Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
hello friends

is this game out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

OPAONI posted:

That playtest report did show that there are lots and lots of interesting choices to make and lots of ways to cock it all up, which is a very good thing.

i regret reading that report because prior to it I was fine with the game being out in like 2023-2024 but now i want it today.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My friends is this game out yet

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
is this mf game out yet 😤

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is this game still coming out this year? Some googling says 2022 but we’re already on the second half of it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Also is anarchy/anarcho communism a valid “government” type in V3 or would that not work for glaring reasons

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
my friends, what if this game sucks

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Prediction: Holiday 2023 :greencube:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I hope Vicky 3 never comes out

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I got a secret key to play Victoria 3. I’m willing to share my steam account, so you too can turn america into an AnCap paradise. All I need are these fun random questions answered:

1) Street you grew up on
2) Third grade teacher’s name
3) favorite animal

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Fray posted:

I'm reluctant to spread that around since lord knows the devs have been bit enough by leaks already. It is indeed this year, though.

If you’re not with us Fray, you’re against us.

But seriously though, that does sound nice that it had good first impressions by PCG. Ideally, I buy this game after its first big post launch “clean up” patch, but I’m so weak willed that if I see so much as one goon saying “oh wow this is great” on launch day I’ll likely buy it then and there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Earlier this year I totally expected V3 to be pout by late 2023-early 2024 so Christmas came extremely early for me. Gonna be really shocked if late Oct is actually the release date :eyepop:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I wonder what the first popular workshop mod is gonna be.

No Division Limit has basically been enabled ever since I bought HOI4 at launch, ditto with Auto Survey in Stellaris.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh wtf. when did they decide this. goddammit

At least you’ll have steam workshop on day 1 for the anime portraits mods :anime:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are there EU4 total conversions that get rid of/minimize war? Kinda like HOI4s The New Order. Doesn’t have to be story based but I basically drop my EU4 run whenever I am confronted with a big war because it’s aggravating

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I also really can’t wait to see gimmick runs by YouTubers. Hopefully it’s on LetsGameItOut’s radar.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Wait SA user Wiz is a dev of Vicky 3? I’m finally watching the reveal steam.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Torrannor posted:

"a dev"? Try game director!
:chanpop:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What years does Victoria 3 have content for? I don’t know the start or end year

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I’m excited for this stupid game

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm trying not to be

same op

Last time I got really hyped was for Spore and that traumatized me into cultivating a feeling of monastic detachment for cool games so I could never be hurt again

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Quixzlizx posted:

I hope the CPU on the Steam Deck is capable of handling this game. I'm not insane enough to play the game in handheld mode, but I have a desk and dock setup which should work fine as long as a 4c/8t Zen 2 doesn't choke on the calculations.

This is me thinking out loud, but I wonder if Victoria 3 is gonna be less CPU intensive than Hearts of Iron 4, because that game chugs when when you have a half dozen AI nations shuffling around hundreds of divisions up and down the African coast in 1946 to invade Bolivia, known Axis supervillain.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I'm so excited for war in V3. It's always the thing that makes me lose all steam in paradox games. I'll be having a blast marrying my horse and doing princess eugenics and boosting my economy and then some stupid war breaks out and now I need to 100% hyper focus on moving mans around on a map playing whack a mole. I'll be having a lovely time taking control of trade nodes and making numbers go up extremely fast and then suddenly there's a war and now I have to focus entirely on a perfectly optimized carpet siege schedule. I'm building some massive dyson sphere or some other super-project and then, surprise suprise, time to focus on some of the worst ship combat and micro I've ever seen in a 4X game.

The combat system in V3 makes me feel heard. I have generals that I can delegate to doing boring poo poo like that. I've got production methods to minmax, leave me alone!

I like the concept of war in paradox games because it feels like a good benchmark/stress test to put your country through. In that sense it was very enjoyable. HOI4 at least got rid of the whackamole situation with front lines and garrison units, but air and sea become issues when you’re large enough and you have to dedicate a lot more brainpower to that. But even then like you said sometimes you get war decc’d by a large enough country that you go back to the main menu because it’s gonna be tedium, even as the stronger power.

Definitely hoping V3 lets me hand off the reins with the micro if I’m not feeling up to the task.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I hope this game never comes out

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Two questions, the first which might be too early to tell:

1) are there any bugs/glitches which are serious/numerous enough to warrant waiting on, or is this a polished-by-paradox-standards release?

2) does this run well on Linux/Proton?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

No new radicals? I guess you only get what you give.

Boooo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I feel like trying to learn the game through Chile is a newbie trap. I’m so confused and can only build like one building once a generation and all the buildings are predicted to be negative income

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do I figure out what my population needs in order to increase quality of life?

