Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Today is May Day and Dustin May is also pitching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Today is May Day and Dustin May is also pitching
Aaaaand he left the game after throwing a 94mph fastball and wincing badly. :rip:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers are a fuckin' mess right now, ugly baseball

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

turns out the Dodger offense was simply saving all their runs for today

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He'll have a nice long recovery time during the lockout next year

Niwrad posted:

That sucks. Is Gonsolin going to replace him?
Gonsolin is also currently on the IL, along with Price, Knebel, Kelly, Graterol, Kahnle, and Ferguson. Though they say they expect Tony G back mid-May so maybe with the off days they can get by until then.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 3, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I remember the days when I'd watch an injury-hobbled Matt Kemp or old Andre Ethier flailing around in CF and wished Donnie would just start Joc there all the time

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I'm definitely going to have to invest in the next thing Elon tries to pump the value of
Dodgecoin spiked up when it was announced Elon will host SNL because people think he’ll pump it on tv

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs and dodgers just played an insane, epic 9-inning game that was considered "extras" because it was the second game of a double-header. Probably the best ad for the new formats, it was insane and intense for 3 full innings with a bunch of last-second homers and gutsy pitching performances. I'm still not sold.
The zombie runner didn’t even matter. In every inning where the zombie scored, he scored for both teams.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the Dodgers have lost 12 of their last 16 yet still lead MLB in run differential

and thats two bullshit probs in a row for Spoeank

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Thank you all for your support in this trying time
defending the honor of my sworn SAS posting enemy is difficult, but good shitposts are the backbone of this forum

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

a dropped third strike isn't counted as an error though, so maybe it should be?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

The Dodgers can't lose all these tight one-run games, can they?

they absolutely can
I think I read they’ve lost 5 in extras of their last 11 games

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

shoulda pitched better imo
the irony, as Sam Miller pointed out in his rant, is that the dropped third strike occurs on a pitch so good that it fools the batter into swinging at a ball well outside the strikezone

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ProductiveOuts/status/1390367972967948288

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

Is it generally accepted that Pujols is older than his stated age or was that just internet board poo poo?
there is a fairly convincing write up at BP citing this interview with Pujols where he talked about guys he grew up playing with and their relative ages and seemed to slip up

the money quote is

quote:

"I actually hit it off Octavio Dotel, I think I told you that. I was about about 12, 13, almost 13 years old," Pujols said, describing his first-ever home run. "And we go back, you know, 28 years later, and here I am."
which would put him at 3 years older than his official age. That is a pretty formative age and memory (his first ever home run!) so it would be odd for him to have done that at age 9 or 10 and mistakenly recall it at 12-13. He also says in that interview that Dotel is 3-4 years older than him, and Dotel is currently 47.

quote:

“Well, Dotel, I believe he’s like three or four years older than me.” Pujols said. “He was in the league above me, and it was actually like an intrasquad game.”
If his reported age is correct, Dotel is 6 years older than him and it would be even more unlikely at age 9-10 Pujols was facing an age 15-16 Dotel.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 6, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Chamale posted:

Dotel admitted to lying about his age, and if Pujols didn't know that, his story checks out with his real age. Also, Pujols got his American citizenship after the US started seriously verifying birth certificates from Latin America. Lastly, Pujols peaked at age 29, and 230-pound sluggers have their average peak at age 28.
Dotel lied about his age by 2 years (not 3, as the Pujols implication is, which means the timeline doesn't match up if you go by both their "younger" ages), and it was corrected a solid decade before that 2018 Pujols interview. In 2012 Dotel was publicly encouraging other major leaguers to come forward and be honest about their ages.

But Dotel himself has said he told scouts he was 17 when he was actually 19. He wasn't going around at 17 telling the other kids on the youth teams he was 15, which is what'd be required for their stories to line up. as you say.

I can not tell if your post is serious because that last line is such an incredible oversimplification, maybe you're mocking the idea of aging curves?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 6, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Chamale posted:

I've seen lots of people talk about Pujols's rapid decline as evidence that he lied about his age, but he compares favourably with other hitters his size. The fact that he became a U.S. citizen in 2007 with no questions raised about his birth certificate is the main factor that convinces me, though.
the substantive evidence for his age being not what's official is his own statements

everything else is circumstantial at best

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it hurts to walk or even put on shoes but also I need to play every day

athletes are insane

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Booing Greinke is dumb as hell but it appears at least some fans are paying attention to who they boo. My dad went to a Dunedin Jays game recently against Atlanta and he said the Braves fans there mercilessly heckled Springer the whole game.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

Simple solution: none of the players on that team are HoF eligible.

Doesn’t affect most of them, really sticks it to a few.
The simple solution was to vacate the title (not award it to anyone else) but that’s not happening, and the HoF is certainly not gonna ban any of those players if the league isn’t willing to.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I'm not saying an apology solves everything, but if the players had shown even a reasonable amount of remorse or humility over the situation I'd honestly probably be over it right now. What pissed me off, and what continues to piss me off, is their victim complex and insistence that they actually did nothing wrong, and we're all just a bunch of snowflakes for getting angry.
This 100%. Their continued victim complex bullshit is why I’m gonna go out of my way to attend a midweek Astros-Padres game and boo the poo poo out of those key guys in August.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

Vacating wins and titles is the dumbest thing in the world. What's done is done, you can't revise history.
The point of vacating a title isn’t to MIB-mind-wipe the world. It’s to prevent the Astros franchise from making money off the championship in perpetuity.

