Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy gently caress the fours! lmao

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

.random posted:

So. Uh. If I understand the draft process correctly, I think this means I won? I guess? gg everyone.

scum post

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Alright who looked at the last thread and stole my number?

i was gonna say! i think so many people chose it cuz it was the winning number last game

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, this is what i get for being nocturnal. discord was down when i woke up so i dont even know my role lmao

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey voodoofly, can u PM me my role pls

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i am going to assume that solus had a faulty vig and that he is town alligned

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

If you're gonna prematurely vig someone at least have it be for a reason and not based on random.org. At least save it for someone who you think is scummy.

i agree, but solus gonna solus

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CCKeane posted:

Phrasing feels very careful and "Grandicap has at least one BP" feels particularly strange.

actually kind of agreeing with this point.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grandicap posted:

I can accept the former, why the latter?

because ive landed on the side of wifom that says he's town for it

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
btw i have my role pm now, all is good

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

So first of all, can we please not reveal the role choices of other players? This is not a good move. I hope you are playing 4D chess and didn't actually choose mason since you are relatively high on the role draft list.

Secondly, this feels forced. This whole thing just reeks of someone who doesn't have a town mentality and is trying to appear to be scumhunting without actually doing it.

##vote Sandwolf

i agree with this, up until you call sandwolf scum for it. its really easy to believe that he just didnt think that far ahead before posting

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwolf posted:

No? First post I told everyone what I was going to pick and I stuck with that. This feels like forced hand-wringing, I’m not even sure you think I’m scum. You think I’m forcing a town mentality early on D1 by bringing a somewhat jokey, somewhat serious point to the attention of thread?

idk what dy's specific issue was, but the thing i was agreeing with, was not that you claimed your own role, but that you outed several other players as potentially having more valuable roles than mason. which i dont need to explain why thats bad

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

"oh cool, now I know that I don't have to worry about Sandwolf being one of the roles that can bust me but there's a good chance that Grandicap or Toalpaz could be"

ah ok, so yes i was agreeing with him

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwolf posted:

Grandi’s posts about not picking mason are in this drat thread for everyone to read.

so are toalpaz's posts about picking mason.

im not saying you had ill intent (who it seems that's what dy is saying) but i certainly understand dy's point.

however, dy, let it go lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*who --> tho

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(i acknowledge he has probably already let it go, but im still catching up, gimme a break)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwolf posted:

This feels very very contrived from dy but I don’t think he’s scum. I think it’s just early D1 and he can’t understand why I’d claim that so it’s shorting his brain out and he has to think I’m scum

idk, i was actually agreeing with you when you were leaning into calling dy scum for the push. at first it was reasonable but he made it really hard to keep agreeing with his point when he kept pushing SO HARD on you

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

So this is the last thing I'll say on the topic so I don't completely monopolize this conversation: this is not a normal setup. You providing your role information is a direct hint as to what the people above and below you on the list could have chosen. The players at the top of the draft order are particularly important because they are more likely to be powerful roles. You're not just making a (bad) decision to reveal your own role information, you're also making a (bad) decision to disclose the role information of others.

Before you claimed:

The best information the scum had would lead them to believe that you, Grandicap, Toalpaz, and merk were likely to choose mason and not be a huge threat to the scum. They would feel the most threatened by you. In the #6 draft slot, there is a reasonable chance you could have picked something else. You could have, at the very least, eaten a nightkill that could have hit someone more powerful.

After you claimed:

The best information the scum have would lead them to believe that you are mason and not much of a threat to them. They can focus their nightkill somewhere else. They know that the other 1,1's are not masons and could be a more powerful role.

The thing that tips you in the directly of scummy for me is your suggestion that the other 1,1's are scum because they didn't pick mason. Softclaiming to pick mason in the pregame and then going for a more powerful role strikes me as a smart town move and not something at all to be suspicious of.

