Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There's no reason to be feeding this to the 60 minutes crew.
What's the play, government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

The fact that we did not get a single "I am friends with the aliens (Space Force!) and am making big deals with them" tweet from 2016-2020 is absolute proof that the US Government doesn't know poo poo about aliens.

Or they know a lot and realize how terrifying the knowledge could be in the wrong hands.

There's also the possibility that they exist but refuse to treat the US as the sovereign entity of earth and go through the UN or China or something and that makes all of our leaders pouty

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

old beast lunatic posted:

Yeah, (more) confirmation that they are unknown is good. I'm just annoyed by that headline.

The headline sucks, though I am shocked they went so far as to say "these things are real" because it at least verifies that someone or something has built something that absolutely defies our current understanding of the world, whether it's the US and our people are lying for reasons, adversaries (that didn't immediately broadcast that poo poo as propaganda and has also been using it to troll pilots in the US for... reasons) or... ???

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This crack/ping happend to a lot of us back in 2017. WELCOME TO THE PARTY PAL enjoy the broke brains. :q:

I literally feel like I haven't been able to think about anything else for weeks since hopping on this train and now that the government is saying "yeah it's real" I am losing my loving mind
it's like someone saying "well we're not saying christianity is real but we do have proof of winged figures chilling in the sky could be anything yo"

How the gently caress is the world not melting with this revelation there's sci fi poo poo out there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess non-human is a stretch at this point but the defying the laws of physics thing should be a big enough deal on its own. Potentially the biggest discovery in the history of man even if it's just the physics behind what makes these things move makes me flip out i'm sorry

Yeah, you could tell me it's a bird doing all this poo poo and I would happily spend the rest of the year reading about that bird because how the gently caress is it doing that
it's something that shouldn't theoretically be possible with our current technology and if it's something in such mass production that can account for hundreds of distinct sightings and dozens of objects at a given time it would indicate we are at the advent of a new era of technology

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Butternubs posted:

This is the thing. They're not built or intelligently controlled.

Well some of the reports are probably just misidentified drones and balloons but the rest is probably swamp gas/ball lightning/earthquake lights etc.

Natural stuff that's rare enough that we haven't studied it or we just don't understand how it happens yet.

We don't even understand how normal lightning works so it's pretty likely there's other weird natural stuff happening we can't explain yet.

If absolutely nothing else is true but for the fact that someone has made a vehicle/missile/drone/whatever that can go tens of thousands of mph and be nearly undetectable, the country that has that technology is now an insurmountable global superpower while the rest of the world may as well be reduced to throwing stones at a tank

The implications of that alone (whether it's the US or not) seems brainshattering to me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

GolfHole posted:

you're right this would be scary but good news: all the powerful countries have this technology

if everyone had it there'd be no reason to hide it
there's money to be made

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's not aliens it's ball lightning seems like splitting hairs about your preferred brand of supernatural

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Captain Jesus posted:

It seems more likely that the tic tac doing weird maneuvers above the ocean is aliens rather than swamp gas/ball lightning/earthquake lights because the former sounds exactly like what we would expect from aliens, while the latter just sounds incredibly stupid.

I am ready to accept any natural phenomenon that behaves like this with open arms when someone is able to make a case for it, but so far it's mostly been "well, it can't be aliens so it's probably something else" which does sound pretty ignorant.

It's obviously not russian or chinese technology, because it's absurd to think they would be able to develop something like this 15 years ago and literally do nothing with it. If it's some unknown natural phenomenon, it would pretty much just as weird as if it was aliens.

So unless it's all birds and weather balloons and lying pilots, aliens sound like the next best thing.

This is exactly where my head is at with everything.
Even if it's natural phenomena let's figure out what the hell that is it's all weird and cool just get hyped for the mystery people

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I hope there are more videos and stories and stuff in the release

I have no idea what's going on, no expertise to guess, and although I Want To Believe :tinfoil: I refuse to do so without overwhelming proof

But I love spooky stories of the weird and unexplained, and this is zapping me straight back to my teenage years reading the skinwalker thread or w/e and getting a little thrill

Hell yeah, if nothing else take stock of the history we're witnessing. The US government just admitted there are things violating our airspace and we are incapable of stopping them. If that's a feint to hide our own technological superiority it's a loving weird one but it also means we've invented something near enough to anti-gravity that is an equivalent leap forward from the fledgling 1900s flight to now, if it's true and it's another country's doing we're at the beginning of a sea change in global power, if it's natural then there's unknown phenomena behaving in ways we can't understand, and if they're physical objects and the pilots and all their instruments are accurate there's something completely foreign, literally alien to our understanding of the world sharing space with us right this second.

If you are not a little excited and a little scared, I don't know that anything will get you excited

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It only takes our understanding of physics to be fundamentally flawed and one species in a billion billion to figure out FTL and how to scan deep space for other life

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DickParasite posted:

And? I was responding to the poster who stated FTL was a necessity to exploring the galaxy. They were incorrect.

I didn't say it was a necessity I was just saying it only takes one species figuring it out to negate the vast distances being a prohibitive issue
It opens up the possibilities of a close species with lots of time contacting us or a far away species with much better understanding of physics

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If Einstein was so smart why's he dead now

QED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

toggle posted:

If the aliens made contact and were guests on cnn/fox news etc, what would happen?

A serious question… how would the population react? How would religious leaders handle it? How would science handle it? How would wall street handle it? Would people be freaking out? Riots? Looting? would more ufo (sex) cults start up? I suppose it would break a lot of brains

The catholic church/pope has been holding conferences and discussions about this over the past couple of years actually and I think there answer was "bible didn't say no aliens but also since they're not humans they don't need to be saved/aren't guilty of original sin"