Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We have a breakfast thread, a lunch thread, but no dinner thread! I like eating dinner. I'm also cooking more and it's pretty fun although I'm not great and I'm rather lazy and don't do it as often as I should.

I'd like to know what you guys are cooking for dinner! Or eating I guess, but I'd much rather see what you guys cooked. Pics are highly encouraged.

This is a standard midwest dinner for me. Protein, starch, veggie. Although I rarely eat steak but you get the point.

I made this maybe 2 weeks ago. It was a recipe called "beef tamale skillet." It was really just taco slop, but I liked it.

I made cabbage rolls for the first time last week. They turned out pretty good but I forgot to cut the base of the cabbage out so it was rather fibrous.

So. What did YOU make for dinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm drinking tonight and probably won't feel like cooking anything so I might get a pizza. Not sure yet. I might be too lazy to have someone hand deliver food to me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's the good poo poo. I keep wanting to get scallops but I never do for some reason. I LOVE scallops.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
There are a few cuts of meat that are really hard to gently caress up. Ribeye and tenderloin can be cooked to medium or so and still be.... decent. Prime rib is probably on that list too.

Last night I had a birthday dinner (I'm nearing 40 ugh) at a local place (we're all vaxxed) and I got a brisket sandwich. It was decent but pretty loving greasy, which wasn't a bad thing I guess. I'm not a huge fan of fries but their garlic fries were pretty good. A bit soggy but the flavor was on point.

However, they could NOT make a martini. I asked for a vodka martini which is two loving ingredients. To be fair I asked for it dirty, so 3 ingredients. It was sweet. They used golden vermouth or something and it was just terrible. You use dry vermouth. I got one down and didn't say anything but I asked them the second time to use ONLY vodka and olive juice if they didn't have dry vermouth. They did it anyway. It was undrinkable at that point. My mom warned me too because that's all she drinks.

One of our party asked for a whiskey with an ice cube. They literally brought out a shot glass of whiskey and an ice cube in a little plastic dressing cup. Jesus H Christ. I don't see myself going back there anytime soon.

edit: regarding the potato. I ALWAYS eat the skin now. In restaurants they usually cook it plain and pop it open for you. I make mine the Alton Brown way. Coat it with olive oil and kosher salt. Omg I can't think of a better way to get the skin so good.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 9, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I went to a local wing place for take out.
Got a "sloppy chicken" sandwich, some potato wedges, and Battered mushrooms.
It was pretty dope.

Some Lemon Meringue pie for dessert.
Now to watch a movie.
What should I watch?

Choose from the following:

Mississippi Burning

The Wanderers

Three Stooges Meet Hercules

Winchester 73

Citizen Kane

Straight Outta Compton

I've always wanted to see Straight Outta Compton.

May I suggest Aliens, one of the best movies ever made?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I don't have it. I'm old and poo poo, so I have DVDs.
No Nutflix.

Pirate it. Everyone needs to have Aliens.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Re martini chat. Years ago I went to a dive bar with a few friends and one of them ordered a dirty martini. You know how cocktail olives are supposed to be in brine? This place had a jar of olives in oil. So the bartender gives my friend this glass with a big globby oil slick floating on top of well vodka and old vermouth.

Martinis should be impossible to gently caress up, but man, people still find a way.

:stare:

Theres a local chain of used cd/dvd/record stores that'll probably have it. I'll check that poo poo out.

Thus far Straight Outta Compton is the front runner with a staggering 100% of the vote.

:hmmyes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm half in the bag now so I'll probably order a pizza. Toppers, which is a Wisconsin and maybe some other midwest states company. I'm trying to make a white pizza but they don't have an alfredo sauce so I'll need ranch sauce (:smith:) chicken, spinach, roasted garlic. Probably some Topper Sticks, which is just basically a breadstick with cheese, and some Nashville hot chicken wings with bleu cheese. Well it's a pizza chain so blue cheese.

I will eat about 20% of it max and put the rest in my fridge for 3 days while it slowly goes bad.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm going to have leftover pizza. I didn't have breakfast or lunch (besides bourbon). So I'll be looking forward to it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Spaghetti and meatballs, salad, garlic bread

Classic.

I made this on April 6th apparently due to this picture title. It's so dead simple but I never do it. Pasta has so many calories for so little satiety so I never make it. It's good though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wendigee posted:

Titties with a side of rear end

Derpies is that you?

Wait no. He doesn't do titties.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had a bit of leftover garlic bread sticks, some pizza, (all heated in the toaster oven) and a small handful of medications.

It keeps me regular.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

shoutout to pennywise's legit corelle city block plates

I don't know what this means but thank you! I think. Hmm... doubtful.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'd love to see more cooking from an Irishman. Or anyone not from the US I guess. I have a big American Irish family. My mom's family had 9 kids and they all have hilariously stereotypical names. My mom has been there twice and she wants to take me next time. I'm sure it's not that different from here but I like seeing stuff about different countries. :3:

You are the Irish guy right? Am I just talking out of my rear end? Again?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I love tritip. I've never heard of it before but saw it as a really cheap cut in the Seattle area. I always bought it as steaks. They were like $3 each. I asked some butchers around here at home and no one knew what it was. I finally found them in premade vacuum sealed packages at Meijer. They're not great but get the job done sometimes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah it's a Santa Maria roast out there. So I hear.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've had tri tip on the grill as a steak, and on the grill and oven as a roast. I'd say the grill is the best way to go. It takes a while in the oven but the grill is faster if I remember correctly.

