Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We have a breakfast thread, a lunch thread, but no dinner thread! I like eating dinner. I'm also cooking more and it's pretty fun although I'm not great and I'm rather lazy and don't do it as often as I should.

I'd like to know what you guys are cooking for dinner! Or eating I guess, but I'd much rather see what you guys cooked. Pics are highly encouraged.

This is a standard midwest dinner for me. Protein, starch, veggie. Although I rarely eat steak but you get the point.

I made this maybe 2 weeks ago. It was a recipe called "beef tamale skillet." It was really just taco slop, but I liked it.

I made cabbage rolls for the first time last week. They turned out pretty good but I forgot to cut the base of the cabbage out so it was rather fibrous.

So. What did YOU make for dinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm drinking tonight and probably won't feel like cooking anything so I might get a pizza. Not sure yet. I might be too lazy to have someone hand deliver food to me.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

This was the most recent meal I took a picture of. Got high and made fried chicken and biscuits for the wife and I about a week back.

Before that I made surf and turf with scallops, flank steak, spinach, and rice.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's the good poo poo. I keep wanting to get scallops but I never do for some reason. I LOVE scallops.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I am going to eat TACOS when i get home from work and i cant fucken wait

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Fully vaxxed and were kid-free for a few hours so the missus and I went out to a pub for dinner. I was really hungry from not really eating anything else so I ordered the prime rib. Ordered it medium rare but it was delivered to me uh, let’s say pretty close to well done. Normally I’d politely say something but I was in too much of a good mood to really be bothered by it and too hungry to wait for another one. I just gave the bites a good dunk in au jus and rolled with it. Despite being overdone it was still pretty tasty and the baked potato was really good with salty crispy skin.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
There are a few cuts of meat that are really hard to gently caress up. Ribeye and tenderloin can be cooked to medium or so and still be.... decent. Prime rib is probably on that list too.

Last night I had a birthday dinner (I'm nearing 40 ugh) at a local place (we're all vaxxed) and I got a brisket sandwich. It was decent but pretty loving greasy, which wasn't a bad thing I guess. I'm not a huge fan of fries but their garlic fries were pretty good. A bit soggy but the flavor was on point.

However, they could NOT make a martini. I asked for a vodka martini which is two loving ingredients. To be fair I asked for it dirty, so 3 ingredients. It was sweet. They used golden vermouth or something and it was just terrible. You use dry vermouth. I got one down and didn't say anything but I asked them the second time to use ONLY vodka and olive juice if they didn't have dry vermouth. They did it anyway. It was undrinkable at that point. My mom warned me too because that's all she drinks.

One of our party asked for a whiskey with an ice cube. They literally brought out a shot glass of whiskey and an ice cube in a little plastic dressing cup. Jesus H Christ. I don't see myself going back there anytime soon.

edit: regarding the potato. I ALWAYS eat the skin now. In restaurants they usually cook it plain and pop it open for you. I make mine the Alton Brown way. Coat it with olive oil and kosher salt. Omg I can't think of a better way to get the skin so good.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 9, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I went to a local wing place for take out.
Got a "sloppy chicken" sandwich, some potato wedges, and Battered mushrooms.
It was pretty dope.

Some Lemon Meringue pie for dessert.
Now to watch a movie.
What should I watch?

Choose from the following:

Mississippi Burning

The Wanderers

Three Stooges Meet Hercules

Winchester 73

Citizen Kane

Straight Outta Compton

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
sloppy joes and pasta salad. was good

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
triscuits and a glass of milk. sorry I didn't take a picture :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I went to a local wing place for take out.
Got a "sloppy chicken" sandwich, some potato wedges, and Battered mushrooms.
It was pretty dope.

Some Lemon Meringue pie for dessert.
Now to watch a movie.
What should I watch?

Choose from the following:

Mississippi Burning

The Wanderers

Three Stooges Meet Hercules

Winchester 73

Citizen Kane

Straight Outta Compton

I've always wanted to see Straight Outta Compton.

May I suggest Aliens, one of the best movies ever made?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

some motherfuckin' crunchy tacos with homemade fresh salsa and El Yucateco red

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've always wanted to see Straight Outta Compton.

May I suggest Aliens, one of the best movies ever made?

I don't have it. I'm old and poo poo, so I have DVDs.
No Nutflix.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I don't have it. I'm old and poo poo, so I have DVDs.
No Nutflix.

Pirate it. Everyone needs to have Aliens.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Got pork chops in the convection oven rn

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Re martini chat. Years ago I went to a dive bar with a few friends and one of them ordered a dirty martini. You know how cocktail olives are supposed to be in brine? This place had a jar of olives in oil. So the bartender gives my friend this glass with a big globby oil slick floating on top of well vodka and old vermouth.

Martinis should be impossible to gently caress up, but man, people still find a way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Pirate it. Everyone needs to have Aliens.

Theres a local chain of used cd/dvd/record stores that'll probably have it. I'll check that poo poo out.

Thus far Straight Outta Compton is the front runner with a staggering 100% of the vote.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Re martini chat. Years ago I went to a dive bar with a few friends and one of them ordered a dirty martini. You know how cocktail olives are supposed to be in brine? This place had a jar of olives in oil. So the bartender gives my friend this glass with a big globby oil slick floating on top of well vodka and old vermouth.

