Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Thousand Year Old Vampire

The blood of ages flows so sweet. Come, drink from us!

Thousand Year Old Vampire is a (normally) solo RPG by Tim Hutchings and Petit Guignol games in which one player depicts the unlife and history of one immortal vampire. After creating the vampire's mortal life and the details of their new supernatural identity, a series of randomly generated writing prompts guides the vampire through centuries worth of Experiences. The player records these Experiences as Memories, but the mind was not equipped for immortality, and as the centuries pass it becomes a struggle for the vampire to separate the past from the present. Our vampire will also content with the struggles of the outer world as well as the inner world, fighting to dominate the intrigues of both Mortals and fellow Immortals that cross their path.

Will our vampire reign for eternity as a master of the night, or succumb to the whims of entropy? Let's find out together!

The Basics: From Cradle to Grave

This will work a lot like a CYOA book; it will be an LP of a solo RPG. I will lead the charge in creating the vampire and determining the range of prompts, but anyone is free to jump in and play by suggesting from the list of chosen Prompts.

The thread will also work a bit as a review of the game itself. If you enjoy, or are curious about, solo RPGs or gothic horror, TYOV is a fantastic addition to your RPG library. You can get it on pdf, but I highly recommend the hardcover. The book is designed like a beautifully-crafted scrapbook; it is a work of art as well as a great game. You can purchase it here at https://thousandyearoldvampire.com/!

The vampire creation and story unfolding process is mainly narrative-based, which gives the player lots of leeway to craft whatever type of vampire they wish in terms of vampiric traits, powers, weaknesses, etc. However, for the purposes of the game, TYOV does make some basic assumptions about the vampire:

- They were once human, and still have human needs in one sense or another

- They are immortal; they can be destroyed by outside influences, but will otherwise exist till the end of time.

- They must feed upon human beings in some way to sustain their existence; generally it's assumed they drink blood, but you can use some other physical or ephemeral substance (flesh, brain fluid, breath, life force, mental energy, heartbeats, etc.). Because I love the classics, I'm going to have our vampire crave blood.

- They should seek to conceal themselves among who they feed.

- They have some form of environmental weakness that makes getting around by normal means difficult. Normally this is assumed to be sunlight, but you can also choose something else if you wish (rain, starlight, water, presence of flowers, etc.) Going to go classic once again and use sunlight as our weakness.

- They should be mostly a loner

- And...

Thousand Year Old Vampire posted:

The Prompts in Thousand Year Old Vampire are not necessarily geared toward complex political machinations between factions of immortal beings.
Translation: This ain't Vampire: The Masquerade, bub!

What is a Man but a Miserable Pile of Secrets?!?

We start our vampire by creating their first Memory of their mortal life. Since the game is called Thousand Year Old Vampire, we'll assume our vampire was born somewhere in the distant year of 1021 CE. Some questions will be multiple choice, others short answer questions that can be elaborated a little more.

To determine the basics, let's answer these questions...

1: What is our vampire's gender?
A: Male (he/him)
B: Female (she/her)
C: Nonbinary (they/them)

2: Where was our vampire born?
A: North America
B: South/Central America
C: Europe
D: Africa
E: Asia
F: Australia

3: What was our vampire's profession/social class in life?

Feel free to post and give your suggestions and I'll pick the best ones.

... but enough talk! HAVE AT YOU!!!

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B/B/Priestess

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
B + E + Silk Weaver

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gothic Rite posted:

B + E + Silk Weaver
I like this. Classy, but hands-on. Agreed.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gothic Rite posted:

B + E + Silk Weaver

This

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
1A2F Basket Weaver

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Gothic Rite posted:

B + E + Silk Weaver

This

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

whoops

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 18, 2022

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

A merchant from far away who wishes to buy something we made.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Our father; after his most recent scandal, we finally disavowed him rather than risk losing our own position.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Dong no-last-name, the local degenerate alcoholic with a heart of gold.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
A bandit that we provided court gossip to.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The stable master taught her how to ride a horse but always looked surprisingly young

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Thousand Year Old Vampire

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

A merchant from far away who wishes to buy something we made.

quote:

Our father; after his most recent scandal, we finally disavowed him rather than risk losing our own position.

quote:

Dong no-last-name, the local degenerate alcoholic with a heart of gold.