My memories of the steaks were really great, which I'm not sure why because it's a pretty lean cut. I was used to having top sirloin all throughout my life. Then I discovered NY stips and ribeyes and now it's hard to have anything else.

They have new cuts out here that I've never heard of until a few years ago that I've only seen at Festival Foods. Spoon and charcoal. If I remember they make decent steaks. Actually I think the spoon is a roast. And they sell the charcoal cut as steaks.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 11, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
More than half a bottle of Evan Williams. But I still plan on cooking something tonight instead of ordering something which I've been good at doing for weeks. For sure. Probably a (frozen) beef and broccoli package thing and heat up some cauliflower rice. We'll see how I'm feeling since its...... 9:28pm and I'm still not hungry. I want it done before midnight.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

More than half a bottle of Evan Williams. But I still plan on cooking something tonight instead of ordering something which I've been good at doing for weeks. For sure. Probably a (frozen) beef and broccoli package thing and heat up some cauliflower rice. We'll see how I'm feeling since its...... 9:28pm and I'm still not hungry. I want it done before midnight.

This is exactly how it worked out. Just more bourbon. Had to crack open another bottle.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ordered another pizza. It'll be here in about an hour. Tavern style pepperoni and garlic with some hot buffalo wings.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

square cut cracker thin? i love that poo poo.

No cracker crust. Just a thin crust which is actually pretty soft and floppy but the amount of cheese is great.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Aardvark! posted:

im gonna be honest with you i got real drunk off seltzers while gaming with The Boys and ate a slim Jim + a whole mess of "honey mustard bar mix"

Aren't slim jims your breakfast? :confused:

I'm probably going to make cod filets with some frozen vegetable. I'd like to add another side. Maybe a baked potato.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've never bought a rotisserie chicken before and have it on my grocery list for next time I go. I have some recipes available to use the leftover chicken with.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I made two cod filets in the air fryer (8 minutes) and a whole bag of green beans because I didn't want to make a potato.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Gonna attempt a corned beef and cabbage in the Instant Pot tonight. I've only used that thing maybe once despite how useful it could be.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just bought real garlic for the first time in my adult life. I've gotten the jarred stuff in oil forever. My dad did it so I did it. :shrug:

Wow. It's uh, not the same. It's as pungent as an onion and made me tear up when I was cutting it. :getin:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm following this Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe. Since it's a recipe from a website, if it doesn't turn out, I can sue.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It turned out great! Corned beef and cabbage in the instant pot!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's gonna be leftover corned beef and cabbage for me tonight!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:hmmyes:

I used to love breakfast for dinner when I was a kid. Now I only eat breakfast for breakfast. I think I'm hoping to trick myself into eating breakfast more often. Like it's an exclusive thing. "Uh oh, it's past breakfast time. Can't have it now you dope!" Maybe like McDonald's breakfast times.

edit: Although I'll be making breakfast today at around noon. But I woke up at 10am and it's 11am and I'm just having my coffee now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was going to buy one of those rotisserie chickens and eat the rest of the corned beef and cabbage vegetables but I made a mash out of some of it this morning for bubble and squeak. So I'm having some chicken tenders and asian vegetables.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Aardvark! posted:

thinking about order Papa John's up in this beetch for din din tonight

Papa John says don't do it and to get Domino's because it's better.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm going to pick up my first ever rotisserie chicken from the store. I'm going to have maybe a breast and leg/thigh tonight with some veggies and then shred up the rest and pick the carcass and make chicken pot pie soup tomorrow.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

Costco? Welcome to flavortown if so.

No :(. Costco is a bit too far for me to just grab that. I need other small items so I'm just going to go to a closer grocery store. I'll have to pick one up from Costco sometime though because from what I've seen, those look to be the biggest and highest quality.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That looks pretty good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got the chicken and I'm probably going to have a breast and maybe a wing/thigh. Not sure how hungry I'll be in two hours since I'm not hungry at all right now. I'll have that and some frozen veggies.

I bought the chicken primarily to shred it up for a chicken pot pie soup recipe I found. I'll either make that tomorrow or the next day with the leftovers.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nooner posted:

does posting all of these recipes that are from websites make me hella basic? I feel like GWS would all be dunking on me because a lot of what I make comes out of looking at whatever I have and googling "_______ recipe" or "__________ instant pot" and rolling with what looks good haha

Absolutely not! I want this thread to be inclusive to everyone! I don't cook very often and as you can see in the OP my stuff is pretty pedestrian. I always google "healthy xyz recipe" or the same stuff you do. 100%. GWS can be pretty intimidating, to the point where I don't post there because I also don't want to get dunked on. I hope not much dunking goes on here... except the pot roast in your gravy! LOL :haw:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Gonna have another chicken breast and drumstick with some frozen veggies. I picked the carcass clean for tomorrow when I make my soup (I hope).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nooner posted:

Grilled some chicken to go with Caesar salad simple and easy :yum:

Also sorry I said you would be the r word if you messed up your cornbeef in the instant pot Pennywise, I was just cracking wise, I think you are a good poster (:

:glomp: