Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
This thread is a reboot of the previous Coronavirus megathread.

Use this thread to discuss news relating to the virus, experiences, etc. etc. - please do not use this thread to go off on people. I will attempt to keep up with the thread this time post re-boot.

I will be editing in resources here shortly - feel free to post or PM me any links you think should be in the OP, particularly vaccine stuff etc.

Telehealth resources thoughtfully shared by Trixie Hardcore from the C-SPAM thread:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

COVID-19 Therapeutics Locator Here

Telehealth resources that can prescribe Paxlovid:
PlushCare ($129)
Push Health ($69)
CallonDoc ($40)
CVS ($60)
Sesame Care (varies aprox$40)
Dr. B ($15) - some goons reporting unreliable care here, requires a photo of your id next to your test

Free Telehealth resources in select states:
California: https://sesamecare.com/covidca
North Carolina: https://portcitydaily.com/live-briefs/2022/12/18/state-launches-free-telemedicine-screenings-for-covid-19-treatment/
schedule an appointment at https://starmed.care/nc/ or by calling 704-941-6000 seven days a week, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Minnesota: https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/minnesota-launches-telehealth-program-to-offer-no-cost-covid-19-therapeutics
More information on how to access the program and instructions for downloading and getting started with the Cue Health App can be found at care.cuehealth.com/mn

Thread recommendation is don't destroy your liver, check drug interactions before taking anything prescribed to you! Does that sound like medical advice? I'm not a doctor and am not qualified to tell you for sure if destroying your liver is a good or bad idea, I'm just guessing it's bad tbh.
Drug-Drug Interactions Between Ritonavir-Boosted Nirmatrelvir (Paxlovid) and Concomitant Medications AND
Searchable Drug Interaction Checker
:420: Both CBD & THC interact with Paxlovid.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I've had both doses and next week will mark two weeks since my second, but I feel like I'm going to be wary going inside to eat at a restaurant for a very, very long time. Anyone else feeling the same way?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
We have had both doses and I can’t wait to be able to sit down somewhere and have a beer after work again in a couple weeks.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I'm looking forward to getting back to a gym but it will still be abound a month since my second shot isn't for a couple more weeks.

Assuming the gym isn't packed. I'm still a little wary of those places.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Did we beat covid yet? Not sure how I'm feeling about lockdown ending and restaurants/bars opening up before a big chunk of the population is vaxxed. Seems like it'll just spike the numbers.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

low key sex master posted:

I've had both doses and next week will mark two weeks since my second, but I feel like I'm going to be wary going inside to eat at a restaurant for a very, very long time. Anyone else feeling the same way?

Appointments for our first dose will open to my age group next week here and even when fully vaccinated, I don't expect to go to a restaurant/cinema/gatherings until this is way behind in the rearview mirror. Not while there's daily infections by the hundreds or thousands and I expect this to still be the case at the end of the year.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I get my second Moderna shot next Thursday. Speaking of which, I always hear about second shot side effects from Pfizer getters. Is Moderna the same in that regard?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardvark! posted:

I get my second Moderna shot next Thursday. Speaking of which, I always hear about second shot side effects from Pfizer getters. Is Moderna the same in that regard?

My second Moderna shot gave me 3 days of sore arm and one night of bad sleep

There seems to be a lot of evidence that the second shot fucks you up if you've had the virus but I don't think that's conclusive yet

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The only side effect I had from my second Pfizer shot was some nasty pain in my arm like I took a slap shot with no padding, but my wife had really bad chills for a day or two

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Aardvark! posted:

Yeah, I think they are both in the same boat for that. Let us know how it goes, I'm in Moderna crew too.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1389944267930484744

Woo hoo we're gonna loving lick this thing!

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Do kids get the side effects of the vaccine like adults do? We've already promised ice cream, just wanna know what they're in for.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I had 36 hours of fever like symptoms (but not an actual fever) after both Moderna shots. Sucks but whatever, at least I (probably) won't get (this strain of) COVID.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Both doses as of Monday and I also don't plan to go to restaurants or anything like that for quite a while.

I'll go see my parents who are also vaxxed, I'll feel way more comfortable at work and going to the grocery store and stuff I have to do, and I'll restart my D&D game in person with everyone else who's vaccinated.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i'm going to drive half an hour to the "good" chinese buffet here once my vaccine takes hold. I will also probably go out to eat with my best friend and his wife once they are both vaccinated. also we will probably go disc golfing. anyway i will follow the CDC's guidance in all things, it will be a long while before i'm going out all the time again :hai:

holy gently caress i want some chinese buffet. just think of those chicken skewers. imagine building a little log cabin out of egg rolls. oh baby

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My older son just turned 11 a few months ago. Just missed it. :( I guess they can't exactly check IDs or whatever but...

