Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Awesome thread idea, OP! I'll be experimenting later - gonna try turkey jambalaya. I'll post pics in a couple of hours.

Here's Chicken Tikka I made last month. I also posted the recipe in GWS a month ago and not one single person has replied to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Nooner posted:

I replied so you wouldnt have a no response thread :kiddo:

Enjoy your AIDS.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

20 Blunts posted:

looks nice. checked out your recipe. i see you put the chicken in at the end, and so it cooks up in the sauce then?

i like to make big chicken & lentil stews in the style of "curry" and i always debate with myself how to incorporate the meat.

like should i get the chicken good and brown, then set it aside, build up the curry and then throw the chicken back in as the lentils cook?

or should I blast the chicken so it browns right away in the pan, turn the heat down a bit, incorporate my onion/garlic/ginger/spices in the chicken juices, then build up the sauce and simmer everything?

Thanks!!! Been waiting a month for someone to say something.

As for when to add the chicken? It really depends on the curry and how the chicken has been marinated. [EDIT] Sorry, I was in a hurry. If you've had the chicken marinating in yoghurt for a while and it's going into a thick curry or if the curry is thick and creamy, stew the chicken and don't fry it. If it's a curry that's in any way dry or depends on dried spices as a base then fry the chicken instead of stewing it. That's my opinion anyway, I'm no expert.

I'm starting to cook a vaguely jambalaya thing right now. Pics soon.

EDIT: Okay, dinner is over and what was originally planned as jambalaya is now a turkey and ham pilaf. I'm feeding two mid 60's boomers with high blood pressure so no chorizo.

I looked around the pantry and found basmati rice - so pilaf.

Valko fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 10, 2021

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'd love to see more cooking from an Irishman. Or anyone not from the US I guess. I have a big American Irish family. My mom's family had 9 kids and they all have hilariously stereotypical names. My mom has been there twice and she wants to take me next time. I'm sure it's not that different from here but I like seeing stuff about different countries. :3:

You are the Irish guy right? Am I just talking out of my rear end? Again?

Yeah, that's me. From the north.

Unfortunately I don't really do a lot of traditional Irish cooking because blaaaaaaaannnndddd. Also, not very photogenic. I do like to get exotic recipes and recreate them with what little variety of stuff there is here, though.

Oh, about sterotypical names? My parents were crazy. I could tell you the names of myself and my siblings but you'd think I was joking.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

My gf made a bimbobop

Yeah, that's the good stuff right there. Finding out new recipes is what i like about these threads. That looks like ground beef. That's what I've got and I'm on dinner duty tonight and I do NOT want to make another loving shepards pie.

Pictures later, maybe.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I was left with instructions to make dinner but as I said, not ANOTHER freaking shepherds pie. I made like a bolognese sauce type thing and instead make a potato bake out of it.

Fun times slicing up hot par-boiled potatoes. Ouch.

It was a bit underwhelming TBH. I think if I made a bechamel sauce and poured that over the top before baki9ng in the oven this would be an instant classic.

Eh, as far as experimental kitchen disasters go, this was still edible.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

This isn't the best photo, with the steak juice running into the stilton sauce. Tasted drat good though.

It's a bit overdone for my tastes but nothing beats meat cooked over a fire.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

This:

I must have one of these.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I haven't posted in here in a while. I've been mostly posting my cooking pics in the 5000 page thread. They seem to be talking about videogames now so I'll just post it here.

Shepherd's pie with a side of roast potatoes and some tenderstem broccoli. Gravy in the background I haven't poured over it yet.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

nexous posted:

Looks good tho I question the side of potatoes with shepherd's pie

I'm Irish.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

gleebster posted:

That is a spud heavy plate. Not that either of the spuds look bad, just that there's a whole lot of them. Nice broccoli, hadn't heard of the variety before. Have to keep my eyes open for it.

Yeah, that broccoli is good stuff. I thought it would be great for stir frys and stuff but it isn't really. 'Tender stem' is a bit of a misnomer. It's not tender unless it's steamed.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Looks great! I love shepard's pie.

Ah, man. Not you too! I don't dislike shepherds pie, I just find it boring. And it's the one thing that everyone asks for if I offer to cook.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I want to make shepherd’s pie pie. That is, a shepherd’s pie with an actual pie crust.