To be fair, I think I do this with you in every game, but it's the best I got right now.

well ok, now i am reading this as first wifoa game, extremely overzealous overthinking about game meta

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toalpaz posted:

We're in a game with no other faction, I'm willing to bet. hehehe.

i know this is a joke, but if everyone in the game were town then we would win. the game doesnt continue after that.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grandicap posted:

dy. and Sand are both more likely than not town in my eyes. Not voting either today.

starting to come to this conclusion myself

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CCKeane posted:

Who cares about Sandwolf or Dy. Gimme those Solus takes.

well he kinda shot a vig and then dipped. of course he could have gone to work or sleep right after, but look, even keane and merk have been posting a lot.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

b-minus1 posted:

This reads like a slip. “Rest of the town” implies dy already knows sandwolf’s alignment. Which is town. Meaning dy is scum ##vote dy

maybe its just me, but i thought "the town" meant all players in the game, and "town" meant the allignment

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

Come on I'm using "the town" to mean "all of the players in this game." This is stupid.

oh. lmao

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

Since Sandwolf is so keen to discuss, I would love to hear other takes on this post. This is the post that started it all but I haven't really seen anyone else respond to it. Do you think this is a real thought?

OMG LET IT GO

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(yes i see the irony of me posting about arguments while saying they are dumb. but i want to comment on stuff i slept through)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont understand why people seem to think solus needs to grab a rifle to shoot it? well, besides that solus himself implied it. but that runs counter to the role as the OP explains it

quote:

Firing Squad Vigilante: You are in charge of the firing squad rifle cabinet. There are five rifles. They only fire once. Only one is loaded. You may only fire one rifle per day (##kill xxx in thread) as firing squads don’t shoot at night. Each night you may target the cabinet and, if successful, a magical hand will remove an unloaded rifle from the cabinet.

the use of the hand is to increase the probability of the next shot firing a bullet. NOT grabbing a gun to shoot with

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AT-LOW posted:

I personally doubt that scum takes the 80/20 chance,

well, in the last wifoa game, scum vigged scum on d1 with a 100% chance. so

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, it completely justified my analysis that the towniedst use of the toxic vig is to ALWAYS guess "town" with the shot.

what happened in that game was scum vigged scum with faulty vig by guessing "scum". in the end it "worked", but i was still skeptical because of my meta analysis.

if you are town with the faulty vig, it is the most beneficial to ONLY guess town, unless you are VERY loving SURE that they're scum.

here's why:
if you guess scum and your target is town, that's 2 dead town.
if you guess town and your target is town, that's only 1 dead town.
if you guess town and your target is scum, that's 1 dead town and 1 dead scum

the risk of guessing scum is significantly higher than the risk of guessing town.

qed

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
u know what, i probably had the impression merk was posting more cuz of illemuche

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Votecount for Day 1

Sandwolf (2): ilmucche, ilmucche, ilmucche, dy.
Grandicap (1): b-minus1
merk (1): Philip J. Fry
Philip J. Fry (1): Grandicap
.random (1): ObamaAkbar.
sandnavyguy (1): merk
SolusLunes (1): CCKeane

Not Voting (9): .random, AT-LOW, Hal Insandenza, Mr. Steak, SalTheBard, sandnavyguy, Sandwolf, SolusLunes, Toalpaz

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.

thh i thought there were a lot more people voting when i went to check this, but its still good to have in thread

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wtf? why was mine so wrong

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
was that a serious vote on me btw? i assumed it was a joke (and also assumed u'd unvoted based on the votecount i saw)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also what is the case on at-low...? not that 2 votes really means much but i dont get it

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didnt agree with sandwolf's blatant lurker vote, but it just so happens that those last 2 posts are bad

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
""lurker"" in big quotes, i should specify

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
##vote oa

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
coming in with an entire handful of townreads and absolutely nothing else is lame.

then again, maybe he's typing a big effortpost about someone right now and this is premature

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Tbh I get the feeling this might be like last game where scum just chilled out while town destroyed each other

im interpreting this as a town read on anyone who got pressured today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ObamaAkbar. posted:

What’s curious to me also is that you haven’t had a single scum read so far from what I can see, all town reads too...

valid complaint. i should have been more specific. the issue isnt so much that you've not given any scumreads. it's that by calling everyone involved in the day's major discussions town, you are lowkey invalidating those discussions, ie saying they arent really worth attention. on top of that, you accuse scum of sitting back comfortably, but left it at that vague statement without analyzing any specific behavior through that lens