Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Can Andujar even still hit? Last time he was playing he never saw a pitch he wouldn't swing at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Yankees gonna get their rear end completely kicked by a mediocre Tampa team again this week?

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Send em to Vegas and play in the Raiders park again lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I know most teams don't typically need new stadiums, but the As absolutely do. The O.Co is a literal poo poo hole

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

On the other hand, jomboy always sucks

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

humpthewind posted:

Why does Jomboy suck now? I enjoy his content.

He always sucked, he's not funny and tries too hard

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rich Hill is a 41 year old junk baller, he definitely shouldn't be shutting them down like he did yesterday

They can't hit right now, I know it's hot form to disagree with mcmagic but he's right about the offense being rear end

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yeah his delivery required a ton of flexibility and athleticism to repeat it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The two way player rule is stupid

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

good

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Insurance

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

What is everyones sudden obsession with how long games or media are now? In the last couple years so many people have started complaining (x) game time is too long, movies are too long now, oh my god a hockey game went into double overtime in the playoffs UNACCEPTABLE

Why does it matter how long it is, just enjoy what you are watching. I don't watch sports, or movies, to look at my watch the whole time going ugh this should only be two hours this is absurd it's too long i am outraged and so on

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I don't care much about the "aesthetically pleasing" things "missing" from baseball. I want my team to win, and if smashing a bunch of dingers and walking a lot is the way to do it then do it.

I'd argue that the real problem is people have this BACK IN MY DAY view on the game and because it's changed they say no baseball is broken, not the game has changed and I should adapt. It's like the football weirdos who idolize football from the 70s when they ran into the centers rear end 40 times a game for 3 YPC. As a fan of a team who trotted out the corpse of Cam Newton last year and tried to do that because he sucks and can't throw anymore, that poo poo doesn't work in the NFL anymore and it was really obvious.

People bring up Ted Williams, he wasn't facing the caliber of pitchers that exist now. It's like when Adam Ottavino said he'd strike out Babe Ruth, Ruth would have poo poo his pants seeing a slider like that. Hitting has always been hard because even the best guys fail 7 of 10 times, but now it's even harder because the average pitcher isn't a junk baller anymore. For every guy like Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens that was around when Tony Gwynn played, there were a bunch of stiffs who wouldn't even be on a roster today

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Double posting here, but remember when smart teams first figured out walks and OBP were really good. Well you had a bunch of old fogies like Joe Morgan (who ironically walked a ton and had a high OBP himself) who were like this is stupid, back in my day we swung the bat, you don't go up there trying to walk, you go up to HIT

It's the same poo poo now, except back in my day we didn't strike out we popped singles over the defenders head (off a guy throwing 89 who went back to the dugout and smoked cigarettes between innings)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The game has objectively changed as a result of improvements in technology and training, and it's ok for the community in and around it to have asethetic preferences on how the game is played. We should tweak rules to maintain those preferences when appropriate, as has been done for over 120 years now

"Back in the day" even when outs were roughly as common as in recent years, the nature of those outs was different; many more of them were outs on balls in play, rather than strikeouts. Fielding outs are aesthetically preferable for the game overall because it means more action and more defensive display.

Of course the TTO % is higher now than it used to be. Pitchers 30 years ago weren't actively trying to strike everyone out, because pitching to contact wasn't really discouraged and also they were expected to go more than 5 innings a start.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Intruder posted:

no sir you're not going to convince anyone that people complain about overtime playoff hockey

Some radio people and callers were complaining about double OT making the Bruins/Caps game too long

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

This is a trend that goes back much further than 30 years. Look at 1920-1965 on that chart. In response to rising strikeouts and pitcher dominance at that time, the league expanded (which tends to dilute pitching more than hitting for whatever reason), lowered the mound, added the DH, and shrunk the zone.