Try cornish pasties. Mince meat and vegetables (including potatoes) in a pastry pocket.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Goddamn. It's been a while since I posted in here but all these pics look amazing. Especially that Steak and the Mackerel in Tomato sauce. I made a Jalfrezi.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chicken-jalfrezi

I modified the recipe by using padron peppers instead of bell. A lot more chillies, mushrooms* and a bashed lemon grass stick. I had no coriander leaf. Also ginger.

Sauce first. It'll be blended together when finished.

Threw the 'shrooms in several minutes before finishing with some garam masala.

It's going in the fridge for now. My aunt is coming for dinner and this is too spicy for her. Curry is always better the day after anyway. Taste tested it and it was gooood.

*Mushrooms in Jalfrezi are not traditional. My favourite Indian restauraunt is this place called Mama Masala. They put mushrooms in their Jalfrezi and it was like a revelation for me. They do Italian and Indian food but I don't think anyone ever eats the Italian stuff. They probably do a brisk trade in takeaway pizzas downstairs though.
https://www.facebook.com/MamaMasala/

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

EightFlyingCars posted:

Threw together a red lentil dal, it's kinda wild how quickly it comes together in a pressure cooker. nothing special with the spices, just some curry spice blend, a blend of ground peppers, and some chicken bouillon powder. ezpz

MMmmmm. Lentils.

I made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUUuJJRgUmM

Spanish lentil stew. Easy, cheap, filling and healthy. Might add some meat next time but I think a fried egg on top would work just as well.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Jam - ba - lay - a!

TBH, I'm probably doing it wrong. Most cooking shows I watch on youtube call for making a roux - which I never do. I've been using the same recipe for almost 15 years and it's always worked well.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

drk posted:

Made a very nice vegan curry from scratch this afternoon

Hmm. Is that tofu or paneer?

I made this.

Veal saltibocca with mixed veg, roast cherry tomatoes, creamy mash, garlic roast potatoes and white wine sauce.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The Bloop posted:

Double tater

I was cooking for 4 people. One of them won't eat mash because he hates the texture. He doesn't like pasta either (unless it's orzo). He'll eat chunky broth but not blended soups. Hell, a few nights ago we had Spaghetti Bolognese which he had on top of roast potatoes.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Not really dinner, I just raided the fridge and larder and improvised something for supper. The yeast tub with '5' written on top is Chinese five spice.

I threw a handful of frozen sweetcorn in it and some sriracha and vinegar for colour and flavour.

I had a can of sliced bamboo shoots that might have worked well in it but it probably would have crowded the pot. If I had cracked a raw egg into the bowl before pouring the soup in it would have made a great hangover cure. I wish I had a bowl of this a couple of weeks ago, the morning after my birthday.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

nexous posted:

Looks great. I’d eat that

I made this and it was incredible
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a28414419/orecchiette-pasta-with-broccoli-rabe-recipe/

Would use more broccoli rabe it was the best part

Yeah, that does look good and my mom would love it (apart from the andouille). I'll have to cook it for her sometime, maybe with some leaner meat - like smoked mackerel.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

You're an idiot.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I went out for dinner for the first time in forever. I was at an Indian restaurant and had the Achari curry with lamb. First I've ever heard of it, it's a north Indian dish made with the same spices they use to make Indian pickles. It was a great day, the dining room was on the second floor with a view over the River Foyle. I saw three dolphins leaping about in it.

Sorry, no pics.

I'm just back and I'm looking up recipes for Achari. Unfortunately like most curries there are as many recipes as there are cooks. I'll post pics of my efforts in the next few days.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Did they let you look in the larder at the Indian restaurant?

You're an idiot.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Worf posted:

You're a larder

You're an insufferable idiot.

Nooner posted:

You're a subject of the Crown

You're still an idiot.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You're the love of my life

You're okay, my friend.

I always suspected the creepy permabanned sexpest got away with it for so long because some of the mods and admins were protecting him.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The Bloop posted:

What crawled up your larderass and died

You're an idiot.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Thats a larder posts, maybe don't get so mad about getting gently ribbed

Eh, you're not so bad but...

:ssh:You're an idiot.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I've got better things to do than this and I've had a looooong day.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Main course, borscht.

Dessert.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Why don't you have scrambled brains on toast for your breakfast tomorrow? Your own, just slap yourself on the side of the head and they'll fall out of your ear.

