one point. In fact it's frustrating because there's a lot of Esamir specific stuff and it's not always open so you get stuck (although in the previous chapters they'd reopen Esamir over and over for the first week, although I'm not seeing that tonight so far). I did both earlier chapters on all nine characters only skipping a few optional missions here and there due to boredom more than anything.

To start the campaign you open your Missions menu, pick the Campaigns tab, and Accept the first mission (it starts by talking to NPCs on Sanctuary). You do have to wait for the NPC dialog boxes to finish before going to the next NPC which is a little frustrating but doesn't happen frequently. In previous chapters you'd have to warp back to sanctuary a few times to talk to different NPCs. I'm not sure if this one has that too but I suspect they've reduced it because it was a primary complaint.

If a campaign mission objective says to go somewhere but you don't see a marker, click the box to track the objective for that mission. That will make it show up. I haven't gotten far enough to know if there's any campaign specific tools in this chapter, but for the first two having the tool on was a secondary requirement just to see the objective. No tool, no goal (lightning arrestor for the storms, sensor buoys, utility item, whatever).

I noticed on the one mission that requires you to get kills in a time period that they don't give you a timer. I think this is because either it's extremely long or just a joke and there's no actual time limit. Not sure which, but most missions have a 12 hour limit before they "fail" so it might just rely on that, but you can always re-accept campaign ones if that happens, and I'm not sure that it does.

edit: oh and I mentioned it before but the campaign vendor on Sanctuary has a few items available for Campaign Standing. The thumper ammo and condensate grenade both expire at the end of the campaign. The camos, Cold-weather Gear helmet and containment banner do not so they're probably what you should buy if you want to. You can get more campaign cash by taking some daily missions, usually focused around the mining drill thing on some continents, but those missions sometimes require you to pay certs to accept them (but you get more for completing them) so make sure you're ready to do them.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 6, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arghy posted:

Talking to loving quest NPC's in loving PLANETSIDE 2? Wrel what the wrel. It's a loving FPS gimme some menus to click through for wrelssake.

Yeah I almost quit when the first chapter came out and they wanted everyone to collect 50 plants with a particular suit slot item equipped using a knife that only respawned every few minutes in small areas near the shattered warpgate. It was an all out war for those tiny forests for the first week or two. They relented on a lot of their choices with the bad feedback it had and they made it less tedious eventually. By the end of Chapter 1 you could finish it in like 5-10 minutes since nobody needed them at that point. I'm hoping there's no dumb fetch quests like that again but they made a joke about it in chapter 2 so hopefully they got the point.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So I finished chapter 3 on one character. There's a lot less things to keep you from finishing this time, and there's more missions that can be completed on any continent. Also, there are no side missions that don't need to be done and just give you campaign points (I guess the daily mission takes that role now). I'm sure they had more busy work in there and reworked it over time to streamline it a bit.

You still need to get on Esamir for a lot of it, though, and be at containment facilities for a couple of parts. There's also some missions to visit consoles at bases around Esamir and tonight at least, some dickheads were guarding those. If it follows how that happened in the previous chapters they'll get bored pretty quickly. There's always folks being dickheads on every faction over the missions though, and it seems like for every time one faction gets blamed I see the faction doing the blaming do the same thing later on because it's just people and not a faction thing. Camping spots ends up being a waste of time though so it tends to die down.

The worst mission imo, spoilered in case you like surprises has you pull a harasser from the tech plant and drive up to the shattered warpgate which can be a challenge if everyone's doing it or you don't own the tech plant and people are guarding the bridge or the route although the frantic nature is a little bit of a thrill. I had to do it twice because someone hit me with a dalton right when I got close to the end point, welp.

edited because I finished up, only took maybe three hours or so in total. Way shorter than the previous chapters but I also had some luck killing campers and Esamir being open.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 6, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've primarily been working on getting characters done with the campaign for the last week. If Esamir is open the main stumbling blocks are who owns the tech plant and people camping the bridges and final box area. On Emerald there was a bit of camping but it hasn't been too bad until I was finishing my last turn-in for Emerald characters. Some NC had put a base north of the turn-in and were either hitting you with the flail when you land or popping in to kill you when you were doing the long sequence of events. I asked the guy who killed me if I had to destroy the base to finish up and he just said "you can try lol" so I went on NC to check out how it was built. It was minimal and I'm not one to fourth faction TK so I just took a look around. I realized the three guys had built it like 300-400 meters away and then put a router right above the turn in building. So, my next run on the character who was turning in, I shot the router which was visible and I'd just missed it before with my ESF, landed, and did the sequence. No fuss, shockingly.