I just picked a random number, I wasn't specifically referring to just then. My point still stands though, older generations of pitchers were pitching to more contact and because relief usage wasn't what it is now weren't going all out every pitch because they were expected to pitch much deeper into the game. Now teams don't care anymore

That being said again I'm not sure this is a problem like other people do and I don't want Manfred of all people mucking with things because he has no idea what he is doing. I could see lowering the mound maybe but stuff like banning the shift and shrinking the strike zone again I don't want them to do. Putting a limit on the number of pitchers teams can carry was stupid and I'd like to see that go away

I get that this style of baseball isn't for everyone, but people have been complaining baseball isn't how it used to be for forever now. When teams stopped stealing bases and bunting people complained about the lack of small ball and fundamentals. When emphasis was put on OBP instead of batting average people complained that walks were dumb and you go up there to swing the bat. When closers and more relief pitchers in general were started to be employed people complained about constant pitching changes and how guys used to go out there and throw 12 innings if they had to, or no one used matchups they just pitched and got guys out like men. Any innovation or forward thinking in baseball has always been met with BACK IN MY DAY or loving nerds ruining sports.

I think baseball has much bigger issues than the lack of balls in play, and it's mostly off the field stuff with the CBA that's about to be renewed. There are a lot of issues that need to be resolved and Manfred is gonna try and screw the players so bad, and I don't know if the PA is up for the task. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that there is a strike or stoppage

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

more falafel please posted:

The NFL changed where kickoffs are kicked from just because there was one guy who was really good at returning kickoffs. You can just tweak the dimensions/extents whenever you want.

Also lol at people saying that 60' 6" is sacrosanct in a sport that has inconsistent field dimensions.
They changed it because of player safety/concussions

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

This is correct but it's also true at any previous point in baseball history. It isn't a new development. Pitchers in the 20's threw harder and fewer innnings than those in the 19th century. Pitchers in the 50's threw harder and fewer innings than those in the 20's, etc.

In 1884 Old Hoss Radbourn threw 678.2 innnings and won 60 games. Cy Young maxed out at 453 IP and 36 wins in a season in 1892, and that didn't even lead the league that year. By 1903 he led the league with a mere 341 IP. In 1961 the league IP leader threw 283 IP. In 1996 it was 262.2 IP.

The trend towards more effort and shorter/less frequent outings is more than a century old. I don't think there's some stylistic or cultural way to reverse that.

Why are you ok with lowering the mound but not shrinking the zone? Both are changes MLB has implemented in the past.

Shrinking the zone won't solve a pitch hitability problem, it will just lead to more dingers or more walks

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Again I point to the last time MLB shrunk the zone, in 1969. I don't even have to point out the specific year on this plot, you can see it in the data. Look at Inspector's plot at the top of this page to see the impact on walks: far more temporary than the impact on strikeouts.

After lowering the mound and shrinking the zone, balls in play rose for a decade, and took almost 2 decades to fall back to their previous low.

They did both at the same time, so there is no way to make a definitive statement on which mattered more. That being said, the way things are right now with high velocities and spin rates I feel fairly certain in saying that lowering the mound a little will do more to curb the unhittable nature of pitches vs taking away some millimeters on the zone. I don't think right now without robo umps there is a way to effectively and consistently change the zone to make a difference the way lowering the mound will

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

this is not a rhetorical question, i am genuinely curious if anyone in here actually likes the ghostrunner?

It's really stupid

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Zombies are slow and mindless. Can we settle on a Wight?

No cause the wight walkers are garbage

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yankees game got PPD anyway

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Look at the roster:

Gardner: love him, but hes 38 and he is not an every day player anymore. Unfortunately no one else can play center field other than him, and he's not hitting right now, and may just be done other than defensive replacement.
Odor: Sucks and Blows
Urshela: largely fine
Judge: Good, but scary injury history
Stanton: good when not hurt, always hurt
Sanchez: Sucks and Blows, continually getting worse and sucks behind the plate too
Frazier: uhh, who knows but isn't hitting for poo poo either
DJ: not hitting this year, but should rebound?
Voit: Dead
Mike Ford: Sucks and Blows
Higashioka: doesn't really hit, will run into some dongs. At least can play defense
Gleyber: running real hot and cold, power has kinda vanished

Taillon: inconsistent, no clue how much he can pitch
Cole: godly
Montgomery: Mostly been good, but a little inconsistent. still don't know how many innings he can give
Kluber: Dead
German: good for 5 or 6 innings 2-4 runs. Still a piece of poo poo
Severino: OOS until July at the earliest

At minimum they need: 1B, LF, CF.