There’s no putting the genie back in the bottle, you can’t remove those memories from everyone involved. But you can prevent the Astros from hanging 2017 World Series Champions banners in their stadium, selling merch, having 2017 Championship Reunion events in 2037, etc. That owner will make more off the championship in the coming years than he paid in fines to the league for the cheating scandal in the first place.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 7, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

How much revenue does a franchise typically make off of a championship after the first year?
I don’t know but I’d be willing to bet that from 2020 onward it’s more than $5M, particularly for a franchise with just the one championship

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

MLB has its head so far up its rear end about history and legacy that it's still trying to MIB-style mind-wipe the world and pretend the cancellation of the 1994 World Series never happened, though. They were never going to strip the Astros of their championship.
Of course they were never going to do it because the league is run by and for owners. The point is it would have been appropriate and had some impact, both financially on the franchise and on opposing fan reaction.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

I think people need to be able to have confidence that once a game is over, the result is set in stone and not open to litigation at any point in the future. I think that a precedent suggesting otherwise would undermine the game far more than any concerns about cheating.
Again you are missing the point. Those games happened. The players involved felt the elation and satisfaction of victory. Their fans enjoyed the euphoria of a title. No one is suggesting we can or should try to change that.

What we are saying is now that we know they cheated, they should not be allowed to continue to profit from and celebrate that title in any official capacity going forward. No more banner in the stadium, no more trophy on display for fans to come and take selfies with, no more 2017 Champs merchandise for sale.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

Well it’s not to say that there can’t be punishments for individuals and organizations, just that saying “that thing that happened didn’t happen or didn’t count” isn’t a good punishment.
Stripping the title IS punishment. It’s preventing continued profit and celebration of an ill-gotten achievement. And it is clearly a better punishment than the pathetic fine the league did hand down.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

This sounds a lot more like a salve for the aggrieved fans and players of the other 29 teams than a meaningful financial punishment for the Astros or future disincentive for anyone else to cheat.
You know how we know stripping the title would be a financial punishment for the franchise? Because the league didn’t do it.

And yeah it would be a significant salve to the other fans, which is a good thing. Instead we now have a situation where 29 other fanbases are furious with the Astros and the league, with little recourse. There is no closure, people won’t “just get over it” like the Astros and MLB clearly want.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You can’t erase the pain Clayton Kershaw felt after Game 5 nor the anger and sadness I felt on his behalf, but you can throw us a fuckin bone by stripping the title instead of fining a billionaire 0.35% of his net worth and telling me justice has been served.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The NCAA routinely vacates wins and titles and everyone agrees that's a nothing punishment
Perhaps the frequency with which the NCAA does this is part of why no one cares. MLB has never done it so I’m confident it would have been received as more significant. But I also think the reason behind NCAA punishment is why people don’t care: typically these are recruiting violations which basically no fans give a poo poo about.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 7, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers are the worst good team in the history of baseball

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

There was a pretty concrete plan to relocate the A's to San Jose, but that is official Giants territory and they refused to sceede it.
It is in fact only “official Giants territory” conditionally under the agreement the A’s signed in the 90’s to allow the Giants to move to San Jose in order to get out of Candlestick. It is absurd that the Giants objection to the A’s moving to SJ was upheld by anyone.

There is no other two-team market in MLB where the metro is split and one team is given “ownership” over a certain part of the market.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Imasalmon posted:

Under what conditions can the A's claim that territory back or dissolve the agreement?
I’ve got no idea, if you go back an read stuff from that time it sure sounds like the whole thing was just the A’s agreeing the Giants can move to San Jose (to give them leverage when trying to extract stadium funding from SF)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Don’t look now but the Dodgers have won TWO (2) straight games against a mediocre team

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is..... not the game I’d expect to see fights breaking out in the stands

https://twitter.com/b1ackschefter/status/1392900576913117188?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I won’t stand for this Dick Mountain slander. If he shut down the Yankees it’s cause he was feeling it that day.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Watching people argue with mcmagic makes me miss scoobi

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Remember when Scoobi stalked and took a picture of that other poster at Yankee Stadium without her knowledge? Good times.
Hoooooooleee poo poo no I did not remember that one

Mostly I remember stuff like the scoobi quarantine gdt

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The runner is in foul territory and has a right to the base path

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Traxis posted:

Trying to remember the last washed up future HoFer the Dodgers signed. Rickey Henderson? I wonder if Pujols can match the .627 OPS 44 year old Rickey put up. I doubt it.
Jim Thome

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers have been pretty bad against lefties this year so if I squint I can see a scenario where Pujols only ever faces certain lefties and is effective in that limited role I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/fabianardaya/status/1393690430965911553?s=21

Dylan is obsessed with foot races, he once challenged Adrian Gonzalez to one and lost embarrassingly