Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I live in Vermont and literally nothing has happened here and nothing has changed. I don't think anybody even noticed there's a gas shortage

come get our gas, I guess is what I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i watched a clip on foxnews and they implied the government was lying about there not being a gas shortage and used stations running out of gas due to panic buying as an example but didn't mention it was because of panic buying. then they had the governor of arkansas on and he was all like "see we need more pipelines and less regulation but biden doesnt love america enough" and that's why people are filling up garbage bags with gas.

Chuds on Facebook are already claiming the pipe hacking was an inside job

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Christ people are so loving stupid. Last night there were only a few stations near me that were out of gas.

Fired up GasBuddy this morning and every loving station within like 10 miles of me is out of gas.

Over 10 goddamn hours after it was announced that the pipeline is going to get back up and running :bang:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

poverty goat posted:

I'm in VA and I have gas

Take a beano.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You wouldn't have this problem if you had a horse buddy. I'm kinda half wishing that the repair crew fucks up and puts the pipeline out of commission permanently, it'll be a glorious victory in the war on cars

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really it's pretty hosed up the supply of something that the country relies on as much as gasoline is so incredibly fragile... Like how many tax dollars did this company pocket to build a pipeline but not even put any backup systems in place?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Wait till you hear about the electrical infrastructure or all the bridges lmao

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljwUlY9WW1I

Type some description here as elements, maybe type about your projects a little bit. I have nothing to

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I work for a giant company that makes really basic, important things, and last Monday (literally my first day after converting from a contractor) the entire international operation shut down & went into a tailspin because of a hack. They're blowing through ungodly amounts of money applying workarounds and hiring new staff to get things back running and I'm just sitting here, confused, waiting for my severance letter once everything calms down enough for them to refocus on reducing expenses and leaning departments to compensate for the financial hit they took patching holes in the boat.

Now I can't even get gas (because of ANOTHER hack) so that I can kill myself by driving my car into an internet café (I assume these are where hackers live). Don't let cyberpunk enthusiasts tell you the dystopia will be stylish and cool. It's mainly just a crappier version of the 90s where you you lose your job because a janitor in Brussels was a domain admin for some reason and a guy at the bar traded him wine for his login credentials.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Yaldabaoth posted:

Reality is getting way too similar to cyberpunk.

all of the cyber, none of the punk

Bad Purchase posted:

Solution: keep your critical infrastructure equipment off any network that is connected to the internet.

Their pipe goes from houston to NY and has control points all the way along that need to connect to a central control system. What are they gonna do, run an ethernet cable for their private LAN? Yes, A whole shitload of important companies have terrible network security that they absolutely need to fix. But it isn't as easy as pulling the cable that connects WOPR to the internet.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Klyith posted:

Their pipe goes from houston to NY and has control points all the way along that need to connect to a central control system. What are they gonna do, run an ethernet cable for their private LAN? Yes, A whole shitload of important companies have terrible network security that they absolutely need to fix. But it isn't as easy as pulling the cable that connects WOPR to the internet.

This is exactly how pipelines worked before the internet being everywhere, so..... yes?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Klyith posted:

They could grab some morse code experts and hit the pipeline with hammers, creating a relay.

How's that for an airgap?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

you can still smoke when you're hoarding gas right

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Hotmmer

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I remember the great Texas gas "shortage" or 2017. I think the internet has a way of really exacerbating this, because it can cause rushes that aren't necessary.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wait till you hear about the electrical infrastructure or all the bridges lmao

https://twitter.com/KATVAlex/status/1392540161058168837?s=20

There were some people saying "make sure you buy gas" during the shortage and I'm in Texas where there's no shortage whatsoever.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Luxrage posted:

There were some people saying "make sure you buy gas" during the shortage and I'm in Texas where there's no shortage whatsoever.

thats kind of concerning i guess but not as concerning as THE CLOWN IN THE WHITE HOUSE trying to pass DEBT to my CHILDREN and GRANCHILDREN to pay to fix it. My GRANDCHILDREN

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

The fact that it's a hummer gives it an even stronger "Death of the American Dream" vibe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Much of the fragility is that gas distributors aren't in the business of delivering extra gas so any small demand bump is gonna empty out stations when their last mile delivery can't cope. I'd probably blame this as much on the labor shortage because truck drivers are getting pretty scarce but I don't have visibility into any/every gas delivery network around.

The preppers of all people probably have the right idea to fix this. You should probably own a couple weeks to a months worth of gas which may include several jerry cans depending how much you use.

This is very money intensive and opens up a whole new can of worms for the financially vulnerable filling up with just enough gas to get then to their next pay check.

Disasters happen with or without computers. Personal and social support networks need to be able to deal with nearly any technology just stopping for a few days.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Klyith posted:

Their pipe goes from houston to NY and has control points all the way along that need to connect to a central control system. What are they gonna do, run an ethernet cable for their private LAN?