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Have there being trials for younger children?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boy I wish Japan would get the vaccine instead of saying 500 people over the age of 70 in my district of well over a million can get the first doses sometime in may.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

I had about 48 hours where things were really hosed up (throwing up on the sheep, shaking like a leaf, falling down some stairs, etc) but then I was fine. So, take two days off and hope you don't need them.

Aardvark! posted:

i'm going to drive half an hour to the "good" chinese buffet here once my vaccine takes hold. I will also probably go out to eat with my best friend and his wife once they are both vaccinated. also we will probably go disc golfing. anyway i will follow the CDC's guidance in all things, it will be a long while before i'm going out all the time again :hai:

holy gently caress i want some chinese buffet. just think of those chicken skewers. imagine building a little log cabin out of egg rolls. oh baby

I don't know why the US is so averse to tracking. We could all do these things so much safer if we were tracking like many other countries do because people would know they were exposed when others in their vicinity (like that Chinese buffet) happen to pop positive

I miss my favorite Chinese buffet and I would absolutely go if my local numbers were lower (the county its in is brick red for transmission and deaths! yay!) and we had tracking.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I'm fully vaxxed but I don't think I will eat indoors in a long time. Or go to the movies. I'm still debating playing indoor sports again. I really want to get back to playing ice hockey but being inside a rink is probably one of the most risky behaviors I could take. So I may wait until Fall/Winter on that to see if cases drop further before I consider it again.

The one allowance I have given myself is to start playing outdoor sports again. Being outdoors while vaxxed seems safe enough to me even when being around other people. And I am pretty fine with picking up takeout at this point even if I have to go inside. Pre vaxx I didn't even like doing that and would prefer to order delivery on stuff I had to get something.

But I suppose it all comes down to personal risk tolerance in the end. My company is going to schedule some get-together at some point I'm pretty sure. I've avoided the previous ones due to not being vaxxed but I'm sure the pressure on me to show up to the next one will be large now that I actually am vaxxed. So that kinda sucks because I'd rather not.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

My wife and I were also just talking about Chinese buffets. It's probably a once a year sort of thing for us but it's been over a year at this point and we're getting antsy.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

are buffets allowed to operate rn? they aren't where i live

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Buffets always seemed gross to me even pre covid. I've never really understood the appeal. If you wanna pig out you can just order a shitload of food instead and not have to deal with the disgusting poo poo people do at buffets.

I guess buffets are cheap if that's your thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

lmao I'm in Florida, the governor would probably pay you to spit directly into someone's mouth

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

may 15th 2020 here in loving GA. and SC. and FL. AL held out a little longer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: Pfizer seeking approval to start vaccinating kids as young as TWO (2) starting in September :siren:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My Pfizer was fully vested as of April 30th, so I flew out to DFW to see my family for the first time since Christmas of 2019. Stayed for one weekend, ate indoors twice. Nobody masked at either of the restaurants, but everyone fully masked all the time during airport+flight. Got back on Sunday, have remained quarantined in my apartment, and have a COVID test scheduled for Thursday.

I feel fine, but I just want to be absolutely certain that I'm not carrying anything.

I already got tickets on the Acela and a hotel reservation for a July trip up to Manhattan. Now, if I test positive then I might have second thoughts, but I feel confident enough to throw down the $300.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I'm debating whether i should get an antibody test or not. It's been 2 weeks since my second moderna dose. Between having no side effects from the shot and that recent survey of patients on certain immunosuppressants (i take one of those) not having detectable antibodies, i'm worried that i didn't respond to the vaccine.

The CDC says they do not recommend the antibody test for patients with weakened immune systems, as it may not give a reliable assessment. And i don't wanna get charged for a test that might give me a false negative.

On the other hand, that survey only checked patients who received their first dose and not their second. So i really should wait for the follow up to that study before worrying about it. Plus i'm not an organ recipient like the people surveyed in that study; i am treating a chronic illness. Not sure if that will affect things.

I don't regret getting the vaccine at all. I just want reassurance that i have even a little bit of protection with the vaccine as an immunocompromised person.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have some positive news :) , ONS just released more figures:

in January alone the U.K. had 32,000 deaths due to a massive spike caused by poor management and the Kent variant. By May 1st 51% of the population had had at least one shot, and the April death toll total was 753.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

extremely gratified to hear (even though i work from home) that masks are still required on site at work, per CDC guidelines. can't help but think that all those people masked up and social distancing on the warehouse feed must be fairly jealous of us bougie work from home types all barefaced on the zoom grid though

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm debating whether i should get an antibody test or not. It's been 2 weeks since my second moderna dose. Between having no side effects from the shot and that recent survey of patients on certain immunosuppressants (i take one of those) not having detectable antibodies, i'm worried that i didn't respond to the vaccine.

The CDC says they do not recommend the antibody test for patients with weakened immune systems, as it may not give a reliable assessment. And i don't wanna get charged for a test that might give me a false negative.

On the other hand, that survey only checked patients who received their first dose and not their second. So i really should wait for the follow up to that study before worrying about it. Plus i'm not an organ recipient like the people surveyed in that study; i am treating a chronic illness. Not sure if that will affect things.

I don't regret getting the vaccine at all. I just want reassurance that i have even a little bit of protection with the vaccine as an immunocompromised person.

Immunocomprobud here. Do the antibody test if it'll help you feel better. You should be okay to go, but caution is always a great thing.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
One week from today will be two weeks since my second pfizer shot (I was sick for 2 days afterwards). I'm looking forward to eating somewhere where I can be outdoors. I still intend to walk there and back, not taking a bus or anything.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I had the AZ shot, about 24h of fever and muscle pain with some nausea, but overall not terrible. I'm also 39F and haven't keeled over from clots (yet). Looking forward to not being so paranoid in about a week, which is when my babby immunity will be established.

Still gonna mask up and distance for a good while.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ginette Reno posted:

But I suppose it all comes down to personal risk tolerance in the end. My company is going to schedule some get-together at some point I'm pretty sure. I've avoided the previous ones due to not being vaxxed but I'm sure the pressure on me to show up to the next one will be large now that I actually am vaxxed. So that kinda sucks because I'd rather not.

Yeah that's why I've avoided telling anyone but a close few trusted people that I've been vaccinated

I'm holding out as long as I can so I can say "nah I'd rather not" especially to large group gatherings

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Aardvark! posted:

The only side effects I had from my 2nd Pfizer shot was a sore arm for a couple days and I was pretty sleepy the evening afterward and went to bed early.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

learnincurve posted:

I have some positive news :) , ONS just released more figures:

in January alone the U.K. had 32,000 deaths due to a massive spike caused by poor management and the Kent variant. By May 1st 51% of the population had had at least one shot, and the April death toll total was 753.

This is absolutely wild and amazing.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
So is it going to be COVID-21, COVID-19-21, SARS 2.1 or what now? I need to get these shirts off to the printers right away. Time's a-wasting here, ya know?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Buffets always seemed gross to me even pre covid.

yeah, some things i probably won't ever do again include eating at a buffet and sitting shoulder to shoulder in a packed movie theater for a summer tentpole release. i think the only way you're ever getting me back in a movie theater is taking me to the bougie recliner-based one that only seats like 80

live theater is also pretty iffy. was really looking forward to taking my burgeoning thespian kid to a lot of shows but now have no idea when i'll feel comfortable sitting in a full house

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm holding out as long as I can so I can say "nah I'd rather not" especially to large group gatherings

conversely this has been the year+ that i've reconsidered who i count among my friends

there should be no expectation to submit yourself to a plague for a social gathering :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

boar guy posted:

yeah, some things i probably won't ever do again include eating at a buffet and sitting shoulder to shoulder in a packed movie theater for a summer tentpole release. i think the only way you're ever getting me back in a movie theater is taking me to the bougie recliner-based one that only seats like 80

live theater is also pretty iffy. was really looking forward to taking my burgeoning thespian kid to a lot of shows but now have no idea when i'll feel comfortable sitting in a full house

I feel like someone upthread: when the numbers of new cases per day is finally at something lower than loving crazy number like it is now, then I'll start thinking about doing some indoor or crowded stuff. In about 6 weeks, after my second dose settles in, I'll feel a lot better about going shopping, taking the train and stuff like that. The guilty pleasure I don't know when we'll be able to do again is going to the sauna/baths. I love a day relaxing in saunas and whirlpools and chilling in the sun or shade. It'll be a while before I look at a steam bath with anything but horror.