Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like when it comes to navies where these things are (a) big, thus take a long time to build (b) expensive (c) tech moves quickly: the result is probably "any battleship on hand is better than a better one tomorrow", so the incentive is slap a new turret on a design and start building immediately in smaller batches then waiting forever for enough "Naval XP" and the right tech to have a fleet of "optimal designs"; actually having a system where you actually need a navy operating at all times and I think it all shapes together as "just do what you want" instead of people needing to be optimal like with Hoi4 division templates which was annoying.

Maybe having shipyards that take time to accumulate shipbuilding XP would help avoid the worst of it, can't build the optimal design if you don't have a solid grasp on welding yet at the yard. Kinda like how originally you had province by province "inventions" firing to give the province a specific modifier.

Some sort of naval-presence-protecting-traderoutes thing does seem important for the period...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah I'm not sure about subject military power being good for your prestige. Their military victories, sure, but the size of their military sounds like the opposite of prestige enhancing to me, should it surpass or even equal that of the overlord. Like, I see it as the overlords thinking of themselves as lovely parents and the subjects as kids, they're proud that they beat another kid (or even a parent) in a fight, but if the kid's getting as big as the parent then that becomes an avenue of mockery. Same with their GDP - them not being a failure is good, but them being more successful than yours is kinda embarassing.

Counterpoint may be Britain in WWI?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The uniform designer is planned for the Kaiser Wilhelm DLC.

Along with a mustache maintenance minigame?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

karmicknight posted:

Their names are very loving trash.

Cannot wait for hetman of the ukranian state Wes Lee.

That's probably a better name than Skoropadskyi, even if it was hilariously accurate.
(A modern, likely inaccurate, reading would be something like "quick to fall").

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

I thought it was following your interests without regard to commonsense understandings of morality, pace Palmerston “Britain has no permanent allies and no permanent enemies, only permanent interests.” Ideology is one of the things that goes into defining your interests, but not the only one.

I get the feeling that what they are going for here is that you might want to take expedient decisions but doing so will piss off your population who want to see their government Standing Up To Johnny Foreigner.

...Kissinger being a famous proponent.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I guess roleplaying an evil country with a pre-industrial economy is technically a valid playstyle.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gort posted:

Napoleon's fifteen years dead when the game starts.

Zombie Napoleon?

Napoleon in Animal Farm was a bear, IIRC?

Edit: nope, a boar.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am especially curious as to how this would look like for Napoleonic stuff, but I am definitely positively intrigued.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This feels like it could fit the diplomatic system very well since both it and the abstracted military system need to be able to evaluate the ability of a country to project power --- if you can't actually send more than 500 troops somewhere you probably shouldn't be able to threaten them into vassalization either, nor should you be able to send your entire army to South America from Poland without a considerable naval investment.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^
Now that would be appropriate reparations.

Danann posted:

Invent NATO symbols for the ancient past and the far future.

Someone here on SA has sketched a "Horse Archer" counter once upon the time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

One could think of the USA’s star general Lee who has strong ties to southern plantation owners, for example.

I doubt colonels are going to be modeled.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The one about Cadorna sucking feels like it would go really well with the Generals DD?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I like that professional army is just made via the same kind of production buildings as regular economy stuff, complete with a choice of production methods... Makes it feel closer tied to the economic side of the game beyond some upkeep on a separate screen.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fray posted:

And military access treaties are still a thing.

They say that they tested split fronts and it sucked, but I dunno, still sounds weird to lump everything together. Killing direct unit control sounds good but I hope there's still a sense of discrete war areas and identifiable events. With the new importance of generals, you should face hard choices of where to put them and I don't know how that works if, say, the US civil war is just one big mass of stuff happening.

Yeah, and historically in US Civil War you would have had Grant winning big in the West while McClellan was being useless in the East....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I wonder if patronage could be a thing. Like have party loyalty as qualification for public jobs?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i made one for you too vicky team

Sublime Porte something Rome?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I think 'United Sovereign Archduchies' sounds better, but eh.

Like I get that it is slightly dumb but also consider that monarchist USA after 1800 or so is kind of dumb so it matches.

I could totally see the governor of North Dakota or Rhode Island or something declaring themselves an Archduke, though. And then Pennsylvania would use Herzog or something.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

The thing with Britain sniping a state from you that you've been wanting to colonized is ideally supposed to result in agitation for war. It'd be fun if in V3 this gets actually modelled a bit. Like your pops get a wave of jingoism and demands to declare war on specific nations because of minor slights.