OR

Move DJ to 1B, Gleyber to 2B, find a SS and then still CF and LF. Ideally someone else to platoon with Higgy and fire Sanchez into the sun

Oh and the guys to replace the injured pitchers are hurt.
Clark Schmidt is hurt, Severino still recovering, so that just leaves Deivi Garcia and Michael King who isn't stretched out as a starter right now

Oh and because the Yankees are being cheap and baseball is dumb and has a luxury tax that encourages teams to be cheap, they don't want to spend any money to take on guys who can actually improve the team. Instead they will take on poo poo like Odor because he is free, and free trumps skill

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

DJ isn't bad and isn't the problem, it's everyone else around him. That being said I do think it's time for Cashman to uh, "get promoted" out of the GM job

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Fangraphs still projects the Yankees to win the most games in the AL, but that projection is only 93 wins which is an unbearably mediocre total for Yankees fans

I'd be surprised if that was the case with the roster as is because:

1) They have a real hard time with the Jays and Rays so far this year (and the Rays dating back to last year)
2) Haven't played the Red Sox at all yet
3) Kluber is now dead, and who knows when (if?) he comes back what he will pitch like
4) Several black holes in the every day lineup

It's not that unreasonable to be frustrated with the inept offense and be skeptical they can keep winning this way

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The best managers don't really add anything ON the field, their addition just comes from not making subtractions if that makes sense

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

humpthewind posted:

I think the Yankees are the worst good team in baseball right now.

They suck

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Johnny Bravo posted:

The Angels spend nearly as much as the Yankees and are nearly as bad as the Orioles

The world is a gently caress alright

The Angels just continually ignore one side of the team and spend all their money on old hitters

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The last time the Yankees sold off players at the trade deadline the team actually played better afterwards. I also just think that the team is very poorly built and they need to change the front office and blow up the roster and I've been saying that since before the season started.

They are pretty close to the MLB equivalent of the Celtics right now, except they can attract stars on their own because being in NY is actually a draw instead of Boston

Ainge and Cashman won't move on from their players because they believe in them (because they are overly loyal to a fault to "their guys"), overvalue their own prospects, and try to hose everyone in a trade so they never get worthwhile deals done anymore

edit: Bring in the universal DH
https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/pitchers-hitting-causing-rise-in-strikeouts.html

posted:

Pitchers hitting in 2021 have posted this cover-your-eyes collective line: .101/.137/.132, a .269 OPS. If you’re wondering if that is the worst pitcher hitting line ever, it is, by quite a bit. They have come to the plate 1,370 times. They have collected all of 122 hits.

Furthermore, they’ve struck out, as a group, 47.1% of the time, which, yes, is also the worst of all time. That’s another way of saying that they've whiffed 645 times in 1,370 plate appearances. (The biggest whiffer: Pittsburgh's Tyler Anderson, who has struck out 14 of his 18 times to the plate.)

That massive influx of whiffs -- nearly half the time a pitcher comes up, he will hit nothing but air, if he bothers to try to hit at all -- is responsible for almost all of the increase from 2020 to 2021, because both leagues used the designated hitter in the pandemic-affected 2020 season. That is, in 2018, pitchers batting were whiffing 42.2% of the time. In 2019, it was 43.5%. And this year, back up to 47.1%. At this rate, if pitchers are still hitting in 2040, they will strike out more than 100% of the time they bat. We joke ... but only a little.

So it's not position players who are driving the 2020-21 increase. Furthermore, position-player strikeouts have dropped slightly from April to May.

April: 23.8%
May: 23.1%

Plus, the swinging strike rate of 11.4% is equal to last year’s, making it the first time since 2010 that we haven’t seen an increase.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Casnorf posted:

the yankees are the one team that is capable of cut-and-run dont be a nerdlinger about roster flexibility

Not right now because they are being cheap and won't go into the luxury tax

mcmagic posted:

I think the market on old baseball cards is similar to the market on old magic cards that have been going nuts over the last year. People have disposable income...
There is nothing that they are doing well right now. They can sign players like Cole that everyone knows is great but they can't develop anything other than RPs and their young players aren't developed correctly after they get to the majors. They also made a horrible trade for Stanton which is basically destroying their roster flexibility.

Hilarious that essentially getting him for almost nothing has turned into still a bad move but here we are. Even with the subsidy from the Marlins it doesn't change the fact that he's largely a one dimensional hitter who also can't stay on the field. When he is hot he is absurd, but he also goes through cold spells (like right now) where he can't hit a beach ball. And every time he does get hot and start hitting the poo poo out of the ball it is followed up by him immediately going on the IL

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 1, 2021