Yes, exactly, you've got it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zedprime posted:

Much of the fragility is that gas distributors aren't in the business of delivering extra gas so any small demand bump is gonna empty out stations when their last mile delivery can't cope. I'd probably blame this as much on the labor shortage because truck drivers are getting pretty scarce but I don't have visibility into any/every gas delivery network around.

The preppers of all people probably have the right idea to fix this. You should probably own a couple weeks to a months worth of gas which may include several jerry cans depending how much you use.

This is very money intensive and opens up a whole new can of worms for the financially vulnerable filling up with just enough gas to get then to their next pay check.

Disasters happen with or without computers. Personal and social support networks need to be able to deal with nearly any technology just stopping for a few days.

Hint: The preppers never have it right.

If everyone followed the old maxim from driver's ed about how you should fill your tank when it gets to a quarter-full, virtually everyone would have more than enough gas to last them through any of these short-term shocks.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Luxrage posted:

Ummm I hate to tell you this but that is not a crack. Trust me I've seen a lot of cracks in my life. It's completely separated.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LanceHunter posted:

Hint: The preppers never have it right.

If everyone followed the old maxim from driver's ed about how you should fill your tank when it gets to a quarter-full, virtually everyone would have more than enough gas to last them through any of these short-term shocks.
You're agreeing with me in concept if not amount. But not everybody has a routine where a 1/4 tank can last them a week or get them far enough back to a working society after a disaster (although maybe we'd all be a lot better off if they did).

I don't personally own jerry cans of gas because I definitely don't need that much gas. It's an option that should be exercised for people who do.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
How much do you want to bet that there’s a non-insignificant number of assholes hoarding gas in unsafe containers that refused the COVID vaccine for being “dangerous.”

Also, just lol at having to drive every day. Live in a city like a real person.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The solution is to ban computers from the pipeline. All of it will now be controlled by mentats absolutely whacked out of their minds on K2 spice.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
two funny things - the hack didn't shut down the pipeline per se, it just prevented them from billing people

also they ended up paying $5m ransom to the hackers, so i'm sure they learned their lesson and this won't keep happening

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Biological pipeline that's just a miles long sphincter of an obese mentat

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
So apparently these idiots paid 5 million dollars to the hax0rs which guarantees plenty of follow up attacks

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/1392847175693049865

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

blasting killin in the name of turning it up when he starts going "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me" while i hoard all the gas in leak free glades scented trash bags

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Tato posted:

The solution is to ban computers from the pipeline. All of it will now be controlled by mentats absolutely whacked out of their minds on K2 spice.

detroit shamans ingesting petroleum to create awareness spectrum narcotics for gasoline orgies.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

So apparently these idiots paid 5 million dollars to the hax0rs which guarantees plenty of follow up attacks

i thought the petroleum industry was supposed to be tough, merciless even. i mean if you own an oil pipeline you should be able to hire a hit squad to crucify some greasy eastern european hackers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i thought the petroleum industry was supposed to be tough, merciless even. i mean if you own an oil pipeline you should be able to hire a hit squad to crucify some greasy eastern european hackers.
You would bust into an office of a dozen illiterate drunks hunched around a Dendy duct taped to a 56k modem. On your way out an obvious Russian intelligence plant winks at you from across the street.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Koch Brothers announce new partnership with Gazprom in an unrelated story several russian neckbeards have gone missing

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

While you all partied in your drivers-ed I studied the 5k

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Supreme Allah posted:

I know bitcoin is supposed to be "anonymous" but isn't it actually ridiculously easy to track and they'll probably find the people responsible?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Bitcoin is very easy to track if you don’t take precautions and have a safe and relatively anonymous way to convert it into actual currency. While very large amounts could be a problem it’s probably not super hard to re-anonymize a few million for a moderate cut. Criminal hacker groups have very good opsec or they wouldn’t last long.

There’s a great episode of I don’t speak German where they talk about tracking nazis via Bitcoin because their opsec sucks.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know bitcoin is supposed to be "anonymous" but isn't it actually ridiculously easy to track and they'll probably find the people responsible?

Im sure they have a pretty good idea of whose responsible but you cant do much if they're sitting in a non extradition country

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Update - was able to get gas. Crisis is winding down. Currently considering learning how to hack servers in a country with no extradition treaty with the US and demand bitcoin ransoms in poultry farms or something benign... Seems like easy money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Bitcoin is very easy to track if you don’t take precautions and have a safe and relatively anonymous way to convert it into actual currency. While very large amounts could be a problem it’s probably not super hard to re-anonymize a few million for a moderate cut. Criminal hacker groups have very good opsec or they wouldn’t last long.

There’s a great episode of I don’t speak German where they talk about tracking nazis via Bitcoin because their opsec sucks.

Touching bitcoin at all is poor opsec, which is why all the criminal groups use Monero.