Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I ran out of the dry mango powder I normally use to add a sour element to my dal and used lemon juice instead and it came out fantastic. :yum:

amchur powder is so great.

my current favorite dal-adjacent thing is the red lentil soup take that andong did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6p8qHs8WGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

i bought a 1lb package of active dry yeast at the beginning of the pandemic.

it has sat in my freezer since then because i don't know the conversion of this presentation of yeast to packets/stuff that comes in little brown glass jars.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

mediaphage posted:

what do you like to make? for a standard loaf of lean bread or pizza dough i will do:

yeah mostly everything is lean-dough centric in my mind.

i learned how to make bread from the cartoon illustrations in molly katzen's enchanted broccoli forest.

it's very hippy dippy, very 1982 alternative lifestyle, very just do it by feel.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

bread terrifies me. I have never once been able to successfully make anything involving flour and yeast. I just can't do it and i can't be hosed to keep trying b/c its so disappointing every time. i follow the instructions exactly and things never rise, or its burnt outside raw inside, or whatever.

this is a ways back, but i'd recommend molly katzen's enchanted broccoli forest. it has lovely illustrations of breadmaking

it's been updated from it's extremely alternative lifestyle 1981 origins with things such as salt and somewhat less dairy, but you can still hear and feel the hippy crunch in every page.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

i love my Chinese cleaver. ive never badly cut myself with a knife but I knick my fingernails sometimes and it always makes my stomach drop

only time i've ever gotten myself good with a cut in a kitchen was being insufficiently respectful of a mandolin.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

President Beep posted:

i think I’d like to pickle some eggs

try korean mayak eggs. also, as the recipe states, that's a basic marinade/stir fry sauce that goes with everything.

https://www.cookerru.com/mayak-eggs/

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Stringent posted:

i treat my mandolin like some kind of cursed mayan relic.

i have a system for hooking the blade guard and extra blades over the blade so it's shielded when not in use, and i have this whole ritual of putting on a cut glove and unwrapping it then wrapping it back up when done. i've also given up trying the get the last slices out of rump ends, i now throw those away as sacrifice to the mandolin.

despite this i fully expect it's going to get me one of these days.

yeah, i don't think i've pulled it out since then and probably won't without a cut glove.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

mystes posted:

Lol it had no salt in anything originally?

i don't have an original version of it anymore-- but vegetarian eating of that time frame was typically criminally under seasoned.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

yeah, you might need to rotate your pan halfway or three quarters through your roast time.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

if you fink i'm freekeh

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

When I get precooked lentils in the glass jars they taste amazing - when I try and cook them myself:

- they taste mediocre
- the texture is really bad, normally way too stringy

What's the secret? Is there some magic technique? I've had more success with Indian dhal recipes but the texture still tends to be less good than the stuff in jars.

not enough salt/spices/seasoning.

stringy is an odd texture, how are you cooking them?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

i will never stop plugging andong's take on red lentil soup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6p8qHs8WGA

the lemon wedge is not optional.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The sour note is so good in lentils. I normally use amchoor powder but if i'm out of it I use lemon or lime juice.

oh that's a great idea. i'm all for more uses for amchur.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I got my dad, a 67 year old Midwestern man, to try some tofu a few weeks ago and he said he actually liked it. Now he wants to put some in his smoker lol

miso marinade and a dry rub sounds like it would work out fine.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

I add some salt, advice about when to do it in the cooking process seems to be mixed (and obv when making dhals etc. I add other spices/seasoning as appropriate despite the jokes up thread) - normally I just follow the instructions on the packet when I'm having them as a side. Stuff like this has a great texture with nothing other than salt, I'm convinced they do something differently, like use a pressure cooker or something: https://www.bio.coop/lentilles-vertes-450g-rc0834-000.html

e.g. doing this with puy lentils

They ended up going from undercooked to slightly watery and overly soft (and not in the nice way like in a good dhal), maybe stringy is the wrong word. I've never managed to get the consistent, soft yet substantial texture that the ones in jars have.

thanks, I'll try adding more - the ones in pots have like 0.4g/100g so I assumed I didn't need much, but i'll try a bit more and a longer simmer.

puy lentils take a little bit longer so maybe you need a bit more water and cook time. i usually do lentils in a pressure cooker rather than on the stove.

bittman's basic braised lentil preperation is:

2 TBS olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
4 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 c stock (chicken, beef, veg) or water
1 c dried brown lentils, picked over
salt and pepper
parsley for garnish

sauté your veg in the olive oil
add bay leaf, liquids and lentils bring to a boil
cover partially, reduce heat to simmer, stir occasionally
add liquid as needed and cook until desired tenderness (25-30 minutes)
season with salt and pepper
garnish with parsley

