Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Doom Goon posted:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1493380655912452096
I got Locke, Edgar, Celes, and Strago. I actually wanted Strago believe it or not so that's good.

Seems like this would be more interesting if you could equip esper. Someone make a rom where esper don’t teach you spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did something break with the site or is it just me? When I click the Log In button I get:

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Edgar, Strago, Relm and Umaro.

Can we use blue magic or is that verboten?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
YOUR PARTY IS Gau, Celes, Shadow, Umaro! ENJOY!

drat, this is a good group/Gau is the champion forever.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Edgar, Strago, Relm and Umaro.

Can we use blue magic or is that verboten?

Lore is fine, only Espers and the Magic command are banned.

Locke, Sabin, Setzer, Strago

Locke is kinda whatever but he can use the Paladin Shield and Illumina/Valiant Knife so that's pretty great. Sabin is amazing in No Magic, Setzer can be manipulated to help and also use Fixed Dice, and Strago brings great magic.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You can recruit him as soon as the airship is gotten, so I guess it depends on if you consider that very late or not.

You can recruit him as soon as the airship is gotten in the world of ruin. At the same time you're able to head to the final battle.

Yeah, I'd consider that very late.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

zzMisc posted:

You can recruit him as soon as the airship is gotten in the world of ruin. At the same time you're able to head to the final battle.

Yeah, I'd consider that very late.

I mean, sure, if you decide to skip the entire second half of the game and go straight to the last boss. :shrug:

I changed my mind and decided to do this Fiesta in Beyond Chaos. FF6 is a really good game but I've played vanilla so much in my life.

My Terra is a Dancezerker.

I decided to use the flag that disables Espers from teaching magic, and anyone who rolls Magic as a command gets Natural Magic with, naturally, randomized weighted lists. It's charity, rules are meant to be broken.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 15, 2022

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ah, darn, just remembered I was hoping for Setzer too because I wanted to mess with slots (thanks Cait Sith!).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

That sounds like fun, I've been meaning to check those out for V and VI. That one popular Japanese FFVI romhack (T-Edition + EX) got an English translation recently in November iirc. Of course you guys would probably know more about it than I would but from what I understand it's more of a remix/rebalance at least until the end or postgame where it goes off the rails. Might be worth it if somebody wants FFVI but just a bit different.

I'll likely break the rules and swap characters when I have to to do most of the side content. It's been many years now since I did FFVI and I'd like to experience the whole thing with the new remake!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Doom Goon posted:

That sounds like fun, I've been meaning to check those out for V and VI. That one popular Japanese FFVI romhack (T-Edition + EX) got an English translation recently in November iirc. Of course you guys would probably know more about it than I would but from what I understand it's more of a remix/rebalance at least until the end or postgame where it goes off the rails. Might be worth it if somebody wants FFVI but just a bit different.

From personal experience playing Brave New World and T-Edition both, they're pretty similar in their difficulty curves, though the toolsets they allow the player are vastly different. BNW plays a lot more with counteracting statuses (using Sap to remove Regen and vice versa, and similar shenanigans with Haste/Slow) and limited skillsets (each character has their own list of espers they can use and no others) whereas T-Edition's aim is a little closer to Vanilla in scope, just with Bigger Number and no esper stat minmaxing, up to and including a final mentality of Ultima being the only important spell, cast as many times as possible. T-Edition's difficulty goes off the rails about the same time that BNW becomes an unbearable slog, which is to say anywhere from "the entire World of Ruin" to "the last 5-10% of endgame sidequests" depending on tolerance (with T-Edition leading into the EX postgame experience which is just balls to the wall Difficulty Romhack bosses) so all in all they're pretty equatable in overall satisfaction.

As far as other considerations, BNW does a little more artistic "punching up" of the dialogue, particularly with Relm (and formerly Kefka), which may not be to everyone's taste, and T-Edition is a very old patch which means it may have emulation problems on newer, more machine-accurate emulators (ie a snes classic).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh! I never posted about it but FF3 is finally going on too. I plan to get to it but because FFVI was so late it's gonna be a rush for me to complete both in time:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1498490128779849731

FFVI PR is... pretty buggy, I'll admit. Thankfully it's been getting constant patches and I skipped (so far) any of the permanent softlocks and stuff. There's a ton of weird glitches like moves going off after enemies are dead (boy was that fun, I randomly found Gau's Chicken and Gaia Gear mashup right before that and while I had him it was like free healing all the dang time) and people more familiar with I am have noted a bunch of oddities in scripting, RNG, and the like.

