Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The most reassuring thing about AotD in regards to the genre is everyone involved seems extremely aware of how much its been done to death and set out with the goal of making something that pushes the genre in new directions.

Im sure it will have a lot of elements of other zombie pieces of media that go outside the norm but I get the distinct feeling this takes a sort of fantasy approach to the "Undead" with a scifi twist given the origin of the virus being tied to Area 51.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Roman posted:

Could maybe end up being a Ghosts of Mars type thing?

My theory is some kind of crashed alien ship carries the infection to Earth or an intelligent microbial alien species that takes over planets via infection and spread similar to Symbiotes, etc. .

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

His comments about "being ready for a movie like that" in regards to the small drama Horse Latitudes hes been trying to make are really funny because he has almost taken the complete opposite path as most filmmakers who start making smaller movies and then get to helm some huge blockbuster as an accomplishment.

Theres an interesting respect he shows the skill it takes to make a good small dramatic film by showing his skill in making massive blockbusters doesnt neccessarily meam thats some kind of peak to reach as a filmmaker.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Well this absolutely rocked. Just a tightly woven mash of so many different genres to create something very familiar but also very unique in the genre and all with that Snyder touch. I actually really did not expect the heel turn to be centered around getting the head for the purpose of creating and controlling a zombie army. It adds a cool stakes to this that kind of marries Romero with Resident Evil which sets up the franchise potential....and thats before the alien poo poo even comes into play

On that note...you definitely see two UFOs zoom away from Area 51 right at the beginning right? It happened so fast it was hard to catch.

I am very curious what the alien connection is to all of this.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the very first things in the movie is the military convoy rolling out from Area 51 with a couple of incongruous lights in the sky, that zip off in different directions unnoticed.

There are also robot zombies with glowing blue eyes and metal skeletons and Snyder confirmed it in an interview. Theres a lot of wacky directions they could take this.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read this thread. This movie was excruciatingly boring and predictable. It wasn't even that nice to look at!

People like different things. Wowzer.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I think not providing explicit closure to Geeta was a definitely a choice that I understand mechanically but ultimately I think was not the best choice. They extend the movies plot specifically to rescue her and while I get they wanted the focus of that to be more on regards to Scott and Kates relationship it would have served the point better to at least have a brief moment with whatever was left of Geetas body. Even just a moment where Kate sees her and laments before she sees Scott.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

On a second watch this movie is probably my 2nd least favorite Snyder film but I still really enjoy it. Its just all over the place with dialogue and plot beats and loses me occasionally but I still love the cast and set up and world and action.

I honestly think Snyders biggest weakness is being too close to material and doing too much himself. Its the same issues with Sucker Punch for me.

I think hes a legendarily skilled director in his ability to assemble and manage an insane crew of talented creators from screenwriters to VFX supervisors to composers and to make these stylistically and thematically rich films and when he gets too close to the scripts things get a little muddled.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zack Snyder rewrote this movie with another person after the initial script was finished by a different person. He has been praised for his open minded collaborative nature by every writer who has worked with him. The Chris Terrio interview elaborates on this a lot.

This movie was shopped around in script format and pitched to Netflix, its a completely original Netflix production, not a distributor acquisition.

It is super super weird and pathetic to make a film director who has done nothing but make movies you dont like into some kind of villain and creatively abusive person based on nothing but a projection that is contradictory to everything anyone whose ever worked with him has said.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He did make some money though and that's not great but...yeah. I honestly am kind of confused about the level of scrutiny this is getting. It was far more noxious when the dude was on Dancing With The Stars, actually getting Hollywood to help rehabilitate him.

Also last week Snyder came clean point blank about his politics:

He's a fairly typical Hollywood limo liberal.

Someone earlier in the thread insisted the zombie baby in this reinforced Snyder being "pro-life".

Lol.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 24, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

bees everywhere posted:

I just finished watching this and I regret it, I was expecting Dawn of the Dead but this was more Resident Evil. I'm sure a lot of people like the mindless formulaic stuff but there were just too many plot holes and idiot characters for me.

