Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Swear to God, I was sitting here telling someone about how Dustin May is right on the cusp of a big breakout, right on the verge of becoming the pitcher Dodger fans have hoped for, and we are seeing it happen right before our eyes, and then within about thirty seconds he threw that last pitch.

I loving hate the arm injuries, no matter what team the guy plays for. I read something a while back about the rehab process from TJS and it sounded horrid.

Obviously we don't know for sure that May is a TJS situation right now, but it sure had the look of a thing where the pitcher both feels and hears the ligament snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I already said this in the discord, but MLB suspended Castellanos for "inciting a bench-clearing superspreader event" and he basically did nothing. They should suspend Garrett for this, which was an event that 100% caused by him and no one else. Rizzo didn't say poo poo or do poo poo to him.

Then of course there was this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU-ESpiwV4o

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I did not know the term “Three Two Outcomes” came from a joke!

https://sabr.org/journal/article/the-growth-of-three-true-outcomes-from-usenet-joke-to-baseball-flashpoint/

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

At least they let him get homer #667 instead of releasing him while he was on #666

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It was such a hilarious bunt I hope to see Ward try it many more times this season.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think my favorite Rage Against the Bunt example is Nolan Ryan, who would at times throw at someone the next time up if they attempted to bunt on him in the last PA. I witnessed this in person on two different occasions.

I am pretty sure I read that Sandy Koufax, who was as gentlemanly as they come as a pitcher, did this exact same thing himself, at least once.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 10, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Washington Post political reporter (I think) weighs in on the current state of MLB:

https://twitter.com/bmccarthy32/status/1392641783050293248?s=21

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

mcmagic posted:

The yankees haven't scored 4 runs in a game in over a week. They are getting shut out by a 41 year old awful pitcher with a 5 ERA. This is a TERRIBLE offensive team.

I have not seen Rich Hill pitch since 2019, but back then when he was on, his breaking stuff was ungodly and could make any team look bad.

Is this no longer the case? I’m not being facetious, I also haven’t seen a single inning of Yankees ball this season and I have no idea what they’re like either.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OK. I finally looked at Hill's game logs. The Yankees may in fact be an awful team, but Hill has been decent in his last four starts, after a rocky April. He got yanked after only 44 pitches in his first May start, but he's an old guy.

Anyway, Rich Hill has not sucked in May. His last start of April wasn't too bad by today's standards, either.

I now consider this matter closed.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know most folks in here hate Trevor Bauer, and I will be roundly jeered for another Bauer post.

But here is a guy who is not in the least bit athletic, probably has no right to be in MLB, gives his team a good chance of winning more often than not, going three times through the lineup and putting up pitch counts like this in TYOOL 2021:

You cannot say the dude isn't giving it his all.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

like yeah Lincecum was actually a really good athlete, that's kind of my point - there aren't any actually unathletic guys in MLB because, you know, professional athletes

which is why lauding Bauer as succeeding despite his "lack of athletic ability" is the same sort of dumbass chud talking point as "look this one black guy owns a load of businesses, therefore racism doesn't exist" - the chuds love to talk about how if you don't succeed it's purely down to you just not working hard enough

Once again, Julio Cruz has exposed my dastardly plot to inject the chud narrative into MLB and the SA N/V thread

Curse you, Cruz!

e: unrelated, the class-master of MLB once again shows how to play with class and respect for the game:

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1394133907860299781?s=20

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 17, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

On the subject of the miserable league BA, and no-hitters and the like, wouldn't the most effective measure be for hitters to go back to hitting the way they used to, do away with this "launch angle revolution" poo poo, rather than moving the mound back or legislating shifts?

Like, I can't remember when this launch angle poo poo became so prevalent. 2017, maybe? I hate to sound like some crusty old gently caress but there is a real deficiency in the approach of hitters today, even compared to just 5-7 years ago, and especially if you compare it to 20-30 years ago. And this has to be coming from hitting coaches everywhere, from the minors on up. And also the word being preached at the MLB level, between hitters.

Didn't Trout say that he adjusted his swing path this season, to get away from the launch angle approach?

Didn't Williams write about the ideal swing path, in The Science of Hitting?

I just feel like the seeds for this were planted when the mentality changed from "Golden Sombrero is bad" to "a strikeout is better than grounding into a DP" and then things got worse when velocity increased and the shifts came into vogue. Then we got into the "I may only make good contact once per game, so I need to make those count" and so we start swinging with all our might for Launch Angle, and now here we are.

I mean if you get two strikes on you, especially with runners on, for gently caress's sake choke up a tiny bit on the bat, maybe widen your stance a bit, do whatever you can do to be a little bit quicker to the ball. It feels like now that for a big part we have a whole league full of late-80s/early 90s Rob Deers and John Shelbys.

Am I being overly simplistic here?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is no question that pitchers are more formidable and ferocious than ever before, but IMO this all or nothing approach that has been adopted by so many hitters also shares some of the blame for the state of the game today.

And it really seems like it is being taught in the minors, so the young ones who come into the show for the first time are doing exactly this.

And the ones who have been around for a while are also telling each other Bro, this is what you got to do today.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ambassador of Funk posted:

So you’re saying he’d be all about what hitters are doing right now, kind of flying in the face of MrMojok’s arguments?

Yeah, it is pretty much the same. I got his book out last night and there's a graphic in there that shows how he used a slight upswing, as opposed to the level swing that a lot of coaches taught at the time, to increase the amount of time that the swing path matched the path of the ball.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/GoPBCardinals/status/1395767191216197638?s=20

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

You may not know it from what you're hearing but the Yankees have been playing some fun baseball for awhile now.

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1395921171531632641

And then they walked off, but you don't care about that.

Heh! That’s beautiful.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

An oral history of the Low-A Palm Beach Cardinal facing Lugo, Syndergaard, then deGrom over four games:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/jacob-degrom-new-york-mets-palm-beach-cardinals-low-a-rehab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, it is bad. *Aggravated* strangulation is a crime they have (and other states have) on their books there specifically because it's a red flag, as the poster above said.

If he gets convicted or plea bargains on this, there will of course be an MLB suspension but much more importantly, he is going to do some time, guaranteed.