Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

pita reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Now that I’ve got a decent grain storage setup in the cellar I’m back to just milling my own wheat as needed. Got a bread starter going again and it seems pretty healthy now, won’t be long ‘til I’m making fresh bread from scratch on the reg :yum:

Been making my own cultured butter and buttermilk for well over a year now and highly recommend it, the smell alone is amazing.

* 1 quart of heavy whipping cream divided into 3 mason jars
* 1 tbsp of kefir in each, cheese cloth secured on top
* set on counter for about 3 days or so, smelling them occasionally (if it’s gone sideways it’s pretty obvious)
* everything combined into a stand mixer bowl, making sure to get as much as the solid bits as possible
* mix on a slow speed in the mixer with a whisk attachment and a towel covering things, there will be splashing
* mix until said splashing occurs, indicating that solids have separated
* pour everything into another bowl covered in a straining bag, such that the bag holds all the solids
* strain whatever liquids out that you can, into the bowl. This is your buttermilk! Should be about a pint
* put the solids into a cold metal bowl and cover with ice cold water
* knead the solids like dough, the water should get milky
* pour out the water and replace it with some more ice cold water
* knead some more, repeating the cold water replacement until the water no longer gets milky when you knead
* voila! These solids are your fresh cultured butter batch. I wind up with about a pound I think but that’s just a guess

For the buttermilk I’ll usually do one of two things:
* a loaf of buttermilk soda bread (don’t have the recipe memorized just yet but can post it later)
* chill the buttermilk in the fridge overnight, then add a tiny bit of vanilla extract, some citrus zest, and a few tbsp of sugar to make a sweet warm weather snack

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I know those as “bench scrapers”, dunno if it’s a US English term specifically or not. Supper essential if you’re doing a high-hydration bread and the dough’s all goopy and tacky

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Cherry cordial that you can later use in a soup or a nice drink on its own

e: or in a cocktail

Fortaleza fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 3, 2021

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Is it just me or do the mini eggplants look a lot like ovaries

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Looks drat good. You use the BA recipe from Claire Saffitz? She cuts into squares instead of using a round cutter too

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Got up early and had me a big ol' breakfast with flapjacks with honey, 3-egg omlette with a bit of cheddar, some OJ, and cardamom-coconut granola :yum:

and some americano mmhmm

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Thick fillets. Those are some choice fishes mmhmm

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Just toiled for several hours to turn pounds and pounds of tomatoes into a single pint of tomato paste.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hog share gotten! Came in at 87lbs, dang.

Should have everything I need to start a bigass batch of saucisson sec

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

I got a few pounds of pork belly what should I do with it

Savory bacon, cubed so you can use it as a lardon

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My zujiroshi showed up today, on team rice cooker now.

Plays a cute little tune when done cooking of course :3:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Half hog came in at 87 lbs hanging weight, just weighed the stuff I got to take home and it's 58 lbs meat & fat, just over 9 lbs of bones.

After paying the farmer and the butcher it's come out to about $9.78/lb, which seems high but only compared to store bought factory meat really

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Not a bad price at loving all, given that you know it was raised and slaughtered humanely

Yeah. Here's the puppy dog that herded them around :3 https://www.instagram.com/p/CPgeaGxBHtT/?utm_medium=copy_link

Some miscommunication with the butcher though so now I have three cuts of leg roast instead of one big deboned ham like I originally wanted. Still going to make some speck (and maybe another kind of cured ham?? probably not) but now the curing time is 1/3rd so it changes the timeline a bit.

You don't generally use loin cuts for sausages because they're too lean but with the back fat I got (nearly 2 pounds!) I'll be able to fortify those cuts to get the proper 80%/20% minimum meat/fat ratio. That plus the 9 lbs of shoulder cuts means I can make an insane amount of sausage.

On the docket:

- saucisson sec (super easy one to start out with)
- Portuguese chouriço with sweet madeira wine
- bigass bratwursts
- maybe some spicy breakfast sausage like jimmy dean without all the goddamn salt
- savory bacon cured w/ juniper berries to use as lardons
- sweet bacon for breakfasts
- batch of rendered leaf fat lard
- probably a few gallons worth of stock with the amount of bones I got
- roasted mid-sized bones for Cassie to really enjoy in the few months she has left
- tyrolean speck for the long haul, probably won't be done until next holiday season
- remaining pork chop loin cuts to be used whenever, pan seared chops, roasts, leaner versions of various pork butt recipes I guess

e: and tons of schnitzel, can't believe I forgot one of the most important things

Fortaleza fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 27, 2021

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Putting the pork shoulder (aka butt lol) from the hog share to good use

God willing, should have a nice batch of saucisson sec in about 20 days. Bon chance, little dudes

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Started some pancetta today with one of the pork belly cuts from the hog share

Upper right is the trimmed off bits to make it more rectangular. Ground them up so Cassie can have a bit on top of her kibble :3:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

"garbanzo" is more fun to say

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

After 19 days the saucisson sec is done and hung up in the kitchen!

Couldn't get good lighting for the photo but whatever. Wound up with 9 pretty good sized links.

Having one with some cheese and it came out pretty good!

Really garlicky which is exactly what I wanted

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Few days ago I smoked a cured salmon fillet in my cold smoker for 21 hours, came out great. Got a salmon slicing knife and vacuum sealer on the way so I can do proper slices in the future and keep them fresher longer

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

fart simpson posted:

once you get this knife your salmon will be fresh as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Xw8Fg4Dwg

More like this tbh https://youtu.be/ozJ8-zRMmNU

Knife I got is longer so I can use it for large hams and bacon/pork belly too. Been using my chef’s knife and it’s not working well, been having to make thicker cuts which isn’t ideal

e:

Fortaleza fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 27, 2021

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Near future food.

Started a breakfast bacon cure, should be ready for the cold smoker in 5 or 6 days!

Recipe I went with:

pre:
cure:
  2.5% salt
  1% brown sugar
  .25% prague powder #1

spices:
  2% black pepper
  ~4/kg bay leaves
  .5% juniper berries
  .5% thyme

with a thin layer of raw wildflower honey rubbed in first
After trimming the pork belly slab came out to 1.2kg

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

what does % mean here? is it like n percent of the weight of the thing being cured or is the symbol being used in a way that i don't understand?

Percent by weight of the thing being cured. After trimming this pork belly came in at 1,200 grams so the 2.5% salt in the cure came out to 30 grams. 2-3% cures are pretty standard.

Gotta go by relative weight or you could easily wind up with something not cured enough or a salt bomb

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Current food status:

On the rear pole is a salmon fillet cured 24h with a 1.3:1 salt:sugar ratio w/ juniper berries and peppercorn

Forward pole is Portuguese style chouriço, went with garlic and bay leaf and sweet paprika for herbs, all marinated for 3 days in red wine from Lisbon

Gonna smoke the salmon for at least a day, chouriço too depending on how dry it looks tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Shame liziqui doesn’t post vids anymore, her CNY ones are great