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that one is just sugar and rice wine but its actually quite a distinct minority of uses of mirin where the quality matters a lot

hon-mirin is hard to source and expensive. i honestly don't think you get a lot of bang for your buck out of it over using sake + sugar or aji mirin.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

the nice thing about dosa batter is you can just make up a batch and after overnight fermentation (instant pot set to yogurt ~12hours with glass lid, or in the oven if you have a pilot light, or just on the counter if you live someplace warm), put it in the fridge and use it for the next 3-4 days.

if you don't have a giant flattop/tava for majestic dosa manufacture, an uttapam is the same batter just in a different presentation, so it's a little more suited for your average frying pan.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

https://i.postimg.cc/dtQwjgnV/Steel-Katori-4-2-500x.webp

one of the little flat bottomed stainless steel bowls to spread. pour the batter from the bowl onto your surface and then use the flat bottom to spread it around.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

saw a video of someone making a plov and they put several upside down heads of garlic atop it before pressure cooking it, and now i want to try.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

that's how we make it. it works! but a solid ip recipe is a bit tough to find. my wife took one and modified it through trial and error, i'll see if i can get it written down (i want it noted for future use anyway)

awesome, thanks. i'll get some heads of garlic and give it a spin next time i go to the farmer's market.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I got a few pounds of pork belly what should I do with it

red braise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4E1Y27LWQE

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

the yospos food shame thread

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

“vegan butter” buffalo sauce sounds so much better than “margarine” buffalo sauce doesn’t it?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

authenticity is a trap

just don’t be a white guy and act like you invented pho

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

the pho reference was to BA being BA in 2016

https://www.mic.com/articles/153733/bon-appetit-video-of-white-chef-explaining-how-to-eat-pho-is-peak-cuisine-columbusing/amp

you can probably still find the video if you go look

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

This is my surprised face 😐

Anyway, the 90s swing revival was a godsend for horn players too dorky to get into a ska band

if i wanted to get out of bed i could go to evangeline's on sunday and watch people dress up like it's 1937 and play their horns at diners trying to talk while having an expensive brunch

it's always out there, latent, waiting to erupt again like herpes.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

the all purpose viet dressing/condiment is fantastic

fish sauce
rice vinegar
sugar
garlic
thinly sliced chilies

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

i use better than bullion onion base and roasted garlic base in my beans and it's rad.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

they have onion base???

https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/products/onion-base/

yeah, it's pretty good. my local grocery now stocks most better than bullion products, but before that i would order from amazon.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah wtf, this is the first i'm hearing of it to. I'm going to get a jar and start using it excessively. I use better than bullion or some bullion powder I get from the store for my lentils and beans normally.

amazon has it too if you can't find it in your store. it's like eight bucks and change for a jar, but you get a lot of value out of it.

better than bullion is quality overall other than the beef, lobster, and ham bases. those are meh to yuck in my opinion.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

I did the confit pork shoulder and every fragment of meat is 100% done to perfection. helen rennies criticism of roasting and braising pork shoulder were spot on. the vast majority of the fat rendered out and all the meat was basted.

it should have been more strongly spiced/seasoned, but my pork shoulder was a two pack so once I work my way through five pounds of confit pork I can experiment with increasing the seasoning.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

do a no knead dough or let the dough come to temp and and relax for 15 minutes. if you knead it before rolling it out it's going to tighten up.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

carla, of BA test kitchen fame, has a cookbook and has been doing youtube videos of things from it.

the book is in the mail for me to enjoy and here his her riff on a tofu stir fry with green beans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5S2Zz0sDH4

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

every time i see one of those ooni ovens i want to buy one, and also live in a time where i could have friend over to enjoy pizza with.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

silicone

not until 1400C

silicone mats should not be used over 450f

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Eeyo posted:

i want to make some teriyaki stuff, so i’m looking for some real mirin. the h-mart didn’t have any (but they did have a lot of korean liquor). i found a pair of japanese groceries nearby, i’m hoping i can find some there.

never made it with the real stuff, i’m not sure what difference it will make. but we’re going to have guests so i want to try it.

they play a bunch of k-pop over the speakers at the h-mart.

i don't think that the juice is worth the squeeze looking for real mirin. sake + pinch of sugar is fine.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

okonomiyaki are an excellent way to use up any veg odds and ends you might have languishing in the crisper. also the correct number of green onions to use is all of them.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

i wish i liked star anise more.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Kirkland is fine to good, it's all I bother with.

yeah-- they carry a couple different olive oils and i've been far happier with anything i've gotten there than anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

collard update: they taste like what you cook them in. pretty good with the ham hock.

any greens seasoning that doesn't contain msg is wrong