I like all those options, and I can blend in some stuff we got from the other posters too.

Now we can make important Mortals in Xiao's life...

character sheet posted:

Xiao Ximu (1021 CE - ?)

Memories

1. I am Xiao Ximu, a silk weaver from the Imperial court of Emperor Renzong of the Song Dynasty; even among the other court weavers, my work is known for its delicate beauty.

Mortals

Dong: A local degenerate alcoholic with a heart of gold; he taught me how to ride a horse and do other activities restricted to men, in return for me bringing him bottles of baijiu from the imperial cellars.

Symeon: A trader from distant Byzantium, pressuring me to sell him silkworms to bring to his homeland; wealthy and arrogant.

Li Shao Ren: My father, banished from the royal court after losing face in front of the emperor; lives on the outskirts of Kaifeng as a bandit now.

Immortals
?

Skills
?
Resources
?
Marks
?

Now to further build our Memories, we must select Skills and Resources...

TYOV on Skills posted:

Skills describe the capabilities
and characteristics of your
vampire. They indicate what
your vampire can do and what
they might do. Swordplay,
Relaxing Banter, Operate Heavy
Machinery, I Do Not Blink The
Sand Away
, and I Teach the
Nanissáanah
are all acceptable
Skills. When instructed to record
a new Skill you should relate it
to the content of the Prompt.

What will it feel like for a
vampire to use a Skill tied to a
Memory that has been long lost?

Some Prompts will instruct
you to check a Skill. To do
this, place a checkmark (*) next to
that skill on your record sheet.
Mechanically, this indicates
that the Skill has been used.
Narratively, a checked Skill gives
you something to flavor your
answers to later Prompts.

If unchecked Skills are what your
vampire is capable of, checked
Skills are what they have done.
They are a part of your vampire’s
being—they are who the vampire
is. Of course, it is entirely
possible that your vampire might
have Skills that you do not want
to check. Instead of fighting
this, revel in the plight of your
humane vampire when they go to
help a friend out of a bureaucratic
jam and find that the only Skill
they can check is Rage and Kill
You may only check a Skill once.
If you are instructed to lose
a Skill, strike it out—it is gone
and no longer influences the
way your vampire moves through
the world.

For now we will be selecting Skills in the realm of mortal possibility, but later we can select supernatural abilities (Ex. Shapeshifting, Hypnosis, Blood Magick, Astral Travel, etc.) as Skills too.

TYOV on Resources posted:

Resources are assets or
structures that are useful to your
vampire, or items that they value.
Knightly equipage, a loyal imp,
a diamond tiara, the Castle
Umbrecht, a business empire,
a lucky penny, a screened-in
charabanc, a Roman legion, the
silvered key to the potentate’s treasure
vault, a carboy of acid, a box of
tallow candles
—all are acceptable
and engaging Resources.

In the Prompts there will
occasionally be reference made
to Stationary Resources. These
are possessions that cannot be
physically hauled away with the
vampire when they leave the area.
Examples might be a haunted
cave, an elephant-sized statue of
Set, a chandlery, a hidden pit house,
a hereditary title to land

When a Prompt instructs you to
create Resources, be sure to create
Resources that are contextually
appropriate—even if this leads to
Resources that aren’t necessarily
the most exciting or most useful.
When a Prompt causes your
vampire to lose a Resource, strike
it out. Leave the entry legible
because lost things might come
back in time.