I did find one that was particularly positive in that right after getting Strago when confusing Flame Eater's Balloons with multi-Stone they tried (and failed) to use L? Holy which means I got it early lol. Might be fun to throw it out once in awhile though it's too expensive really. While looking into this I found that somebody on the Steam forums apparently got 2 White Winds in their list, one which acts normally and another which targets enemies lol.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 8, 2022

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah 6PR is kind of a mess, but being the 6th game in a series of ports it was pretty clear the quality was gonna suffer a little from rushing to finish things.

The Albrook Wrong Warp is really funny though

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It'd be nice if they fixed the rare steal rate in VIPR, but I'm sure I'll finish before that happens. When you're at or higher than the enemy level, rare steals SHOULD be about 1/8 chance (assuming nothing in the common slot). As it is, even when using Dischord to outlevel the enemy significantly and wearing the Thief's Bracer, it takes about 50+ attempts to steal anything. I managed to steal 4 Elixirs while doing the 255 fights to uncurse the Paladin Shield, despite getting an attempt in almost every fight.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
If FF6PR didn't release as a buggy, barely playable than it would way too far a departure from its predecessor

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
5 had a good bit of bugs too that got patched eventually. I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a patch for 6 this month, with a couple more patches along the way.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's been patched at least twice already, mostly to fix the completely game-breaking bugs. There's a loooooot of other bugs, many of which I kinda doubt they'll ever get to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm looking forward to when the glitch hunters really sink their teeth into FF5PR, and a whole bunch of new glitches get found, and the decision about which port to play gets interesting again.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
With the "official" FF3 fiesta going on this month people might be interested in this FF3 romhack I made which makes the game more suitable for fiesta runs:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6334/

It makes equipment available to all jobs as needed in the early/late game. All jobs are unlocked at the first crystal and it and has some qol stuff like being able to use items to mini/toad where needed instead of having to switch jobs. For teams that need to grind for the endgame gauntlet, the post-40 exp curve is much more shallow so you don't have to waste your life to do so.

I played through with a team of Scholar/Thief/Viking/Conjurer and while it's no FF5 I thought it was pretty fun. If anyone does end up playing it I'd love to hear how it went with various teams.

Edit: If you need something to roll jobs with, the laziest possible webpage is available here: http://modoh.mooo.com/ff3/ff3.php

Modoh fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 10, 2022

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

drat, that's cool. I've never beaten FF3 vanilla so I'm going to try that first but if it ever comes up again I'll have to remember.

girl dick energy posted:

I'm looking forward to when the glitch hunters really sink their teeth into FF5PR, and a whole bunch of new glitches get found, and the decision about which port to play gets interesting again.
I really wish I knew if a place was doing this. As it is, when it came out I noted a bunch of them I'd found off the FF4JF Discord and elsewhere and made some posts about it. You can click the '?', go back by release, and most of my posts are about those (as far as I remember I only skipped mentioning a couple).

Schwartzcough posted:

It'd be nice if they fixed the rare steal rate in VIPR, but I'm sure I'll finish before that happens. When you're at or higher than the enemy level, rare steals SHOULD be about 1/8 chance (assuming nothing in the common slot). As it is, even when using Dischord to outlevel the enemy significantly and wearing the Thief's Bracer, it takes about 50+ attempts to steal anything. I managed to steal 4 Elixirs while doing the 255 fights to uncurse the Paladin Shield, despite getting an attempt in almost every fight.
:psyduck: Are you kidding? Do you know how long I've fought for stupid Genji Gloves and Ultima Weapon's Ribbon so far? Jeez.

Oh, speaking of Dischord: I should mention that apparently Instant KO doesn't protect against it in this one so you can use it on a ton of bosses and enemies now. Not sure what blocks it but so far I've only noticed it fail on a script-locked boss (Air Force but only when it had the countdown). There's not really a death by math like FFV but it's still great for nerfing damage formulas and the rare synergy (L4 Flare or just throwing L? Holy randomly. I guess L5 Death is an option but so many enemies have Instant KO protection so no death by math as often. Plus personally I have Edgar, etc. so not even worth checking). It is really throwing me off that in this one it actually rounds up instead of down lol.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Brachiosaur (and other enemy) rates are messed up too argh. I know it's rare but people reported getting hundreds of Tyranosaurs before getting one. It did take me hours but thankfully I got one thanks to no sneeze its first round and copious Dischords. It's such a pain there's no quick reset either (just the menu which you can't do during battles). Even if there was, loading from the title screen actually takes quite a bit of time for no reason I can fathom.

