Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Kirios posted:

Kinda sucks that the Yankees paid DJ like an upper tier player only for him to turn into a pumpkin right after the ink dried.

Nah that's actually pretty funny

That Anthony Rendon contract however..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

remember when we were going to get pitching but we got a 3B instead

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Because I am old (and baseball has a long history) I remember when Evan Longoria signed his (first) extension with the Rays. He genuinely loved the town, the team and his teammates, and wanted to stay in Tampa and have the team build around him. He signed (after a breakout MVP-caliber season) an extremely team-friendly 6/36 deal and the MLBPA threw an absolute shitfit. He was begged not to sign, threatened behind the scenes I'm sure, because he was a year away from becoming a free agent and possibly making twice that - which would have affected every 3B's salary down the line not just because "that's the going rate for a 3B now" but also in Arbitration hearings when the sides submit their numbers. He was literally devaluing other guys' ability to secure the bag and the Rays shipped him out for spare parts a few years later anyway lol.

Just noticed this, and it's a bit off.

Longoria's original contract was a big deal because he signed it 6 games into his career. 6 years, $17.5M with three option years that would take it to 9/$44M or so. He ended up signing his current extension before that contract ended, but he absolutely left money on the table considering how the start of his career went. The players union was surely pissed off, as they have been about Ozzie Albies. I know the M's have a similar type of deal right now with Evan White and the jury is way the Hell out on that one. They pitched one to Kelenic as well and he said Hell no.

The opposite side of the issue of course is Jon Singleton. Players union were upset with him as well, but I'm sure he's somewhere right now high as Hell not giving one poo poo what Bud Norris thinks about it.

All moot when considering Trout. He was 2 years from free agency when he signed his deal, but it was already the largest contract in baseball at the time, and at that level - I'm not sure leaving any money on the table is that big a deal vs. injury risk or becoming a free agent a year before a likley ugly rear end CBA negotiation. Longoria probably would have made considerably more percentage wise in arbitration vs what he got. Mike Trout got gently caress off insane money vs that same money plus what? another 20-30M? He's not losing sleep at all.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there like, a book of anecdotes for the Negro Leagues? I know the fantastic Josh Gibson one where he hit a homer on Tuesday they lost track of and then the next day someone caught a ball while he was still at the plate and he was declared out

I second the recommendation for Only The Ball Was White. Incredible book. It talks a lot about the barnstorming days and the ways a team would travel from town to town to play exhibition games. Satchel Paige had a teammate who would meet with locals before the game to ask about racial tension, and whether it would be alright to obliterate the local white team while clowning around or if they should avoid humiliating them. They had an outfielder who would cut two eyeholes in a newspaper and pretend to read it while he was playing.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Tony Phillips posted:

Way cheaper than a normal 83 Topps Sandberg.

I found a recent one with Trea Turner stealing a base but it's at home and I forgot whose card it is. I suppose it really could be any random middle infielder of the past few years, haha.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/jonweisman/status/1399790650422222850

rip DOCTOR MIKE MARSHALL

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Chamale posted:

I second the recommendation for Only The Ball Was White. Incredible book. It talks a lot about the barnstorming days and the ways a team would travel from town to town to play exhibition games. Satchel Paige had a teammate who would meet with locals before the game to ask about racial tension, and whether it would be alright to obliterate the local white team while clowning around or if they should avoid humiliating them. They had an outfielder who would cut two eyeholes in a newspaper and pretend to read it while he was playing.

Don’t Look Back, a biography about Satchel Paige, is a great read as well. While the book is obviously centered around one player, it also gives some great insight into barnstorming, winter ball, the Negro Leagues themselves, and how players dealt with the racism of the time.

Satch, Dizzy, and Rapid Robert is another great one dealing with the interracial barnstorming games of the 30s and 40s.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

season over, Bob has spoken

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1399785973525876739

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I like the part where the Dodgers are in 3rd place.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

From the "modern baseball means these records are untouchable file":

Mike Marshall as a reliever in 1974
106 appearances.
208 innings pitched
83 games finished*

*He finished 84 in 1979.

(Billy Koch had an insane number of finished games in 2002 but still fell short.)

Edit - Insane stuff. 9/7/73 - Marshall pitched in both games of a double header. Final 3 innings of the first game, and 8 1/3 in the 2nd.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

I like the part where the Dodgers are in 3rd place.

yeah that's the one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969486