Let your available Resources
flavor how you write your
Experiences. Curry your horse,
ply your whip, command your
submarine. Let Resources figure
prominently when you are made
to strike them out; don’t just lose
your mansion but burn it to the
ground, or at least describe a
fierce legal battle over the deed.

Don’t limit your vampire’s stuff
to the Resources listed on the
record sheet when answering
Prompts—of course your rich
Flemish vampire will have a
fencing foil if one is needed, it’s
just not a Resource which can be
spent to satisfy the mechanical
needs of the game. If tools or
homes or tombs are needed for
narrative color you may create
them as needed, just don’t write
them down

So we need a total of 3 Skills and 3 Resources for Xiao's sheet.

Goons, each of you suggest 1 Skill and 1 Resource.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Skill Courtly Intrigue

Resource: Family Wealth

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Skill: Sleight of Hand

Resource: Hidden Book of Dirty Secrets

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And going off of what we've been given...

Skill: Horsemanship

Resource: A Prosperous Boarding House and Stable

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 14, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Skill: Weaving

Resource: Profitable Silkworm farm

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Thousand Year Old Vampire: I couldn't escape this feeling/with my China girl...

Our Skills are...

quote:

Courtly Intrigue

quote:

Weaving

and...

quote:

Horsemanship

Our Resources are...

quote:

Hidden Book of Dirty Secrets

quote:

Profitable Silkworm Farm

and...

quote:

A Prosperous Boarding House and Stable

Now we use these picks of Mortals, Skills, and Resources to build the first Experiences of our second, third, and fourth Memories.

TYOV posted:

Then, create three more
Experiences—with one
Experience each being entered
into a separate Memory. Each
of these Experiences should
combine two of your vampire’s
traits. If your vampire has the
Longship Bøkesuden as a
Resource and the Character
Gundar, a Viking jarl, like a father
to me
, you might write an
Experience like Gundar takes me
on my first voyage aboard the
Longship Bøkesuden; his touch
calms me when we first leave
sight of land.

So from our Mortals, Skiils, and Resources I'll create...

2. My father, Li Shao Ren, is exiled from the Emperor's court after he is caught receiving bribes, spared from death only by my pleas; in return, he leaves me his journal, with all the secrets I need to blackmail those who might threaten me. ( Mortal (Father) + Resource (Book of Dirty Secrets)

3. The silkworm harvest is bountiful this season, leading to great profit; Symeon, a trader from Constantinople, offers me a fortune in gold for the secrets of our silk production, but I spurn him. (Mortal (Symeon) + Resource (Profitable Silkworm Farm)

4. Kaifeng's well-to-do frequent my boarding house; with access to strong drink and to their riding horses, it is a simple matter for me to manipulate the powerful to my ends )(Resource (Boarding House and Stables) + Skill (Courtly Intrigue)

character sheet posted:

Xiao Ximu (1021 CE - ?)

Memories

1. I am Xiao Ximu, a silk weaver from the Imperial court of Emperor Renzong of the Song Dynasty; even among the other court weavers, my work is known for its delicate beauty.

2. My father, Li Shao Ren, is exiled from the Emperor's court after he is caught receiving bribes, spared from death only by my pleas; in return, he leaves me his journal, with all the secrets I need to blackmail those who might threaten me.

3. The silkworm harvest is bountiful this season, leading to great profit; Symeon, a trader from Constantinople, offers me a fortune in gold for the secrets of our silk production, but I spurn him.

4. Kaifeng's well-to-do frequent my boarding house; with access to strong drink and to their riding horses, it is a simple matter for me to manipulate the powerful to my ends.

5. ?

Mortals

Dong: A local degenerate alcoholic with a heart of gold; he taught me how to ride a horse and do other activities restricted to men, in return for me bringing him bottles of baijiu from the imperial cellars.

Symeon: A trader from distant Byzantium, pressuring me to sell him silkworms to bring to his homeland; wealthy and arrogant.

Li Shao Ren: My father, banished from the royal court after losing face in front of the emperor; lives on the outskirts of Kaifeng as a bandit now.