That said, I found another helpful bug! Freeze apparently stops the enemy from targeting you until it wears off. That and you get Regen still functioning during Freezes and Jumps makes it really easy to get Miracle Shoes as soon as you get the Colosseum. That's true for anyone as you'll have Edgar as one of the early members to rejoin (you need the castle to get the airship). Just make sure you got a stole pair of Boots in Zozo or bought from Tzen or whatever.

World of Ruin is going good so far, faster than I thought. I got Gogo as soon as possible (after those Shoes and a Flame Shield lol, the place is kinda brutal with the throws) and that's making things much quicker of course.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 13, 2022

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, speaking of the rate/interrupt that Regen and Sap go (and how Stealing works) I found that trying to get a couple Megaelixirs from Land Ray for the Colosseum early that it was worth it to just use Gale Ring+Remedys to cure Sap from it before Stealing. With the ticks from it I wouldn't have time to Steal (or anything else, Rippler Lore or Stop Rage) even with preemptive which is pretty ridiculous. But thankfully Item seemed to dodge that lol.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I found this digging through the steam guides for FFVI pixel remaster.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2768851604

What it does is switch the English version of the opera scene with the Italian version.

The Italian version of the opera is absolutely incredible as it turns out because of a weird set of circumstances around how the lyrics came about.

FFVI released in Japan in April of 1994 and in May of 1994 an album called Final Fantasy VI: Grand Finale was released. This was written in conjunction with the Milan Symphony Orchestra and Aria di Mezzo Carattere is performed by Svetla Krasteva, an opera singer.

This is crucially before the English translation came out in October of 1994 and the lyrics for the Aria were translated by the Orchestra's writers for this specific performance.

It turns out, a decade later when the EU GBA version of the game released in 2007, the Italian translation had its lyrics changed to match the version written by the Orchestra.

And now, 15 years on from that, the Pixel Remaster gets fully voiced lyrics for the game. And unsurprisingly, the Italian, which was intended to be an opera from the start, sounds great.

YMMV of course, I can functionally read Italian so translating the lyrics to what they are in English is easy enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO25BooQnuI&t=112s

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, interesting! I get why they made Celes so... let's say non-operatic... in the English version (because unlike the guy she's not an opera singer) but it really is jarring just how different the two are.

Man, Gogo's Mimic is so weird in this one, can never tell if it is going to do something or just select off of them due to a failure. I can't remember how it was supposed to work in the other version. I've actually had Gogo use the Mimic before the character he was mimicing which is pretty funny.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Whew, made it to the top of the Cultist's Tower and back without using Magic with Umaro and Gogo Slamming/Tossing and 2 targets/Item users. I figured it was a good compromise since I'm occasionally using characters I didn't draw (since I'm 100%ing the game or close enough). I thought about using Rods but this seemed wackier and more viable.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

All done! I did pretty much everything expect for a couple bugged things unfortunately (a Rage I'm positive I got the enemy on and it even shows up in another group, and the all locations achievement which must include some weird ones where you revisit places after you're done with them even if nothing changes. I even double checked and redid the real optional visit places like the Chocobo forests) and some equipment I didn't care about. A bit messier of a game than I remember but I still think I'd consider it my second favorite of the Final Fantasy series! FFVII really did take a lot from it imo.

Now on to FFIII if I have enough time!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

So FFIII is going well:

I definitely get the hate, like with the job system its mostly stick with little carrot, but right now I'm enjoying the Viking ("that's a class??:wtc:") and Monk match-up right now. And thankfully for the Mini dungeons so far the NDS/PSP version added some items early so a White Mage can use Rods/Staffs in them which must help a lot. I think I'm enjoying it more than FFII actually because that stat stuff is just broken as hell but this is just broken in a way that there's definitely classes and stuff you wouldn't care about. I'll let you know how it goes when I get to the infamous last dungeon lol.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Doom Goon posted:

So FFIII is going well:

I definitely get the hate, like with the job system its mostly stick with little carrot, but right now I'm enjoying the Viking ("that's a class??:wtc:") and Monk match-up right now. And thankfully for the Mini dungeons so far the NDS/PSP version added some items early so a White Mage can use Rods/Staffs in them which must help a lot. I think I'm enjoying it more than FFII actually because that stat stuff is just broken as hell but this is just broken in a way that there's definitely classes and stuff you wouldn't care about. I'll let you know how it goes when I get to the infamous last dungeon lol.