Also maybe I'm alone here but I thought the way the actors played the super zombies was just comical, they were like stray cats crawling around and hissing.

This is absolutely why I get a lot of peoples problems with it and partially why I both love a lot and disliked a lot of the movie. I do enjoy the zaney RE take on the zombies and the dumb fun vibe of a lot of the movie but a lot of the plotting and pacing suffers from the same mindset.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

bees everywhere posted:

I was annoyed at how Chambers died, because it seemed like the whole crew was 20 feet away with their weapons at the ready but nobody fired a shot and they just stood there watching her. Either run away or shoot the zombies, people!

Guzman does fire one shot but very hesitantly and carefully so it seemed like they were afraid shed get shot as well? That part is a bit unclear as to how many zombies were inbetween them and her to make it seem like a lost cause.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

Lastly, someone brought up again that Van had a big Omega sign tattoo on his chest I think, which I somehow never noticed. I might bump this movie up a point or two if someone can convincingly make the case for how this is Snyder saying something about his time with DC. Superhuman "alien" creature, with red cape, visual symbolism intented to evoke a godlike quality about him, repeated scenes of him being "bulletproof" (the metal mask they kept showing), opposing a buff adversary with Omega theming... like, there are clearly some unusual similarities popping up here that I lack the context to place, but I'm not averse to the idea that he's got at least one coherent, consistent theme running throughout that might give me something to latch onto. I get that there are lots of other themes, as has been discussed, but they mostly feel scattershot and underbaked, to me.

Its a brand Omari got in a frat and has nothing to do with Snyder. Its just a coincidence.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Someone brought up earlier in the thread you couldn't possibly get that much money out on the helicopter, but Snyder did mention in an interview on Justin Longs podcast they actually did the math on the weight and fuel requirements before they determined how much they would be going for.

I dont think the plan was to get the entire load of cash shown in the vault out, they clearly brought a fixed number of duffle bags that would fit the $200mil.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Quote =/= edit

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Tbh Im sure there were a lot of reasons Snyder used the rehoused Canon Dream Lenses but Im also pretty sure he saw an opportunity with Netflix hands off approach to experiment and gently caress around with his first time shooting on digital and for better or worse he took a risk and it worked and didnt work for the audience.

I really respect the fact we have a director of his level who takes formal risks like that on a somewhat formulaic movie in a genre you wouldnt really expect that in, its pretty rare simply because of the costs involved incase it doesnt land with audiences.

Not an entirely successful experiment but I value his willingness to try it at all.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I kinda hope this franchise goes the way of F&F where theres a relatively "held back" starter movie that drops a lot of seeds and will seem quaint in comparison to the absolutely bonkers directions it goes. For all its faults I do think it lays the foundation for a lot of filmmakers like Matthias to have some fun in without it having to be too overly concerned with a tight continuity or box office obligations.

I get peoples frustrations with the seemingly random things he sprinkles throughout the film and I get disagreeing with that formula of franchise making, but Im on board for the wide net they cast to make films within this IP.

I already really like that theyre doing a total departure from zombies with the upcoming Army of Theives.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 25, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

The robot zombies, the baby, and UFOs are post credits stingers placed in the beginning/middle of a film. Snyder clearly has a penchant for dropping random bits of franchise/world building in the meat of his films as opposed to post credits and it definitely rubs some people the wrong way but Ive always enjoyed that quirk about his methodology.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah he definitely squandered his goodwill and reputation with one of his most well reviewed films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

The Cameo posted:

Imagine having a stalled career, lashing out against one of the most influential movies of all time to try to get one over on a guy who has succeeded, and then an Oscar winner just traipses by and absolutely bodies you by just going “nah”

Its especially funny because she works in editing for animation so getting dunked on by the director of Spiderverse is a huuuuge professional embarrassment.