Immortals
?

Skills
Courtly Intrigue
Weaving
Horsemanship

Resources
Profitable Silkworm Farm
Prosperous Boarding House and Stable

Marks
?

Now we're in the last stage of the character sheet; this is where Xiao Ximu crosses the threshold from human to vampire, from living to undead.

First, we must choose an Immortal; the being responsible for turning Xiao into a vampire...

TYOV posted:

Immortals, on the other hand,
are supernatural beings for whom
time has little meaning. They
might be other vampires, angels
or demons, ghosts, scientific
experiments gone wrong,
forgotten deities, underground
lurkers, meddlesome ancestors,
invisible shamblers, softly-spoken
animated corpses, household
gods or sprites, disembodied
heads enduring cursed existences
under bell jars, or anything else
suitably bizarre.

... then we must choose a Mark for Xiao...

TYOV posted:

A Mark is a visible indication
of your vampire’s undying state,
or any other thing that sets
them apart from mortal people.
An ever-bleeding wound on
the throat, eyes that are blank
and white, a trailing specter, a
ferocious scar, a hollow abdomen
full of rats. A Mark is something
your vampire carries for their
entire existence.

When creating a Mark, consider
whether your vampire conceals
it, and how.
Example Marks include:

A pair of great bat wings—
I cut them off with a saw but the
stubs remain;

My eyes are hypnotic so I must wear
smoked glasses,

A dark halo I cover with
tall military hats;

Under the Moon my shadow takes
the shape of a jaguar;

Animals fear me, children cry;

I can become a wolf or a rat;

I have hands with the fingers bent
into backwards claws, I wear long
sleeves to cover them from view.

Ok, my fellow ghouls- I mean, goons. Each of you can suggest 1 Immortal (who will be the cause of Xiao's vampiric existence) and 1 Mark.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 14, 2021

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Chen Tuan - a Taoist sage who - due to studying internal alchemy - lived on as an immortal spirit after his bodily death. I died far, far away from home on business, and he raised me from the dead so I could hop back to my family tomb. Little did he know I had other plans.

Mark - I can't walk or run, only hop. To not raise suspicion, I pay people to carry me around on a palanquin.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Zybourne Clock posted:

Chen Tuan - a Taoist sage who - due to studying internal alchemy - lived on as an immortal spirit after his bodily death. I died far, far away from home on business, and he raised me from the dead so I could hop back to my family tomb. Little did he know I had other plans.

This Immortal

Mark: No top of skull, undead brain exposed. We wear lots of fashionable hats.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Just coming from the F&F thread to wish you good luck!

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
Immortal: Jiutian Xuannü, the Mysterious Woman of the Nine Heavens (Goddess of Longevity)
Mark: Strange Hands, often hidden under silk gloves.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

Gothic Rite posted:

These.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Zybourne Clock posted:

Mark: Eyes randomly breakout over the body so she is often in concealing robes.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A visiting mystic from the steppes who entertained the court with tricks of illusions and mind manipulation. We jokingly bartered our mortality for their entertaining guests at our boarding house one night. He did, and we didn't feel any different for a long time.

Strange hands. But this is a bit mild, given the listed examples. I suggest also adding additional knuckles halfway along the palm and the fingers separate to this point, which is even with the thumb split. So replace pinky with thumb, shorter index and ring fingers being split from the middle finger another inch or so where there is another knuckle line.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Thousand Year Old Vampire: Strange dude, strange hands

Zybourne Clock posted:

Gothic Rite posted:

Blasphemaster added: Strange hands. But this is a bit mild, given the listed examples. I suggest also adding additional knuckles halfway along the palm and the fingers separate to this point, which is even with the thumb split. So replace pinky with thumb, shorter index and ring fingers being split from the middle finger another inch or so where there is another knuckle line.