Connery has a slightly different culture and so while there's been some camping I haven't seen as much base building. I got two characters done, and the main issue was harassers or ESFs chasing harassers doing the run from the tech plant. I've hit seven of nine complete and one just has to do the final new beginning turn-in. All in all chapter 3 was less big of a storyline but I appreciated the streamlined pace. I kind of hope they put off campaigns for a bit and fix/improve other aspects of the game but I'm not as down on them as I was in chapter 1.

If you want something from the campaign standing vendor but don't get enough from the campaign, finishing it adds a couple of daily missions that give 100 for each completion. Some are simple like dropping 5 repair buoys off, or deploying 6 construction objects in a contested territory. Some are more challenging like doing stuff in a containment facility, but only because they require Esamir.

edit: They've added new reporting emails for people being rude or cheating. The rude part seems like it has the potential to overstep (although I'm all for them banning really toxic assholes) and the cheating thing is probably going to be abused because I've had two hackusations just in the last week and that's the first time that's happened to me at all (both times stalker cloakers said I had ESP on when I found them with a flashlight after they'd killed me previously,;I'm starting to think stalker cloakers are planetside Karens). I barely talk in game so I don't think this will impact me at all but I guess I'll have to err to the side of caution if I ever do. Reporting bad behavior is a reasonable business decision to make the game not descend into a cesspool, but I'm concerned it could also be bad depending on how they respond to accusations, I guess.
https://www.planetside2.com/news/building-strong-community-reporting-article-2021

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 13, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah I like stacking up missions when I can. NSX Weapon evals often work with a class mission, or the new post-campaign mission to drop construction items in contested territory dovetails well with cortium runs. Sometimes you can just find a contested area and dump a bunch of modules on the ground out of your deployed ANT to finish that one up. Bounty hunting works with just about anything since you never know when you're going to run into someone with a bounty. I guess without membership you only get to take two a day but members get six so there's always plenty to do.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mercury_Storm posted:

What is that handheld mining laser I see people shooting at the purple crystals near the big mining laser for the NSX missions?

It's a campaign item used to collect those purple crystals by the mining laser (and previously in the hot craters on Esamir which spawned them, too). I'm not sure if you can get it now if you didn't pick it up in chapter 2.
https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/NE-11_PML

There was also an item in chapter 1 that let you recover the disabled vehicles scattered around Esamir. It allows people to use tanks from the other empires. Unfortunately they have a fixed load out but it's still fun to drive a magrider on NC or a vanguard or prowler on VS.
https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Neutralizer_Device

It might be possible to get the mining laser or neutralizer device from the NS vendor on Sanctuary (she's in the right vendor alcove on the left side) but I'm not sure. They're set to go away at the end of the campaign unless they decide to leave some of that stuff active.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I checked the campaign vendor on a new account and didn't see the option to get the disruptor or mining laser from chapters 2 or 1. I guess they just assumed everyone did previous chapters when adding in campaign standing missions (or maybe they don't show up unless you can get them). I don't know if they'll decide to move any of the expiring items into the game permanently at the end of the campaign but if they do I assume they'll add availability for everyone.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The citadel shield is another good resource for base capping. It deploys like an orbital strike in that you use the right click- war assets in the map to drop it. It centers where you deploy it and the airborne thing that spawns it drops in from space and makes the dome. It's the color of the faction that spawned it but it acts the same for everyone; people inside can shoot out but people outside can't shoot in. The flying structure that creates it can be destroyed with AV weapons either by getting up top to it or just getting inside and firing up at it. I'm not sure of its health but it's not that strong, I've taken them down with maybe 10 decimator shots (not sure exactly since I couldn't tell if anyone else was shooting it).

Anyway, the trick is to place it so that whatever you're defending gets a wall to fire out from, so either just behind the building with the point you want to keep or a little further out from a spawn room for defense depending on the size. It can be hard to judge the placement. For comedy it can also be deployed on a hill or outcropping so a bunch of air can hover inside there and hose down an area while being nearly invincible.