Martinis should be impossible to gently caress up, but man, people still find a way.

:stare:

Theres a local chain of used cd/dvd/record stores that'll probably have it. I'll check that poo poo out.

Thus far Straight Outta Compton is the front runner with a staggering 100% of the vote.

:hmmyes:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

some motherfuckin' crunchy tacos with homemade fresh salsa and El Yucateco red

Hard shell, hell yes. Thank you for joining the resistance.

Also that salsa looks fantastic, well done.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hard shell, hell yes. Thank you for joining the resistance.

Also that salsa looks fantastic, well done.

I am an equal opportunity taco lover. all tacos are beautiful

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Got pork chops in the convection oven rn

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I ordered a banh mi and my partner got pot stickers

BUT THEN THEY SAID THEY COULDN'T MAKE THE BANH MI

gently caress my life I'm eating pizza rolls

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I had buttered egg noodles with steamed broccoli. Nothing fancy tonight.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
a Marie calendar pub style pot pie and some steamed asparagus

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Potato salad, rice, seasoned chickpeas, asparagus, and a baked potato

All food from work

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dug into a tub of potato salad because it's easier than actually cooking something. Mixed some tuna and mayo together as well for a sandwich.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm half in the bag now so I'll probably order a pizza. Toppers, which is a Wisconsin and maybe some other midwest states company. I'm trying to make a white pizza but they don't have an alfredo sauce so I'll need ranch sauce (:smith:) chicken, spinach, roasted garlic. Probably some Topper Sticks, which is just basically a breadstick with cheese, and some Nashville hot chicken wings with bleu cheese. Well it's a pizza chain so blue cheese.

I will eat about 20% of it max and put the rest in my fridge for 3 days while it slowly goes bad.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
No pictures but I made a cold salad out of some chinese noodles, broccoli rabe, spinach, onions and some peppers coated in a vinegarette made from orange juice, ginger, rice vinegar, lime juice, soy sauce, grapeseed oil and a dried chile. poo poo was, frankly, off the gad damned chain. The broccoli rabe and spinach were fresh from my garden too making them even more delicious.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Dollar tacos from the local place. The salsa bar was closed for over a year but now it's open again. I don't know if it's hygienic but I'm gonna eat hell of chips and salsa tonight.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

sub sandwich from local place

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I did a recipe from the Bob's Burgers cookbook (A Good Manchego is Hard to Find) in bulk cause my gf had her friends over to our place for the first time since everyone's all vaxxed up.

The meat itself I did Ina Garten style, kosher salt and fresh crushed peppercorns with ground mustard powder mixed right into the meat, patties in the freezer for 15 minutes, then right into a cast iron skillet.

Melted manchego over the burgs, topped them with shallots I caramelized low and slow in butter for like 20 minutes, arugula, and fig jam.

now I gotta cook for the group more often lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I made a Crunchwrap Supreme from Taco Bell

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I made a Crunchwrap Supreme from Taco Bell

I'm getting home late so grabbing some In and Out and the line is about 20 cars deep.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I made a quick pizza dough and cooked it in the cast iron. Pepperoni, red pepper, and green onion. Was pretty good.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ate about 20 oysters and an unknown number of clams

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

its all nice on rice posted:

I made a quick pizza dough and cooked it in the cast iron. Pepperoni, red pepper, and green onion. Was pretty good.

Tell me how you did this plz

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kazr posted:

don't know how that goon did it, but I've made some really quick "dough" with just eggs and flour. Throw in a few spices and its pretty good stuff.

PinheadSlim posted:

I ordered a banh mi and my partner got pot stickers
BUT THEN THEY SAID THEY COULDN'T MAKE THE BANH MI

Perhaps you should post a Banh Mi thread.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Ziv Zulander posted:

Potato salad, rice, seasoned chickpeas, asparagus, and a baked potato

All food from work

Hot update: I microwaved a veggie burger while on my lunch break

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

kazr posted:

With a wooden spoon, mix flour, salt, sugar, rapid rise yeast, olive oil, and warm water in a bowl. Add more flour until a smooth, yet slightly sticky dough forms. Roll the dough into a ball, coat it in olive oil, place it in a bowl/container/whatever and let it rise for ~30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425F.
"Punch" the dough down, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead it lightly for about 30 seconds. Stretch it by hand or rolling pin to around 12 inches.
The recipe I used called for a pizza pan and parchment paper, but I like using my cast iron for pizza.
If you're using a regular pizza pan: put some parchment paper over it and dust with cornmeal.
If you're using a cast iron skillet: oil the bottom and sides with olive oil.
Move the dough to your cooking surface. Sauce, cheese, top it, and put in oven until golden brown and delicious.

I had to turn the temp to 450 up after about 15 minutes. My oven is gas, and it sucks at keeping temperature/cooking evenly. The cold cast iron also increased the cooking time.

Let it sit for several minutes before slicing.

I use bread flour. All purpose works too.

E: I usually do an even easier pan pizza once a week, but it takes a day to rise, and this was a last minute decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Perhaps you should post a Banh Mi thread.

I will when I'm less drunk and more full of banh mi. GBS needs a good sandwich thread