We had three votes for the former and three for the latter, so our Immortal and Mark are ready! Let's make one more Experience for Memory #5 to explain how we became a vampire.

character sheet posted:

Xiao Ximu (1021 CE - ?)

Memories

I. 1)I am Xiao Ximu, a silk weaver from the Imperial court of Emperor Renzong of the Song Dynasty; even among the other court weavers, my work is known for its delicate beauty.

II. 1)My father, Li Shao Ren, is exiled from the Emperor's court after he is caught receiving bribes, spared from death only by my pleas; in return, he leaves me his journal, with all the secrets I need to blackmail those who might threaten me.

III. 1)The silkworm harvest is bountiful this season, leading to great profit; Symeon, a trader from Constantinople, offers me a fortune in gold for the secrets of our silk production, but I spurn him.

IV.1)Kaifeng's well-to-do frequent my boarding house; with access to strong drink and to their riding horses, it is a simple matter for me to manipulate the powerful to my ends.

V. 1) While horseback riding into the wilderness to warn my father of treachery on the advice of Dong, I am thrown from my horse into a ravine; the immortal sage Chen Tuan, taking pity, reanimates my corpse with forbidden Daoist alchemy so that I might return to my family tomb.

Mortals

Immortals

Chen Tuan: a Taoist sage who - due to studying internal alchemy - lived on as an immortal spirit after his bodily death. I died far, far away from home on business, and he raised me from the dead so I could hop back to my family tomb. Little did he know I had other plans.

Skills
Courtly Intrigue
Weaving
Horsemanship

Resources
Profitable Silkworm Farm

Marks

My hands have warped into claw-like appendages that I hide under silk gloves.

And with that our character sheet is complete! I must say I like our new vampire already! Now we get into the real meat of playing the game, as we take Xiao Ximu through history via Prompts...

TVOV: Playing the Game posted:

To play Thousand Year Old
Vampire, you answer a series
of Prompts. Answer these
Prompts to learn about your
vampire, experience their
travails, and be surprised by
their doings. Responding
to the Prompts in satisfying
ways is the joy of this
game. After you’ve played
through a few times you can
find additional Prompts in
Appendix I.

You can answer Prompts
either in writing, like a
journal, or just aloud to
yourself. This book is
designed so that you can
write your responses directly
onto its pages, if you are
brave. Number your
entries to keep the
chronology straight.

In the process of answering
Prompts, you create, lose, and
alter your vampire’s traits as
instructed. Every time you
answer a Prompt you must
create an Experience and
add it to a Memory unless
instructed otherwise.

Roll your d10 and d6, and
subtract the result of the d6
from that of the d10. If the
result is a positive number,
move forward that many
Prompts; if it is a negative
number, move backwards
instead. A 0 means you
encounter the same Prompt a
second time.

Let us imagine that I have
just answered Prompt 11. I
roll 7 on the d10 and 4 on the
d6, which means that I move
forward three and end up
at Prompt 14. However, if I
rolled 4 on both dice, I would
answer Prompt 11 again.

You will notice that Prompts
have second and third entries.
These are encountered the
second and third times you
land on a Prompt. If you
land on a Prompt and have
already responded to all the
entries, move along to the
next Prompt.

Note: I will be using the additional Prompts to give all of our players a greater range of options.

TYOV posted:

If you are instructed to check
a Skill but have no unchecked
Skills available, lose a Resource
instead. Likewise, if you cannot
lose a Resource when instructed
to do so, check a Skill. When
either of these substitutions
occur it indicates that things
have gone very badly for
your vampire—narrate the
worst possible outcome. Only
Skills and Resources may be
substituted for each other.
You may not choose to lose
Characters, Memories,
or Marks in place of a
Skill or Resource.

If you must lose a Skill or
Resource and you have none,
then your game is over—
narrate your vampire’s demise
using the Prompt
for inspiration.

TVOY: The Game Ends... posted:

...if you are unable to check or lose a Skill or Resource when
required to do so, or if a Prompt tells you that the game has
ended.

Ok, let's get started with our 1d10-1d6 roll...

Prompt roll: 1d10-1d6 8

So that brings us 8 moves forward to bring us to Prompt #9. Goons, choose between...

9a) You develop a system for feeding. What is it?
What happens to those who die? Create a Skill
that reflects this.

or

9b)Something once only possible for a vampire is now done better
by modern technology. What is it? How does this affect you?
Check a Skill.

or

9c)You are wounded and discover yourself susceptible to a classic vampire weakness.
Create a Mark that embodies this weakness.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 15, 2021

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Gatto Grigio posted:

9a) You develop a system for feeding. What is it? What happens to those who die? Create a Skill that reflects this.

We move to use the stables as a secret place to peddle drugs for blood. We gain the skill Black Market Management

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

quote:

9a) You develop a system for feeding. What is it?
What happens to those who die? Create a Skill
that reflects this.

There are a lot of palace officials who are, according to rumors, either corrupt or "corrupt". I start small for now, but develop Vigilante Justice? as I clean up the trash -- and the trash is anyone I can't find a use for.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 15, 2021

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A

We know all to well how quickly secrets can be discovered and exploited. It is best to minimize the secrets that can be used against us. We use our new affinity for all things Blood, with our skill with threads and now stupidly nimble hands to take up Wound Treatment. We patch up injured citizens, soldiers, even perhaps the poor to be virtuous. Then we wring out the bloody rags for sustenance. The blood is from a living human, who now only has good stuff to say about us. Plus we leave no bodies or missing persons, so we keep ourself safe.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Thousand Year Old Vampire: Doctor Xiao: Medicine Woman

Looks like a unanimous vote for Prompt 9a

All entries were so great I had to decide randomly, but I have decided to go with Blasphemaster's interpretation.

Blasphemaster posted:

A

We know all to well how quickly secrets can be discovered and exploited. It is best to minimize the secrets that can be used against us. We use our new affinity for all things Blood, with our skill with threads and now stupidly nimble hands to take up Wound Treatment. We patch up injured citizens, soldiers, even perhaps the poor to be virtuous. Then we wring out the bloody rags for sustenance. The blood is from a living human, who now only has good stuff to say about us. Plus we leave no bodies or missing persons, so we keep ourself safe.

With that, let's create a new Experience and Skill (Wound Treatment) for Xiao Ximu:

character sheet posted:

Xiao Ximu (1021 CE - ?)

Memories

I. 1) I am Xiao Ximu, a silk weaver from the Imperial court of Emperor Renzong of the Song Dynasty; even among the other court weavers, my work is known for its delicate beauty.

II. 1) My father, Li Shao Ren, is exiled from the Emperor's court after he is caught receiving bribes, spared from death only by my pleas; in return, he leaves me his journal, with all the secrets I need to blackmail those who might threaten me.

III. 1) The silkworm harvest is bountiful this season, leading to great profit; Symeon, a trader from Constantinople, offers me a fortune in gold for the secrets of our silk production, but I spurn him.

IV.1) Kaifeng's well-to-do frequent my boarding house; with access to strong drink and to their riding horses, it is a simple matter for me to manipulate the powerful to my ends. 2) Taking advantage of my new condition, I start providing wound treatment services at my boarding house as well; I can sip blood from the living and drain the dead and dying at my whim, and no one is the wiser (P:9a).

V. 1) While horseback riding into the wilderness to warn my father of treachery on the advice of Dong, I am thrown from my horse into a ravine; the immortal sage Chen Tuan, taking pity, reanimates my corpse with forbidden Daoist alchemy so that I might return to my family tomb.

Mortals

Immortals

Chen Tuan: a Taoist sage who - due to studying internal alchemy - lived on as an immortal spirit after his bodily death. I died far, far away from home on business, and he raised me from the dead so I could hop back to my family tomb. Little did he know I had other plans.

Skills
Courtly Intrigue
Weaving
Horsemanship
Wound Treatment

Resources
Profitable Silkworm Farm

Marks

My hands have warped into claw-like appendages that I hide under silk gloves

Note that the new Experience is recorded in Memory IV, since it relates to the boarding house. When playing TYOV you should always place new Experiences in a way that connects to the fiction.

Ok, next Prompt...

Prompt roll: 1d10-1d6 4

So we go 4 moves ahead to Prompt 13! Ooh, spooky! Goons, choose between...

13a) Generations of the same family serve you. This
line starts from any living mortal Character, or
from the descendants of a dead mortal Character.
What bizarre rituals do they tie to their servitude?
Lose a Resource and create a Servitors of the
Lineage Resource.

or...

13b) How did you come to be a guest of these rich and powerful people?
Check a Skill. Gain a related Skill. Create two thoughtlessly wealthy
mortal Characters.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 16, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

13a. After Dong at last managed to drink his way to the coffin (after a lifetime of failed attempts, you're certain he would say) you discover he had estranged family of sorts which you 'adopt'.

Raising and training a small clan of castoffs and petty criminals into a proper family of caretakers and hoteliers is not without it's hardships and the worm farm didn't make it past the first generation, a younger Dong with an appetite for food almost as vast as Dong Sr.'s thirst for booze had eaten all the silkworms.

Thankfully that's all in the past and these days House Dong are the well respected and successful hosts to some of the most prominent travellers in the region.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

By popular demand posted:

13a. After Dong at last managed to drink his way to the coffin (after a lifetime of failed attempts, you're certain he would say) you discover he had estranged family of sorts which you 'adopt'.

Raising and training a small clan of castoffs and petty criminals into a proper family of caretakers and hoteliers is not without it's hardships and the worm farm didn't make it past the first generation, a younger Dong with an appetite for food almost as vast as Dong Sr.'s thirst for booze had eaten all the silkworms.

Thankfully that's all in the past and these days House Dong are the well respected and successful hosts to some of the most prominent travellers in the region.

This

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

This but keep the silk worms, they ALMOST ate all the worms. We're always going to keep making silk clothing

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You have to lose an asset on this path, the silkworm farm is gone and we have to buy raw silk from elsewhere.
Also a few generations have come and gone so we can't keep producing easily identifiable works of art as our original identity had presumably died of old age.

We definitely still weave for pleasure though, just nothing to share with corrupt nobles who are far too young to appreciate real art.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I was thinking just enough worms for our personal use, that way we don't have to keep buying it. Enough to use but not enough to have a "profitable silk farm" but ya at that point it's semantics

Toughy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 16, 2021

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

This.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Thousand Year Old Vampire: House of Dongs

People really like this one, and so do I! 13a is our next Experience. We lose the Resource "Profitable Silkworm Farm" (even if Ximu saves a handful of silkworms, it will take time to rebuild a working farm) and gain the Resource "Servitors of the Lineage" (Dong family)

character sheet posted:

Xiao Ximu (1021 CE - ?)

Memories

I. 1) I am Xiao Ximu, a silk weaver from the Imperial court of Emperor Renzong of the Song Dynasty; even among the other court weavers, my work is known for its delicate beauty.

II. 1) My father, Li Shao Ren, is exiled from the Emperor's court after he is caught receiving bribes, spared from death only by my pleas; in return, he leaves me his journal, with all the secrets I need to blackmail those who might threaten me.

III. 1) The silkworm harvest is bountiful this season, leading to great profit; Symeon, a trader from Constantinople, offers me a fortune in gold for the secrets of our silk production, but I spurn him. 2) In the year 1072, the indulgence of Dong’s found family (a band of miscreants and criminals) destroys the silkworm plantation, but they repay me with generations of loyal service. (P: 13a).

IV.1) Kaifeng's well-to-do frequent my boarding house; with access to strong drink and to their riding horses, it is a simple matter for me to manipulate the powerful to my ends. 2) Taking advantage of my new condition, I start providing wound treatment services at my boarding house as well; I can sip blood from the living and drain the dead and dying at my whim, and no one is the wiser (P:9a).

Mortals

Dong: A local degenerate alcoholic with a heart of gold; he taught me how to ride a horse and do other activities restricted to men, in return for me bringing him bottles of baijiu from the imperial cellars. (d. 1069 CE. Cause of death: alcoholism)

Immortals

Skills
Courtly Intrigue
Weaving
Horsemanship
Wound Treatment

Resources
Profitable Silkworm Farm
Servitors of the Lineage (Dong family)

Marks

My hands have warped into claw-like appendages that I hide under silk gloves

Here are a couple of guidelines for answering Prompts from the corebook:

TVOV posted:

Answer Prompts in a way
that feels natural.

Never force things. If relationships
between existing Traits or past
events relate to a Prompt, work
them in. You do not need
to answer every question in
the Prompt.

Prompts will often combine
to tell stories.

If a helpful Character was introduced in
one Prompt and the following
Prompt has the vampire
acquire a new Resource, find
the relationship between them.
Any amount of time can pass
between Prompts, so several
Prompts might join together
to make a story arc that lasts
days or decades.

Cede control to the game.

Prompts are sparks for creativity
and connection. Feel free to
gently reinterpret answers to
earlier Prompts to better make
sense of current situations.
But you should not try to tie
everything together, it’s not
necessary. Your vampire will
live for a thousand years, and
many small, unresolved events
will occur during their existence.
Sometimes a Character will
appear and then leave the game
without accomplishing anything
of note, or a Resource will go
unused, both of which are fine–
that’s just how life, or un-life, is

Overthinking it is
unhelpful.

Not every Prompt
needs to be important. You
do not need to explain every
decision you make while
answering a Prompt. You can
let some of it wait until
later. Let the game bring back
what matters.

Be uncomfortable.

Your protagonist is a vampire,
even if you try to keep them
decent and humane. Terrible
and delicious things are
going to happen. You should
have moments of discomfort
as Prompts combine with
constrained resources to result
in your vampire murdering
loved ones and performing
strange deeds. This is a
strength of the game, so let
darkness fall where it may.

Prompts are opportunities
to learn about history
and the real world.

Turn to Wikipedia and read about
the different types of Turkish
nobility if you need to.

The game will wait.

With that out of our way, next Prompt...

Prompt roll (from 13): 1d10-1d6 6

We go to Prompt 19! Goons, select your Prompt at will.

19a) Two friendly Characters (Mortal or Immortal) become embroiled in an
internecine conflict. Become involved and check a
Skill. Create up to two Characters, if needed. How do
you profit? Gain a Resource.

or...

19b) Sit quietly in the darkness, hear the creaks and drips. Close your eyes
and rest this book in your lap. Wait for the sun to round the planet.

(For the purposes of this CYOA, if this is picked, I will wait 24 hours and then reroll a Prompt, entering an Experience that suggests a significant time jump.)

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 17, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

19A

Symeon came up with one last scheme before he died. He heard of the alchemists of the East and offered to pay me handsomely to steal the hermit Chen Tuan's book of formulas. I succeeded in stealing the secrets and memorized the formula to a love potion.

Alas, I died during my escape when my horse threw me from its back. Chen Tuan raised me from death using his recovered tome and sent me to curse my family's tomb for my crime against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Slaan posted:

19A

Symeon came up with one last scheme before he died. He heard of the alchemists of the East and offered to pay me handsomely to steal the hermit Chen Tuan's book of formulas. I succeeded in stealing the secrets and memorized the formula to a love potion.

Alas, I died during my escape when my horse threw me from its back. Chen Tuan raised me from death using his recovered tome and sent me to curse my family's tomb for my crime against him.

I like this one.