Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mr. Humalong posted:

I have almost 1000 posts to catch up on. Come at me.

Hum I'm mod confirmed town but everybody is being mean to me please save me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

im going to be mad if you guys blurt stuff out before understanding what you're talking about. some stuff should not be said in thread

lol go look back through the list of roles, there’s only one thing impacted by hammering (well two, but you’re obviously not tryna cover for a party host flip), and it’s a very scummy thing to want to dodge.

If you don’t like being attacked on this point, make a counterargument, don’t just go “gUYSSSS YOURE RUINING IT” when allegedly its based on information everyone has access to.

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Mr. Steak posted:

because i usually post before im done thinking

That's a pretty good non-answer there bucko

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

Mr. Steak posted:

im going to be mad if you guys blurt stuff out before understanding what you're talking about. some stuff should not be said in thread

I've been staying silent, because I just can't wait to see where this goes, but like

You brought it up

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
try thinking about it for 2 seconds

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope i didnt overestimate the intelligence of town. but its looking that way

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just forget i said anything about hammering. it was a joke

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lets pose a question tho. out of the entire thread. 1 person is **guaranteed* to become immune to the memories of murder role, if we lunch someone. out of every player in the game, who would you prefer to be that person? dont answer in thread

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Day 2 will hopefully start sometime this afternoon. I’m on kid patrol this morning and also trying to squeeze in real work. So yell at me to get things done if you think it’s going slowly.

That said, if you haven’t sent in an action do so now. Even if it’s saying you aren’t doing anything. I haven’t checked to see if everyone has sent one so consider this a global prod.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

i hope i didnt overestimate the intelligence of town. but its looking that way

lol steak, how old are you

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sorry YOU guys don’t understand MY magnificent play. I had thought better of you knaves, but *scoffs* it would seem you lot are but fools.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sandwolf, go talk about it in the masonry

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Why would I do that? This is a point the entire town should look at and you tryna use real bottom of the barrel manipulation because the town can’t understand the impeccable big brain plays of steak should be called out

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Claim or don’t, it’s fine, but you dragged yourself into the spotlight so don’t start using backhanded statements when you don’t like it

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

lets pose a question tho. out of the entire thread. 1 person is **guaranteed* to become immune to the memories of murder role, if we lunch someone. out of every player in the game, who would you prefer to be that person? dont answer in thread

Probably the person who isn't gunning for it.
I get what you're saying, that you know you have a town role pm so therefore the known town should get the immunity.
But noone else has your role PM, and noone else was selfish enough to think about it like that. The ones who would be selfish enough to think about it like that are more likely scum than town.
That being said, if a scum was trying to steal that immunity, they would have done it quietly rather than grabbing at it like you did probably.
I don't think you are scum, but this reasoning is lovely as hell.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It doesn’t even hold up Grandicap. It only works as a defensive maneuver. We all have IN THREAD knowledge of who the hammerer was on any given day. The only reason someone would want it is to obfuscate their own ability to kill at another time.

It’s not like if whoever had the memories of a murderer role would target steak tonight and come to thread tomorrow like “OH MYGOD STEAK DID A MURDER” cuz we’d all know it was the hammer.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Thank god steak is considering playing around roles he doesn’t even know are in the game, something town definitely do.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

It doesn’t even hold up Grandicap. It only works as a defensive maneuver. We all have IN THREAD knowledge of who the hammerer was on any given day. The only reason someone would want it is to obfuscate their own ability to kill at another time.

It’s not like if whoever had the memories of a murderer role would target steak tonight and come to thread tomorrow like “OH MYGOD STEAK DID A MURDER” cuz we’d all know it was the hammer.

It takes the power for the immunity from someone else. Someone has to get it, shouldn't it be the person who you know is town (is steak's mindset). It's selfish and arrogant as hell, but also very steak.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Thank god steak is considering playing around roles he doesn’t even know are in the game, something town definitely do.
Coming from a place of giving Steak the benefit of the doubt here: you are not thinking this through enough.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was not motivated by arrogance or selfishness

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

can we just like, not talk about power role stuff for a bit? I bet there will be a better time in the future!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

But hammering is public knowledge, there’s no way for that to set off a false positive, the person using the role knows who all the hammerers are. Steak, at best, made it so he’ll never be investigated by that person.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

can we just like, not talk about power role stuff for a bit? I bet there will be a better time in the future!

What, like after beginning of day flip? Great

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

What, like after beginning of day flip? Great
No like, in a time where it actually makes sense and is useful to talk about.

Can you ask yourself "what benefit might come from this conversation right now?" Because I don't see one.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where is the rolefishig police when you need them

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(ohp, nvm its already here)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

Coming from a place of giving Steak the benefit of the doubt here: you are not thinking this through enough.

Okay, now do the same analysis without giving him the benefit of the doubt, what even is the point of this statement?

You don’t know steak, I do, this is all something he would do as town or scum. But Jesus Christ did the lot of you come in here ready to play around every possible role here?

Were any of you so fixated on one specific investigatory role that you hammered as soon as possible in order to claim a specific position?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Mr. Steak posted:

hello officer dy reporting for duty

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf I do agree with you that the behavior around that hammer was generally very weird and I don't really know what to make of it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

point to the rolefish

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

Sandwolf I do agree with you that the behavior around that hammer was generally very weird and I don't really know what to make of it.

Then why the gently caress are you arguing with me about trying to question those involved. Jesus

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Day 2 is going to be great

Steak I wait warmly for your follow-up day post

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Then why the gently caress are you arguing with me about trying to question those involved. Jesus
Hey hey heyyyyyy

heyyyyy heyyyyyyyyy

come on Sandwolf

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I just realised one of us is going to die when it hits day and that made me a little sad.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

Hey hey heyyyyyy

heyyyyy heyyyyyyyyy

come on Sandwolf

?! Answer the question dy

If you agree that that grouping of votes from merk, Hal, Steak is weird

WHY are you challenging me in my questioning of steak? Because it’s related to roles? Cuz steak can’t point to a place where I rolefished so that’s not the excuse.

So what is it?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

But hammering is public knowledge, there’s no way for that to set off a false positive, the person using the role knows who all the hammerers are. Steak, at best, made it so he’ll never be investigated by that person.

Yes. It takes steak out of the pool. If steak is town, and he knows this, then it doesn't take a scum out of the pool to investigate. So limiting the pool to 1 less townie is a good thing, and limiting the pool to 1 fewer scum would be a real bad thing as far as odds go.

Like I said, if this was what steak was going for it is selfish, it is arrogant, but it is fully in line with what I think a town steak would do. I would not make this argument for the large majority of mafia players. It's an action I wouldn't take unless there was a clear prevailing opinion among the thread I was town (very obviously not so this game lol).

And dy. What's the point of open twilight if we don't talk about things like this? Especially while we wait for the flip that will provide even more information?

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Sandwolf posted:

But Jesus Christ did the lot of you come in here ready to play around every possible role here?

Were any of you so fixated on one specific investigatory role that you hammered as soon as possible in order to claim a specific position?

1) Why not? They've all been posted except the mystery roles

2) I have been prepared to take memories of murder into account since before the game started, so I don't see why others wouldn't do that as well (this is a shady way to do it, but steak literally claimed it and pointed out that he was interacting with it in-thread, meaning he must intend to explain this)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Grandi now do the same calculus about steak but now steak is scum.

I agree with your calculus if steak is town, but I don’t know that, and it still checks out in my mind if he’s scum. Moreso, even. Scum steak likes gambits and doing big loud things in the spotlight. Town steak forgets he’s playing half the time.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

?! Answer the question dy

If you agree that that grouping of votes from merk, Hal, Steak is weird

WHY are you challenging me in my questioning of steak? Because it’s related to roles? Cuz steak can’t point to a place where I rolefished so that’s not the excuse.

So what is it?
It's complicated, right? I'm trying to answer this in the best and safest way that I can. There are definitely interesting discussions to be had around the hammer, and more than anything, it was weird, and personally I would love to know why. Unfortunately, something potentially role-related is happening with Mr. Steak and I want to be cautious about forcing him to reveal anything that could hint at role information right now. I think you should be too, and maybe like, understand that there are reasons to conceal information as town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Just because someone did something brash does not make them town