In some cases it's stronger than an orbital strike blap and it's a little harder to use, but it's also a little bit cheaper. One thing to note on the outfit armory is that you can only have 300 weight of items and the OS weighs 75 and the citadel shields weigh 50, so you need to be careful about loading up too much on stockpiled stuff. I think the ANVILs and colossus are the only other things with weights to keep track of but you probably don't need to stockpile more than one heavy anvil or colossus at a time unless you're doing ops centered around big tanks or whatever. Also you can buy anything on the outfit armory from the outfit screen, you only need to go to Sanctuary to collect expeditions (the things that turn green into blue resources or blue into purple). Collecting these can waste resources if collecting it goes over the cap for that resource so be careful.

Here's my one man NSO outfit page where you can see I bought four big tanks for no reason and can't quite fit a second OS in due to weight constraints (they changed the weight and cost of OSes last year because outfits would spam them when they could have 4 and they were cheaper to make):

Gonna have to go on a colossus rampage sometime to free up some space.

edit: I forgot that steel rain is like a mass drop podding on a base. I don't actually know how it works from the perspective of those joining in the drop, but it gives the base that's about to get hit a lot of warning and a big cloud the color of the faction that's about to do the drop.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 17, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ZypherIM posted:

Steel rain force redeploys the uh, I don't remember if its squad or platoon, then its just a normal drop pod afaik.

Another thing to note about orbital strikes is they will kill MAX suits even if they're inside. So an orbital and fast rush follow up can counter push a big max crash.

Can you still do OS from the player built bases? You used to be able to buy (with certs) the building for that, then mine cortium and use that to buy the OS thing. Bases are something I'm not incredibly familiar with, but they can let you spam a whole bunch of basic ground/air stuff spending the cortium juice instead of nanites which can be handy.

Yeah, player built bases with the orbital stike uplink and a turret AI module near to it can drop orbital strikes, but they're actually worse than the outfit armory ones. The main reason that they are worse is that they cannot be dropped on areas that are no-deploy zones, like most bases, or anywhere you couldn't deploy a sunderer. There's also the time it takes for them to charge up and expand their circle of potential drop areas, and that you have to get the target designator from the OS uplink, then go to within sight of where you want it, and then fire it where you want the thing to strike. The main upside is they're "free" compared to the outfit ones, not counting the time it takes to build your base and wait for the circle to expand. Not being able to strike a base means you rarely see them anymore, though.

For as janky as base building is, it seems like they really decided to make a lot of the upsides of it obsolete by new mecahnics quickly like outfit armory orbital strikes and infiltrators with cortium bombs.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Part of this is untrue now, you can absolutely drop base OS in no deploy zones, you just can't build the base in one. You also don't need an AI module near it. The other thing to note about the designator is that it isn't just LOS, you need to be within a certain range of where the dart lands for it to actually go off.

Hmm I guess I need to play with it again, I may have been conflating it with the flail or glaives. I've only been base building for a few months and don't make big ones very much anymore.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Today's update (which may have some stuff not be active until tomorrow) changed the Citadel shield so that projectiles can't pass through it in either direction. Kind of changes up how it could be used as a defensive wall so now it's more like a big bubble shield that will be harder to use. Also you can drive on the inside? (I'm assuming they'll change this at some point?) I saw this video with harassers looping around inside of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOs-qhXcaYY

They also added the Scorpion launcher which you hold down to charge up the distance at which the projectile will stop and turn into bomblets. Apparently it's doing 2100 with all six bomblets combined but it's a challenge to get them all in one place.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/may-19-2021-planetside-legacy-event-pc-update.256685/

I think the Punisher SE variant is the only new item besides the Scorpion, the rest have been available before.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Scorpion launcher is hard to use. Definitely trial it before you buy it unless you're like me and it's the only thing you don't have (besides variants).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The lack of duplicate protection on the exceptional implants kills me. I'm still trying for Infravision on my NSO on Emerald and I got minor cloak again a few days ago. It gives you 500 ISO to recycle a duplicate exceptional but wow it sucks getting one you already have. I get that it was implemented as a money sink, though, and I still dump those certs into it since there's not much else to get.

This weekend should be double xp for members (it's usually the last weekend of the month). If you save your mission completions, apparently turning them in with active multipliers gets you more xp for them. You can apparently even pop a nanite boost which will for some reason give you a cert boost to get more certs for the turn-ins that give certs directly (not sure why but it was mentioned where I saw this). I've never saved mission completions but someone on reddit did a video turning in 180 missions during the double xp last weekend with boosts active for big numbers.

It's been fun since the new thread went up seeing random goons around more often (and being killed by them).