Then go sit in the corner and suck your thumb and cry, with your dunce cap on. Because you're a special boy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Pretty drat tasty in a casserole with bacon, carrots and onions. I had some fluffy Golden Wonder potatoes along with it.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

His Divine Shadow posted:

Pea soup from scratch using split peas, bacon and carrots.

Pea soup never looks good but I'm sure it tasted great.

I had the idea of making egg roll in a bowl with half a leftover cabbage. I couldn't get into town today so no minced pork. I started off making a vegetable stir fry.

I had some other things I needed to use up, like a beef tomato that was going soft. So I added chicken broth, tomato paste, hot sauce, vinegar and a couple of spoonfuls of quinoa. I ended up with some sort of hot 'n sour vegetable soup.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I made fried rice. I took a bag of peas out of the freezer. There were only a few left covered in a bit of crushed ice. I put them in a sieve and ran them under the tap. When I went to collect them they looked like this:

Anyway, this is mushroom, ham, carrot, brocolli stem and ramiro pepper egg fried rice:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

AKZ posted:

how long did you chill and dry the rice for?

I didn't. I know the general consensus is to use day old rice but I used freshly cooked basmati. It was dry enough, I cooked it using the pilaf method.

I know you're not supposed to use basmati for fried rice either because it's so delicate but I love the stuff so much.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Curried B-Squash Soup.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

My last post was misleading. It was lunch, not dinner.

I made sweet and sour chicken.

Breaded chicken chunks are baking in the oven while I make the sauce.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Chicken Fajita (?)

Yes, I put mushrooms in my fajita mix. Also diced tomato and cucumber as a garnish. It's sitting on top of two slices of cheddar and the white goop is low fat mayo because the sour cream I had had gone moldy.

No, I'm not Mexican or even American, why do you ask?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

Scallops and garlic bread and pee purée

Serious question, do you cook professionally or something?

I made chicken jambalaya with diced ham and chorizo. Normally I use Uncle Bens easy cook rice because that way you get good absorption. You just need to use equal parts liquid and rice and it usually comes out perfect. I changed it up this time by using basmati and cooking it like plov/pilaf. I was a bit worried after I took the lid off after 10mins and saw there was still a fair amount of liquid. I stirred in the parsley and let it rest for another 10mins off the heat and it came out perfect. It may be the best pot of jambalaya I've ever made.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Oh jesus, what the gently caress am I doing. This is so unhealthy. I made Coddle

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

a sexual elk posted:

Inspired me, fridge was almost empty so just used what I had on hand. Yukons, few baby carrots, onion and some country sausage. Made mini sausage balls and browned em up a bit.

But A+, would make again. Just need to start saving up to buy a pack of bacon.

Mmm. That looks almost exactly like a modern Irish Stew only with pork meatballs. I'll have to try that sometime. I will not be making my coddle recipe again anytime soon. I don't know what possessed me to put white pudding in it. It was fine when it was fresh out of the pot but the leftovers have been in the fridge for (?) days now and the pudding has gone soggy and the broth has congealed with all the pork fat.

The rest of my family are health nuts and won't touch the stuff. I've got one portion left that I'm going to choke down tonight, then it's healthy for the next week. As soon as I get a chance I'll show off my Thai red curry.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

pro starcraft loser posted:

I'm sorry, how is Coddle unhealthy compared to....anything?

In my version I had white pudding (basically pig fat and oats with spices), smoked bacon that I didn't cut the rind off and a pound of pork and leek sausages. It's was all fried in a pan, then onions and leeks fried in the fond.

My dad has high cholesterol, diabetes and a quadruple bypass. He's also on warfarin. He had some genetic quirk where one of his ventricles is smaller than it should be.

Every health problem he's got I'm at risk of too. He might be 66 but I'm now 40. I've got to be more careful.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I made a big batch of thai red curry paste. Made two chicken curries so far, made one with pork last night and I still have enough left to make another.

The shallots I used were too big and the dry chillies were sort of burgundy or maroon instead of red. I had to cheat by adding some fresh red chilli. Otherwise it was thai brown curry paste.

Since I'm using pork it was slow roasted in the oven for 2 hours.

Egg noodles and roast potatoes. Doesn't look pretty but tasted great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Lol

"Balls & Stuff"

Seriously, though. Looks good.