Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

Near future food.

Started a breakfast bacon cure, should be ready for the cold smoker in 5 or 6 days!

Recipe I went with:

pre:
cure:
  2.5% salt
  1% brown sugar
  .25% prague powder #1

spices:
  2% black pepper
  ~4/kg bay leaves
  .5% juniper berries
  .5% thyme

with a thin layer of raw wildflower honey rubbed in first
After trimming the pork belly slab came out to 1.2kg

what does % mean here? is it like n percent of the weight of the thing being cured or is the symbol being used in a way that i don't understand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cool, thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

in a normal oven you can also put some parchment paper under the dough to keep it stretched out for a thinner crust

doesnt apply in a wood fire oven where the paper will turn to char instantly

yum

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ultravoices posted:

silicone mats should not be used over 450f

this is correct. we use silpats and, now that these mats are common, the no-name knockoffs. using them at 500 is gonna be a bad time. ms jones did that once. exactly once.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

id expect the seasoning to start burning off on a cast iron stone/steel. that wouldn't be great

id expect stainless not to have enough mass to not drop temperature but that might not matter as much as i'm thinking. also maybe they're just thicker than im thinking - im basically imagining a cookie sheet

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah cast iron is thick. my comment re: mass was specifically about stainless

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

post hole digger posted:

something like this https://bakingsteel.com/products/baking-steel

1/4" inch thick and about 16 lbs. /r/pizza (lol) swears by them and ive broken two pizza stones somehow. pricey tho.

ohhhh got it, thanks! maybe ill get one of those if/when our stone gives up the ghost

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i looked at that page and it really bugged me. then i found this table re: specific heat elsewhere

Material Specific Heat Capacity (J/g-°C)
Marble 1.2
Cordierite 0.9
Ceramic 0.85
Quarry Tile 0.8
Cast-Iron 0.506
Steel 0.475
Granite 0.3

i'll buy that a steel stone, if thick enough, might be Good Enough. but the page made it sound like steel was somehow better at retaining heat and it gave me strong "guy at the ren faire trying to tell you that metal mugs work better than insulated mugs" bullshit vibes. the claims homeboy's making are clearly nonsense

e: maybe it's more about the finish of the steel being smooth and therefore getting better heat transfer? that makes sense

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 26, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh that makes more sense thanks yall

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Theres no kind of cuisine I don't like but I'm just finding new stuff constantly in Chinese food idk

it's a huge country with a ton of ethnicities and climates/biomes. it's because "chinese" is way too big of a category.

tbh "american" is the same way, it's just that most good american food people say isn't "really" american (it's "no where are you really from," but for food)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Hell yeah :yum:

there's a dish I get sometimes in Seattle that's a trout butterflied open and deep fried, then they pour a ladel of curry on it

id eat that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i make popcorn in the microwave

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ms jones is gonna make a ham on sunday

im excited for ham

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

posted this in cjs but look out here comes my rice

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there's pineapple in it btw

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i keep jasmine, basmati, and sushi rice. jasmine is the go-to

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive never had dim sum

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you'd probably have better luck doing normal slow cooker poo poo than pressure cooking it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean you could but why

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

made a pile of curry after hiking in the canyon with little jones all day

it was good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i ate pizza for dinner

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i ate a big fat steak for dinner

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't understand the concept of "extra smoked salmon"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

Obviously (extra) (smoked salmon) is nonsense so it must mean (extra-smoked) salmon, i.e. salmon that has been smoked for longer than normal smoked salmon

:hmmyes:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive had shrimp that had gone off make that smell

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cook collards in pork and then add hot sauce :yum:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no no better listen to internet people trying to well actually you into doing something that you know fucks with your heartbeat for some reason

like even if you're wrong, who gives a poo poo? you not eating msg ain't hurting me. if you come over for fried rice we'll talk about it i should add it or not but otherwise 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i microwaved a potato and mashed it up with butter and salt

then i microwaved some frozen swedish meatballs

then i opened a jar of lingonberry preserves

then i put it all on a plate and ate it for lunch. it was good.

im kinda surprised how well microwaving the potato worked

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i was thinking i'd get an outdoor wok setup but it turned out that just cranking the heat and using my wok inside was good enough

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh my god really? that's definitely not common knowledge and definitely isn't posted every other page

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

idk poo poo about how proven or disproven the health effects of msg are, but it would be trivial to prove that the mention of msg carries huge risks of people posting like weirdos about it

lol fuckin word

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

too bad there's only one thread in yospos

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i would eat that big sandwich

id probably cut the silly sides off and stack it up until it was pretty thick. then i'd cut off the remaining sides and eat them. then i'd eat the sandwich part. it'd probably be, like , a 6.5 or 7 out of 10

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cut it into strips and then it's beef/pork tenders

cut the strips into chunks and now it's nuggets

put it in the blender and it's a delicious shake

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

imagine not being able to figure out how to eat a large sandwich

one time i got a meatball sandwich at the airport that was some monstrosity of size. it tasted good though. i dont remember if i went ham and just made a mess or used a knife and fork but i do remember thinking it was delicious

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drink the sandwich jonny

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i want to make a burrito but instead of a tortilla, use that giant cutlet

this is starting to get dangerously close to terrible stunt food though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yospos food thread: you could use meat glue

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah. on the upside you'll get used to it surprisingly quickly. here's to a speedy recovery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

one of life's great pleasures is grabbing a leaf of basil and a cherry tomato from your garden and eating them in one bite

i guess it'd be better with some mozzarella but this owns hard