It'd be fun because then you could mod it for like Fantasy Warhammer and have like the Book of Grudges for Dwarves.

You would also need to model being unable to switch to new production methods until a few centuries have passed.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

They said secession will be a different mechanic than revolution

Which is a bit awkward since there were a lot of attempted independences (some successful, some not) at the same time as a revolution in 1917+ and also tied up to a world war, though I suppose expecting them to model all that would be unreasonable.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is this why they're covering up the queen being dead? Because they know the game isn't ready yet?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the health of the Swedish queen?

....Though their Crown Princess is called Victoria, huh.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Allying Albania against Ottomans is always a wise move.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
If you somehow manage to industrialize the South enough the planters lose power compared to industrialists that could potentially avoid the Civil War. Whether that's actually doable is a different question...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ilitarist posted:

It's very hard for me to imagine a pre-modern state that has control over the populace compared to even the most liberal country nowadays. I imagine it's a very limited definition of control.

It's a way simpler economy, though. Like it's mostly agriculture + textiles and a handful of artisans, and there is a long history of restrictions affecting the bulk of population that are farmers.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

My generals are all idiots but have high charisma so I can’t really do anything about it

- Abraham Lincoln in 1861.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrath posted:

And isn't it all a moot point because a dev diary showed a popup that was basically "Do you want to tag switch to the new overlord"?

Which is kinda funny. "Great job unifying Germany, Bismarck. Now I can make the Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe the Chancellor like I always wanted!".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Please include the blockchain as a technology that provides zero benefits, wastes resources, and emits pollution.

-80% microchip production efficiency.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kaiser Wilheim will also taunt you in the late game but it just leaves you a bit confused and slightly annoyed

He should rather compliment you if you build a nice navy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also realistically, subsistence farmers living "off the grid" would be an atypical phenomenon. Generally you would have some elites/government taxing the farmers which considerably narrowed their survival margins.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
AI based on bug tracking:
"Pops are starving? Label it lowest priority, and get to it when higher-priority tasks are finished (read: never)"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Paradox please allow us to go into game options and tick: [X] Ability to feel human.

In Stellaris unchecking it should disable using humanoid races.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Pretty sure that's supposed to be simulated by interest groups making it impractical to fire McClellan.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Japan might be a good one also. You're fairly isolated and pretty much self-sufficient, so you can easily learn about how the economic system works in a vacuum and how certain buildings, production methods etc. impact your own market that's almost unrelated to the global one.

I am not sure given the stream --- they have some very limiting laws that may be too constricting....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I gotta check out some of these!

At least the first two of these are free! (Make sure to get the C# version of Aurora if you do get it).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pylons posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRu1Yp5ovQ

Quill18's video is up. Very much slower paced, detailed explanations. If you didn't like the meme videos from yesterday you'll probably like this one.

Him + a bunch more are listed on (previously linked to) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4hR-M4rl7uepw0qB_aT4GquyJeb6viyI, though some of the others look shorter.
(I kinda wish the Korea stream wasn't... in Korean. Looks like the game has a .kr localization too, huh)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

How many movies have you watched

Pretty sure that's SHOULD as in 'ought to', not 'can be expected to with high probability '.

For further detail, please see RFC6919

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

A little uncanny that you can reform a government manually when there’s an election without changing the president. It’s like they had a breakdown, said “gently caress this” and switched parties mid-term.

That's a thing that can happen in the US system, see e.g. Jim Jeffords. (It's unlikely to happen at the scale the game represents, of course).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Frank Starman posted:

Woah I heard there is a third Victoria???

It's actually the third Charles.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^
Does launcher not launching for a bunch of people count?

Baronjutter posted:

How do you form canada? It says I need to control the various other canadian territories but like... how do I get them?

So quill's video said something about there being a journal entry that lets you annex other Baby Canadas if, IIRC, they like you and you have better GDP. Anyway, look around your journal.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 25, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Waifu Radia posted:

Will try this when off work, Ty!

In the videos I saw that some sort of macro builder mode (dunno how to get to it) had a "peasants" column (along with estimates on profitability).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hmm,. don't actually seem to be getting infra from port buildings, despite them being set to cargo ports (and it's not the staffing...)