Still trying to learn the game as Chile, and try as I might, I can’t seem to get my impoverishment level above twice despite how many farms and unskilled-labor job buildings I make.

It also sucks that construction takes so slow

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How to I increase my infrastructure level in provinces? I placed a lot of buildings down but I guess access is a third of what it should be because I’m at -11 infrastructure and my pops are backsliding there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Any good tutorials covering everything for idiots like yours truly?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

DurosKlav posted:

Also would be nice to have an menu that shows pop needs without having to hover over like 4 different tool tips.

Yeah. This game presents a lot of info but this isn’t so easy to suss out. A lot of my questions are “why is this happening” and “is what I’m doing actually working”

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How in the world do I start funneling more money and QoL to my poorest pops? Both in Chile and Japan I’ve had the issue of poor pops getting radicalized despite me doing all I can to reduce their costs of their most basic staples (food, wood, clothing and furniture). And for japan, despite all my building efforts I can’t possibly employ the 82% of my pop that are subsistence farmers. In both countries my GDP and income goes up, but I just can’t seem to translate that into better living conditions for my pops.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I just binged this game for several hours as Brazil now that I finally am beginning to understand the way market works. Ultimately, game is good for a new paradox release. Biggest things that stand out are that sometimes there’s far too little to do between construction and policy, especially as a smaller nation. Secondly, the game could use a lot more flavor for nations.

Both seem like they’ll be fixed with time and DLC.

Oh yeah also I enjoy how not tedious war is.

I’m extremely tired.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My Brazil run ended pretty badly. Early on I joined the US customs union and then got burned in 1915 when the US declared war in the Netherlands and for some reason that causes its economy to crater instantly and also mine since we were tied to the hip.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do I win the opium wars as china? I removed the UK off my shores, my radicals are going down and my income is going up, but my war support means im going to blink first before the UK and lose it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Tomn posted:

Oh yeah, if you haven't played a Victoria game before, it's important to understand that this isn't like most strategy games where you create buildings to gain resources that you then spend on what you need - instead, the economy is its own thing that operates on its own rules to generate internal prosperity, and you as the government merely skim off the top of it. The goal is less to increase your personal ability to do stuff, and more to ensure that as many functioning, profitable businesses are set up as possible so that you can reap the aggregate tax income.

Regarding tariffs, personally I'd say it depends on your situation and goals. If you need a good as an input for your industries then yes, raising tariffs on exports is a good way to discourage exports and keep the price of the good low within your country. However, if you can afford to do without the resource or the price is extremely slanted one way or another, raising tariffs in the appropriate direction can be a pretty good way to gain much-needed government income - if the price is extremely high or low trade is still going to happen in large volumes, you just get to keep a larger cut of the profits.

Also if your infrastructure sucks by nature, then yeah you need to beeline for railroads immediately and build up what ports you can in the meantime.

So this post from over a dozen pages back really helped me get what was happening. Do you have any more advice in this same vein? Thread moves really fast. I was totally playing this game wrong thinking I had to hoard all my resources and make prices for items as cheap as possible in order to increase standard of living and I wasn’t really getting anywhere with it until I read this post.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How in the world do I win the opium wars as Qing? I have a huge numbers advantage but I lose the front after they make a naval invasion every single time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Stux posted:

no. it has some stuff that needs fixing but probably my favorite paradox release after eu4 now. i guess more specifically mixed would be fair except when u click on the reviews making it mixed its just pure insanity instead of the actual reasons why it should be mixed lol

Demon_Corsair posted:

I would say it’s a good launch for a paradox release and the bones are fabulous, but it will need a few patches and dlcs to really shine.
this basically.

I'm only about 20 hours in and I can see where the seams are starting to tear and some of the event types are really repetitive, like exposing the priest for his crimes of....something or another..but I can see this becoming something great. I feel like its bad to buy something based on what it can be, but that seems to come with the territory with paradox titles.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Any tips on how to build nations in closed markets? It was pretty easy to tailor Brazil as an export economy for the US within their market, but it’s much harder to do so as Qing or Japan. Am I *supposed* to join a market as the optimal play or is it possible to be an economic powerhouse alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Do the buildings I build influence the clout of certain IGs? I still don’t quite figure out how IGs work, how their strength is determined from “wealth”, how that bleeds into clout and election momentum. The whole thing is a black box for me.

Additionally, is the horrible late game performance just my aging i7 8700 or is it something Paradox has pinned down as a widespread problem? Seems like a few people ITT have the same issue but I don’t know their specs relative to mine.