The trick to the last dungeon is realizing that the overworld interlude right before the paths branch is a save point.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mandoric posted:

The trick to the last dungeon is realizing that the overworld interlude right before the paths branch is a save point.

Your only one, in versions that don't allow save-anywhere. That, more than anything, is where the anger comes from - the final dungeon is brutal and you have to do a huge chunk of it in one dive.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Whew, you sure do. Thankfully the PSP version is much kinder thanks to Bards actually being good. I beat it with Viking (good class, Provoke was so helpful the whole game), Black Belt, Bard, and a Devout before getting all the post-game stuff and then going back and beating it again with 4 Bards.

Besides some story stuff (Dark Crystals? The fug?) and a couple speedbumps I actually enjoyed this one, probably more than the first two (maybe even IV? Never been a huge fan of it honestly and at least this one has some choice. Not nearly as complex though, IV really was the start of the fun scripting stuff). I enjoyed seeing all the things they adopted later in the series. Even weird things like how Eureka/Crystal Tower is basically the Crystal Palace in FFIV (even has treasures with special battles and weird circular platforms).

The superboss Iron Giant was awful, kinda similar to another Matrix one that requires damage racing, although this one was like a much simplier version of it. Unfortunately I probably could've done it ~70 w/ a Ninja and missing crits (which I never did, got super unlucky with that. That and my Devout getting too fast that it would heal before damage occasionally, causing a wipe!), or if I knew about what is probably just a bug (other Protect sources stack with Turtle Shell's Protect). But instead I was already near the 90s so I just used the secret Onion Knight class after trying it a bunch.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Doom Goon posted:

I did pretty much everything expect for a couple bugged things unfortunately (a Rage I'm positive I got the enemy on and it even shows up in another group, and the all locations achievement which must include some weird ones where you revisit places after you're done with them even if nothing changes.

Yeah you have to re-enter Thamasa after the cutscene with Kefka, but before you walk onto the Blackjack to trigger the Floating Continent. That counts as a unique location for some reason and you can only go there in that brief moment.

I missed that my first time through and had to replay the whole game for it and the Barrier Ring in the Imperial Camp as the lone missed chest.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1510018752573997058

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Have there been any good mods for FFV:PR? Or stuff that'd be good for fiesta-ing when the time comes?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Not Putt-Putt goes to the Zoo, 0/10.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hellioning posted:

Not Putt-Putt goes to the Zoo, 0/10.

Gilgabot's terrible taste in franchise entries that aren't FF5 continues to this day.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you can also just choose to play Final Fantasy V with 4 Freelancers. You know, if you're not a REAL GAMER.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I wanted to share something but until I write something up here's my submission:

I don't know why but Thunder Bow doesn't miss on Omega so that was the key to that (that and of course Ribbon and Masamune). With the new "no counter after Search" thing I could often get two rounds in right after if Omega's double attack didn't require triaging.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Doom Goon posted:

I wanted to share something but until I write something up here's my submission:

I don't know why but Thunder Bow doesn't miss on Omega so that was the key to that (that and of course Ribbon and Masamune). With the new "no counter after Search" thing I could often get two rounds in right after if Omega's double attack didn't require triaging.

Hitting a weakness ignores evade, which is why your Thunder Bow never missed

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I think I knew that by experience but damned if I could find that in the algorithm guide which struck me as odd.

Oh! Funny enough there was a Pixel patch just the other night (first since January) so I thought I'd mention it. Mostly just softlocks, corrections to bad events, and bestiary fixes but it's always nice to not run into that stuff. Apparently Sinewy Etude was available early but iirc it wasn't a big deal. Here's the patch notes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Early Sinewy was a big appeal of Pixel as a Fiesta platform, so seeing it go is kind of a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It definitely seems like the GBA version is still the way to go unless you have a team where one of the changes works out in your favor