Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
i've said this before, but i cannot believe how bad anfernee simons is on defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

Who's worse, Him or Coby White?

i have not watched coby as much, but i can say with confidence that anfernee is the worst. he may literally be the worst defender in the league.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

jesus

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I think that's the most embarrassing clip since that Sam Dekker one.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbHPe6PdKhA

dokmo fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 4, 2021

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

upon further research, i've come to the conclusion that anfernee simons is the worst defender in the league, and likely the worst defender of any player who has played more than 500 minutes over the last decade (with the possible exception of collinn sexton and jimmer)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Apparently Jimmer played 6 games with the suns in 2019? what?

join me, won't you, on this look back at jimmer's 2019 season with the suns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2a3FwV9en4

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: at the idea of someone hiring Jason Kidd in TYOOL 2021

periodically i forget what a piece of poo poo that guy is

https://twitter.com/lil_buts/status/1389970899911118850

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

GordonComstock posted:

You didn't list what song you used, which is like 25% of why I lurk this thread. Googling the lyrics has been a nightmare, what is it?

Aaron Collins, "Little Bit Of Lovin". I'm trying not to use songs licensed by youtube to avoid their copyright claims.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

it's not just kanter, they have continually brought on other awful defensive players like carmelo and hood, and brought on "stoppers" like harkless and cov who aren't going to fix the defense in any meaningful way.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Lockback posted:

Trying to bounce the ball off the rim and into someone's hands is real hard.

Reminds me of this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quB6qp_IQuQ

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Metapod posted:

Rebounding is a fundamental skill and it's always been weird how people decided to degrade it the moment russ started getting triple doubles

if i can put on my analyst hat for a moment, what matters is not whether a player gets a rebound, but whether a team gets a rebound. on defensive rebounds, the player getting the rebound is adding only small marginal value, because if he didn't get it, there are 2 or 3 teammates in good position to get it. that is not the case on offensive rebounds, where there is likely only one offensive player in position to get the rebound, and the marginal value is high. we can adjust for all this. westbrook has always been an excellent offensive rebounder, and until the last couple of seasons, his impact on his team's offensive rebounding has been very high (over the last two seasons, his impact has been slightly better than average, which is still excellent for a guard). on the defensive end, his impact is less because the marginal value of any player's rebounds is smaller. the impact of westbrook's defensive rebounds has been slightly better than average in every season over his career, which again is decent for a guard, but not spectacular. no one i think would disagree with any of this. he is a good to great rebounder.

the degrading you mention is not of his ability, which is unquestionable, but the naked cynicism of his stat padding in areas that don't translate into wins and avoidance of things that do translate into wins, like defense and shooting.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

While I wasn't paying attention, Kelly Olynyk seems to be balling the gently caress out. I wasn't expecting that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

The mid to late 90s Jazz had incredible offensive efficiency, their main thing was the Stockton Malone PNR, right? Were other teams not running pnr all the time back then, or were they just incredibly good at it?

Jazz were known for pick and roll because nobody else did it, but if you watch those games you'll see maybe ten ball screens in one game (mostly used tactically in the 4th quarter or high leverage situations), compare to today where every team uses 50 ball screens. I think there was more DHO back in the day, but don't quote me on that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1391394061790105602

I am very bad at knowing basketball things, I completely forgot Hood ended up on the Raptors.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do you have any idea when the PNR became The play? Is it a development that comes after illegal defense and hand check rules? Was the Suns high pnr with the big setting the high screen what made it the thing, or was that just a smartification of already existing pnrs?

In my head the answer is Steve Nash + D'Antoni, so 2005-ish. It wasn't just that, I believe the move to make PNR dominant was having a super mobile screen setter like Stoudemire, Diaw, Marion.

But now I'm thinking Nash was already using ball screens in Dallas with Dirk, but I can't remember how frequently that happened. So maybe the answer is just Nash + coaches who let him do his thing.

A related development is early offense drag screens, which I think it's just D'Antoni. I think he brought that from his time in Europe,I don't remember this being a thing before the Suns started doing it. Not really a play call, just an offensive philosophy that asked for possessions to start with on-ball action rather than the more common at the time off-ball action.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The #1 thing about Steve Nash is that he never picked up his dribble. If you keep dribbling long enough you're going to use a screen whether you called for it or not. I wonder if the explosion of ball screens was simply a byproduct of Nash's restless dribble probing.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

anakha posted:

IIRC, the Nash-Dirk two-man game was mainly either pick-and-pop or Dirk moving to the post to attack a mismatch in case of a switch. He wasn't really diving much into the lane even then.

right, but from a modern perspective the difference between current pick and roll based offense and what came before is the on-ball use of a ball screen, as opposed to actions from off-ball screens.

i just watched some possessions from a DAL/SAC playoff game in 2004, and there were a lot of ball screens from both teams, both called and uncalled. granted these offenses were probably the most innovative and atypical of the day, but it seems like the rise of PNR was more gradual and widespread than i figured.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Game has changed a heck of a lot in 25 years.

drat right. i challenge anyone to try to sit through a random game from back then. it feels like every possession ends in a double teamed post up. and they were the watchable offense of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5eDZiZoIPs

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I still laugh that John Starks shot 34% from 3 for his career and was considered one of the premier 3pt shooters of his era

A long time ago I was sent to try to encourage a coach to shoot more threes. He said, but we don't have any shooters. By which he meant shooters like Ray Allen or Reggie Miller. I said coach those are elite shooters, once in a generation, we got plenty of normal shooters. He said those guys can get better shots inside. He literally did not see the value in an average shooter. This coach by the way, was a forward thinking innovator.

He eventually did end up shooting more threes, probably more because of threats from the owner and gm than anything I said.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

I remembered Horncek being an elite three point shooter- I looked him up and his percentages were even better than I remembered, but he shot less than three a game in Utah. Baffling.

It's similar to recent spurs teams where everybody has a super high accuracy because they only shoot when they are wide open.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I was once asked a long time ago to come up with a bunch of bullshit statistical milestones to include as bonuses in a contract that looked achievable but really weren't. The only one I remember was FT% / FG% > 1.7, but they were all that dumb. The player's agent was fine with these, but the league would not let us use these stats for bonuses because they don't like fun.

I can't remember what I'm responding to, but I already typed all that out.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

What's the motivation for coming up with stuff like that?

A team wants to offer bonuses to a player that they'll never have to pay out, but wants the player (or the agent) to think they have a good chance at getting the bonus.

This was a free agent.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

MourningView posted:

seems good they didn't let you do this

They do, teams are just restricted from using stats that are too weird.

On the other side, teams get pitches from agents that are full of the most hilarious cherry picked stats to make their client look good. Somewhere out there is a stats guy who has to find numbers that make Tony Wroten seem like a free agency steal.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

summer league dates still not nailed down, but looks to be mid august.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

lol

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

jordan poole becoming playable was a development i was not expecting. he had one of the worst rookie seasons i've ever seen.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I disapprove of this lame rear end corporate synergy stunt

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/msinger/status/1397059673350569989
He is about to get less calls for the rest of his career.

https://mobile.twitter.com/B_Skip1717/status/1397059689758695425

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

If James Harden is the best James Harden, and Doncic is the 2nd best James Harden, who is the 3rd best? Is it Mason Jones? There should be more James Hardens.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Phoenix paying Chris Paul 40 million for the right to lose in the first round this year and next is extremely funny to me.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Jae Crowder was pretty BACK this season.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

That was the draft with a bunch of tiny pgs considered for the 2nd round, there was waters and Edwards and also Ponds and some other guy I'm forgetting. I can't remember why these guys had hype that year but it wasn't just Boston that were into these guys.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Ban all fans, allow only disinterested observers like yours truly into arenas.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

mike zerren can't catch a break.

otoh gently caress yes a new coach gm

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Just sitting around, remembering this from one year ago today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1267945114955141126

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Jackson Polack posted:

He left OKC to join the Golden State Warriors, the best team in the league, one of the greatest teams in history and the team that just barely knocked the Thunder out of the playoffs five weeks earlier. It would have been like Jimi Hendrix, after narrowly losing a battle of the bands to the Rolling Stones, signing on as their new lead guitarist.

This makes sense as a paragraph.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

MourningView posted:

Also I would guess offensive rebound rate on free throws is worse than almost any other shot because they purposefully give the defense an advantage and put them closer to the basket and in position to box out.

I think OR% on missed FTA is around 12%, but this is hugely dependant on situation, much more than any other kind of rebounding circumstance. The majority of missed FTA are uncontested by the shooting team. A handful of players consistently make a real effort for the rebound (eg Ariza was very good at this). And a small number of teams will tactically contest the rebound when they have a personnel advantage. It's difficult to know what the expected OR% would be in each of these situations because the number of times it happens during the season is small. But yeah it has to be lower at least than a team's OR% in the halfcourt.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

One thing we can all agree on is that Mobile View is the worst thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

morestuff posted:

I think you're going to have a hard time finding highlight reels that show people bricking shots, OP

ahem.